Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

knees of putty posted:

aAa were very impressive in their measured approach to taking on fights that allowed them to pick up kills and get position almost every round.

They played to win the tourney for sure, but a lot of people called this boring. Especially in the later matches where they knew all they needed to win was get a few kills and stay alive late into the rounds. Obviously playing aggressive and killing people is more entertaining than sitting prone under cover, but when money is involved you want to win.

It will be interesting if they find a different format to force all teams to play aggressive or not. I had fun watching the last two matches, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

underage at the vape shop posted:

Smg supressors are bad on their own

SMG's are close range weapons. You don't want to be using them at range unless you have absolutely have too, and at close range they will hear you anyway. A compensator or flash hider will be better because you will hit more bullets on target.

Similarly, if you have a sniper, AR supressors become bad too.

I don’t disagree that I would rather have a sniper suppressor over an AR suppressor over an SMG suppressor, but the UMP does very well at range as far as SMGs go. Extremely low recoil means you can put 4-5 round bursts on target out to 100m on a full body target. In close you can just aim at the head and hold down Mouse1.

The suppressor isn’t just about them not hearing the shots. It hides the muzzle flash completely and makes the sound much harder to locate. This makes them very useful in the final circles where everyone is using gunshots to keep track of where other players are.

Unrelated, gently caress chicken dinners. The best feeling in this game is killing someone that way outgears you. Last night after not playing for two weeks I had a guy with a shotgun and M16 pushing my house when I had only found a 1911. I held him off at one door, saw him retreat, closed the door, and heard him running around to the other door. I got in position, aimed at the door, and as soon as he came through I dumped the entire magazine into his chest. Thanks for the helmet, M16, shotgun, frag grenade, first aid kit, and bandages.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 20, 2017

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

The Mash posted:

Try to focus on having one short-range and one long-range weapon.

Most ARs can sort of function as both. UMPs are terrible, don't use them. They have half the DPS of ARs and Vektors. All the 5.56 rifles are good, most for both short & long range, depending on your scopes. The AKM is a bit poo poo unless you have a compensator and use it for close range.

Ya suspect, SUSPECT! Don't listen to him, umps are great.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

Thom P. Tiers posted:

They played to win the tourney for sure, but a lot of people called this boring. Especially in the later matches where they knew all they needed to win was get a few kills and stay alive late into the rounds. Obviously playing aggressive and killing people is more entertaining than sitting prone under cover, but when money is involved you want to win.

It will be interesting if they find a different format to force all teams to play aggressive or not. I had fun watching the last two matches, though.

I didn't think they were boring though - they took fights and didn't generally camp as far as I remember (until last round of course). Compare with TSM who also went in with a strat for winning, but really messed up big time - didn't get kills, got to the circle too late to find position. They deserved to win their round, but in fights on day 2 where the zone really favoured them they were too slow and were taken out by teams occupying much better positions. A really shame as they showed real promise when they took teams on, like Noble on the ridge on game 6 or 7.

I did love the fact that Liquid flopped after their win. Scoom's hubris regarding their chances after that really bit them hard.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Getting that clutch close range kill with an uzi even though it's set to single

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Laying on the horn blasting though highly populated areas is why this game is fun

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

The Mash posted:

Name DPS
Groza 600.00125
M249 586.6666667
Vector 563.6363636
AKM 480
M416 476.7442415
UZI 479.1666667
Scar-L 427.0822917
Tommy Gun 441.8604651
UMP9 380.4358696

Shotguns - 1 shot kill.

Obviously you should favor the shotgun here since it has the highest DPS.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Roki B posted:

Laying on the horn blasting though highly populated areas is why this game is fun

I wish being annoying made me happy. what an easy life

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

UMPs are great depending on your play style, but I find myself using the AK to fill it’s role more because of the ridiculous DPS. For the UMP you need to take advantage of its increased movement speed over ARs for both flanking and dodging. They are a versatile gun and have good recoil control, while they’re DPS is technically lower, if you’re landing all of your hits it’s better than a higher DPS missing half of your shots. That said, ADSing often and dragging it to the head are a must.

Also the Tommy is bad since the iron sights are horrible and the muzzle flare further blocks your vision. The Vector has great DPS but the recoil is too high, making it useless outside of shotgun range, also you never get the kill/down until the end of the magazine which is a horrible feeling.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

VulgarandStupid posted:

Also the Tommy is bad since the iron sights are horrible and the muzzle flare further blocks your vision

Yeah but you can run around yelling "Me llamo Tomás" as you gun people down like a loving gangster

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

The Vector has great DPS but the recoil is too high

:psyduck:

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010
The tommy gun is infact the best gun in the game. I once thought i was bringing up an ak to shoot a man but it was the tommy gun and i fired it like i would have the ak and double tapped a dude in the head from 50~ meters with the irons, he was screaming about me being a hacker when I went to loot him and his buddy. It also rips people to shreds in close quarters, has very manageable recoil with a vert grip, and gets 50 god drat shots with extended for when u really just need to spray down an entire squad hiding in a building.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I will go for a suppressed UMP on fog maps but other than that I don't think it's very good

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
My favorite thing about this game is there’s no single dominant gun meta even at the highest levels. Vulgar, chocotaco, and shroud all have different gun preferences. The preferences are changing over time, even if the guns themselves haven’t been changing as much to match.

One week I’m running AR shotgun, another week I’m running AR Smg, another week m16 and another AR.
I can see how an UMP would be easier to use than a vektor/uzi because of clip duration.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
no dominant gun meta, but there's improvements to be made i think

I wish there was a magnum revolver that could take a 2x so the pistol slot wasn't almost completely useless after the very early game

also I keep remembering the VSS and Thompson used to be crate guns and it just boggles my mind

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why
I really like the UMP but I understand I'm in the minority and most people would prefer the uzi or whatever. I think part of it is that I have a small mousepad so playing with low sens and high recoil guns kinda sucks, which is part of why I also like the SCAR. Favourite AR is still the M16 though. Also illogically my favourite SMG is the Vector

e: Also the AK felt a lot better on test? Dunno if it's confirmation bias though.

Do The Evolution fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 20, 2017

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

cosmicjim posted:

My favorite thing about this game is there’s no single dominant gun meta even at the highest levels. Vulgar, chocotaco, and shroud all have different gun preferences. The preferences are changing over time, even if the guns themselves haven’t been changing as much to match.

One week I’m running AR shotgun, another week I’m running AR Smg, another week m16 and another AR.
I can see how an UMP would be easier to use than a vektor/uzi because of clip duration.

Well, the mini-14 is so strong, I don't even want a crate gun once I have it. The question, that remains after that is what do I want for a secondary, and it's usually an AK right now. What's really nice is that these two guns don't need a lot of attachments, because always looting is a great way to get yourself killed.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

VulgarandStupid posted:

Well, the mini-14 is so strong, I don't even want a crate gun once I have it. The question, that remains after that is what do I want for a secondary, and it's usually an AK right now. What's really nice is that these two guns don't need a lot of attachments, because always looting is a great way to get yourself killed.

I got a dinner last night with the mini in a straight up gunfight with a guy with an M24 and a ghillie. We both had lvl 3 helms and I was full stimmed, he headshot me down to about 5% hp but I plinked away with the humble mini and he was defeated.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Since we are talking about guns!

M4 > Scar > AK > M16

Kar98 > Mini > SKS > VSS

If I am going to use an SMG it's gonna be a fully loaded UMP cause I'm weird (and bad?). Of course the drop guns all rule.

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why
"the humble mini" like it isn't a surgical disembowelling implement of satan himself

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Changing the Tommy from crate only to random spawn is the best improvement this game has made since launch.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

There was also an AWM on the field and I'm not 100% sure the guy had an M24. Does the AWM 1HK the lvl 3 helm even if you are full stim?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

willroc7 posted:

There was also an AWM on the field and I'm not 100% sure the guy had an M24. Does the AWM 1HK the lvl 3 helm even if you are full stim?

AWM 1HKs on any headshot.

2 shots everywhere else, including legs/mil vest.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

That's right, for some reason I thought full stim made you take less damage. Never mind.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

One tip with any of the bolt action guns, you can hold down left mouse after firing to see where your bullet goes. You won't go into the bolt cocking animation until you release it.

Also if you've got a 4x on a mini, you just have to put the chevron (^) on them, and it'll hit up to 300m out. It's such a great mid range gun.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I really wish the ACOG reticle was more accurate to real life - irl the hashmarks are supposed to work as range estimation, the width of the hashmark is the width of an average human's shoulders at that distance, then that mark works as bullet drop compensation if mounted on an M16 :shrug:

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Idk what any of that means but I like too click on heads https://clips.twitch.tv/LovelyDeafGoldfishTakeNRG

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Dyz posted:

Shotguns - 1 shot kill.

Obviously you should favor the shotgun here since it has the highest DPS.
Some dude went ballistic in chocotaco's channel about this for a few hours one night and donated a dozen or more times ($1+ apiece) about it, and subscribed.

He just couldn't believe that choco preferred a shotgun for his non-AR weapon unless he has a one-shot sniper.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Gunchat, I'll take a UMP as my primary gun over an AR any day if I have a big secondary (Kar/SKS/Mini). A kitted UMP is super easy to control and seems to have a really narrow spray pattern to the point where you can pretty much go full auto at medium range on moving targets and be laughin

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Since we are talking about guns!

M4 > Scar > AK > M16

Kar98 > Mini > SKS > VSS

If I am going to use an SMG it's gonna be a fully loaded UMP cause I'm weird (and bad?). Of course the drop guns all rule.

Mini > M16 > SKS > Kar98 > VSS

I dunno about ARs, I usually end up using the AK or the Tommy gun as my non-sniper but I don't feel too confident in that choice.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Mini > M16 > SKS > Kar98 > VSS

I dunno about ARs, I usually end up using the AK or the Tommy gun as my non-sniper but I don't feel too confident in that choice.

How come the Kar98 is so low in your list?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

There are two opposing camps with sniper rifles. Accurate, fast velocity, quick fire vs one shot kill. Kar98 is harder to use, so many people default to the easier mini or m16 despite more upside to the kar98.

Something I’ve come to realize is if I’m going to use a mini or m16 I might as well use an auto 556 ar to snipe with so I can deal with midrange people with auto fire and have a 1 hit kill weapon as my secondary to lead fights with.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 21, 2017

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

No Safe Word posted:

Some dude went ballistic in chocotaco's channel about this for a few hours one night and donated a dozen or more times ($1+ apiece) about it, and subscribed.

He just couldn't believe that choco preferred a shotgun for his non-AR weapon unless he has a one-shot sniper.

I think it all depends how well the game is running for you. This patch has been a little rough for me in close combat.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

fletcher posted:

How come the Kar98 is so low in your list?

I cannot hit people in the head...rip.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

always be closing posted:

I think it all depends how well the game is running for you. This patch has been a little rough for me in close combat.

If I could Aim as quickly and accurately as chocotaco in close quarters I'd use the one shot weapon too

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

daslog posted:

If I could Aim as quickly and accurately as chocotaco in close quarters I'd use the one shot weapon too

Same. I will at least wing ‘em but the action is so slow they’ll have lit me up with their AR or whatever by the time.

Any other tips on how to improve aim? I’ve reduced my mouse’s sensitivity to about 400 to ideally prevent me from skying my shots when I inevitably spazz out but still struggle.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

sticksy posted:

Same. I will at least wing ‘em but the action is so slow they’ll have lit me up with their AR or whatever by the time.

Any other tips on how to improve aim? I’ve reduced my mouse’s sensitivity to about 400 to ideally prevent me from skying my shots when I inevitably spazz out but still struggle.

Record your games and review matches afterwards. You learn a ton of stuff when you already know what's going to happen and can see smaller details that you missed when the game was in progress.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

sticksy posted:

400 means nothing to us. how many cm or in does it take to turn 360 degrees with your mouse.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

I assume he means 400 dpi which is pretty standard. If you're using 400 dpi, just look at your aiming problems in replays, which you should hopefully be saving and looking at. If you seem to have problems overshooting your target with the reticle, adjust your sensitivity downward. If you're consistently too slow on the draw and adjusting to your target, increase it. It's really something that's dependent on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Trip report: still kinda bad and no chicken dinners, but we're getting better. I still cannot aim for poo poo on a sniper (i usually don't get the kars), but i am getting better.

My buddy (and fellow goon who may read this eventually) still handles the lion's share of the spotting because i am absolutely terrible at it. Any tips at spotting dudes near trees and stufd?

• Locked thread