Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Alter Ego posted:

Ask MN goons about Mark Dayton, Minnesota's governor. From what I hear he's basically pulled the state out of the shithole Tim Pawlenty left it in.

As for options, there's Keith Ellison, Tim Walz, and the state AG Lori Swanson. Not sure what you're afraid of.

It wouldn't be anyone who could run in 2018 for the seat. It would be seen as the party favoring one candidate which is kind of a touchy subject.

If there is someone appointed it will be an old guard DFLer who will caretaker the seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Xae posted:

It wouldn't be anyone who could run in 2018 for the seat. It would be seen as the party favoring one candidate which is kind of a touchy subject.

If there is someone appointed it will be an old guard DFLer who will caretaker the seat.

What if the party favors a progressive candidate!

If Ellison didn't have his hands full with DNC plus House I could see him making a bid.

edit I can't goddamn read :saddowns:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Ellison is already an elected candidate and so wouldnt be anything beyond the normal incumbent favouring really. He would also be a good choice, but then theres the question of who would get HIS seat.

Also I would bet he is doing jack poo poo at the DNC post progressive purge

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Ellison is already an elected candidate and so wouldnt be anything beyond the normal incumbent favouring really. He would also be a good choice, but then theres the question of who would get HIS seat.

Ellison can sleep walk in his current seat until he dies if he wants to.

He barely campaigns to the point where when he does fund raise it is for his PAC.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Xae posted:

Stacking the deck is still stacking the deck.

If the progressive wing pushes for it they better stop complaining when it does against them.

I think very few primary voters and very few activists consider appointing a strong candidate to fill Franken's seat as some kind of unfair stacking of the deck, especially considering that Franken's primary was so lop-sided.

GlyphGryph posted:

According to recent interviews he has been working hard alongside Perez doing local organization building ahead of these special elections. But I'm sure he could find someone to fill his shoes at the DNC to fill the senate seat.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

I think very few primary voters and very few activists consider appointing a strong candidate to fill Franken's seat as some kind of unfair stacking of the deck, especially considering that Franken's primary was so lop-sided.

What about the other potential candidates?

There are a lot of people in the DFL who want a shot at a Senate seat. Appointing one of them will piss off all the others.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Xae posted:

What about the other potential candidates?

There are a lot of people in the DFL who want a shot at a Senate seat. Appointing one of them will piss off all the others.

Contrary to popular believe, not everyone can be a winner, Xae. :colbert:

Just give them all "you tried" participation trophies, it'll be fine.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

GreyjoyBastard posted:

What if the party favors a progressive candidate!

If Ellison didn't have his hands full with DNC plus House I could see him making a bid.

edit I can't goddamn read :saddowns:

Ellison should take it. We need someone from Minnesota who is not unlike Klobuchar afraid of pissing off the Healthcare industry.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
I'd be shocked if he wasn't replaced by a woman (in the unlikely event he steps down).

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

LeJackal posted:

There are dozens of them in the world, and I guess the reason this one is so special is because we gave them nukes? Is that the reason?

Why is the Iraq War such a big deal in US politics, there's so many wars in the world, why do ours matter hmmm.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Xae posted:

Ellison can sleep walk in his current seat until he dies if he wants to.

He barely campaigns to the point where when he does fund raise it is for his PAC.

which is incidentally why he can do the DNC thing as well as his House job, because he doesn't have to spend a hojiillion hours doing events and personal fundraising

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Incoming :words:

GlyphGryph posted:

The one competitive election that Keith has ever run was his initial primary to fill Sabo's seat (against Sabo's handpicked successor). By the district's standards, his first general was "competitive", but that was a 51 (Keith) - 21 (R) - 21 (Centrist Dem running as I, promising to caucus) final vote.

I like a Keith a lot, and would like to see his profile raised. But his district does not particularly resemble the rest of the state and he's far from a lock in a state that has rapidly purpled in the last ~15years (Franken won by a few hundred in a recount, Pawlenty won governor twice in 3-way races, GOP controls the legislature, Trump was as close as any R candidate in half a century).

The Little Kielbasa posted:

I'd be shocked if he wasn't replaced by a woman (in the unlikely event he steps down).
Likely women options include Melisa Franzen (state legislator representing the wealthy southwest suburbs), Erin Murphy (former head of nurses union, former Speaker, current legislator and gubernatorial candidate, representing a wealthy area of St Paul), Ilhan Omar (state legislator representing the student & immigrant/refugee-heavy Cedar-Riverside area in Minneapolis.... is unlikely if only due to lack of experience), Lori Swanson (current AG, desire to run for Dayton's seat is worst kept secret in MN), or Rebecca Otto (current auditor, also a statewide elected position). More of a longshot would be lame duck Minneapolis mayor Betsy Hodges (just lost to the pro-business Dem in the Mayoral election. Her tenure had many high and many low points) or former professor and activist Nekima Levy-Pounds (who also recently lost the Mayoral race, and would be a controversial but fascinating pick for Dayton).

If it's a man, Tim Walz (current US house rep of southern mn, strong candidate for governor), Chris Coleman (departing mayor of St Paul, current candidate for governor), RT Rybak (popular former Minneapolis mayor, DNC vice chair who protested over treatment of Bernie, lost gubernatorial primary in 2010), Keith himself, Tom Bakk (senate minority leader from outstate mn).

Only Swanson and Otto have ever won statewide. Towards Xae's point, Klobuchar is one of the safest Dems in the nation and likely will be until she retires (she is 57). For Minnesotan Pols who would like to be senators, this is basically their only shot. If they feel there is undue influence, they will lose their poo poo.

If not running as incumbent is a condition for Franken's replacement-Franzen, Murphy, Hodges, Levy-Pounds, and Bakk all shoot up the list. Franzen/Murphy/Bakk could all credibly run for the US House seats after leaving the Senate, whereas neither Hodges nor Levy-Pounds have any credible chance of winning.

Crowsbeak posted:

Ellison should take it. We need someone from Minnesota who is not unlike Klobuchar afraid of pissing off the Healthcare industry.
Assuming that this is specifically regarding her opposition to Obamacare's Med Device tax, you'll be hard pressed to find a Dem in the delegation who hasn't fought to kill the 2.3% charge. Including Ellison, who took lobbying money and pushed for the freeze.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Paracaidas posted:

Incoming :words:

The one competitive election that Keith has ever run was his initial primary to fill Sabo's seat (against Sabo's handpicked successor). By the district's standards, his first general was "competitive", but that was a 51 (Keith) - 21 (R) - 21 (Centrist Dem running as I, promising to caucus) final vote.

I like a Keith a lot, and would like to see his profile raised. But his district does not particularly resemble the rest of the state and he's far from a lock in a state that has rapidly purpled in the last ~15years (Franken won by a few hundred in a recount, Pawlenty won governor twice in 3-way races, GOP controls the legislature, Trump was as close as any R candidate in half a century).

Likely women options include Melisa Franzen (state legislator representing the wealthy southwest suburbs), Erin Murphy (former head of nurses union, former Speaker, current legislator and gubernatorial candidate, representing a wealthy area of St Paul), Ilhan Omar (state legislator representing the student & immigrant/refugee-heavy Cedar-Riverside area in Minneapolis.... is unlikely if only due to lack of experience), Lori Swanson (current AG, desire to run for Dayton's seat is worst kept secret in MN), or Rebecca Otto (current auditor, also a statewide elected position). More of a longshot would be lame duck Minneapolis mayor Betsy Hodges (just lost to the pro-business Dem in the Mayoral election. Her tenure had many high and many low points) or former professor and activist Nekima Levy-Pounds (who also recently lost the Mayoral race, and would be a controversial but fascinating pick for Dayton).

If it's a man, Tim Walz (current US house rep of southern mn, strong candidate for governor), Chris Coleman (departing mayor of St Paul, current candidate for governor), RT Rybak (popular former Minneapolis mayor, DNC vice chair who protested over treatment of Bernie, lost gubernatorial primary in 2010), Keith himself, Tom Bakk (senate minority leader from outstate mn).

Only Swanson and Otto have ever won statewide. Towards Xae's point, Klobuchar is one of the safest Dems in the nation and likely will be until she retires (she is 57). For Minnesotan Pols who would like to be senators, this is basically their only shot. If they feel there is undue influence, they will lose their poo poo.

If not running as incumbent is a condition for Franken's replacement-Franzen, Murphy, Hodges, Levy-Pounds, and Bakk all shoot up the list. Franzen/Murphy/Bakk could all credibly run for the US House seats after leaving the Senate, whereas neither Hodges nor Levy-Pounds have any credible chance of winning.

Assuming that this is specifically regarding her opposition to Obamacare's Med Device tax, you'll be hard pressed to find a Dem in the delegation who hasn't fought to kill the 2.3% charge. Including Ellison, who took lobbying money and pushed for the freeze.

Adding to this, there are a fair number DFLers who were unhappy with the carpetbagging that Franken did in 2008. Everyone, including Franken, have come to the realization that he will not be running in 2020. Its a god drat open senate seat and every single DFL State Senator wants it. The new Mayor of Minneapolis wants it, the new Mayor of St Paul wants it. It wouldn't surprise me to see either Swanson or Otto to seek the seat if they aren't Governor in 2019.

There is another part to this, Gov Dayton has been an awesome governor, but he has got into some stupid fights with the DFL in the legislature. He has butted his head into areas where it doesn't belong way too many times. The knives are going to be out for a vacant senate seat. If Dayton appoints someone who ends up running for reelection then people are going to go postal. About the only person he could appoint would be Priscilla Lord because she is 73 and lost to Franken in the 2008 Senate primary. It might also work as a consolidation price for Otto or Swanson when one of them doesn't end up getting the Dem endorsement for Governor in 2018. But for that to happen Franken needs to hold on until August.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

karthun posted:

There is another part to this, Gov Dayton has been an awesome governor, but he has got into some stupid fights with the DFL in the legislature. He has butted his head into areas where it doesn't belong way too many times. The knives are going to be out for a vacant senate seat. If Dayton appoints someone who ends up running for reelection then people are going to go postal. About the only person he could appoint would be Priscilla Lord because she is 73 and lost to Franken in the 2008 Senate primary. It might also work as a consolidation price for Otto or Swanson when one of them doesn't end up getting the Dem endorsement for Governor in 2018. But for that to happen Franken needs to hold on until August.

Very good point here, thank you for calling that out. My post above assumes Dayton does what most would see as best for the DFL and for Minnesotan politics moving forward. Dayton's not had a tendency to see those things as related, or in the same way that I (or most others) do. Most of the terms one would usually use to describe that become extra-loaded given his history and background, but aren't related. Idiosyncratic will probably fit best.

If they're promising not to run, I'd lean Franzen (who could likely take Erik Paulsen if he survives this election, and at 37 years old, will have a shot at the Governor's Mansion or a Senate seat in the future) or Levy-Pounds (Minneapolis' NAACP president and someone focused on how the legal system interacts with underserved communities in the Senate would be fascinating). Also because frankly, the DFL does a poor job of advancing people of color (and especially women), so the boost here would be huge. If they will be running, I'd prefer Rybak, Keith, or Swanson and probably in that order.

NothingMatters
Nov 17, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Kind of interesting what the take on Franken is and how those who care about the accusations are now being referred to as "SJW's" by the two biggest Democratic communities on the internet...Hmm..

It seems to me like the Left-Wing of the party continues its death spiral.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Paracaidas posted:

But his district does not particularly resemble the rest of the state and he's far from a lock in a state that has rapidly purpled in the last ~15years (Franken won by a few hundred in a recount, Pawlenty won governor twice in 3-way races, GOP controls the legislature, Trump was as close as any R candidate in half a century).

The idea that a state becoming more of a toss-up/having proportionally more Republicans than before implies its people have become more conservative is fundamentally flawed. There are reasons this could occur other than "people in that state becoming more conservative" and it doesn't in any way necessarily imply that a more progressive candidate would do worse.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

NothingMatters posted:

Kind of interesting what the take on Franken is and how those who care about the accusations are now being referred to as "SJW's" by the two biggest Democratic communities on the internet...Hmm..

It seems to me like the Left-Wing of the party continues its death spiral.

DailyKOS and democratic underground, loving lol.

Also whose rereg are you.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

al franken got a middle schooler who loved snl into politics with his funny books. doesn't matter. gently caress him, he's gotta go and he should have already been gone

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Paracaidas posted:

This is in reference to her opposition to Medicare For All. Love it when libs try to tear down people actually trying to make things better.

Also DailyKos and Demunderground are the left wing? :lol: Like maybe in 2005. When being "left"meant you thought Iraq was bad and thought Gay people should be treated as human beings.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 21, 2017

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Crowsbeak posted:

Also DailyKos and Demunderground are the left wing? :lol: Like maybe in 2005. When being "left"meant you thought Iraq was bad and thought Gay people should be treated as human beings.

When you use those qualifiers you still only get a little more than half the country, though. People really overestimate the average American

NothingMatters
Nov 17, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Crowsbeak posted:

I'm not referring to it as the left-wing.

I'm referring to it as the leading democratic online communities.

When positions being represented there are not left-wing that's bad for leftism within the party.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

NothingMatters posted:

When positions being represented there are not left-wing that's bad for leftism within the party.

Is it really tho

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Flavahbeast posted:

When you use those qualifiers you still only get a little more than half the country, though. People really overestimate the average American

Really? Post polls that show half of Americans think the Iraq war was good. When Obama signed withdrawal that had 78% support.

Gay Marriage has 62% support according to most recent polls. So please tell me where your getting your figures.

NothingMatters posted:

How is it bad? I mean those sites have not been influential in a long time.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Crowsbeak posted:

How is it bad? I mean those sites have not been influential in a long time.

My man you are biting that bait so hard I can practically see the hook coming out of your lip.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It should be obvious at this point that 'left-wing' and 'democratic party' are not mutually inclusive by any means. If anything I first assumed you mean it's the liberal centre eagerly throwing women under the bus again.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Twenty states suspend people’s professional or driver’s licenses if they fall behind on loan payments, according to records obtained by The New York Times.

quote:

As debt levels rise, creditors are taking increasingly tough actions to chase people who fall behind on student loans. Going after professional licenses stands out as especially punitive.

Firefighters, nurses, teachers, lawyers, massage therapists, barbers, psychologists and real estate brokers have all had their credentials suspended or revoked.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Anyone here wear hearing aids?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Boon posted:

Anyone here wear hearing aids?

my baby (9months) nephew does?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

how the gently caress is that even legal

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

botany posted:

how the gently caress is that even legal

Because consumer protections are a myth these days and student loans are in some ways more predatory than payday loans.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

dis astranagant posted:

Because consumer protections are a myth these days and student loans are in some ways more predatory than payday loans.

ok, but shouldn't you have a separate branch of law that covers things like certifications and professional licensing? how can the validity of your license be impacted by something in an unrelated field, i.e. debt management? this is all so weird to me :psyduck:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The state is a glorified collection agency for the ruling class, hth (IM A HUGE PRICK)

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's because the political system is run for the benefit of the rich, and the rich like it when their debtors get squeezed.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

botany posted:

ok, but shouldn't you have a separate branch of law that covers things like certifications and professional licensing? how can the validity of your license be impacted by something in an unrelated field, i.e. debt management? this is all so weird to me :psyduck:

The theory is that since student loans were (WERE) privately funded but insured by the government and given to people with little or no credit history that the government would then be obliged to take any means necessary to ensure repayment. Now they're mostly federal money from the word go but the utter lack of consumer protections needed to get the banks to agree is still there. Then the Department of Education started encouraging states to pass these laws when their bottom line started sagging in the 90s.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 21, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also colleges realised they can jack up their rates as high as they want because someone else is footing the bill.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

botany posted:

I'd have to look at the statutes, but I'd suspect its probably because a condition of being professionally licensed is keeping a good financial situation as to minimize the risk to the public welfare. If you desparately need money, you're in a position where you could be pressured to do something harmful in exchange for cash.

Even then you should have some sort of forbearance or clemency if you've not been practicing in a field for a while before immediately seizing the license after trying to reenter it.

But gently caress taking drivers licenses. That's just utter poo poo.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Get rich or die trying.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Get Already be rich or die trying.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

exploded mummy posted:

I'd have to look at the statutes, but I'd suspect its probably because a condition of being professionally licensed is keeping a good financial situation as to minimize the risk to the public welfare. If you desparately need money, you're in a position where you could be pressured to do something harmful in exchange for cash.

Even then you should have some sort of forbearance or clemency if you've not been practicing in a field for a while before immediately seizing the license after trying to reenter it.

I thought the trick was the state would buy the loans off the market then the state can use their powers to revoke licenses because you owe the state money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

exploded mummy posted:

So in the end we hold nurses making a pittance more accountable than we do candidates for the presidency of the United States

• Locked thread