Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Foo Diddley posted:

Wow, I can't wait to trade all kinds of goods between Port Olisar and... uh...

Well anyway, I'm sure it will be amazing and not a boring tedious grind like Elite

man even the thought of elite adding immersion timers to loading/unloading 700T of cargo is enough to make it feel better in it's current state, let alone doing the 700T manually with your space legs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Sabreseven posted:

Just congratulate him on discovering one of the deepcover goons and then ask him if he's found all the others yet. :D

That'll gently caress him right up, probably won't sleep for a week. :)

I don't know what the hell you think you're doing, but getting those goons where they are was some pretty hard work so I'd appreciate it if you stopped pointing the spotlight in their direction tia

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Sarsapariller posted:

Did they completely redo the cutlass again or is that some entirely different ship?

The Cutlass is on something like its sixth redo. That's a topic that I've actually followed and I've completely lost track. As near as I can tell it's suffering from constant scaling issues sourced in their mocap shoots for whatever happens in one for Sq42. But when that demands that the whole thing carry some kind of sound stage everything gets redone.

At this point it's a larger than that gunship from their reality tv show and most of that space is allotted for people to be positioned inside of it without any other functionality.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
when are they going to have the Sand worm in the playable demo, since what in 2015, it was just weeks away from being finished.

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

a cargo/trading "gameplay loop" is featured in whatever this segment is now: https://youtu.be/rbC1OmEB-nE?t=4m

Woot!

They are stingy with the bugs now. All I saw was that, when the commando picked up the first box, his foot was planted on top of it.

Also the pickaxe logo on the box was z-fighting.

Edit: Also, when the commando presses 'pick up' on the box, the box instantly rotates 180 degrees (you can see the logo flip). When the static box turns into a physical box, the rotation is either ignored or not synced right.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbC1OmEB-nE&t=314s

Edit2: Also this was just single player. No proof that any of this riveting gameplay works online.

Pantsbird fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 20, 2017

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

a cargo/trading "gameplay loop" is featured in whatever this segment is now: https://youtu.be/rbC1OmEB-nE?t=4m

Called it a few pages back

16 missions
Basic cargo system
= MVP

Evocati will be testing those missions so will have completed all content by the time they roll it out to live.

They'll firefight it for a few months amidst more devs leaving, more refunds, Turbulent gets a payday, then when the money runs out Charlie Hall runs a piece on how Chris Roberts was too far ahead of his time.

Squadron 42 does not exist and will never exist

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

What is the heaviest cargo as I need to know so I can full up my ship with it because my ship punches above its weight, so by adding more weight it punches above its new weight.

/me buys weight hax

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Mangoose posted:

I don't know what the hell you think you're doing, but getting those goons where they are was some pretty hard work so I'd appreciate it if you stopped pointing the spotlight in their direction tia

poo poo, thought I was posting in opsec. :wth:

My bad. :)

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Box Citizen looks poo poo.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
It's amazing - pick it up, put it down. Anywhere in the cargo bay.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

SomethingJones posted:

Called it a few pages back

16 missions
Basic cargo system
= MVP

Evocati will be testing those missions so will have completed all content by the time they roll it out to live.

They'll firefight it for a few months amidst more devs leaving, more refunds, Turbulent gets a payday, then when the money runs out Charlie Hall runs a piece on how Chris Roberts was too far ahead of his time.

Squadron 42 does not exist and will never exist

To highlight this point you need that old interview with CRobblers from like 2016 when he said that they have already delivered ship boarding, bounty hunting, missions and a bunch of other stuff.

Throwing out a moon and calling the ability to move cargo between grimhex and olisar trading fulfills pretty much every promise if you are a big enough of an rear end in a top hat to argue the existence of 0.00001% of a feature technically delivering on that feature since 0.00001% technically isn't 0%.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Have they teased more new ships for the anniversary sale or is it all existing JPEGs?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

his nibs posted:

It's amazing - pick it up, put it down. Anywhere in the cargo bay.

No other game has managed such fidelity!

Your ship just materializes out of thin air with the cargo, and then the cargo disappears at the press of a button, just like in real life.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

History Comes Inside! posted:

Have they teased more new ships for the anniversary sale or is it all existing JPEGs?

There are going to be 2 new ships for the anniversary, or at least that's what the people at reddit expect.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

trucutru posted:

There are going to be 2 new ships for the anniversary, or at least that's what the people at reddit expect.

There are going to be 2 new jpegs for the anniversary, or at least that's what the people at SA expect.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

VictorianQueerLit posted:

To highlight this point you need that old interview with CRobblers from like 2016 when he said that they have already delivered ship boarding, bounty hunting, missions and a bunch of other stuff.

Throwing out a moon and calling the ability to move cargo between grimhex and olisar trading fulfills pretty much every promise if you are a big enough of an rear end in a top hat to argue the existence of 0.00001% of a feature technically delivering on that feature since 0.00001% technically isn't 0%.

That Crobbler interview came right after a Ben interview wherein he said there was nothing to do in the game besides "dogfighting, dogfighting and more dogfighting".

They've cranked up the client number which tells me they have scrapped the plan to rebuild the networking - because it worked, look, there's 32 players in Olisar so clearly we don't need to rebuild it. Next thing is a network guy leaves. Hmmm.

All that alien language bullshit isn't for the game, that's for promo videos to sell ships.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

VictorianQueerLit posted:

The rest is emergent game play. Give people cargo and pirates will naturally follow, then people will form their own police force to counter the pirates. It's just a sandbox, it's not Chris Roberts fault if you don't have any imagination. You just wait until 4.0 when base building is fully implemented and we get a secondworking planet, goons will be clamouring to play the BDSSE. 2 weeks.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Foo Diddley posted:

Wow, I can't wait to trade all kinds of goods between Port Olisar and... uh...

Well anyway, I'm sure it will be amazing and not a boring tedious grind like Elite

Think of how tedious it is in ED when you use the fun and proper-feeling space flight sim to take down a pirate vessel, then have to open your cargo scoop and do that low-speed scoop/turn/scoop/turn/oops gently caress/turn/scoop.

In Star Citizen the dream is to have a much shittier fight with a worse AI "pirate", the worst flight mechanics since Chris's last attempt at flight mechanics, and then to EVA from your ship and nipple-jet around to pick up each piece of cargo by hand. In a game devoid of an economy, crafting, mining, piracy, bounty hunting, a universe, planets, space stations, a story, or other players.

Truly the final game is upon us.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

helmet

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

Nah, even though Dapper is right - he really does give me the heebie jeebies - if he really does want to come post here I'm not gonna stop him as long as he can keep it in his pants in terms of his weird love/hate relationship with me. The subtext here is that I don't think he can and I'm almost certain that if he does come post here we'll almost immediately see a big long diatribe about how he really was neutral this whole time and my treating him like a dangerous escaped lunatic was unfair because of whatever weird reason.

First you hate on Fandred and now you talk about his junk?

Maybe r/ds was for you :yikes:

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

SomethingJones posted:

That Crobbler interview came right after a Ben interview wherein he said there was nothing to do in the game besides "dogfighting, dogfighting and more dogfighting".

They've cranked up the client number which tells me they have scrapped the plan to rebuild the networking - because it worked, look, there's 32 players in Olisar so clearly we don't need to rebuild it. Next thing is a network guy leaves. Hmmm.

All that alien language bullshit isn't for the game, that's for promo videos to sell ships.

just throw in as many of the ships as you can that you sold and call it a day.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

beet goes rear end to mouth fast.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

intardnation posted:

beet goes rear end to mouth fast.

I missed that concept sale.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I've been undercover for so long I'm not even sure who I am any more!

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
https://imgur.com/TZsWF2X

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

Nah, even though Dapper is right - he really does give me the heebie jeebies - if he really does want to come post here I'm not gonna stop him as long as he can keep it in his pants in terms of his weird love/hate relationship with me. The subtext here is that I don't think he can and I'm almost certain that if he does come post here we'll almost immediately see a big long diatribe about how he really was neutral this whole time and my treating him like a dangerous escaped lunatic was unfair because of whatever weird reason.

The good news is that this kind of behavior is going to be expected, friend. The longer CIG keeps tugging people around by their noses, the more people will eventually widen up. I’d still like to think there are intelligent people out there, and some of them are caught up in this silly Derek war, but when it comes down to it, the product their defending isn’t getting better and the promises keep coming, and yesterday’s promises keep getting further back...

I don’t believe that people can be fooled infinitely. And I know some can, but not over something like a video game. Especially not where the biggest hype it generates constantly is “guess what you can buy next?!” :homebrew:

I think that as people “wake up” to the reality of the situation, they’re going to need to cope with it. Their first instinct probably isn’t going to be “wow I was really wrong and fooled!” It’s going to be more subtle, wherein they “saw it coming but decided to hold out for good measure” and “knew what they were getting into but hoped for the best”.

There will be lots of straws to break camel backs with, don’t worry. :)

If anything, we’ll have front row tickets to seeing lots of coping mechanisms at work over a fairly petty item. A video game isn’t really something somebody needs to have psychological help over, though it’s possible some people are getting close (some may already have passed it).

But I also think that CIG is taking such a long time to fail that it’s not going to be hard for people to unplug and come to terms. It’s not a sudden thing, but gradual. People will be fine, and at the end of it there will be new friendships and new jokes to laugh at. Eventually everybody splits up and CIG is a cornerstone of how not to crowdsource a video game, or possibly any product.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Alright, who clogged all the pipelines again?

Was it... the goons?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Scruffpuff posted:

Truly the final game is upon us.

Certainly seems that way. It'll be weird and sad to see what happens to the thread over the next few months.

They have 68 vacancies on their website, they've been throwing up job ads on Glassdoor and Indeed.co.uk like crazy over the last few weeks, THEY CANNOT HIRE FOR poo poo and it's completely obvious

Look at this - this is a single job listing for multiple roles, all posted today (Nov 20):
http://www.cgmeetup.net/home/jobs/cloud-imperium-game-recruiting-multiple-opening-59/

Senior Producer – Marketing
• Support the VP, Marketing on the coordination and execution of all global marketing initiatives.

Lead Character Technical Artist
• Work in a team along with the Technical Director of Content, Character Art Director, Lead Technical Artist and Animators to ensure quality and performance are met across all character assets and their development processes

Gameplay Engineer – Service & Backend

Character Artist

Technical Designer

Network Programmer

Graphic Designer

And then there's this, posted on Oct 27:
http://www.develop-online.net/interview/recruiter-hot-seat-cloud-imperium-games/0212944

Recruiter Hot Seat: Cloud Imperium Games

How many staff are you looking to take on?

The numbers will increase with the demands of the project, but currently we’re looking to hire upwards of 60 staff across multiple departments in our four international studios of Los Angeles (USA), Austin (USA), Manchester (UK) and Frankfurt (Germany). Some positions are not studio specific although others are; so if anyone is interested they should check out our website for further details.

If anyone who hasn’t done any research on the project then this always comes across the worst. Especially when we are so transparent in our development and have so much information readily available online. After those, people usually fall down due to poor punctuality, bad communication skills or a lack of confidence.

They threw up the animator vacancies on VFXexpress on November 1st:
http://vfxexpress.com/node/61

Senior Animator
Frankfurt, DE

Animator:
Frankfurt, DE

Lead Animator:
Frankfurt, DE

Senior Animator: Manchester, UK

Animator Manchester, UK

Motion Editor: Manchester, UK

Lead Animator: Manchester, UK

Facial Animator: Derby, UK

They can't even hire audio guys despite having vacancies listed for the entirety of 2017 - this is CRAZY. As well as advertising for audio people in the usual audio job sites look how completely desperate they are (posted Oct 13):
https://twitter.com/BroadcastBrazil/status/918895424609636352

And finally you can see the amount of vacancies that appeared literally in the last few weeks (some in the last few days) on JobsNeo:
http://www.jobsneo.com/cloud-imperium-games-jobs

I can only speak for myself but I see a lot of people walking away from this project - both devs and backers. This is evidenced by:
- the funding chart
- the refunds sub
- posts on Spectrum & SC subreddit
- the state of production, ie what they are putting out to Evocati
- the increase in job vacancies on CIG's website
- the increase in job listings sites being used by CIG
- the increase in recruitment sites being used by CIG

They're sunk.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

TheAgent posted:

due to an ongoing and targeted harassment campaign, I'll be taking a break from this thread for awhile

at least while sober

#IStandWithTheAgent

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Wow
That last image in the bottom right is just plain crap, look at the state of it

You know what, I'm glad of it.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://streamable.com/9ce0i

this loving sound design. like roaches in your ear

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

The Titanic posted:

The good news is that this kind of behavior is going to be expected, friend. The longer CIG keeps tugging people around by their noses, the more people will eventually widen up. I’d still like to think there are intelligent people out there, and some of them are caught up in this silly Derek war, but when it comes down to it, the product their defending isn’t getting better and the promises keep coming, and yesterday’s promises keep getting further back...

I don’t believe that people can be fooled infinitely. And I know some can, but not over something like a video game. Especially not where the biggest hype it generates constantly is “guess what you can buy next?!” :homebrew:

I think that as people “wake up” to the reality of the situation, they’re going to need to cope with it. Their first instinct probably isn’t going to be “wow I was really wrong and fooled!” It’s going to be more subtle, wherein they “saw it coming but decided to hold out for good measure” and “knew what they were getting into but hoped for the best”.

There will be lots of straws to break camel backs with, don’t worry. :)

If anything, we’ll have front row tickets to seeing lots of coping mechanisms at work over a fairly petty item. A video game isn’t really something somebody needs to have psychological help over, though it’s possible some people are getting close (some may already have passed it).

But I also think that CIG is taking such a long time to fail that it’s not going to be hard for people to unplug and come to terms. It’s not a sudden thing, but gradual. People will be fine, and at the end of it there will be new friendships and new jokes to laugh at. Eventually everybody splits up and CIG is a cornerstone of how not to crowdsource a video game, or possibly any product.

You know what, this is true and people do change and grow and move on. Right now these guys deserve to be mocked and laughed at, it's fair game. That applies to Derek too, it applies to me and all of us posting here, I mean for fucks sake I'm just as obssessed as a lot of backers. But we're all getting something out of it - the backers, Derek, everyone posting. There's something we're getting out of it or we wouldn't be arsed with it.

But there is one thing that backers have done that I have not - and that is to sacrifice money or relationships on the altar of the Crobberts. Those are the folks who I believe are going to struggle to come to terms with the cold and harsh reality that this project is now out of their hands - and is now in the hands of the laws of physics as it inexorably and predictably slides into the abyss.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm actually a little surprised that the base-building ship didn't make up a huge part of the gap. I thought nerds were gonna lose their mind over that one.

It’s very plausible that CIGs inability to show gameplay is starting to hinder their ability to sell gameplay.

The ship itself was pretty ugly, and smacked of a Homeworld ripoff. If you don’t have sexy, and you don’t have cool space toy stuff, and your only selling point is a potential mechanic that’s very clearly over a decade away... you’re probably not going to sell well.

I did predict it to be a carrier or pocket carrier or something, but it wasn’t. I think they went with base building because it’s very much an FPS component they have more ability to showcase than some sort of cool spaceship thing. I’m fairly sure we’re approaching the “buy your land on this planet!” And house building or apartment rentals on planet(s?) to cash in on the lingering money there.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

SCtrumpHaters posted:

https://streamable.com/9ce0i

this loving sound design. like roaches in your ear

It's loving awful.
The static atmospheric audio sounds like an Amiga game, the little pulsing whiny noise is tiny and tinny and lovely and spiky, and the triggered jet engine sample phases with the atmospheric sound.

Not even amateur hour level, it's pure crap.

Also you can do that in Kerbal.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

The Titanic posted:

It’s very plausible that CIGs inability to show gameplay is starting to hinder their ability to sell gameplay.

BOOM!

As soon as they started to show gameplay the funding dropped. Now they cannot show any gameplay, and who would have thought that this has hosed them trying to sell gameplay. They're basically hosed, all they can do now is show promo videos.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

SomethingJones posted:

You know what, this is true and people do change and grow and move on. Right now these guys deserve to be mocked and laughed at, it's fair game. That applies to Derek too, it applies to me and all of us posting here, I mean for fucks sake I'm just as obssessed as a lot of backers. But we're all getting something out of it - the backers, Derek, everyone posting. There's something we're getting out of it or we wouldn't be arsed with it.

But there is one thing that backers have done that I have not - and that is to sacrifice money or relationships on the altar of the Crobberts. Those are the folks who I believe are going to struggle to come to terms with the cold and harsh reality that this project is now out of their hands - and is now in the hands of the laws of physics as it inexorably and predictably slides into the abyss.

It is hard to kiss 30k goodbye. And with years and lives tied it - well it will hard, very hard to let go.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

alf_pogs posted:

at least jesus didnt have dr derek smart on his heels

He did actually, it was that pesky Pontius Pilate.
Who was not only famous for the Crucifixion thingy but he also invented Pilates.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

The Titanic posted:

The ship itself was pretty ugly, and smacked of a Homeworld ripoff. If you don’t have sexy, and you don’t have cool space toy stuff, and your only selling point is a potential mechanic that’s very clearly over a decade away... you’re probably not going to sell well.

I did predict it to be a carrier or pocket carrier or something, but it wasn’t. I think they went with base building because it’s very much an FPS component they have more ability to showcase than some sort of cool spaceship thing. I’m fairly sure we’re approaching the “buy your land on this planet!” And house building or apartment rentals on planet(s?) to cash in on the lingering money there.

Honestly the fact that it was shamelessly ripped right out of Homeworld is probably part of the reason it sold as well as it did. Citizens go apeshit for that kind of thing. I think you're right though, the fatigue is starting to set in with backers. You can only expect them to keep pumping coins into the "show nothing, sell ship" arcade cabinet for so long, and I think we're seeing the end of it. I have it on good authority that one of the new ships for the Christmas sale is going to be a Xi'an heavy fighter, something in the price and power range of the perennial best-seller the Super Hornet. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the other ships did end up being a pocket carrier.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Beet Wagon posted:

Honestly the fact that it was shamelessly ripped right out of Homeworld is probably part of the reason it sold as well as it did. Citizens go apeshit for that kind of thing. I think you're right though, the fatigue is starting to set in with backers. You can only expect them to keep pumping coins into the "show nothing, sell ship" arcade cabinet for so long, and I think we're seeing the end of it. I have it on good authority that one of the new ships for the Christmas sale is going to be a Xi'an heavy fighter, something in the price and power range of the perennial best-seller the Super Hornet. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the other ships did end up being a pocket carrier.

Those 2 are the right ships if sexy looking enough. It should be interesting to see if the faithful respond. Well that is if the fighter has the extra seat of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

The only thing I know is that the reddit masses are getting restless. Right now negative threads and comments are getting upvoted and the shills cannot contain them, there is 2-3 per day with hundreds of skeptical comments about the game.

Like, six months ago stuff like this would generate a billion downvotes and have some of the knights attacking it immediately:

Nowadays? nobody really cares, it gets some upvotes, but it is no longer a debatable topic.

Citcon and its procedural city planet stuff only bought them less than a month of good faith this time, so I doubt any brand new ships and the like will be effective. They need to release 3.0, and it has to be not complete poo poo, for CIG to have a funding chance.

I honestly don’t even get the city stuff. They have been showing big cities since apparently 2013. I was watching some of those Citizen Con videos and I think the first one they ever did had a prerendered city, but by the second one they were full on showing these grandiose landings inside space ships and looking out windows and ships flying around and all kinds of insanity.

I think the best part of Star Citizen is how cannibalistic it is to itself. It’s always the best stuff, but it’s always very similar to what came before it at the same time. But none of it ever actually gets into players hands. It’s a fun ritual of bait and promise and never give. There’s no switch because they just never get to that point. Not even close. :shrug: