Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Lord Koth posted:

The blast door thing was incredibly silly, but at least technically possible (if still a complete asspull). For Destiny, stabbing nuclear reactors does not in any way cause them to detonate like a bomb, so I'm perfectly willing to let that slide as dramatic effect combined with something vaguely approaching real science. The scene was dumb anyways for other reasons.

Someone pointed out a few years back that one of the doctor's on board the Archangel notes how Kira has a high resistence to heat after he does the requisite atmospheric re-entry bit, which is possibly meant to contribute to him surviving the explosion. It's still ridiculous, but Murosawa may have actually tried to foreshadow or explain it a little.

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair "Gundam relationships that went well" is a real fuckin' short list. Especially if you're counting 'stayed together but poo poo went awful' like Bright Noah or Flit Asuno.

Bright only counts if you consider side material, and Flit's marriage is fine; it's just he himself is a bitter tosser who still gives his first crush more weight than his wife 60 years after she died.

chumbler posted:

I do like that Lunamaria survives Destiny, and with one of the cooler gundams to boot. Blast Impulse is very much my poo poo. Probably the least regrettable hookup, too.

That's a bold choice of words when Lunamaria hooks up with a guy who she thinks just killed her sister.

ImpAtom posted:

As of Frozen Teardrop, Zechs and Noin don't really qualify considering.

If you're counting Frozen Teardrop then while Zechs and Noin might be out, Heero and Relena are in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EthanSteele posted:

I like to think that Kati made Patrick take her name instead of the other way around because being known as Mrs. The Immortal Coulasour is much too embarrassing.

Hey, he survived with that nickname when many similar characters in other shows would've experienced a brutally ironic death. Who wouldn't want to take it for themselves? :colbert:

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Kati didn't!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
As far as I know, Bright and Mirai love each other and have as good of a marriage as you can have when one of them is in the military and has to be deployed into combat sometimes.

It's their son that's a fuckup.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

tsob posted:

That's a bold choice of words when Lunamaria hooks up with a guy who she thinks just killed her sister.

I actually quite liked how Shinn and Luna ended up hooking up. Shinn being absolutely shattered by what he had to do in that situation helps make it realistic that Luna, as someone who cares about him, would share her grief with him instead of blaming him for following orders. By the time they were a confirmed couple, a fair amount of time had passed and the loss of Meyrin and Athrun along with Rey's increasing Durandalite zealotry basically meant that the two of them had no one left to confide in but each other.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

As far as I know, Bright and Mirai love each other and have as good of a marriage as you can have when one of them is in the military and has to be deployed into combat sometimes.

Bright did have an emotional affair in ZZ.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

Bright did have an emotional affair in ZZ.

Was it with burgers?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

Nah, Bright desperately wanted to smash that la vi en rose engineer in ZZ.

I’m not sure how you can conclude they have any relationship at all, much less love, when they aren’t shown together over 20 years of in-world time post 0079.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kanos posted:

I actually quite liked how Shinn and Luna ended up hooking up. Shinn being absolutely shattered by what he had to do in that situation helps make it realistic that Luna, as someone who cares about him, would share her grief with him instead of blaming him for following orders.

See, I don't buy that at all. I don't think it's possible to look at someone you think killed your sister with love alone. Not so long as you loved that sister at least. The other person might have done it for the most noble of reasons, but I don't think it matters and that humans are just too emotional to separate "you killed my sister" from "I love you". I don't think someone would ever be able to look at the other person without ever thinking about it. Like when couples break up because of a miscarriage or dead child of any kind. The partner in most cases has done literally no wrong, but those two people can never look at each other again without thinking about the thing that's missing and it eventually drives a wedge in to the relationship.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tsob posted:

See, I don't buy that at all. I don't think it's possible to look at someone you think killed your sister with love alone. Not so long as you loved that sister at least. The other person might have done it for the most noble of reasons, but I don't think it matters and that humans are just too emotional to separate "you killed my sister" from "I love you". I don't think someone would ever be able to look at the other person without ever thinking about it. Like when couples break up because of a miscarriage or dead child of any kind. The partner in most cases has done literally no wrong, but those two people can never look at each other again without thinking about the thing that's missing and it eventually drives a wedge in to the relationship.

You're talking about a franchise where there are multiple long-lasting couples who've killed one or more parents together.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

Nah, Bright desperately wanted to smash that la vi en rose engineer in ZZ.

Seemed more like she was throwing herself at Bright and he was resisting, from what I remember.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I watched ZZ this year. Bright was definitely lusting after Emary in the latter half.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Given Bright never breaks through with any of them maybe he's a little slimy, but IF THOSE drat ZEON WOULD JUST CHILL HE COULD STAY AT HOME.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Given Bright never breaks through with any of them maybe he's a little slimy, but IF THOSE drat ZEON WOULD JUST CHILL HE COULD STAY AT HOME.

I think there's an argument to be made that the man who resists temptation is is greater than the man who is never tempted. Bright is clearly crushing on Emily, but he chooses not to do anything because he loves his wife and children. That's part of why this

DamnGlitch posted:

I’m not sure how you can conclude they have any relationship at all, much less love, when they aren’t shown together over 20 years of in-world time post 0079.

makes no sense to me. Every time Mirai or or their children are brought up in Z or ZZ it's made explicitly clear that Bright wants to go back to them, but feels like he can't until the conflict is resolved.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Replace Bright with Boomhauer.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ImpAtom posted:

You're talking about a franchise where there are multiple long-lasting couples who've killed one or more parents together.

There are? The only one I can think of is Cecily and Seabook, and even then Cecily doesn't help Seabook kill Iron Mask and she clearly didn't see him as her father anymore and hadn't with a while.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

tsob posted:

Shinn and Luna were both soldiers who didn't have the freedom to drift apart, forced by duty and orders into a situation where everything was getting immeasurably shittier and they were fighting for their lives on a constant basis in a global war. By the time they are confirmed as romantically involved the Minerva is an incredibly empty and lonely place compared to how it was portrayed when the series began. They had no one else to turn to for comfort and emotional release but each other, and Luna very, very, very clearly was not portrayed as holding what Shinn did against him when it happened; the first thing she did when she saw him for the first time after getting the news was hug him and cry despite him being responsible in the first place. At the end of the series when Shinn and Luna would theoretically have the freedom to drift apart as you suggest, it's confirmed that not only is Meyrin not dead, she was schmoozing it up with Athrun the entire time, so that awkwardness is removed.

People do sometimes drift apart because of horrible events that aren't the fault of either party, but by the same token, a lot of people don't. Sometimes a shared sense of loss is a unifying agent instead of a dividing one.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Midjack posted:

Seemed more like she was throwing herself at Bright and he was resisting, from what I remember.

Bright was 100% resisting. But I think in late ZZ, he threw out the "but I'm married" kind of excuse.

Of course Emery kind of died, but I think that was the episode that she just had the La Vie en Rose just throw giant steel pillars at Neo Zeon, so at least she went out like a badass.

Droyer posted:

makes no sense to me. Every time Mirai or or their children are brought up in Z or ZZ it's made explicitly clear that Bright wants to go back to them, but feels like he can't until the conflict is resolved.

And the sad thing for Bright is that he pretty much thinks "the conflict is NEVER OVER" and keeps being involved in Zeon remnant incident after Zeon remnant incident until like post-Unicorn (or maybe his superiors keep putting him in the "captain of a Gundam pilot role" and never let him leave the frontlines). And, well, if you want to go by Hathaway's Flash, he definitely puts a very abrupt end to stuff after the end of that series.

MechaX fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 21, 2017

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

Bright was 100% resisting. But I think in late ZZ, he threw out the "but I'm married" kind of excuse.

Of course Emery kind of died, but I think that was the episode that she just had the La Vie en Rose just throw giant steel pillars at Neo Zeon, so at least she went out like a badass.

On the contrary, she went out like a dumbass. Neo Zeon was leaving the battlefield and Emery decided to shoot parts of her ship after them while they were retreating, at which point Puru Two just turns around and casually wastes her. Emery did a dumb thing and paid the price for it.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Droyer posted:

Every time Mirai or or their children are brought up in Z or ZZ it's made explicitly clear that Bright wants to go back to them, but feels like he can't until the conflict is resolved.

I'm unconvinced by this. Within the scope of one war, sure, can't get back to them. Two wars? Not likely but Gryps and Neo-Zeon bump up against each other I guess. THREE wars? FOUR wars?

At what point does it go from "Man he's doing his best for his family" to "This is an excuse."

In ZZ, to me, he's portrayed like a guy who is flattered by the attention of an attractive woman and the only thing keeping from acting on it is fear and guilt, not love in particular.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Midjack posted:

On the contrary, she went out like a dumbass. Neo Zeon was leaving the battlefield and Emery decided to shoot parts of her ship after them while they were retreating, at which point Puru Two just turns around and casually wastes her. Emery did a dumb thing and paid the price for it.

Now I do not dispute this account as I watched ZZ with a friend earlier this year mostly while drinking. And V still remains fresh most of all because holy gently caress that series is a lot weirder than I remembered. But the point, RIP Emery and... I guess the La vie en Rose doesn't appear later on either.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

I'm unconvinced by this. Within the scope of one war, sure, can't get back to them. Two wars? Not likely but Gryps and Neo-Zeon bump up against each other I guess. THREE wars? FOUR wars?

At what point does it go from "Man he's doing his best for his family" to "This is an excuse."

In ZZ, to me, he's portrayed like a guy who is flattered by the attention of an attractive woman and the only thing keeping from acting on it is fear and guilt, not love in particular.

Bright Noa has learned through harsh experience that he is the only person left in command of any part of the EF who has a conscience, a brain, and a backbone. If he left them to their own devices, billions of people would have died.

Once you've felt that kind of weight on your shoulders, a little paranoia is completely sensible.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

DamnGlitch posted:

I definitely got the impression that what kept him from cheating was more out of obligatory and a sense of duty, and less his actual romantic feelings on the matter.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Cool video on how Thunderbolt’s music enriches the narrative and characterisation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kv2hCZHbn4

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Been watching Gundam The Origin. I'm enjoying it, but it's a bit scattered at times. The animation is very easy on the eye.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

JBP posted:

Been watching Gundam The Origin. I'm enjoying it, but it's a bit scattered at times.

It's very much for the fans, it skips a lot of exposition and introductions because they're expecting you to know who everybody is already. Oh, you don't remember that one guy from that one episode where that thing happened and then was never talked about again? What kind of fan are you! :v:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RillAkBea posted:

It's very much for the fans, it skips a lot of exposition and introductions because they're expecting you to know who everybody is already. Oh, you don't remember that one guy from that one episode where that thing happened and then was never talked about again? What kind of fan are you! :v:

It really only does that with Minovsky and the Black Tri-Stars. Everyone else has at least an introduction or an establishing moment.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
I've only seen the original MSG and now IBO. I'll assume IBO was likely the most "adult" in terms of, well, child slavery, war is not fun and honorable, everyone dies, etc. Which other Gundam series are similar in tone to that? I want to start watching more.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Quad posted:

I've only seen the original MSG and now IBO. I'll assume IBO was likely the most "adult" in terms of, well, child slavery, war is not fun and honorable, everyone dies, etc. Which other Gundam series are similar in tone to that? I want to start watching more.

Gundam Thunderbolt and Gundam 0080.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Thunderbolt and 0080 do come at the issue from the exact opposite angles, just so you are aware.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Quad posted:

I'd argue that Zeta Gundam has some of this going on in it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Quad posted:

I watched IBO before any other series and thought Thunderbolt was great.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'll also recommend thunderbolt

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I realized something that was a nice touch for 0079. As the show progresses you can see Char switching from wearing no normal suit to frequently wearing it. Nice visual indicator of his eroding confidence in his piloting skills

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

I realized something that was a nice touch for 0079. As the show progresses you can see Char switching from wearing no normal suit to frequently wearing it. Nice visual indicator of his eroding confidence in his piloting skills

Lalah was always on his case about not wearing it and he started wearing it more after she died.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

It’s not that - Lalah tells him to wear his suit because she wants him safe. It’s one of the bigger indicators that he sincerely cares for her on some level.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

And it does eventually save his life too.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
So a friend of mine showed me the newest gundam that was in a one-shot manga. I can’t find the libk for it now but does anybody else know anything about this? What are the latest plans for the next series?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I never realized how badly I wanted Lego Gundam games until I saw this image.