Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If/when you do replace your floor, make certain to buy a few extra packages of floorboards, so you can do repairs with matching boards properly. Floorboard products are constantly changing, so you can't count on being able to buy the same product even a few months later.

This. ESPECIALLY for pre-finished. You pretty much need to have the same batch number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
We pulled up a section of carpet in the master bedroom to see if it was painted also and found bare wood underneath. Very exciting. So then last night I pulled up the rest of it and...

What the hell is this?
https://imgur.com/a/odU9o

Uhhh
https://imgur.com/a/VDvCv

It reminds me of sort of grip tape type stuff and this pattern covers a good three-quarters of the floor. It scrapes off relatively easily, so I'm thinking we can do a pass with like a putty knife and then just sand the rest off, but what the hell?

Of the other carpeted rooms, from the square I pulled up one is painted brown and the last is bare wood...but who knows what I'll find in that one when I get the rest up.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Did you follow the arrows? Do they lead to a treasure chest?

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

The Dave posted:

Did you follow the arrows? Do they lead to a treasure chest?

This house is old enough I think it's 50/50 that it's treasure or a missing person's skeleton.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

z0331 posted:

We pulled up a section of carpet in the master bedroom to see if it was painted also and found bare wood underneath. Very exciting. So then last night I pulled up the rest of it and...

What the hell is this?
https://imgur.com/a/odU9o

Uhhh
https://imgur.com/a/VDvCv

It reminds me of sort of grip tape type stuff and this pattern covers a good three-quarters of the floor. It scrapes off relatively easily, so I'm thinking we can do a pass with like a putty knife and then just sand the rest off, but what the hell?

My guess is adhesive from the carpet pad. I dunno why it needs arrows telling you which way to unroll it though. Assuming it is that adhesive, yeah, you should just be able to scrape/sand it off.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My guess is adhesive from the carpet pad. I dunno why it needs arrows telling you which way to unroll it though. Assuming it is that adhesive, yeah, you should just be able to scrape/sand it off.

For some reason that didn't even occur to me. Mystery (probably) solved. The carpet we're removing was only put down last year, so I'm sure before that there was probably some gross carpet that sat for decades.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Well Kidde just did something super sketchy: They emailed me 2 weeks later (when in theory my new extinguisher should be getting here) saying my recall form was "missing information" and asked me to review their guide for if something was recalled or not, then press yes/no at the bottom. Their recall form gets all the required information for them (make/model/serial/date iirc) to know if it's recalled. This just really smells of a way to delay shipments and screw consumers out of their new extinguisher.

Keep an eye out for that email, it does require you to click a link.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Well Kidde just did something super sketchy: They emailed me 2 weeks later (when in theory my new extinguisher should be getting here) saying my recall form was "missing information" and asked me to review their guide for if something was recalled or not, then press yes/no at the bottom. Their recall form gets all the required information for them (make/model/serial/date iirc) to know if it's recalled. This just really smells of a way to delay shipments and screw consumers out of their new extinguisher.

I also got this email, but I'm appreciative for it. The original recall listed the models that were effected, but kept calling them "plastic handled" and mine, while on the list that was 'not effected' was also plastic handled. The email more clearly shows which models are which, and which are safe, and which are not.

I was very confused by the initial recall, because I put in the info for my plastic handled extinguisher, but it said it was OK. The email showing the differences between different models really laid out which one was mine, and why it was different(and not subject to recall).

I'm guessing the email is because the initial recall could be ambiguous, especially if you were one of the people with a non-recalled, but still plastic-handled extinguisher.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

I got this too, and I agree it's a super sketchy way of doing it. I'm wondering if they just don't have the stock to fulfill all of them, and this is just a delaying tactic.

When you click the link, it goes to an 'elink.clickdimensions.com' URL, which then redirects you to a PDF hosted on S3. This is the *weirdest* way of implementing this confirmation system that I can think of, which why I think it's just a delaying tactic.

I just bought a real 5LB fire extinguisher from a local place because I can't really trust kiddie anymore.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

I also got this email, but I'm appreciative for it. The original recall listed the models that were effected, but kept calling them "plastic handled" and mine, while on the list that was 'not effected' was also plastic handled. The email more clearly shows which models are which, and which are safe, and which are not.

I was very confused by the initial recall, because I put in the info for my plastic handled extinguisher, but it said it was OK. The email showing the differences between different models really laid out which one was mine, and why it was different(and not subject to recall).

I'm guessing the email is because the initial recall could be ambiguous, especially if you were one of the people with a non-recalled, but still plastic-handled extinguisher.

I'm gonna be a pretentious rear end here (as if anyone needed preparation for that), but all Kidde stuff, especially with a plastic handle is trash. It's often better than not having anything, but that doesn't mean it's any good. This is poo poo manufactured to meet a standard and no further for a product that is often forgotten about and neglected long after that standard says it should be in good condition.

Actually good extinguishers don't really cost that much more if you shop right.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

Their recall form was really comprehensive and should have told users if their unit is recalled or not. Everyone puts in their plastic handled info, it spits out "affected, replacement on its way" or "not impacted, good luck." They know this information in order to get this email to your inbox. If they're having delays they should just say so, just like with the Takata airbag recalls.

Edit

Motronic posted:

I'm gonna be a pretentious rear end here (as if anyone needed preparation for that), but all Kidde stuff, especially with a plastic handle is trash. It's often better than not having anything, but that doesn't mean it's any good. This is poo poo manufactured to meet a standard and no further for a product that is often forgotten about and neglected long after that standard says it should be in good condition.

Actually good extinguishers don't really cost that much more if you shop right.

For example?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

For example?

So if you don't have a local fire protection place (you do, they service all of the commercial fire sprinklers, extinguishers and hood systems in your area) you can find some of the more industrious ones selling on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amerex-B40...KoAAOSwLpdW9AWm

$50 and free shipping for a 5LB ABC big boy actually serviceable (you'll need to find that local place) extinguisher from a reputable brand.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Motronic posted:

So if you don't have a local fire protection place (you do, they service all of the commercial fire sprinklers, extinguishers and hood systems in your area) you can find some of the more industrious ones selling on eBay:

$50 and free shipping for a 5LB ABC big boy actually serviceable (you'll need to find that local place) extinguisher from a reputable brand.

Dittoing this. I was around industrial/commercial grade extinguishers for years, and when it came time to buy one for my house there was no question. The extra $10-20 for a "pro grade" or whatever is well worth it.

Make sure you get large enough extinguishers as well. Anything smaller than a 5lb is probably going to leave you hanging for anything larger than a stove top fire.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Their recall form was really comprehensive and should have told users if their unit is recalled or not. Everyone puts in their plastic handled info, it spits out "affected, replacement on its way" or "not impacted, good luck." They know this information in order to get this email to your inbox. If they're having delays they should just say so, just like with the Takata airbag recalls.

I got the "not impacted" message, but also received this follow up.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think it is safe to assume your $20 fire extinguisher will fail miserably if you ever really needed it.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Perfect weather to clean the garage today. Got everything off the floor that shouldn't be there, a big box of donations, and a big box of stuff to sell. Might even have room to build workbench now.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Motronic posted:

This is awesome, thanks for the link!

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
Who's the Speed Queen of refrigerators?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lysandus posted:

Who's the Speed Queen of refrigerators?

I hate to say this, but for residential it's Sub Zero. There's like, basically no other consumer brand that is even worth repairing the sealed portions. And all (or at least most) have separate compressors for the fridge and freezer, which is nice not only for some sort of "well, I didn't lose EVERYTHING in there" but also because you can truly independently set temperatures.

The other nice thing they have going on are some models have remote/top mounted compressors. If you have the ceiling height for that it keeps them away from pet hair and all that kind of thing.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Already having my first "huh...maybe shoulda called a guy instead" moment. Three Home Depot trips, unexpected tool purchase, and a DIY project not going quite as planned. I'm trying to sand down that floor from the pictures above. Rented a floor orbital sander and either I'm terrible at it (very possible) or the conditions just weren't good (also very possible) but it really didn't do a ton. I think a) that adhesive crap caused more problems than I anticipated, even with 36-grit, and b) the boards are super old and just not even enough. Tons of spots got missed. I finally bought a belt sander and went to town on places where I clearly didn't get down to wood, which was probably almost half. Worked but now I need to do the whole thing again at 120 grit to try to smooth it all out and I'm worried that it won't actually look any good anymore.

It's actually pretty amazing because at the very tips of the boards you can see how they've have been scraped and/or sanded so many times over the years, there's a millimeter or two difference. No shoe molding, though, so the gap between them and the wall is pretty grody.

In the meantime, we laid down stripper in a yellow-floor room and it worked like a charm on the yellow, but a significant portion of the floor underneath appears to have had a black layer at some point, with red splattered throughout. So now we have two unusable rooms mid-project connected by a hallway littered with Home Depot bags.

Do never buy.

Edit: It makes me really loathe that State Farm (?) commercial where the young couple is joyfully renovating a dump by themselves, with a baby, while living in it. Any normal person would be heading to a hotel after the first few days if they hadn't burned the place down already hoping to recoup some of it in insurance payouts.

z0331 fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 20, 2017

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Just wait till you start a plumbing project on pipes that haven't been touched in 20 years

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
In the time I took to return the floor sander, one person returned a pipe snake and another rented one.

I'm sure my time will come.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
My Hayward Navigator Pro pool cleaner is officially dead. I got it used/free in 2013 so I'm happy I got 4 years out of it. I have a dedicated vacuum line in the pool. For the past few weeks I've had the pool system sucking only from the skimmer. Then once a week I attach a hose to the vacuum line and dive down and do some manual vacuuming with just the hose. I can keep doing that even though the water is getting pretty chilly, but I'd eventually like to look at new vacuum options. It's a small pool at about 9000 gallons. What do you goons use for pool cleaners?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Just got a Barracuda G3; Recommend without reservation. Thing is awesome.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

my wife and I sanded and refinished the hardwood floors in our house before we moved in, and one thing we learned the very very hard way is that the big rentable orbital sanders are not worth a drat. they are ok maybe for a final finishing pass but are a waste of time and effort otherwise.

You need a drum sander, which is what all the pros use. But beware! They are completely unforgiving, if you allow the drum to dwell in one spot for even half a second, you will carve a divot into the floor. It is absolutely essential to keep the drum moving whenever it is in contact. With that in mind, though, thirty minutes with a drum sander does more and better work than four hours with an orbital.

You will still need hand tools for all corners, edges, and trim, though. It's a monstrous job to do a whole house, took my wife and I a week to do about 1000 square feet, but in the end we spent maybe $800 including tool rentals, stain, verethane, and consumables, vs. probably $4k to have a pro do it.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Leperflesh posted:

my wife and I sanded and refinished the hardwood floors in our house before we moved in, and one thing we learned the very very hard way is that the big rentable orbital sanders are not worth a drat. they are ok maybe for a final finishing pass but are a waste of time and effort otherwise.

You need a drum sander, which is what all the pros use. But beware! They are completely unforgiving, if you allow the drum to dwell in one spot for even half a second, you will carve a divot into the floor. It is absolutely essential to keep the drum moving whenever it is in contact. With that in mind, though, thirty minutes with a drum sander does more and better work than four hours with an orbital.

You will still need hand tools for all corners, edges, and trim, though. It's a monstrous job to do a whole house, took my wife and I a week to do about 1000 square feet, but in the end we spent maybe $800 including tool rentals, stain, verethane, and consumables, vs. probably $4k to have a pro do it.

Yeah, I at least knew going in I didn't want to do a drum sander because I'm 100% certain I would put at least one giant gouge into the floor.

That's actually kind of nice to know maybe it wasn't just my incompetence. I think I'm just going to have to put the time and effort in to doing it with a belt/corner sander. Hopefully if I'm patient about it, I can at least get it looking halfway decent.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Looking for some opinions on deciding to repair or replace our 11 year old electric hvac system. Basically, we have a leak somewhere. The tech couldn't find it today, however they are doing a 48 hour nitrogen test to try and isolate the leak. He thinks it is the evaporator coil, since it is very corroded but he is not 100% sure.

If that turns out to be true, were looking at around 2k to replace that coil. I have someone coming out to give us a quote on replacing the whole system, which Id estimate to be roughly in the 6-7k range. Anyone been in the repair / replace dilemma? I'd hate to keep putting money into this if this would only increase the lifespan by only a couple years, but I am having a hard time making a decision.

Edit: It appears the condensing unit was replaced in 2014. If we did a furnace / handler replacement could you use the 3-yr old condenser unit to save some money?

Kanish fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Nov 21, 2017

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
If it's an R22 system, you are probably better off replacing.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

zaurg posted:

My Hayward Navigator Pro pool cleaner is officially dead. I got it used/free in 2013 so I'm happy I got 4 years out of it. I have a dedicated vacuum line in the pool. For the past few weeks I've had the pool system sucking only from the skimmer. Then once a week I attach a hose to the vacuum line and dive down and do some manual vacuuming with just the hose. I can keep doing that even though the water is getting pretty chilly, but I'd eventually like to look at new vacuum options. It's a small pool at about 9000 gallons. What do you goons use for pool cleaners?

Why is it dead? You can rebuild pretty much the whole thing and it is really easy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

z0331 posted:

Yeah, I at least knew going in I didn't want to do a drum sander because I'm 100% certain I would put at least one giant gouge into the floor.

That's actually kind of nice to know maybe it wasn't just my incompetence. I think I'm just going to have to put the time and effort in to doing it with a belt/corner sander. Hopefully if I'm patient about it, I can at least get it looking halfway decent.

Yeah basically all the advice I got from home depot etc. was to use their big square orbital sanders and after like three days worth of rental fees and huge expensive pieces of sandpaper I tried out the drum sander and was was basically instantly furious with how much money and time and pain and blood I'd wasted.

Yes I totally have one or two good-sized gouges in the floor but you know what? A few imperfections is the price you pay for saving several thousand dollars by doing it yourself. Watch a video or three on youtube, and then if you can, start in an unobtrusive place like a closet, or a spot that's already a bit hosed up or whatever, and then give it a try. Or go with your plan, you can get it all done (eventually) with a belt sander, but it will be difficult to keep everything even and it's gonna be hell on your knees and wrists.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

couldcareless posted:

If it's an R22 system, you are probably better off replacing.

It's not, I remember when I had to recharge it from the leak in the summer that they said I was lucky it wasn't.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
My guest bathroom toilet's been clogged for a week or so now. Plumbing\Snaking not helping. I find out from the plumber I had to pay that my contractors that were rebuilding my house after the flood last year didn't close up the hole right so debris\broken tile got into my drain before we moved in. Thanks fuckheads! :bravo:

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

dalstrs posted:

Why is it dead? You can rebuild pretty much the whole thing and it is really easy.

Coworker who ran a pool store business for years and rebuilt them often offered to take a look at it for me. I brought it in and they said I'd literally have to replace every part, so it would make more sense to get a new one. So I was just going with that. :shrug:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

There are squirrels in my soffits and I found a chewed up tube of toothpaste with mouse poo poo all around in the bathroom drawer this morning.

Sometimes living next to a big prairie sucks

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

dalstrs posted:

The sun here (I don’t know where the guy with the question is) puts a ~5 year lifespan on the things. They just get so brittle they become nearly impossible to fix.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

zaurg posted:

Coworker who ran a pool store business for years and rebuilt them often offered to take a look at it for me. I brought it in and they said I'd literally have to replace every part, so it would make more sense to get a new one. So I was just going with that. :shrug:

MrYenko posted:

The sun here (I don’t know where the guy with the question is) puts a ~5 year lifespan on the things. They just get so brittle they become nearly impossible to fix.

The sun is bad here too, but looking on Amazon, you can probably build the thing for cheaper than a new one cost. I'm a fan of them because they are so easy to fix. I put in an ordered today to rebuild most of mine, including pretty much all the gears and bearings, plus the wings, feet, and a replacement body panel, it all cost $12X.

I looked around a lot when I got my pool last year and didn't see anything I thought was an improvement on the Heyward for vacuum pool cleaners. It seems that pretty much all these vacs that you leave in the pool for a while wear out so being able to cheaply rebuild whatever breaks is a nice feature. I haven't visited in a while but anytime I have pool issues I have found that https://www.troublefreepool.com is a good resource for figuring things out or getting recommendations. If nothing else I recommend everyone follow their pool chemistry guidelines, they are much better than what the pool stores tell you.

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast
Does anyone have any recommendations for a new french door refrigerator? I'm reading reviews, and it seems like every single one from every brand has people complaining about them.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
All GE stainless steel French doors are magnetic. Every other brand is a crap shoot. That was important to my wife

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I have a KitchenAid counter depth fridge with french doors and a pull out freezer that I got in 2016.

The doors are magnetic. The version I got has ice and water but NOT in the door (which would be dumb because then you lose that space for Ranch and bacon fat).

Would recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I like my GE. The complaints about it are that it's noisy, presumably from people who have never owned a fridge with an icemaker in it, becuase yes you loving idiots it's going to make ice-making noises while it makes loving ice. In other words, refrigerator reviews are mostly written by idiots.

My only complaint is that the filters for the GE are stupidly expensive, but I found a seller on eBay selling real actual genuine ones for way cheaper. I'm shying away from the non-genuine "compatible" filters because while they all use charcoal, none of them have the full set of certifications.

I had to get a GE pretty much, because we wanted a fridge with an icemaker and dispenser on the front, which was 3" narrower than standard because we have a doorway on one side so the left-hand door of a full normal-width would have hit it instead of opening. GE was one of the only manufacturers that sold weird widthed fridges that met all our requirements.

And yeah it's actually real stainless steel, fridge magnets stick.

e. Oh and with the ice maker and dispenser on the freezer side, the freezer is actually fairly low capacity. Still useable for the two of us, but I kind of want a big freezer out in the garage. I don't think this is up to the manufacturer, it's just the tradeoff for having the icemaker and dispenser thing on a narrower-than-usual side-by-side.