Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

yeah Every Breathe You Take is literally from the perspective of a creepy stalker and its still a good song

It was great at the end of Stranger Things 2 cuz it was played during a dance but then it cuts to the giant space octopus looming over the town in the upside-down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

sponges posted:

Do you guys think the song " I Touch Myself" would be creepy if it were sung by a man?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv-34w8kGPM

If the guy in question doesn't stop staring at me, yeah, super creepy. Otherwise it's just kind of funny.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

yeah Every Breathe You Take is literally from the perspective of a creepy stalker and its still a good song

Followed Home then Killed has some troubling subtext but the chorus is so dang catchy.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
What's the generic name (if there is one) for software that helps someone puzzle out things like "This create X, where X needs to go to Y, and then Y goes to Z" sort of things, if there is one, does anyone know of a good type of software?

I'm not asking for a big business sort of thing, I'm just looking for something to sperg out with Stardew Valley.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

you mean like making a flowchart? draw.io is a good free web based one

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

MisterBibs posted:

puzzle out things like "This create X, where X needs to go to Y, and then Y goes to Z" sort of things...something to sperg out with Stardew Valley.
Maybe this would be easier if I had played Stardew Valley, but I have no idea what you're asking for. From your description I'm thinking either a notepad, a calculator, or both (Excel?)?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

MisterBibs posted:

What's the generic name (if there is one) for software that helps someone puzzle out things like "This create X, where X needs to go to Y, and then Y goes to Z" sort of things, if there is one, does anyone know of a good type of software?

I'm not asking for a big business sort of thing, I'm just looking for something to sperg out with Stardew Valley.

Yeah you're looking for a flowchart. Draw.io is great, as mentioned.

If you want to figure out conversions through the process, just use Google Sheets or Excel.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
I'm using a Google map plugin for Wordpress, and when I upload a custom map marker icon, it shows up as huge on the map. When I shrink them, they end up looking pixelly. When I look for marker icon packs for the plugin (MapifyPro), they are .psd files that contain multiple icons in one image. Any ideas for what I can try next?

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

Someone gave me a lottery ticket in a birthday card and I won a decent amount. What is the best way to say thank you?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

HOT! New Memes posted:

Someone gave me a lottery ticket in a birthday card and I won a decent amount. What is the best way to say thank you?

buy them TWO lottery tickets for their birthday, cheap bastards

Caufman
May 7, 2007
It's going to be another decade or two before good but creepy songs are morally unacceptable.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

HOT! New Memes posted:

A thoughtful but unfussy gift, like bring them a six pack the next time you see them.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I have a door in my basement wall and while I'm like 90% sure it's the ash pit below my fireplace, I don't have the ability to open it to know for sure. There are a few small holes in it, but I can't see anything through them except more door mechanism. They look like they were drilled by someone who also didn't have a key an was wondering what the hell was back there and maybe found a way to open it.

How do I open this door? I already tried "sticking a screwdriver in and pressing up on things."

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm guessing you have to recite the True Names on the night of a harvest moon or something, personally.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

kedo posted:

I have a door in my basement wall and while I'm like 90% sure it's the ash pit below my fireplace, I don't have the ability to open it to know for sure. There are a few small holes in it, but I can't see anything through them except more door mechanism. They look like they were drilled by someone who also didn't have a key an was wondering what the hell was back there and maybe found a way to open it.

How do I open this door? I already tried "sticking a screwdriver in and pressing up on things."

See if you can get a wire and bend it, then put it into the top hole and back out the bottom hole and tug.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Bang it with a hammer in case it's lodged shut.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

HOT! New Memes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZGBbwnMlqQ&t=1200s

revolther
May 27, 2008

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Bang it with a hammer in case it's lodged shut.
Thermite.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
do crowbars and hammers just not exist where you are?

also gently caress buying a house that has some weird unopenable door in the basement. those are definitely blood droplet stains. :ohdear:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Leal posted:

See if you can get a wire and bend it, then put it into the top hole and back out the bottom hole and tug.

Tried this, it’s still latched so it didn’t do much more than wiggle which is all I’ve achieved so far.

The door isn’t wedged shut or something, so banging on it doesn’t do much. Assuming it IS the ash pit, I don’t want to destroy the door’s ability to latch by prying it open with a crowbar.

One of the holes is straight into the side of the lock cylinder, I’m wondering if there some piece of the lock in there I can fiddle with?\

e: I futzed with the cylinder drill hole enough to determine the pins are operable in the lock, but turning the cylinder does nothing to the latch, it just spins. :confused:

kedo fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 19, 2017

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
How far below the fireplace is it? You may be able to get a look down in there from above.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

is hand wash as effective as soap? I've been buying hand wash lately because it's way neater and tidier than a foamy bar of soap, and I also like the smells hand wash comes in.

but i've never known if hand wash just smells nice and doesn't actually get rid of bacteria on my hands, compared to soap.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Q8ee posted:

is hand wash as effective as soap? I've been buying hand wash lately because it's way neater and tidier than a foamy bar of soap, and I also like the smells hand wash comes in.

but i've never known if hand wash just smells nice and doesn't actually get rid of bacteria on my hands, compared to soap.

What hand wash are you talking about that isn't soap? Most are soap. There's not really much of a reason to use bar soap.

The big thing that's effective is the friction of your hands against each other with the water going to wash things away, the soap liquid or solid just needs to help with the process, provide moisturizing, etc.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

kedo posted:

Assuming it IS the ash pit, I don’t want to destroy the door’s ability to latch by prying it open with a crowbar.

well, it has already lost the ability to open, which is like 50% of a doors job. you can always replace it with a piece of wood, or hold it closed with a wire, or actually fix it once you have it open.
crack it open, release the souls of the damned we all know are trapped behind it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

When a W-4 or M-4 form says "Additional withholding per pay period under agreement with employer: $_____", what exactly is going on there? What happens if I put in $0? Should I be putting in a different number?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pollyanna posted:

When a W-4 or M-4 form says "Additional withholding per pay period under agreement with employer: $_____", what exactly is going on there? What happens if I put in $0? Should I be putting in a different number?

Did you explicitly ask your employer to withhold extra money from your paycheck? If you did, you need to enter the number you told them to withhold.

Otherwise, enter 0.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

fishmech posted:

Did you explicitly ask your employer to withhold extra money from your paycheck? If you did, you need to enter the number you told them to withhold.

Otherwise, enter 0.

$0 it is.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Snorkzilla posted:

How far below the fireplace is it? You may be able to get a look down in there from above.

It’s the floor below the fireplace, but it’s not directly beneath the fireplace. That’s what has me confused. It might just be offset to one side, but I’m not sure why you’d make an ash pit like that.

[quote="“ladron”" post="“478553280”"]
well, it has already lost the ability to open, which is like 50% of a doors job. you can always replace it with a piece of wood, or hold it closed with a wire, or actually fix it once you have it open.
crack it open, release the souls of the damned we all know are trapped behind it.
[/quote]

This is a valid point.

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

kedo posted:

I have a door in my basement wall and while I'm like 90% sure it's the ash pit below my fireplace,

ladron posted:

well, it has already lost the ability to open, which is like 50% of a doors job. you can always replace it with a piece of wood,

Just be aware that if a piece of wood comes in contact with hot ashes, it just might turn itself into more hot ashes, given chance.

It seems to me that the suggested solution might not be quite fireproof enough for the job.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
I was waiting for someone to point that out.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Oh if I pry it open I’m not going to board it up with wood, but thanks for making sure. That seems like a very good way to burn down a house.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Let's say you're an astronaut and you've landed on a planet that has an Earth-like atmosphere except there's no oxygen. If you took off your helmet and tried to breathe, what would would happen?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Mister Kingdom posted:

Let's say you're an astronaut and you've landed on a planet that has an Earth-like atmosphere except there's no oxygen. If you took off your helmet and tried to breathe, what would would happen?

If there's CO2 you'll feel like you're suffocating for a couple minutes until you pass out. If not, you'll feel just fine as you gradually grow more sluggish and pass out; our "oh-god-gotta-breathe" reflex is based on CO2 buildup in the blood, so without that your body has no indication anything is wrong. That's why asphyxiation hazards are such a big deal even here on earth.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

Depends a what gas makes up the difference, basically. Your body's "holy poo poo I'm suffocating" response is triggered when there is too much carbon dioxide in the air you're inhaling. I think the threshold at which you're starting to feel adverse effects starts at around 5-7% CO2 in your air (for reference, in our atmosphere it's usually around ~0.05%), though that might depend on how active you are. So if the lacking oxygen was replaced by CO2, you'd be in for a very uncomfortable experience, suffocating in very short order and panicking the whole time as your body goes into overdrive trying to get more air.

However, that response only really exists for CO2 specifically, and does not exist for most other gases. Gases like nitrogen, for example, which makes up the majority of our atmosphere. If a gas like that displaces oxygen, you'll generally just start to feel drowsy, then fall unconscious in a fairly peaceful manner, then die in short order. Nitrogen suffocation has actually been proposed as an alternative execution method, as it's relatively humane as far as these things go.

So, if the oxygen was replaced by nitrogen (or similar inert gases), or if you just sucked out all the oxygen without changing the amount of the other gases, then that's likely what's going to happen. You'd fall asleep and die, relatively peacefully.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Depends on what the atmosphere *is*.

Let's assume that per your suggestion that the atmosphere is like earth's minus the oxygen. Let's further assume that the portion that was oxygen is replaced with nitrogen, so the air is 99% nitrogen. The astronaut probably would not notice anything was wrong, because, oddly enough, nitrogen is close enough to oxygen in size and shape that your brain doesn't do the whole "I can't breathe!" panic. Nope, I was wrong. It's the CO2 as noted above. Same end results, but different cause. So he'd stand there, helmet off, and look around for a bit before passing out and collapsing in a heap.

This was a tragedy that struck just before the first space shuttle launch. An access panel was removed for maintenance to a compartment that had been filled with nitrogen as opposed to oxygen to avoid fires. The first tech crawled in, passed out, and then one by one, others went in to rescue the passed out guys before realizing what was going on. I want to say 5 people died all told.

Now, if the air mixture was in other proportions or had toxic materials in it, you'd probably start coughing, choking, gasping, and struggling to put your helmet back on. But that wouldn't technically be an "earth-like" atmosphere.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Thanks all. That's about what I figured.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Q8ee posted:

fishmech posted:

What hand wash are you talking about that isn't soap? Most are soap. There's not really much of a reason to use bar soap.

The big thing that's effective is the friction of your hands against each other with the water going to wash things away, the soap liquid or solid just needs to help with the process, provide moisturizing, etc.

This is a bit pedantic but washing with normal soap as a bar or lotion isn't going to get rid of very much bacteria. Which is just fine, since acti-bacterial soaps and solutions contribute to building resistant bacteria.
Keeping surfaces clean and dry creates an environment which bacteria can't thrive in.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I'm seeing my three cousins (all teen girls) in December and wanted to get them each iTunes gift cards... until I realized there's a 99% chance they stream all their music and have never even considered buying TV/movies from the iTunes store. Which sucks because the iTunes gift card has been a great neutral gift staple for a decade!

What's a good alternative? I'm totally blanking. Amazon for sure, but maybe I'm forgetting something.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I'm seeing my three cousins (all teen girls) in December and wanted to get them each iTunes gift cards... until I realized there's a 99% chance they stream all their music and have never even considered buying TV/movies from the iTunes store. Which sucks because the iTunes gift card has been a great neutral gift staple for a decade!

What's a good alternative? I'm totally blanking. Amazon for sure, but maybe I'm forgetting something.

If they have Android phones, maybe Google Play Store cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Gift cards to whatever local movie theater chain work well too. Kids still see movies, right?