Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm sure y'all are getting tired of Zul'jin posts but he is Pretty Good and I hope he doesn't get nerfed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'm not one to talk, I can only win with Sonya. But she really should be nerfed.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The only thing performance based mmr traker should do is put all the people who solo camps at dumb times into a pool and have them only play vs each other.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

I'm sure y'all are getting tired of Zul'jin posts but he is Pretty Good and I hope he doesn't get nerfed.

What a trash butcher

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

banned from Starbucks posted:

The only thing performance based mmr traker should do is put all the people who solo camps at dumb times into a pool and have them only play vs each other.

Explain? What do you mean by dumb times, as in during an objective, during a team fight, what?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

banned from Starbucks posted:

What a trash butcher

yeah the hardest thing about that game was carrying him. Thankfully the Jaina was good at landing Rings to set up my W/guillotine

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

People don't even complain about ELO hell in this game (where good play is punished by potato teammates), they just complain about throwers and that their own play barely affects the outcome of games compared to one trash player. Idk if performance based mmr really solves this except by like... conceding the point.

The solution ofc is for each team to vote one teammate out ten minutes in.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

lucifirius posted:

Explain? What do you mean by dumb times, as in during an objective, during a team fight, what?
Doing your hard camp on BoE at any time besides immediately before an objective is a fairly significant misplay (this isn't intuitive and i forgive my teammates for not doing this). That's the most dramatic example because shaman camps are so ridiculous and the BoE objective is so important. On BHB for example it doesn't really matter.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

lucifirius posted:

I had a Sonya on warhead junction who declared in draft that they were going to be mercing. They proceeded to literally spend the entire match mercing. Never laned, usually ignored the nukes, just endlessly wandered from camp to camp. We begged them to lane but they ignored us and just kept mercing.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 21, 2017

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

No Wave posted:

Doing your hard camp on BoE at any time besides immediately before an objective is a fairly significant misplay (this isn't intuitive and i forgive my teammates for not doing this). That's the most dramatic example because shaman camps are so ridiculous and the BoE objective is so important. On BHB for example it doesn't really matter.

What? On BHB, timing your bruiser and seige captures and then forcing a fight at turn in is how you consistently win that map.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Olaf The Stout posted:

What? On BHB, timing your bruiser and seige captures and then forcing a fight at turn in is how you consistently win that map.
Forcing a fight is way over my and my teammates' head, brother, but sure

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Gobbeldygook posted:

I had a Sonya on warhead junction who declared in draft that they were going to be mercing. They proceeded to literally spend the entire match mercing. Never laned, usually ignored the nukes, just endlessly wandered from camp to camp. We begged them to lane but they ignored us and just kept mercing.

Remember, if you're down in levels you need to go grab merc camps instead of soak so you can get even further behind.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

So you guys think the current ranked system is good?

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

No Wave posted:

Forcing a fight is way over my and my teammates' head, brother, but sure

If your team or theres has enough coins to launch a volley, a fight or poke war over turn in is nearly inevitable. Before this happens, take your camps so you can sit around and poke turn in while your split-pushing mercs do work.

Granted I only play with a fivestack of real life friends on coms so coordinating this has gotten pretty routine.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

beejay posted:

So you guys think the current ranked system is good?
What are the problems supposed to be and how does this performance-based thing address them?

Olaf The Stout posted:

If your team or theres has enough coins to launch a volley, a fight or poke war over turn in is nearly inevitable. Before this happens, take your camps so you can sit around and poke turn in while your split-pushing mercs do work.

Granted I only play with a fivestack of real life friends on coms so coordinating this has gotten pretty routine.
Whenever I start a hard camp chests magically appear in the center of the map so I'm happy to just get them done.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Congrats, Bacontotem. You made it into HotS.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Ranking up is an utter slog even if you have a decent ~55-60% winrate and you are playing well for your rank. If the change is significant enough, it will help people who truly deserve to progress, do so faster, and reach a more appropriate rank with more even matches. Also theoretically get the people who play like poo poo but always seem to float around the same rank to drop down a bit.

Right now there is basically no reason for me to play hero league ever because I can play 100 games and win 60 of them and depending on the streakiness of it, remain the same rank, maybe move up a division.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's supposed to be an enjoyable game mode like QM or UD, if it's something you need to see rank improvement to justify I don't get why you'd play it at all.

(This change is keeping promotion games around which is another reason it's terrible.)

If you really win 20 more games than you lose you are certainly climbing a few ranks with the current system. No guarantee of that with this new system if the black box hates you - and it will be hosed up in a lot of ways, guaranteed, these things always are.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 21, 2017

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Hmm yes, great argument.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
Everyone thinks they're better than their rank and will whine no matter the system.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Ok you guys convinced me, keep ranked exactly the same as it is, it's perfect and millions of people play and enjoy it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The sane system to adopt is your MMR with only wins/losses taken into account (point adjustment depending on your opponents' MMR). No ranks/promotion games, no stat interpretation. This is what ELO is and it more or less works for much more competitive games.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 21, 2017

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

That would be great if the population of the game were higher and thus better matches could be made.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The issue with performance based SR is that it rewards people who heavily specialize in one-hero (since they'll have better per-game stats than players who win the same proportion of games by flexing) and potentially allows them to climb ranks with a negative winrate. And that's without getting into the possibility that you could game the system - eg it's likely that any performance gauging algorithm would regard doing camps whenever they appear favourably, even though that isn't a good strategy a lot of the time.

Players did advocate for performance based SR in Overwatch but now that the consequences of what it does have emerged it's nowhere near as popular (although I think it was always in the game).

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
A machine learning algorithm will correct itself and improve over time as it gets more data. It's not some guy sitting there making up rules for what makes a good player.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The issue with performance based SR is that it rewards people who heavily specialize in one-hero (since they'll have better per-game stats than players who win the same proportion of games by flexing) and potentially allows them to climb ranks with a negative winrate.
You can now right click allies and enemies in the draft to inspect their profile, so if you're a one trick pony you're going to get regularly target banned.

EdRush
Dec 13, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JayMax posted:

Everyone thinks they're better than their rank and will whine no matter the system.

For weveryone waiting for performance based mmr to bring them to their true rank... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_superiority

EdRush
Dec 13, 2005

by R. Guyovich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28BXqQWqYJU

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

No Wave posted:

Better news:

Oh for gently caress sake I just got the pun as well, Reaper of Solstice.

UUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH DAD

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

Is that timestamp right? I listened for a minute and didnt hear anything about Hanjo, don't really want to listen to all 10 minutes.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Loutre posted:

Is that timestamp right? I listened for a minute and didnt hear anything about Hanjo, don't really want to listen to all 10 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W33f_Q2rIGw&t=280s

Maybe this part?

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

No Wave posted:

The new legendary skin for the event looks like it'll be Valla. Which is too bad because I can't switch from deputy, the sound queues and animations are much easier for me to use.

You cannot link this and not link Santa Malf:

Day one craft for certain.

Also I hope they don't take away the clean Hanzo/Alex load screen too soon, we've had enough bad anime recently. This Christmas theme is nightmare fuel.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Santa Malf's treant better be a little pine tree

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Black Friday sale this week starting today. Highlights include 360 day stim pack for 6000 gems, gul'dan, greymane, nimbus cloud, raider rexxar, purple space lord mount. Some other packages too.

http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/21215184

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Santa Malf's treant better be a little pine tree

Not the best screenshot, but at least you can see the branch sticking out of its head holding up a Santa hat. The Christmas lights in Malfurion's antlers change colours constantly. I imagine it'll be an Epic quality skin.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

No Wave posted:

Black Friday sale this week starting today. Highlights include 360 day stim pack for 6000 gems

http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/21215184

What's that in real people money, if I have 0 gems right now and don't want gems left over? I'm at work so can't check myself.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

BrianBoitano posted:

What's that in real people money, if I have 0 gems right now and don't want gems left over? I'm at work so can't check myself.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

And if you are in Europe it's 50 euros for 6140 gems.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 21, 2017

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
There's also a sale that has Deathwing d.va, one of the dreadlord jaina skins, and one of the prime evil Diablo skins.

So i'm tempted to just spend 100 bucks and get a stim pack and some shinies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Stim pack is incredibly devalued now that half the skins will be gem only.