Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I mean I would agree that SMT4 WAS a step back from Nocturne in some ways, but that has more to do with how good Nocturne is than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The problem with that statement isn't that it's untrue, but that the real statement should be that it's a stepback from Strange Journey. Which in turn wasn't so much a step back from Nocturne as it was a swandive off a cliff.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

TMS was dull as hell but I'd prob give it another chance if they did a switch re-release with like x3 the combat speed.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

TMS was dull as hell but I'd prob give it another chance if they did a switch re-release with like x3 the combat speed.

A dull game for a dull goon

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

It's a slow day at the office today, my apologies

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
GGGGGET SMOKED

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

littleorv posted:

SMT musou when

IMO Persona would be a better musou game since it already has a big cast of characters with distinct weapons/roles, and it seems like it'd be easier to do giant hordes of shadows instead of demons.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

IMO Persona would be a better musou game since it already has a big cast of characters with distinct weapons/roles, and it seems like it'd be easier to do giant hordes of shadows instead of demons.

I mean the earlier Persona games and Persona 5 use demons as-is so it wouldn't really be much of a difference.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I mean the earlier Persona games and Persona 5 use demons as-is so it wouldn't really be much of a difference.

Yeah let's not pretend Persona musou would acknowledge the earlier games outside of like, hilariously overpriced DLC.

Edit: I'm hoping Atlus's newfound love of UE4 means we'll see another experimental period like the PS2 era.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 20, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Dragonatrix posted:

The problem with that statement isn't that it's untrue, but that the real statement should be that it's a stepback from Strange Journey. Which in turn wasn't so much a step back from Nocturne as it was a swandive off a cliff.

SMT4 is absolutely a better game than SJ, don't be crazy

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

SJ just rips off Devilman

kinda

okay not really

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

littleorv posted:

SJ just rips off Devilman

kinda

okay not really

NOt enough lovely gross sex stuff

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

littleorv posted:

SMT musou when

"Do not pursue the Demifiend?"

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

SMT4 is absolutely a better game than SJ, don't be crazy

SMT4 is just SJ but with less balance which I'd have thought is impossible but then it went and happened.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Dragonatrix posted:

SMT4 is just SJ but with less balance which I'd have thought is impossible but then it went and happened.

It really is not

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

It really isn't at all, no. They have (within the confines of being an SMT game) pretty goddamn different mechanics, design and general focus. SJ has more in common with Etrian Odyssey (for obvious reasons) than anything else, though at least a good chunk of those similarities are due to old-school SMT influences but even then it's a far more pure dungeon crawler than SMTIV is.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

All SJ has in common with EO is that they are first person dungeon crawlers.

IV straight up has everything from SJ in it (except Co-ops because even Atlus realised they were a terrible dumb idea), except whoops no defence stat fucks with its already slim pretense of balance. Add to that they took into account the way some mechanics worked even less in IV and I have to question how its not less balanced.

Case in point, at least in SJ when you cast Tetra/Makarakarn bosses have hard counters that they'll do to spite that (Ouroboros uses Disaster Cycle, Tiamat uses Diarahan etc.). IV just lets them run face first into it in every single fight. Even the final bosses would if they weren't using Almighty attacks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

IV straight up has everything from SJ in it (except Co-ops because even Atlus realised they were a terrible dumb idea), except whoops no defence stat fucks with its already slim pretense of balance. Add to that they took into account the way some mechanics worked even less in IV and I have to question how its not less balanced.

Did you play a different version of SJ from everyone else. They have similarities because they are recycling mechanics SMT has had for years, but their actual layout and design is fairly different. SMTIV borrows a lot more from Nocturne than it does SJ, right down to have a combat-focused protagonist who learns demon skills as opposed to SJ's protagonist who is explicitly not that. It doesn't do the same alignment mechanics, it has a whole lot of different core gameplay design decisions, it isn't a focused dungeon crawler, and to be honest any mechanics shared between the games are similarly shared between other SMT games. SMTIV is a clearer evolution of Nocturne's design philosophy than SJ's which is intentionally focused on modernizing pre-Nocturne design.

SMTIV is piss-easy but 'less balanced' is not necessarily the right word there as SJ wasn't particularly well balanced by any sense of the word, just in the opposite direction. It had a lot of useless poo poo and then some broken poo poo. SMTIV at least has a stronger core design philsophy of "win fast or die quick" (though that ended up being flawed as well.) And I like SJ more than most people here so I'm not saying this because I like SMTIV more.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

TurnipFritter posted:

Yeah let's not pretend Persona musou would acknowledge the earlier games outside of like, hilariously overpriced DLC.

Edit: I'm hoping Atlus's newfound love of UE4 means we'll see another experimental period like the PS2 era.

I would drop $30 on the Kei Nanjou Persona Musou DLC in a heartbeat.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Dragonatrix posted:

All SJ has in common with EO is that they are first person dungeon crawlers.

Case in point, at least in SJ when you cast Tetra/Makarakarn bosses have hard counters that they'll do to spite that (Ouroboros uses Disaster Cycle, Tiamat uses Diarahan etc.). IV just lets them run face first into it in every single fight. Even the final bosses would if they weren't using Almighty attacks.

For real dude did you get hit in the head recently

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
The real tragedy of the FE×SMT collab is that we didn't get a game where I can make Demifiend date Chrom but other than that TMS was worth it somewhat.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I thought it was kind of neat how the samurai outfit and nanashi’s hunter suit were based off of the demonicas. Also after watching vids of redux on YouTube the game doesn’t look that hard- they’re able to plow through bosses pretty efficiently, but it’s probably hard to tell how enjoyable the game is from videos of just the boss battles. I think I quit SJ for some reason right before eridanus got intense, so I don’t know if I’d enjoy the remake because aside from the better presentation, Alex dungeon and endings, the art that didn’t look good at first but then I kind of got used to it, and the flash animation cutscenes it looks like the same game, gameplay wise at least.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Nephrite posted:

I would drop $30 on the Kei Nanjou Persona Musou DLC in a heartbeat.

:hai:

For the number one.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

The GIG posted:

The real tragedy of the FE×SMT collab is that we didn't get a game where I can make Demifiend date Chrom but other than that TMS was worth it somewhat.

If I can't date boys in SMTV then I will be severely disappointed

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

you can date the Fiends

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kemono Fiends

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

HerraS posted:

you can date the Fiends

Chemtrail-sama :swoon:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
im gonna marry Mother Harlot and Alice is gonna be my best friend

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Kemono Fiends

Atlus wishes they had that kind of budget

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Why do people hype the Demifiend up when he's honestly pretty low on the list of accomplishments compared to most other SMT protags?

I mean, his super secret True Final Boss is Lucifer when many other games have us beating Lucifer as matter of course.

Edit : And Lucifer isn't even really winded after the battle when in other games you actually kill him.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pureauthor posted:

Why do people hype the Demifiend up when he's honestly pretty low on the list of accomplishments compared to most other SMT protags?

I mean, his super secret True Final Boss is Lucifer when many other games have us beating Lucifer as matter of course.

Edit : And Lucifer isn't even really winded after the battle when in other games you actually kill him.

He's got sweet tatts.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Pureauthor posted:

I think they hype him up because he's a really hard Optional Super Boss in Digital Devil Saga.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Because the Demifiend fights with his fists, so he's the only SMT protagonist who can potentially literally punch god and the devil in the face.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Strange Quark posted:

He's got sweet tatts.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

He's the only SMT main character who got battle animations.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

It's just him going through everything in Nocturne while never not looking like a badass

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

His dumbass friends spend a long time explaining their Reason and he just stands there quietly with his cool tats and then punches them

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Because the only time really SMT universes have collided, the Demi-fiend was a loving absolute nightmare of a boss and when he finally was defeated, he left a message on the floor that said "Death's vastness holds no peace. I come at the end of the long road. Neither human, nor devil... all bends to my will."

He's a cool dude

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I think he was also a raid boss in the MMO that nobody played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

IMAGINE was rad, except for when it wasn't. But it usually was. :colbert:

Plus the Demi-Fiend fight theme, like most of the soundtrack, was a sweet remix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0fs8QAMBD0