Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It's never been his most important power. No reason to shoehorn it in.
Yes, it objectively is his most important and well-known power to the point that the film even lampshades it twice and then refuses to actually showcase it, probably because Zack Snyder doesn't actually understand superheroes. Pro-tip: If you're making a superhero movie and you're faced with the option of either showcasing a superpower versus not showcasing that superpower and you end up choosing the latter option, you are in fact a dickmonkey. The reason to "shoehorn it in" is so you can have a cool scene of

A) Arthur looking like a BAMF while riding on whales
B) A Kraken being released (tm)
C) Sharks eating parademons.
D) Sharks eating Steppenwolf
E) Sharks
F) All of the above

(And I know Snyder is the one who omitted this power because Geoff Johns loves showing Aquaman doing all that stuff and Whedon came in too late to make any important decisions on those depictions.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

But pretty much all of Aquaman's scenes were green screened in, so there's absolutely no telling what was left on the cutting room floor.

I maintain it's a cool thing he can do, and the thing people who don't read comics know him most for, but it's not his main or only thing. I read like twenty issues of the Rebirth Aquaman, which was great, btw, and controlling fish was not something he did a lot of in it for the main reason that he wouldn't want to endanger innocent creatures in his service.

Getting a scene where he does it in this film would have had to really have been shoehorned in with the generic plot they wanted to go with, maybe not in whatever was originally going to happen.

I'm not going to argue Aquaman wasn't underserved here, he was. But there just wasn't room for him if they're gonna try to keep it under two hours, to showcase the stuff about him. Aquaman would be better if he was more fully fleshed out, but storytelling would have suffered (more) to throw in another underwater set piece.

There one place you maybe could have put usage of the power in, when he and Mera fight Steppenwolf, was likely impossible as that's one of the scenes that was already filmed and made, it would have been too expensive to redo or change the effects of. Because it was so early, if it had been something that was supposed to happen, the reveal of a giant gently caress off shark probably would have been later in the movie than his first scene, something they would have built up to.

The conversations between Wayne and Curry seem to have been trying to implant some mystery as to whether he really "talks to fish", something that would be answered in a big way in a moment in the climactic battle.

But the whole village with that guy and his family in a house that seemed so obviously inserted in later, because it seems the executives wanted a remote village so they could say "no one died, and look at rescuing civilians!" So instead it was landlocked in the middle of nowhere.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Now nitpicks about stupid plot holes and things that aren't necessarily plot holes but stupid nonetheless that bother me.

1. Steppenwolf came back because the Kryptonian was gone. uh, why not any of the approximately 10000 years between when the gods were dead and there was no Kryptonian?
2. "The jet won't fly that fast" "It will for me". Cyborg can make planes fly faster than they normally do? That's nonsensical. Why even say it won't fly fast enough? It's a pointless explanation to fix a problem they had no reason to have.
3. Are Wonder woman and Cyborg just watching Steppenwolf torture and kill guys while Batman and Flash have a comedic conversation?
4. How did he know where two of the three boxes were, and if he did, why didn't he know where the third was? He wasn't around when everyone made decisions where they would be guarded.
5. Multiple times people are just shouting out secret identities in front of random civilians.
6. The Lois scenes were beyond pointless. Her as the "contingency" plan would have been so much more effective if you hadn't seen her up to that point.
7. Why did Bruce Wayne have to buy a loving bank? How did he stop the house being foreclosed on? He could just have his own bank buy the debt, or just buy the house.
8. Batman is catching a criminal at the beginning and then after the parademon attacks the criminal is just bantering with him like "Whoa Batman, you see that? That's pretty wild! I bet that was an alien! Probably invading cause of Superman being dead, huh bats? Close call!" And this guy was trying to kill Batman 60 second ago, and Batman just dangled him off a roof, and this guy still had the goods he stole. Batman just kind of leaves and that guy's still standing there like "Wow, I met Batman!" like he's gonna go home and tell his wife a funny story.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Also, why even bother doing anything to do with the Fourth World if you're not going to Kirby the gently caress out of it? People loved that poo poo in Thor: Ragnarok. Nobody wants another generic video game alien horde.

JL still has this feeling as if it's trying to distance itself from the actual comic books, as if this was still 2007 and audiences still needed to be cajoled into taking superheroes seriously and not 2017 when that's the only type of movie that seems to make any money.

The flashback scene with Amazons, Atlanteans, Greek gods, and Green Lanterns teaming up was pretty cool, at least.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I just saw Spider-Man: Homecoming for the first time and that is a really fun movie. I love that the big bad is just the vulture stealing things, no world destroying disaster. I disliked Ned at the start but he got better as the film went on.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
If they don't have him talking to fish or otherwise doing water powers like he does for the entire final fight then Aquaman is just a weaker Wonder Woman. Who came off in this movie as just a weaker Superman. Less power redundancy is better.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Now nitpicks about stupid plot holes and things that aren't necessarily plot holes but stupid nonetheless that bother me.

6 and 8

Bugged the absolute hell out of me for the entire movie. The rest are all well made points, but 6 and 8 were on my list of "Please stop thinking about it if you're going to enjoy the movie". The other thing currently nagging at me is that Red Letter Media pointed out that it has the same climax as Man of Steel. Like literally the exact same.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My problem with cinematic Aquaman in the DCEU is that, while this is no fault of DC's, he seems really similar to the MCU's take on Thor, just underwater instead of in space and with Greek myth instead of Norse. Especially after Thor: Ragnarok, I've been concerned by how well or badly DC will distinguish this buff blonde demigod dude with a magic weapon, magic powers, and superhuman strength and toughness from an already existing and very memorable one who just had his most successful movie outing to date.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well if you're going to rip off a climax that's a good one to rip off. The main difference is the climax happens in two parts in Man of Steel, and those two parts are happening simultaneously in this.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Cythereal posted:

My problem with cinematic Aquaman in the DCEU is that, while this is no fault of DC's, he seems really similar to the MCU's take on Thor, just underwater instead of in space and with Greek myth instead of Norse. Especially after Thor: Ragnarok, I've been concerned by how well or badly DC will distinguish this buff blonde demigod dude with a magic weapon, magic powers, and superhuman strength and toughness from an already existing and very memorable one who just had his most successful movie outing to date.

He has a pitchfork instead of a hammer, you see.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cythereal posted:

I'd say there a better than even shot of him being done well in his own movie, since it's James Wan.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Phylodox posted:

He has a pitchfork instead of a hammer, you see.

*Infinity War opens with Thor getting a pitchfork to replace his hammer*

Welp...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Phylodox posted:

*Infinity War opens with Thor getting a pitchfork to replace his hammer*

Welp...

...I could see Marvel making a joke about that, Thor looking over a rack of weapons to potentially replace Mjolnir with, and briefly considering a trident before dismissing it as a silly weapon.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
There should be new shorts about Thor but this time it's like The Bachelor but he's trying to choose a new weapon.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Cythereal posted:

...I could see Marvel making a joke about that, Thor looking over a rack of weapons to potentially replace Mjolnir with, and briefly considering a trident before dismissing it as a silly weapon.

I'd hate that, acknowledging any sort of rivalry just looks petty considering how far ahead Marvel is.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

8. Batman is catching a criminal at the beginning and then after the parademon attacks the criminal is just bantering with him like "Whoa Batman, you see that? That's pretty wild! I bet that was an alien! Probably invading cause of Superman being dead, huh bats? Close call!" And this guy was trying to kill Batman 60 second ago, and Batman just dangled him off a roof, and this guy still had the goods he stole. Batman just kind of leaves and that guy's still standing there like "Wow, I met Batman!" like he's gonna go home and tell his wife a funny story.

For this one, did you happen to see SNL this week?

[video will only work in the US]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK0OkpQ4vEU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

kaesarsosei posted:

IronMan - I read the books and can never remember Stark being the wise-cracking laid back figure that RDJ portrays but RDJ has been totally central to the building of Marvel's success. In a decade he has turned Iron Man from a B-lister into the equivalent of Spiderman, Superman and Batman culturally.

I was reading some of Busiek's late nineties iron man stuff and he was cracking a decent amount of jokes and was pretty laid back guy, especially as Tony (when they were still doing the secret identity thing).

I just think the marvel movies understand their characters defining characteristics and motivations better. They add some humor, but never to the detriment of the core character traits.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Monaghan posted:

I was reading some of Busiek's late nineties iron man stuff and he was cracking a decent amount of jokes and was pretty laid back guy, especially as Tony (when they were still doing the secret identity thing).

I just think the marvel movies understand their characters defining characteristics and motivations better. They add some humor, but never to the detriment of the core character traits.

Tony’s gone back and forth in the comics between wacky playboy jokey hijinx Tony (see the first appearance of Squirrel Girl) and serious alcoholic genius Tony. RDJ hits both at once, which is pretty on point for the character.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tony in the comics was easy with a joke either in armour or out but I think what RDJ brings to the role is a much more eccentric, youthful aloofness. In the movies we hardly ever see much of how Tony actually runs a major, global, industrial firm (which is fine, these are action movies). For character and plot reasons it becomes clear that Pepper, a serious adult, is better suited to controlling the company while Stark can be tinkering or saving the world. In the comics you would often get those scenes of him inspecting factories or planning expansions or handling actual manufacturing problems or playing boardroom Game of Thrones so Tony really sells the part of an old school Randian titan of industry. Someone like Stane, basically. Whereas movie Tony comes off more like the head a of a tech start-up playing ping pong in a loft office. He can draw up a patent overnight for something brilliant to keep the stock high but don't expect to see him putting long hours behind a proper desk doing official paperwork.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Actuals for the weekend came in and Justice League did even worse than the $96M number that everyone already thought was bad.
http://variety.com/2017/film/box-office/justice-league-box-office-final-opening-gross-1202618983/

Lots of blame gonna happen here and I know a lot of heads have already rolled but I can't believe they're gonna go full steam ahead with even a revised universe if this keeps sinking like a stone. The studio (and more likely DC itself) can handwave all this as "well, we're totally doing things different from here on and this was a fluke" but this was supposed to be your loving marquee movie and it's bombing. Like why am I gonna see a Batfleck movie when I've seen him twice and he still sucks. Why am I going to trust that they're gonna do a good job on the already overhyped Black Adam when Steppenwolf was hilariously misused. This is quickly turning into a stench they can't wipe off.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Al Borland Corp. posted:

1. Steppenwolf came back because the Kryptonian was gone. uh, why not any of the approximately 10000 years between when the gods were dead and there was no Kryptonian?
2. "The jet won't fly that fast" "It will for me". Cyborg can make planes fly faster than they normally do? That's nonsensical. Why even say it won't fly fast enough? It's a pointless explanation to fix a problem they had no reason to have.
3. Are Wonder woman and Cyborg just watching Steppenwolf torture and kill guys while Batman and Flash have a comedic conversation?
4. How did he know where two of the three boxes were, and if he did, why didn't he know where the third was? He wasn't around when everyone made decisions where they would be guarded.
5. Multiple times people are just shouting out secret identities in front of random civilians.
6. The Lois scenes were beyond pointless. Her as the "contingency" plan would have been so much more effective if you hadn't seen her up to that point.
7. Why did Bruce Wayne have to buy a loving bank? How did he stop the house being foreclosed on? He could just have his own bank buy the debt, or just buy the house.

5. Is the one that made me laugh. In the Heroes' Park fight, they all just call each other by their first names while a police man is standing in shot behind them

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

RevKrule posted:

Actuals for the weekend came in and Justice League did even worse than the $96M number that everyone already thought was bad.
http://variety.com/2017/film/box-office/justice-league-box-office-final-opening-gross-1202618983/

Lots of blame gonna happen here and I know a lot of heads have already rolled but I can't believe they're gonna go full steam ahead with even a revised universe if this keeps sinking like a stone. The studio (and more likely DC itself) can handwave all this as "well, we're totally doing things different from here on and this was a fluke" but this was supposed to be your loving marquee movie and it's bombing. Like why am I gonna see a Batfleck movie when I've seen him twice and he still sucks. Why am I going to trust that they're gonna do a good job on the already overhyped Black Adam when Steppenwolf was hilariously misused. This is quickly turning into a stench they can't wipe off.

I don't think Steppenwolf can be misused, he's such an unimportant character.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I’m sorry I can’t let this go, and I know this isn’t the movie’s fault, but Steppenwolf is such a stupid name for a villain because of that loving band.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

fruit on the bottom posted:

I’m sorry I can’t let this go, and I know this isn’t the movie’s fault, but Steppenwolf is such a stupid name for a villain because of that loving band.

It's apparently German for "wolf of the steppe", or coyote.

Just found this Steppenwolf Panel I feel like he would have been more enjoyable had he been acting like this in all the fights.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 20, 2017

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Should have changed his name to Buster Wolf and had him going around asking people if they’re ok.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Ojjeorago posted:

Should have changed his name to Buster Wolf and had him going around asking people if they’re ok.

I don't know, that would be a bit of a crack shoot.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Something something power wave

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Change the villain to Darkseid’s younger brother Wildeseid and have Superman tell him to take a walk

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Cythereal posted:

Taika Waititi can see the future. He anticipated your post and included Korg offering Thor a big fork to fight with.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

purple death ray posted:

Something something power wave

Hey! Come on, come on!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

All very good nitpicks. Same questions I asked. Though for number 4, I was under the assumption that the mother boxes were summoning Steppenwolf, and as such are inherently evil. There was a scene where he's talking to them as if in conversation saying, "Oh I now know why you've brought me here, everyone on this planet is separated and going down their own paths." or something to that effect. Also, for number 1, you could argue that the Lanterns only recently stopped protecting Earth for whatever reason. This can only be gleaned from the trailer though, since the film doesn't utilize that (awesome) line.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 20, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

teagone posted:

Also, for number 1, you could argue that the Lanterns only recently stopped protecting Earth for whatever reason. This can only be gleaned from the trailer though, since the film doesn't utilize that (awesome) line.

Haven't seen the movie yet but the events of the film could take place while our sector 2814 Lantern is off doing something else. Which is easy to believe if the GL isn't an Earthling. This hardly seems like spoilers since it's speculation about GL's in the greater DCEU but whatevs.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

For 7, Batman is a huge fan of Inception. “It seemed neater”

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

For 7, Batman is a huge fan of Inception. “It seemed neater”

For 7 as well, the dialogue seems to suggest that Clark was like, "Why?" referring to buying the whole bank and Bruce goes on to say, "I don't know, it's like a reflex with me." or something of that nature. Makes sense, since DCEU Bruce has been shown to make decisions blindly at times.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I mean, it's a joke about how just buying a place is his go-to thing, like in The Dark Knight where just buys the restaurant. He even says that it's kinda a thing he does.

The one thing that really keeps bugging me is that the lasso absolutely should have stopped Superman.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

catlord posted:

I mean, it's a joke about how just buying a place is his go-to thing, like in The Dark Knight where just buys the restaurant. He even says that it's kinda a thing he does.

The one thing that really keeps bugging me is that the lasso absolutely should have stopped Superman.

Yeah I forgot about that. 100%

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

2 I agree its dumb for them to raise the issue at all but crazy alien tech powers reconfiguring the engines into better engines or whatever is enough for me,
but I don't really know anything about engines or machining. They probably just wanted something else for Cyborg to do.

4 Cyborg's cube is in a little case/handle thing, isn't it? That must have been blocking whatever/however he's tracking them cause he found it when they took it out to resurrect Supes. How Stepp tracks them and how Cyborg would know how to block them are really good questions that aren't answered.
8 This was really dumb. Did he let him keep the loot? I think they were going for "he lets him go as an apology for using him as parademon bait," but that's really stupid. A Batman appropriate gift for that circumstance is leaving him for the cops with his jaw and shoulder intact, not letting him go.

5 really annoyed me. I'm glad I didn't think of 3, that would have bugged me too.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The more I think about Superman versus Wonder Woman the more filled I am with impotent rage.

You could and should build an entire act, if not an entire movie, around a confrontation between Superman and Wonder Woman. What we got instead is just...oh what's the word I want here?...flaccid.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Justice Leagie did 93,8 million, under the first Guardians of the Galaxy.

https://twitter.com/GiteshPandya/status/932748860035883008

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

They do number 5 all the drat time on the CWDC show's too, and it bugs me there as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

lomzus posted:

Justice Leagie did 93,8 million, under the first Guardians of the Galaxy.

https://twitter.com/GiteshPandya/status/932748860035883008

I haven't seen that new Orient Express movie but I've heard that Branagh has already started developing Death on the Nile - he's basically hit on a surefire formula for success; grow a ridiculous moustache; spend $50 million on a nice-looking by-the-numbers Poirot movie; finish up around $150 million or so; get all the grown-ups out to see it; repeat annually. Just like Sir Peter Ustinov did in the 80s.

Looking forward to the Great Detectives Shared Cinematic Universe where he meets Nero Wolfe as portrayed by John Goodman (no joke: I would pay to see that movie), the Ian McKellan version of Sherlock Holmes from Mr Holmes and Jon Hamm as Mike Hammer.

• Locked thread