Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rangpur posted:

There's clearly something else going on, because I've tried every code that got posted so far without success. To be clear, I have scanned QR Codes with this 3DS before, albeit from Pokemon Sun rather than Etrian Odyssey. I just have no idea what's causing it.

save the image and zoom to 300% in a viewer, qr codes scale at a 1:1 pixel ratio and the native output res is lower than EO5 would like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

After saving the image, expanding them, turning the contrast on my computer alllll the way up, and awkwardly pointing the camera directly at it for between 15-45 seconds, I managed to scan two QR Codes.

So there you go, it works. It completely defeats the purpose of using a QR code to transmit data, and was just incredibly shabbily done all-around, but it does technically 'work.'

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Hmm, looking at the mastery names for Necromancer it seems unwise to have one and a rover on the same team. Lots of those skills seem to want as many wraiths as possible when using em.

So with that being the case I'm thinking of switching it out.

Currently running F/H : S/N/R

Can't decide between Dragoon Pugilist or Warlock instead of the Necro?

Fencers been pretty much chains chains chains
Harbinger doing not much pre-names but going to bring the death now.
Shaman is workling towards invoke gods or the 5x dance oracle move.
Rover is a hawker.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

It depends on the Mastery; the only Spirit Broker skill that benefits from sacrificing multiple ghosts at once is, I believe, Wraith Explosion. Avoid if you want to make use of that particular skill, but otherwise not a huge deal. Spirit Evoker doesn't want anyone else touching the summon slots though. The real conflict with Necromancers are the Dragoon Bunker/Pillbox skills which draw aggro to the summon row. Wraiths do not like getting hit.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

I'd imagine combo pugilist would be really good for that, as that's a pretty standard chain killer setup. That also being said, chain killer is... probably the second most damaging setup to run in the entire game.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I finally went back and stomped the stratum 1 boss (it was really easy, just going into it with some basic knowledge of the fight and focusing on the body instead of always focus-firing an appendage). Nobody even died, they tanked a few Explosions to the face and got on with the fight. Can't wait to start the second stratum, I basically walked around for a few steps taking in the scenery before bailing back to town.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Everything in the 5th Stratum is an rear end in a top hat.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The Puffer Sparrows look like Pokemon designed by an rear end in a top hat. Their movement pattern, on the other hand, was definitely designed by an rear end in a top hat.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

Rangpur posted:

The Puffer Sparrows look like Pokemon designed by an rear end in a top hat. Their movement pattern, on the other hand, was definitely designed by an rear end in a top hat.

On the other other hand,

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Violently Car posted:

On the other other hand,

Yeah I just said “gently caress it” to the puzzles and pasted one in each of the last two 21F sparrow rooms with my level 53 party. v:v:v

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Violently Car posted:

On the other other hand,

Those guys are smalltime though, as long as you don't attack when its really obvious that you shouldn't attack you will be a-ok.

Now the loving plague demons... :rant:

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Feldegast42 posted:

Those guys are smalltime though, as long as you don't attack when its really obvious that you shouldn't attack you will be a-ok.

If you don’t attack, they heal. A head bind will shut down all their moves, though, and is very easy to land.

E: Do you NEED someone with Take for the rare 5th Stratum herbal gathers, or will Gathering Skill work?

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 21, 2017

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

ZZT the Fifth posted:

If you don’t attack, they heal. A head bind will shut down all their moves, though, and is very easy to land.

E: Do you NEED someone with Take for the rare 5th Stratum herbal gathers, or will Gathering Skill work?

Gathering skills (the ones Earthlians have) have worked for me.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Everything in the 5th Stratum is an rear end in a top hat.

Yes. Yes it is.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Agh, nothing like reclassing a character and forgetting to put any points in racial skills, then wondering why you can't forage for anything. :saddowns:

In the other hand, botanist is working a lot better than shaman was for the third stratum and all the poison bullshit it's throwing around! Plus now I have access to blind and panic for things that don't melt to the glory of Poison Bomb.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

These loving boars, man. At this point I kind of want to make a Celestrian dog Rover just so I can spam Foot Pierce non-stop and eat some yogurt whenever their TP runs low.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Curse damage conditionals continue to be the bane of my existence. The conditional drop might as well be "kill with an unbuffed basic attack", because that's how much backlash damage curse deals to enemies in practice, assuming they're using a damaging multi-hit attack.

At least I got the Plague Demon's conditional fairly easily. Not looking forward to doing it yet again for that post-game sidequest.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

If only there were some kind of substance you could use to preserve the corpses of your enemies at the moment of their deaths allowing for easy harvesting of valuable body parts.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Speaking of, I love the imagery of splashing Formaldehyde all over the enemy -before- killing them to preserve the body. It just clicked for me that that's how that even works.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

5 dragoons vs sonar worms

So easy to beat them.

Basically it just attacked bunkers.

Yeah, that's all it did.

Repeat 3 times.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Plague Demons are the lion things right? I decided to put off fighting them for later after seeing multiple pages of people bitching about that specific FOE.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Rangpur posted:

Plague Demons are the lion things right? I decided to put off fighting them for later after seeing multiple pages of people bitching about that specific FOE.
I think I just got lucky, but I made sure to fight the one that gets punched to introduce you to the punching FOE. With a free turn to set up Wilting Miasma, I was able to use Black Mist to land an arm bind on turn 2, and then between the bind and paralysis, that thing couldn't do jack poo poo for the entire rest of the fight. I don't think I even took any damage.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
Are... are there supposed to be no new quests once you get to 23F? I thought there was supposed to be one off the bat and one that you randomly get.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Are... are there supposed to be no new quests once you get to 23F? I thought there was supposed to be one off the bat and one that you randomly get.

Lili's quest isn't random; the prerequisite scene is unlocked by chopping on 23F. The other one you have to also have mined something on 22F to unlock, according to atwiki.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

That... actually makes sense. The mining quest specifically mentions that NPC getting inspired to ask by seeing all the funky rocks you were hauling back to town from the 5th Stratum.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Rangpur posted:

That... actually makes sense. The mining quest specifically mentions that NPC getting inspired to ask by seeing all the funky rocks you were hauling back to town from the 5th Stratum.

The chop quest by Lili has the same flavor text, where she comments on the wood you brought back from the 5th stratum.

The plague demons aren't so bad, provided you have mana guard and petrification immunity.

I had my dodge tank (and my dragoon) so I made the multi hit attack whiff.

I honestly think one punch FOEs are harder because they just hit harder, but multi hit attacks can pile up the hurt.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

If only there were some kind of substance you could use to preserve the corpses of your enemies at the moment of their deaths allowing for easy harvesting of valuable body parts.

Speaking of which, someone mentioned earlier that you can throw that kind of substance on something in the game which would give you materials to make more of that same substance. What's the enemy / FOE?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Formaldehyde, though I believe the enemy mob you can do that trick with is post-game content. This is usually the case with Formaldehyde because most of the stuff you'd use it for like gold boss drops is used to make weapons in the 250,000en range, give or take.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Feldegast42 posted:

Speaking of which, someone mentioned earlier that you can throw that kind of substance on something in the game which would give you materials to make more of that same substance. What's the enemy / FOE?

That enemy is the alluring imp and you can find it in pairs or singles starting on 27F, and on 30F they come in groups of 4 or 5.

If you do use this trick you have to kill them all in one fell swoop.

It's easier to just panic them, IMO.

Oh and, I beat crystal dragon with 5 dragoons. Dragoons are a good party member for crystal dragon. It took a while to get 9 stacks of gun revenge but once I had my bunker wall up, it got easier. Put it to sleep and buster cannoned it. Sleep was lucky. Black mist + hypno cannon didn't land sleep, but then it landed next turn. So okay.

Blademaster_Aio fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 21, 2017

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah this game has really easy to get Formaldehydes. You can just use panic gas and then kill them and usually get 3 or 4 per battle.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

As breathtakingly sexy as those imps are they were a huge pain in the rear end to my group -- I should probably invest more in consumables for them.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

It's a nice change to have the attack items not suck. They actually have a reasonably good base chance to inflict for once. Ideally you still want the character using them to have a good LUC stat (+Status ATK Up if possible), but it lets you focus on one part of a skill tree like oh, say, Toxic Reap without abandoning the other ailments.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You know what's cathartic? Saying 'gently caress it,' and just mowing down Plague Demons. That's what I settled on doing to navigate 25F. Because gently caress trying to figure out an entire floor of sliding not-ice mazes with those things skating after you. Getting the shortcut before the boss was very, very satisfying. The boss itself...

I didn't realize what the hell the miasma was doing until I looked it up. Should help on subsequent attempts, but he also has just over 35,000HP and the best I can do is around 600-800, depending on whether my Masurao's Triple Strike feels like giving me crits or not.

Part of the issue is party makeup and skill choices. I hate the second name system, because you can't see your 'advanced' skills from the start, so you're kinda hosed if you've set up your first page of skills 'wrong.' Sure, you can rest and redistribute points, but that leads to another issue - grinding. My party's 59-60 (Crystal Dragon decided to be a dick and nuked my Reaper/Medic the turn it died to create a massive XP gap :byodood:) with a Reaper/Dragoon/Masurao Necro/Medic and I kinda don't know what the best way to level further is. I've done every side quest, as far as I know. Grinding enemies and FOEs on the 5th seems like the only option, but the enemy spread is horrible and the FOEs just suck.

If I had known about the Gun Turrets early, I would've not made a Necro. There are too goddamn many 'summon a thing' dudes this time around. Party composition feels strangely shoehorned in that you just can't do certain classes together because then you're vying for what's on the summoned-thing row. So my Necro's relegated to Negative Energy spam and destroying any Wraiths that show up uninvited so my Dragoon can put up Gun Turrets. But then she's relegated to just using mana guard or w/e it's called, and that doesn't save me from Burning Miasma. poo poo nuked me even with that skill maxed.

I dunno. I'll over-level it eventually. I really just don't want to re-do 5 levels without a good, fast way to regain them. Everyone's had a moment like that in one Etrian or another, I feel like. Hitting a wall, surveying your team's poo poo, then shrugging and just deciding to brute force it since you just don't want to have to grind those levels back out.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

ChibiSoma posted:

I dunno. I'll over-level it eventually. I really just don't want to re-do 5 levels without a good, fast way to regain them. Everyone's had a moment like that in one Etrian or another, I feel like. Hitting a wall, surveying your team's poo poo, then shrugging and just deciding to brute force it since you just don't want to have to grind those levels back out.

Two levels.

Please at least make sure your vacuous drive-by complaints are correct.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ChibiSoma posted:

Resting is just two levels nowadays, isn't it?

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Feldegast42 posted:

As breathtakingly sexy as those imps are they were a huge pain in the rear end to my group -- I should probably invest more in consumables for them.

Just buy 5 panic immunity accessories.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I appreciate that the status ailment accessories are all similar in cost regardless of where you get the drops for them from.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Rangpur posted:

I appreciate that the status ailment accessories are all similar in cost regardless of where you get the drops for them from.

This is great. Excellent even.

ChibiSoma posted:

I hate the second name system, because you can't see your 'advanced' skills from the start, so you're kinda hosed if you've set up your first page of skills 'wrong.' Sure, you can rest and redistribute points, but that leads to another issue - grinding. My party's 59-60 (Crystal Dragon decided to be a dick and nuked my Reaper/Medic the turn it died to create a massive XP gap :byodood:) with a Reaper/Dragoon/Masurao Necro/Medic and I kinda don't know what the best way to level further is. I've done every side quest, as far as I know. Grinding enemies and FOEs on the 5th seems like the only option, but the enemy spread is horrible and the FOEs just suck.

You can see your skills. Press X or Y (I don't remember which, the game tells you) when selecting second names and you can see the skills.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

You can see race skills when you're selecting which race to pick on the character creation screen (it's pressing X I think), then you can check which classes have what skills.

Finally when Egar asks you to pick a legendary title, you can press X before you make your selection to check which mastery has which skills.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The prompt for it could stand to be a little more visible, but it's definitely there; the game rarely forces you to make blind decisions. At worst you get a couple skills like '<blank> Mastery' which sound better than they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm at level 10-11 in EO 4, am I strong enough to fight the Bloodbear?