Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Nah, he got actual goods for it, which is functionally impossible now.

I've been wondering about that. People are going crazy over the increased value but I haven't seen any of them say they have cashed out. It's all well and good to have millions of dollars worth of bit coin but if you can only get $5 out of the exchange then you're probably better off with wow gold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Galler posted:

I've been wondering about that. People are going crazy over the increased value but I haven't seen any of them say they have cashed out. It's all well and good to have millions of dollars worth of bit coin but if you can only get $5 out of the exchange then you're probably better off with wow gold

Even better is anyone that claims that they have gotten value is unable to tell me how much they've spent on electrical costs, because current Bitcoin calculators show that generally you'll spend at least 75-85% of your actual gains on electrical.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

mekilljoydammit posted:

This BTC conversation reminds me about why I kind of chuckle when people I know are talking about their investment in bitcoin

I can't imagine investing in Bitcoin. Its basically an $8000 penny stock with its volatility.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

That's a Texas inspection sticker on the pickup filming, but I don't recognize the streets on the overhead sign. Interstate 10 would be west TX. El Paso?

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I would be incredibly happy if every single one of those fuckers (the ones that should be fogs in most markets) never lit up again. No idea why Toyota/Lexus set them up like that on USDM markets, and why the gently caress did they cheap out on the lenses so bad :fuckoff:

No joke. And it *just* those lenses. The actual taillights are always fine. If it were me, I'd paint them with a candy red, or use a red LED. Or both.

Collateral Damage posted:

Was there a performance reason for this, or just packaging?

It's packaging, and they'r not running backwards. They just have the cam ground to match the reversed intake and exhaust. That's still spinning clockwise, most likely, for reasons previously stated (oil pump, mainly.)
Dat Potvin front mount blower, though.

e: f, b:

MrYenko posted:

That's the car, but ya, those fuckers werent pink, they were WHITE. Toyota. :v:

That engine probably isn't running backwards, it's just running reverse-flow. Nailheads have terrible ports, and tiny valves (that's why it's called a nailhead; The valves look like nails,) so it looks like that guy is trying to get around the awful valve setup by using a blower, and just brute-forcing the smaller intake valve. Drag racing didn't get super-scientific until the seventies or so. Before that, there was a lot of throw-poo poo-at-the-wall-to-see-what-sticks going on, which that digger is a prime example of.

IIRC, there was a reverse-flow flathead that set some class records out at Bonneville a few years ago. (Maybe a decade ago... :corsair:)

xzzy posted:

this mercedes ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak5thX7cZO4

Kid grows up with gullwing posters on the wall and his wife buys him an SUV? :frogout:

Dude. They couldn't have at least used an AMG SL or something even slightly sporty? Marketers... :doh:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Grows up with Testarossa poster on the wall.
Wakes up Christmas morning to find a Fiat 500l in the driveway. Goes back upstairs to bed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Finger Prince posted:

Grows up with Testarossa poster on the wall.
Wakes up Christmas morning to find a Fiat 500l in the driveway. Goes back upstairs to bed.

...weeping quietly.

edit: your avatar still makes me chuckle every time I see it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

xzzy posted:

this mercedes ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak5thX7cZO4

Kid grows up with gullwing posters on the wall and his wife buys him an SUV? :frogout:
"You're married with kids. Whatever childhood dreams and wants you had are hosed anyway. Why not buy a Mercedes SUV, and not even a G-Wagen?"

CommieGIR posted:

To bring it back on topic: There's that story going around about a guy who bought a Ferrari with Bitcoin, although I've never been able to find sufficient proof he actually used bitcoin to do so, and IIRC the guy was absurdly wealthy to begin with.
Peter Saddington, the guy who bought a Lamborghini?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY86vH7z9qA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGJ_q_mtMFc

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 20, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Yeah, that's him. He's obscenely rich, I don't think he ever actually demonstrates that he bought it with Bitcoin only.

Also: That's Ed's garage, the guy who owns the white 4000 I worked on.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, that's him. He's obscenely rich, I don't think he ever actually demonstrates that he bought it with Bitcoin only.

Also: That's Ed's garage, the guy who owns the white 4000 I worked on.
Yep, VinWiki is Ed Bolian's project.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Now if I ran across a diesel that someone had filled and tried to run with gasoline... oh god, unless it was scrap price, I would run like hell unless they had receipts for the entire fuel system, from tank to injectors, and I'd still want a compression test. The injectors and high pressure fuel pump rely on the extra lubrication that diesel provides to function properly. poo poo gets hosed in a hurry. If you fill it up and realize your fuckup before you try to run it, it's more of a matter of "drain and flush tank, change fuel filters/fuel+water separator in case they cycled the ignition on, call it a day".

This reminds me of a poor Budget rental truck that was apparently brand new that was accidentally filled with gasoline instead of diesel. This was back when I was in my college's SAE Baja team and was going cross-country from New Jersey to Illinois for a competition with the car and gear in the Budget truck. So all in all you'd think we had a good group of people that could deal with automotive problems. Not so much when it came to the truck.

On the way there somewhere around 50 to 100 miles left to our destination, one of our advisors accidentally filled the truck with gasoline instead of diesel claiming that the fill handle was color coded for diesel. Now instead of draining the tank and separating the fuel like a normal person should and what the rest of us were suggesting, the same advisor wanted to use some kind of snake oil to make everything fine. (This was almost 10 years ago so I can't remember what the oil was called but it might as well have been snake oil.) He was adamantly stubborn about it and, since he was the one driving the truck, refused to take it to a shop to drain the tank. I guess he was trying to save face from having poured away what may have been almost $100 worth of gas. Whatever the reason, there was a lot of back and forth between the advisor and the club president who had put a fair amount of his own money into the competition car the truck was hauling. We had another advisor that just sat by and watched.

Not able to find the snake oil in the area, we kept trucking on while keeping an eye out for shops that might be carrying this coveted oil. As expected, the truck began to overheat and ping like crazy when the remaining diesel ran out and started drinking the gasoline. Fortunately, most of the rest of the team and I were in the safety and comfort of one of the member's (relative's?) Cayanne. Both advisors were stuck with the truck. I think we did eventually find the oil before reaching our destination but obviously did little good.

The truck was able to limp to the competition site and we were able to do our thing. Going home was another story as there was doubt that the truck could make the 900 mile trip home still mostly filled with gasoline and snake oil. Refusing to drain the tank for the last time, we just headed home and hoped for the best. I don't remember how far the truck made it (I want to say we didn't or barely made it out of Illinois) but the truck's computer had enough and shut the engine off and refused to turn back on. Cue a shouting match between the advisor and club president as the rest of us sat in the breakdown lane along with the truck in the Cayanne. In the end, the president (who had his own car) stayed with the truck to figure out how to get the competition car and support equipment back to New Jersey and the rest of us blasted our way back very late that evening.

The next year we got a new advisor (and the president had graduated) but I never really got the full story of what happened after that since club activity kind of quickly petered out after the start of the new semester. In any case, it sounds like the engine should be seriously turbofucked after going through something like that. I guess someone didn't get their deposit back.

Moral of the story, don't let anyone from New Jersey fill a diesel vehicle.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 20, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Gas in a diesel vehicle will destroy everything: The electric fuel pump, the mechanical injection pump, it'll lock up the injectors, it'll barely burn and has no lubrication.

The only reason it probably did run was whatever little diesel was left in the tank.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

This reminds me of a few years back when my mom had a BMW. She took it in for some work and the service advisor was telling her how there were about two dozen diesels lined up for work that they were waiting for parts on. Apparently a tanker truck had put a bunch of gasoline in a diesel tank at a popular gas station, and it took them waaaay too long to figure out what was going on and stop using the tank. It basically results in a completely destroyed fuel system, where everything needs to be replaced from the fuel pump to the injectors. The dealership had run out of high pressure fuel pumps, and was having to wait on a new batch from Germany.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

smax posted:

This reminds me of a few years back when my mom had a BMW. She took it in for some work and the service advisor was telling her how there were about two dozen diesels lined up for work that they were waiting for parts on. Apparently a tanker truck had put a bunch of gasoline in a diesel tank at a popular gas station, and it took them waaaay too long to figure out what was going on and stop using the tank. It basically results in a completely destroyed fuel system, where everything needs to be replaced from the fuel pump to the injectors. The dealership had run out of high pressure fuel pumps, and was having to wait on a new batch from Germany.

BMW hosed up with the diesels in the US, there were huge waits for every loving part all the time. It took me 3 months to get a new DEF tank, and I know there were others that waited longer.

My parents have a Cayenne Diesel now that goes through a DEF tank a year due to various malfunctions (level sensor, heater, etc).

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

smax posted:

This is kind of terrifying... did the liability for the fixes ultimately fall on the gas station or delivery company?

At dealership rates I've got to imagine that's at least $5k in repairs on each of those cars, assuming replacing all the fuel systems is all that is necessary and nothing further (a big assumption).

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Does gasoline destroy diesels because they also use fuel for cooling and lubrication? I always heard that diesels could run on basically any liquid hydrocarbon as fuel, but they need diesel fuel because other types aren't as efficient and might damage seals and rubber

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I posted about this before, but I had a diesel rental car in Scotland and put almost half a tank of unleaded in before noticing, because over there green handle is unleaded and black is diesel.

It didn't like it, definitely down on power and hesitated pretty often, but I babied it along and topped off with diesel at every gas station I passed, and by the time I turned it in it was running almost normally again.

I'd never want to own that car, probably took a good chunk of life out of the fuel system. Totally dodged a bullet there.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The agency my flatmate works for has quite a few Holden Cruzes in their fleet, half of which are petrol the other half diesel.

As you can imagine this causes some confusion.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

Does gasoline destroy diesels because they also use fuel for cooling and lubrication? I always heard that diesels could run on basically any liquid hydrocarbon as fuel, but they need diesel fuel because other types aren't as efficient and might damage seals and rubber

While the concept of the diesel engine can run on almost any hydrocarbon, they have to be designed to run on a particular fuel; especially the fuel system. Though it is be possible to design and build a diesel engine and fuel system to run on any fuel, that flexibility adds cost for a feature that most users won't usually take advantage of. Take the lubrication properties of fuels for example. Diesel fuel contains some sulfur which (combined with metal alloy components containing nickel) contributes to diesel fuel's lubrication properties. Taking advantage of those properties can mean lower cost of components from not having to use special or exotic metal alloys or coatings to allow those components to run on fuels without sufficient amounts of sulfur or inherent lubricating properties.

Most automotive diesel engines and their fuel systems were designed to only run on diesel fuel so anything other than diesel fuel or an alternative fuel with similar properties will be met with disaster. The same can really be said for gasoline engines as well since a lot of cars (especially older ones) can't tolerate more than a certain or any amount of ethanol that has become more prevalent.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Darchangel posted:

That's a Texas inspection sticker on the pickup filming, but I don't recognize the streets on the overhead sign. Interstate 10 would be west TX. El Paso?

Too green to be El Paso. Probably closer to Houston, TX.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

kimcicle posted:

Too green to be El Paso. Probably closer to Houston, TX.

Yeah, it's Houston. Can't imagine an I-10 sign saying Beaumont all the way in El Paso.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DarkSol posted:

Yeah, it's Houston. Can't imagine an I-10 sign saying Beaumont all the way in El Paso.

It's the East Loop in Houston. I-610.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Oh, right. Forgot that 10 went on down there.

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...

opengl128 posted:

I posted about this before, but I had a diesel rental car in Scotland and put almost half a tank of unleaded in before noticing, because over there green handle is unleaded and black is diesel.

It didn't like it, definitely down on power and hesitated pretty often, but I babied it along and topped off with diesel at every gas station I passed, and by the time I turned it in it was running almost normally again.

I'd never want to own that car, probably took a good chunk of life out of the fuel system. Totally dodged a bullet there.
My dad did the same thing in his old powerstroke van (7.3 liter). By that time though it had already done over 200,000 miles. He did the same thing as you did, topping it off with diesel, and it recovered pretty quickly. He put another 150,000 miles on the odometer before the body completely rotted away.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

If they were on I-10, the exit numbers would be correct for the east side of El Paso (which is definitely far west TX)... if they were on 10. 10 runs all the way through Texas (hell it runs all the way from Cali to Florida), and passes through El Paso, Van Horn, Houston, San Antonio, and Beaumont. But... I know El Paso, didn't recognize the exits, and I know 90 doesn't go through El Paso (54 does).

Googling the 90/I-10 interchange exit sign shows this happened at the I-10/US-90 interchange in Beaumont HOUSTON... so, wrong end of the state. :v: 90 runs from Van Horn TX to Florida.

(also, El Paso has mountains and poo poo)

e: video evidence - this is I-10 (westbound) in El Paso, at pretty close to the same exit numbers..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 21, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BLUEBALLED.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Raluek posted:

Are you sure it was the reverse light, and not just an old brake light lens? They seem to fade to a light pink around here. Maybe they don't have sun in glorious japan :rolleye:

I think you're confused on this one. The lights in the middle are brake lights, but more specifically they're for fog. They aren't supposed to be turned on unless there's fog, but idiots think they front fog lights look cool and don't give a poo poo about blinding people behind them (if they even realize it).

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Nocheez posted:

I think you're confused on this one. The lights in the middle are brake lights, but more specifically they're for fog. They aren't supposed to be turned on unless there's fog, but idiots think they front fog lights look cool and don't give a poo poo about blinding people behind them (if they even realize it).

I’m just going to assume that you’re not in or from America.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Darchangel posted:

I’m just going to assume that you’re not in or from America.

This explains it better than I did:
https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/dont-drive-with-your-rear-fog-light-on-269685

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
the only thing those lights are ever used for is to signal where the other japanese v8 enthusiasts should park when at an improvised car meet

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I see it all the drat time, and guaranteed the drivers simply have no idea they have one because of how uncommon they are in the US. Pretty much always euro makes.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Speaking of diesel ...

My dad had a parking garage in midtown Manhattan. I worked there during High School (early 1970's).

One time a customer came in with a poorly running '62 Impala who's engine would still run after you turned off the ignition.

So I parked the Dieseling Impala that way. All I can remember is the incredible stink and how hard it was to actually stop the engine (it was an automatic which made this worse.).

Best thing about working in the garage? I got to drive some amazing cars of the era.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I was chatting with my mother-in-law the other day and she was talking to her doctor that is South African. I guess the white flight out of South Africa (especially young professionals) has become so bad the government has put on draconian limits of assets that people emigrating can take with them, so people are dumping all their poo poo and turning it into Bitcoin so it's easier to move out. Better to risk the volatility than abandoning a big % of your assets I guess. :shrug:

It still scares the hell out of me and I can't imagine it as an "investment"

Co-worker bought his wife a brand new diesel VW a few years back (before the debacle) and the first time his wife borrowed it she filled it up with gas. I don't know exactly what happened to it, but I know it cost them a shitload of money.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

slidebite posted:

Better to risk the volatility than abandoning a big % of your assets I guess. :shrug:

It still scares the hell out of me and I can't imagine it as an "investment"
Well, you're losing everything you have if you don't, and at least that way you get the satisfaction that the people you're running from are deprived of it also.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Guinness posted:

This is kind of terrifying... did the liability for the fixes ultimately fall on the gas station or delivery company?

At dealership rates I've got to imagine that's at least $5k in repairs on each of those cars, assuming replacing all the fuel systems is all that is necessary and nothing further (a big assumption).

While it didn't happen to me the Kroger gas station near me did this a few years back. They promised to pay for all repairs and never heard about any more fallout so I assume they were good on their word.

It's kind of funny I was thinking about this the other day if I owned a diesel truck. Just out of habit would I gently caress it up? I like to think I would catch myself in a lapse before I pull trigger on the nozzle.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Colostomy Bag posted:

It's kind of funny I was thinking about this the other day if I owned a diesel truck. Just out of habit would I gently caress it up? I like to think I would catch myself in a lapse before I pull trigger on the nozzle.

I had my vw diesel for 3ish years before it got bought back. While I have never actually done it, I have definitely had to double check the pump to be positive I didn't accidentally try to put diesel in my ls430.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
My own terrible car stuff.

Kissed a lose tire tread on the 202 and it did a number on my bumper cover (and underside, and side skirt...)

car2 by jaritsu, on Flickr

Took it to probably the most reputable and well recommended shop in town.

After 11 weeks it's finally repaired and I finally get to the body shop to look at their repair and here's what I see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfUOF-wpgsE

Good job.

I feel bad for people who fall for the excuse-making that ensued, anything from that's how it always looked, to "That's normal for a GM or ford" to "that's because it was on the lift for so long" to "after some sun it will stop sagging and tighten up".

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Linux Nazi posted:

My own terrible car stuff.

Kissed a lose tire tread on the 202 and it did a number on my bumper cover (and underside, and side skirt...)

car2 by jaritsu, on Flickr

Took it to probably the most reputable and well recommended shop in town.

After 11 weeks it's finally repaired and I finally get to the body shop to look at their repair and here's what I see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfUOF-wpgsE

Good job.

I feel bad for people who fall for the excuse-making that ensued, anything from that's how it always looked, to "That's normal for a GM or ford" to "that's because it was on the lift for so long" to "after some sun it will stop sagging and tighten up".

Ugh. Any thoughts or did you approach diminished value with this?

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Colostomy Bag posted:

Ugh. Any thoughts or did you approach diminished value with this?

Overall the work wasn't that intrusive, so I'm not sure about diminished value. I obviously didn't accept this and they are completely redoing it with a new bumper-cover. They tried to "fix" this but missed the mark entirely. The shop is going to be out the cost of a repaint on the new cover so they are dragging their feet I think hoping that I'll give up or something.

I've already reached out to insurance, if it's not done right with the new cover I'll just take it elsewhere.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Thats pretty typical fitment for an aftermarket bumper cover. Is that what they used?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Linux Nazi posted:

Overall the work wasn't that intrusive, so I'm not sure about diminished value. I obviously didn't accept this and they are completely redoing it with a new bumper-cover. They tried to "fix" this but missed the mark entirely. The shop is going to be out the cost of a repaint on the new cover so they are dragging their feet I think hoping that I'll give up or something.

I've already reached out to insurance, if it's not done right with the new cover I'll just take it elsewhere.

Good for you not giving up. Need more of that across everybody and every industry. The mantra lately is time is more valuable than money but I find it easy to sit in a chat window to challenge a $5 fee from Verizon or file a FCC complaint against Comcast. Companies will dance to your tune if you place a little effort in it.