Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

I also got an MNML case. Happy with the look/colour but I feel it makes my phone less grippy. Apparently the white Pixel 2 and the black Pixel 2 have different texturing/grippiness so people with black Pixel tend to feel the MNML case makes things worse while people with white Pixels usually find it an upgrade on that front. That may explain some of the conflicting opinions.

It's not terrible but I'm only holding onto mine until I can find another bright colour case with better grip (and a lip on the front) to replace it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Shofixti posted:

I also got an MNML case. Happy with the look/colour but I feel it makes my phone less grippy. Apparently the white Pixel 2 and the black Pixel 2 have different texturing/grippiness so people with black Pixel tend to feel the MNML case makes things worse while people with white Pixels usually find it an upgrade on that front. That may explain some of the conflicting opinions.

It's not terrible but I'm only holding onto mine until I can find another bright colour case with better grip (and a lip on the front) to replace it.

The white Pixel 2 is smooth while the black Pixel 2 is relatively grippy. The blue one, I'm not sure about.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man just from two minutes of handling an iPhone x and I'm really digging the full screen concept. Shame the essential ended up being such a disappointment

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Somewhere yesterday I saw an app for mimicking the iphone X notch on your Android phone.

wtf

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Outside of the Camera, Essential is doing pretty good at making the phone better software wise, as well as the price discount deals make it a reallly good alternative to thing like say a OnePlus now.

Is it comparable to the Pixel 2 XL, no not at all. But now that it is $450-499 (or $145 on Sprint... I may just have to do this for that 360cam I still have) it is at a price point I can see it being very competitive against these phones for certain.

As for 2XL stuff... two other things I notice.

The phone pretty much never gets hot, only a hint of warm at any point so far.

And that battery.... 2.5hrs+ SOT of a mix of browsing, email checking, and Clash Royal, and still 67% at the end of each day this weekend (working so not on my phone a ton, but still). 13hrs after pulling it off a charger. What in the ever loving heck? All past devices after that usage would still be near 30% or less. Even the tester hits 40% or less by then.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I can't find the link for that USB-C spreadsheet containing all the different cable types, but I'm wondering if I'm safe buying either of these for charging purposes:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01EMIIFCU
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01D8FOJIC

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Man just from two minutes of handling an iPhone x and I'm really digging the full screen concept. Shame the essential ended up being such a disappointment

It might be a disappointment, but the price has fallen to compensate. It's now a good phone for the money.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

CLAM DOWN posted:

I can't find the link for that USB-C spreadsheet containing all the different cable types, but I'm wondering if I'm safe buying either of these for charging purposes:

I just bought the Aukey 3- pack and loving love them.

They're real nice. Flexible, but firm and thick :wink:
The aluminum and hard rubber ends are a nice touch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072MC74JW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072MC74JW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can't ship those to Canada, uggggggh

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

Somewhere yesterday I saw an app for mimicking the iphone X notch on your Android phone.

wtf

Someone from the android dev subreddit made that just to make fun of the X, lol

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I can't ship those to Canada, uggggggh

I got some Amazon Basics cables that work fine. Saw them on a list somewhere and they're certified. Not super fancy, just basic (ha!). I didn't immediately see them on Amazon.ca, but they had A to C cables, so maybe they're on page 2 or something.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vnpEXfo2HCGADdd9G2x9dMDWqENiY2kgBJUu29f_TX8/edit?usp=drivesdk

I found this yesterday, but I don't know how up to date it is.

I'm still looking for a good USB-C power bank.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

CLAM DOWN posted:

I can't find the link for that USB-C spreadsheet containing all the different cable types,

OP

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

According to Nathan K, the list is deprecated and he doesn't have any disposable income or sponsorship for testing for the new Pixels.

So that list is Pixel 1 only it seems.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sorry, didn't even think to check. I also completely forgot about the Amazon Basics cables which is hosed considering I own one, gonna get more of those. My brain is broken today.

cinder
Aug 25, 2000
My Pixel2 has yet to receive the November security update. I read the earlier post about how updates roll out on different networks and it was really informative, but I was curious if any other users were still on the stock out of box September update. Provider is Verizon and I believe they approved and released the November patch on 11/7.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

EdEddnEddy posted:

And that battery.... 2.5hrs+ SOT of a mix of browsing, email checking, and Clash Royal, and still 67% at the end of each day this weekend (working so not on my phone a ton, but still). 13hrs after pulling it off a charger. What in the ever loving heck? All past devices after that usage would still be near 30% or less. Even the tester hits 40% or less by then.

I'm pretty jealous if the Pixel cameras, I like the degree of manual controls of my Mate 9, but for simply point and shoot action the images of seen from Pixels are the best I've ever seen from a phone.

The 4,000mah batteries Huawei uses are insane though.

That was 2 days, 9 hours off the charger.

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009
Anyone have any idea if the Pixel 2 or Pixel 2XL will be discounted for Black Friday? I'm not holding out any hope, but I want to get rid of this POS Nexus 6P since I have to recharge my phone at least three times a day even if it's sitting in my pocket. If it's not going to be on sale for black Friday I'll just go ahead and pull the trigger now.

Koaxke fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 21, 2017

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
How is the audio on the full sized Google Home versus the Mini? I've been playing with my free Mini and am actually impressed by it. It's perfect for casting podcasts from my Pixel 2, and I'd love to just tell it to play music but while it doesn't sound bad, it is in the same room as my PC, which has better speakers. So I just end up using my computer anyways. Ideally I'd like to put a full sized Home here and move the Mini to my bedroom, but I need to know if the audio quality is actually better.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

It easily fills a small room. I think it sounds really good given its size.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The full home sounds a lot better than the mini by a decent margin.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Cool, thanks. Guess I'll pick one up eventually then!

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why

cinder posted:

My Pixel2 has yet to receive the November security update. I read the earlier post about how updates roll out on different networks and it was really informative, but I was curious if any other users were still on the stock out of box September update. Provider is Verizon and I believe they approved and released the November patch on 11/7.

FWIW I was at a Verizon store over the weekend and 2 out of the 3 Pixel 2 devices weren't updated and one was updated to the November patch. Really random.

Koaxke posted:

Anyone have any idea if the Pixel 2 or Pixel 2XL will be discounted for Black Friday? I'm not holding out any hope, but I want to get rid of this POS Nexus 6P since I have to recharge my phone at least three times a day even if it's sitting in my pocket. If it's not going to be on sale for black Friday I'll just go ahead and pull the trigger now.

Last year they had a pretty good deal on the Pixel 1 so I'm hoping for something similar this week. I spoke to a Verizon salesperson and they said there definitely will be something.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I got these but in a 5 pack, and can confirm that they're good.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

How is the audio on the full sized Google Home versus the Mini? I've been playing with my free Mini and am actually impressed by it. It's perfect for casting podcasts from my Pixel 2, and I'd love to just tell it to play music but while it doesn't sound bad, it is in the same room as my PC, which has better speakers. So I just end up using my computer anyways. Ideally I'd like to put a full sized Home here and move the Mini to my bedroom, but I need to know if the audio quality is actually better.

Mini isn't bad at projecting the sound but as you might expect it's a little anemic on the low end as compared to the full size Home. It's impressive for the size but don't expect a world-beater in idk warmth/richness?

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009

hmmxkrazee posted:

FWIW I was at a Verizon store over the weekend and 2 out of the 3 Pixel 2 devices weren't updated and one was updated to the November patch. Really random.

Last year they had a pretty good deal on the Pixel 1 so I'm hoping for something similar this week. I spoke to a Verizon salesperson and they said there definitely will be something.

Do you know if a Verizon Pixel 2 vs a Google Store Pixel 2 will receive updates at the same time? I never root my phones these days so I don't kind getting a phone through Verizon, but if they don't update in a similar manner I'd pick the Google store one over the Verizon one.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Koaxke posted:

Do you know if a Verizon Pixel 2 vs a Google Store Pixel 2 will receive updates at the same time? I never root my phones these days so I don't kind getting a phone through Verizon, but if they don't update in a similar manner I'd pick the Google store one over the Verizon one.

Just pick the google store one because who knows what insipid fuckery Verizon is capable of. Look at how badly LG hosed up the 2XL and they were supposed to be completely unable to gently caress it up like that

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The 2XL isn't "badly hosed up". Have you even held one?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

CLAM DOWN posted:

Sorry, didn't even think to check. I also completely forgot about the Amazon Basics cables which is hosed considering I own one, gonna get more of those. My brain is broken today.

My wife bought a 2 pack of the 6' ones. They're actually very nice and even come with a little leather strap to tie them up. They charge and data just fine.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Koaxke posted:

Verizon version has been fine starting with the first Pixel.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CLAM DOWN posted:

The 2XL isn't "badly hosed up". Have you even held one?

Yeah I even looked at the screen

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah I even looked at the screen

All right well I own one and it's easily one of the best phones I've ever had. The screen is completely fine.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CLAM DOWN posted:

All right well I own one and it's easily one of the best phones I've ever had. The screen is completely fine.

My regular pixel 2 is great at all angles

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Thermopyle posted:

wtf
There's a few of them. You can get the Essential notch too.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I think the screen on mine is really bad and shifts colors almost immediately, definitely not how a near 1000 Euro phone should be.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
for any one of you who happened to get your 2XL replaced for ~reasons~, how long did it take for them to send you a new one? i hosed up the shipping address when i ordered mine two months ago and now i'm technically receiving a "replacement"

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Same. And I still can't get over this battery life. Stupid good. Over 3 hours screen time today and still over 50% left.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yep, I'm at 49% with some good clash royal time and 2:30 of sot. One thing I noticed is that Battery Saver, doesn't feel any slower than normal mode so I might try rolling with it a bit to see how much longer it can stretch it.

I also messed with some HDR YouTube videos on the same charge. Unfortunately it looks like both the Pixel and Note 8 have a hard time with 1080P60HDR or higher video and it drops frames and just doesn't look near as smooth as a phone playing the same video without HDR. I guess the software acceleration for it is a bit too much right now. However the HDR does look a lot better visually than non HDR so it seems to somewhat work.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I'm tempted to get a Home Mini on the Black Friday deal just to have another toy to goof around with. But does it actually serve any purpose if the only "smart" thing I have for it to interact with is a Chromecast, and our phones are generally near us anyway?

Like, does it hear and respond to Okay Google commands with more regularity or clarity? Is there some aspect or feature that makes talking to it better than your phone? Do those of you who have a Home but also have your phones near you find yourself happy you have the Home?

Basically, please convince me to buy this new toy for $30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

incogneato posted:

I'm tempted to get a Home Mini on the Black Friday deal just to have another toy to goof around with. But does it actually serve any purpose if the only "smart" thing I have for it to interact with is a Chromecast, and our phones are generally near us anyway?

Like, does it hear and respond to Okay Google commands with more regularity or clarity? Is there some aspect or feature that makes talking to it better than your phone? Do those of you who have a Home but also have your phones near you find yourself happy you have the Home?

Basically, please convince me to buy this new toy for $30.

I have a Home in the living room and when they sent the free Mini I put it in the kitchen and use it for cooking music/shopping list stuff.