Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

What army comps for the new races in SP do you guys find to be the most effective, generally speaking (i.e., allows you to fight most other races for a reasonable upkeep), and why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Why do my Lightning Cannons, despite having guard mode on, sometimes find it necessary to walk forward into Quarreler range to target an emplacement they very clearly have LoS to?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

LuiCypher posted:

What army comps for the new races in SP do you guys find to be the most effective, generally speaking (i.e., allows you to fight most other races for a reasonable upkeep), and why?

4-6 spearmen, 4-6 archers, 3-4 cav, 3 flyers, season with elites to taste.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Why do my Lightning Cannons, despite having guard mode on, sometimes find it necessary to walk forward into Quarreler range to target an emplacement they very clearly have LoS to?

There's been reports of siege weapons being fucky on the offense; I can't comment since I usually just auto-resolve offensive sieges. Try alt-attacking near the target to see if you can fool them into firing at the thing.

Also for future reference since it took me a while to get this: Guard Mode will stop ranged units from moving position (but not shifting formation) to attack a target that leaves range. However, even a ranged unit on Guard Mode will move to shoot at a target if the target isn't already in range.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Thread: who is the most melee-tastic lord? Suneater? Queek?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

ZearothK posted:

Ghort Who vs the Old World.

It's specially annoying that the 30th RoR's are delayed (probably because they include the RoR's for Norsca).

I do like the note at the end that they have plans to give all Old World independent starts. I hope Vlad/Isabella are exempt from that, but I wonder where everyone else would go to.

The Dwarf and Greenskin LL's are obvious.

Kemmler to Moussillon with the Red Duke being turned into an Alastair-LLL (Legendary Lord Light) would make sense. Ghorst could potentially go to one of the vampire factions in the Land of the Dead or the Vampire Coast and make him relevant by providing a really different start for the VC experience.

Volkmar and Gelt, though? They mostly make sense in Altdorf, but since Teclis is not in Saphery, I guess they could go to one of the elector counts. If Sudenburg hadn't been removed in ME, Volkmar could go there to lead some crusaders, but since that's not a thing, I got nothing but random speculation, because I don't think they're particularly tied to any imperial province other than Reikland, and Volkmar in particular wouldn't be welcome in the northern provinces where Ulric is favoured.

I can see Gelt deciding to bum around Lustria, taking the place of the New World Colonies.

There's a lot of gold to be found after all.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

crime fighting hog posted:

Thread: who is the most melee-tastic lord? Suneater? Queek?

Kholek , closely followed by Kroq-Gar. Both are heads and shoulders above the rest.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Nanomashoes posted:

Kholek , closely followed by Kroq-Gar. Both are heads and shoulders above the rest.

Tyrion gets pretty silly too, down his personal combat enhancing tree.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Nanomashoes posted:

Tyrion however is the most melee-tastic footman. Even though he can get a horse.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Nanomashoes posted:

The advantage of Kroq-Gar is that when he gets Grymloq he turns into a race car speed double murder lizard combo. He will chase down and eat even the fastest cavalry units.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stephen9001 posted:

Tyrion however is the most melee-tastic footman. Even though he can get a horse.

Pretty sure Grimgor is the best footie Hero.

Kholek is just hilarious so that's the best one.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
I think on paper, Grimgor still wins for being the killingest Lord in a drag out melee. Kholek and Durthu win on spectacle for being giant killing machines with weapons bigger than your house.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Grimgor is vulnerable to knockdown I thought?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Dandywalken posted:

All melee Lords are vulnerable to Net + Bajillion Archers.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dandywalken posted:

Yeah, big, monstrous lords typically beat walking dudes because they can push them around so much. This applies to Kholek except that he also has amazing stats and can whomp the poo poo out of dragons.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mordja posted:

Yeah, big, monstrous lords typically beat walking dudes because they can push them around so much. This applies to Kholek except that he also has amazing stats and can whomp the poo poo out of dragons.

Yeah, Kholek and Kroq'gar (on Gimloq) are both insane in that way. Kholek probably edges Kroq'gar out 1 on 1, but Kroq'gar has healing and his faction has even more of it so he tends to win in practice too.

After them it comes down to 'Lords who can ride a Dragon' followed closely by 'Lords who can ride a Wyvern' for that sweet poison. Then probably Durthu, then most of the mounted guys with Slann on the Stegodon being top tier here and finally the foot guys with Ghorst on his cart being hilariously last.

You also have some ones that are bad duellists in there that wreck massed enemies. Skaven on the Plague Furnace/Screaming Bell, Volkmar on his Holy Wagon, the chariots etc.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Mordja posted:

The downside of this is that the bigger and more monstrous your lord is, the easier they are to shoot. I think that in practice Kholek is one of the weaker lords, because I never TRY to 1v1 him with my general. I just shoot him with 2 units of handgunners while he crunches through some spearmen or something.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Mordja posted:

I was using Kholek on some empire swordsmen and just got distracted, watching him completely have a field day with them that I didn't notice he was about to get charged by some anti-large cav.

It hit me, oh, maybe I can just have him walk through the infantry so the cav gets blocked by their own guys and he can escape punishment. And it worked. And he became my favorite lord at that moment.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kaza42 posted:

The downside of this is that the bigger and more monstrous your lord is, the easier they are to shoot. I think that in practice Kholek is one of the weaker lords, because I never TRY to 1v1 him with my general. I just shoot him with 2 units of handgunners while he crunches through some spearmen or something.

This is really faction dependent. Like he absolutely wrecks VC since they lack missiles and good anti-large options.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Zore posted:

This is really faction dependent. Like he absolutely wrecks VC since they lack missiles and good anti-large options.

If you really want to see a good time put 3 Luminarks in an army fighting VC.

The lord insta-pops and the army will crumble before they hit your line.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Zore posted:

Considering how few and far between Vampires are on the campaign map, this is barely an advantage.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

That raises a point that I have been meaning to ask. How do Vampire Counts fair against Lizardmen?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Hunt11 posted:

That raises a point that I have been meaning to ask. How do Vampire Counts fair against Lizardmen?

Depends what you take obviously. In campaign you can do what you like and drown them in chaff. In multi I always take Blood Knights because I like them for one and they're also one of the only reliable anti-large units. They're also fear causing super elite cav that are both anti-large and armour piercing. Many a giant or dinosaur, while filled with hubris, has fallen to the knights of the Blood Keep.

I also like to make sure I have single target damage spells to use against Kholek and similar baller combat lords, despite being able to fight many top characters with my own general. Against lizards you lose a lot of the fear bonuses and stuff so you really have to bog them down and man fight them with a vampire, but VC can struggle a bit against loads of enemy monsters for sure. It's their worst match up given you are either going to be using spearmen or blood knights/terrorgheists which are loving expensive.

The other thing to do if you want to murder lizard infantry is cycle charge hexwraiths and let them fight for short periods. Same goes for cairn wraiths among your front line fighters. They're murder machines that won't die unless someone rocks up with a magical weapon.

JBP fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 21, 2017

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
They need to hurry up with this patch so I can play Kholek. He sounds like a hoot

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Hunt11 posted:

With Kroq-gar's buffs I watched Saurus just poo poo on Grave Guard with minimal losses.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

In multi its arguably VC's hardest matchup.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Zore posted:

In multi its arguably VC's hardest matchup.

What are some other poo poo match ups? I know Skaven have a tough go against Dwarves, for starters.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

LuiCypher posted:

Delves: 1 commander, 1 sorceress, 18 shades

edit I like sword-shield dreadlords over sword-crossbow, because let's be honest, one plinker isn't really worth much, whereas the shield folks are slightly more killy when they level up and get their dragon to charge into the flanks

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 21, 2017

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Delves: 1 commander, 1 sorceress, 18 shades

edit I like sword-shield dreadlords over sword-crossbow, because let's be honest, one plinker isn't really worth much, whereas the shield folks are slightly more killy when they level up and get their dragon to charge into the flanks

That's quite a fair deal of upkeep, but I feel like at some point with that many shades you've hit the sweet point in terms of the amount of rapid fire death from (slightly) afar and anti-infantry GS/TS.

Sword/Xbow Dreadlords can be OK on dragons, because you can do dumb poo poo like plink enemy lords/monsters to death without fear of reprisal - especially if you're low on health. But I wouldn't use him to duel other ranged units, because the only way that's going to end is with your Dreadlord playing the part of a pincushion. For the most part though, Sword/Shield is more useful.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Xae posted:

All melee Lords are vulnerable to Net + Bajillion Archers.

I assume this was about multi but it makes me miss being able to stack resistances above 100%. Walking Kholek up to an empire gun line and letting him stand there like a hosed up superman was magical.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

LuiCypher posted:

That's quite a fair deal of upkeep, but I feel like at some point with that many shades you've hit the sweet point in terms of the amount of rapid fire death from (slightly) afar and anti-infantry GS/TS.

Sword/Xbow Dreadlords can be OK on dragons, because you can do dumb poo poo like plink enemy lords/monsters to death without fear of reprisal - especially if you're low on health. But I wouldn't use him to duel other ranged units, because the only way that's going to end is with your Dreadlord playing the part of a pincushion. For the most part though, Sword/Shield is more useful.
Bow/Sword get reload skill buffs though, which can help push out a ton more ranged damage if you're focusing on that while using your infantry to just screen your shards and shades.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Sinteres posted:

IMO they shouldn't have promised to have Mortal Empires out as fast as they did so people would have just had the fun experience of the Vortex campaign without worrying about another broken campaign at this point. Fixing Norsca would make the Vortex campaign more fun too, but it's not as critical there unless you're dark elves I guess.

Having the game out there probably gives them a lot of play testing information that they would not otherwise have though.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Brasseye posted:

They need to hurry up with this patch so I can play Kholek. He sounds like a hoot

aaages ago (I think this was with the patch that nerfed regeneration, or around then) they capped any given damage resistance (ie ward saves) at 90%.

They did this specifically because Kholek could stack ward saves on top of his personal one (with the odd physical save) and become invulnerable in normal combat. :black101:

in other news, I've finally caught up to the front of the thread for a bit.

most of the stuff you've been asking for in the OP has been added. The post on the SFO guy and the Pontus meme are on the second "best of the TWW1 thread" post since they were older than this game.

I still have to have a squiz at the dark elves/lizardmen and fill in their rosters in the OP, which will be coming soonish now I'm finally starting to get my chrome tab reading backlog finished.

also I'm disappointed ME didn't have the objectives as a branching narrative tool eg The Last Roman, where there was an entire tree if you decided to betray Justinian and go to war. It would have been nice to have eg objectives for Bretonnians where you set up more crusader states in the southlands or something.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The SFO stuff is way worse than I remembered. I'd forgotten about the reddit racisms.

Thanks for the advert. Cheques in the mail.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gitro posted:

I assume this was about multi but it makes me miss being able to stack resistances above 100%. Walking Kholek up to an empire gun line and letting him stand there like a hosed up superman was magical.

Remember early patches Sigvald's broken armor that healed him so fast that it was virtually impossible to chip any kind of damage on his HP bar?

Sweet Saundering Swaggering Sigvald, Servant of Slanesh :allears:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So far, I played one Malekith Vortex campaign and am about 150 turns into a Queek ME hellwar against the beards. I want to gently caress around with Lizardmen or High Elves for a bit: should I play ME or Vortex (leaning Vortex just because it feels more complete) and which LL should I start with? Mazdamundi looks like a more interesting start but is also a lot easier, while Kroq-gar starts in what seems to be the main place for DLC races to appear so I want to hold off a bit. Meanwhile, High Elves seem like they'd feel pretty similar to DE, but I could be persuaded.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

So far, I played one Malekith Vortex campaign and am about 150 turns into a Queek ME hellwar against the beards. I want to gently caress around with Lizardmen or High Elves for a bit: should I play ME or Vortex (leaning Vortex just because it feels more complete) and which LL should I start with? Mazdamundi looks like a more interesting start but is also a lot easier, while Kroq-gar starts in what seems to be the main place for DLC races to appear so I want to hold off a bit. Meanwhile, High Elves seem like they'd feel pretty similar to DE, but I could be persuaded.

Kroq, funnily enough, actually has a much easier start than Maz, since the upkeep reduction for Saurus means you can just roll a saurus deathball from the early game all the way to the end.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Does besieging ai settlements not block building progress? Besieged a tier two settlement and then when I went to attack it two turns later it was tier 3 with an extra hero in the garrison.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Brasseye posted:

The major change that makes Chaos playable is the ability to sack and raze at the same time, which can be modded in.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Kroq, funnily enough, actually has a much easier start than Maz, since the upkeep reduction for Saurus means you can just roll a saurus deathball from the early game all the way to the end.

He's also in a corner with factions that are really easy for Lizardmen to beat (Skaven and Vampires) and pre-built settlements. Mazda has lots of enemies nearby, questionable friends (High Elves and Border Princes) and settlements that have to be colonized. Whoever marked him as Easy was on crack.

nessin fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mans posted:

Remember early patches Sigvald's broken armor that healed him so fast that it was virtually impossible to chip any kind of damage on his HP bar?

Sweet Saundering Swaggering Sigvald, Servant of Slanesh :allears:

I once had a siege defense as Dwarfs where I killed almost the whole Chaos army, only to have Sigvald tank and beat everyone else. It was good times.