Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Must be seeded.

Also, I got Twitch Affiliate status, so if you want to cheer me or sub me, that'd be dope and cool. Or just troll my chat and tell me I'm crap. Either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Gotta say, getting aimbot sniped from across the map by a guy with a chinese name with numbers at the end sorta kills my drive to play.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Communist Q posted:

I assume he means 400 dpi which is pretty standard. If you're using 400 dpi, just look at your aiming problems in replays, which you should hopefully be saving and looking at. If you seem to have problems overshooting your target with the reticle, adjust your sensitivity downward. If you're consistently too slow on the draw and adjusting to your target, increase it. It's really something that's dependent on you.

I assumed 400 was his dpi, but I still don’t know his game or windows sensitivity. That’s why we need a physical measure of distance.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

cosmicjim posted:

I assumed 400 was his dpi, but I still don’t know his game or windows sensitivity. That’s why we need a physical measure of distance.

Or you know, the other two pieces of info.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

VulgarandStupid posted:

Must be seeded.

Yeah, when it rains it pours. Happens to me all the time. A typical indication of true randomness is that a person finds its results counterintuitive and un-random. Like "I got a random password with five 8's in it, the RNG must be broken". (Which is perfectly normal.)

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Or you know, the other two pieces of info.

Measuring in distance is kind of an easy, accepted, and universal measure. Knowing his dpi, sensitivity in game, and windows sensitivity is still not helpful to me because I don’t use 400 dpi. I’d have to change all my settings to match his, then do a 360 to really know how high or low his sens is. He could just do a 360 and say what the distance is and we’d all know roughly how high or low that is.

Edit - I move about 13” to turn 360 or about 33cm.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Nov 21, 2017

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I use 400dpi at 42 in game, which gives me a nice low 65cm/360. Lower is better*, nerds.
*within reason

Already Bored
Mar 5, 2004
I HAVE HIGHER ETHICAL AND MORALE VALUES. DID I MENTION I LIKE COCK

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Gotta say, getting aimbot sniped from across the map by a guy with a chinese name with numbers at the end sorta kills my drive to play.

I was in a buggy being chased by a jeep and had my wheel one-shotted which totally killed the car. I jump out, the guy in the jeep does the same thing and starts shooting at me. I throw a grenade that destroys the jeep and him (and looked awesome in the process) before getting gunned down by a hacker that was moving at the speed of light.

I think that was my first run-in with a hacker (I'm relatively new to the game) but at least his intervention led to a cool showdown, heh.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Horizontal Tree posted:

I use 400dpi at 42 in game, which gives me a nice low 65cm/360. Lower is better*, nerds.
*within reason

65cm/360 are you a quake rocket arena player or what

lower ur sens

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, when it rains it pours. Happens to me all the time. A typical indication of true randomness is that a person finds its results counterintuitive and un-random. Like "I got a random password with five 8's in it, the RNG must be broken". (Which is perfectly normal.)

While you are correct, I think there should be some kind of algorithm that prevents the same item spawning three times in the same building.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Horizontal Tree posted:

*within reason

2 feet. Not bad. I used to be closer to that, but I raised it in Overwatch so I’m more used to the roughly 1’ 360.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

daslog posted:

While you are correct, I think there should be some kind of algorithm that prevents the same item spawning three times in the same building.

I'm not gonna say you're wrong, but to me a large part of the charm of PUBG is that chance will really gently caress you over sometimes. In the starting game, that's usually related to loot spawning, but even in the end game, you can do everything right for 25minutes yet still get hosed by a guy hiding in the wrong place when you forgot to check a corner.

This bears no little resemblance to roguelike games (nethack etc), which can actually be a lot worse that way. You'd play a character for 25 hours, then die on the last level, from touching a cockatrice corpse without gloves (due to being blinded and not having fireproofed the gloves so they burned away when you didn't notice). It's preventable (fireproof everything etc) but covering every angle takes so much time it's no fun.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 21, 2017

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

This game has increased my urge to build my own desk so I’m not using a keyboard tray anymore. I already wanted to, but having more than 10” to work with would be nice.

I’d also like to get a TKL mechanical, but gently caress are those things expensive. And it’s sort of trial and error on what switches I would want since nobody I know uses them for comparison.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

And it’s sort of trial and error on what switches I would want since nobody I know uses them for comparison.

Micro Center used to stock all the different variants of Ducky keyboards, which was great for trying a half dozen different switches on otherwise identical boards. Unfortunately I think that's about all they got used for rather than people actually buying them, so they don't have those anymore. You can still find a bunch of different "switch tester" setups online though that include a bunch of different switches and a mounting plate, sometimes also doubling as a functional numpad and/or calculator.

If you're new to mechanical keyboards the question basically comes down to do you want clicky or not? Cherry Blues are the standard clicky option, Cherry Reds are the standard non-clicky, and Cherry Browns are a fairly common in-between. The "speed" or "stealth" ones are variants on Reds with shorter throws or o-ring dampening, respectively.

As a general rule the less clicky ones are considered better for gaming while the more clicky ones are considered better for typing.

There's a mechanical keyboard thread if you want to go way off the deep end.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

This bears no little resemblance to roguelike games (nethack etc), which can actually be a lot worse that way. You'd play a character for 25 hours, then die on the last level, from touching a cockatrice corpse without gloves (due to being blinded and not having fireproofed the gloves so they burned away when you didn't notice). It's preventable (fireproof everything etc) but covering every angle takes so much time it's no fun.

While I totally agree PUBG bears some resemblance to roguelikes (please devolve into an argument about what constitutes a roguelike :pray:), I'd argue your example is more a case of poor game design. Making the optimal way to play be so tedious and exhausting the average player can't be hosed to do it is pretty bad. A better example would be spending the whole game game stocking up on consumables, then dying without using all those buffs you gathered. That's something I've done in probably every roguelike I've played, and is a lot like when I die with four grenades I forgot to throw and a stack of boosts I ignored.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

wolrah posted:

Micro Center used to stock all the different variants of Ducky keyboards, which was great for trying a half dozen different switches on otherwise identical boards. Unfortunately I think that's about all they got used for rather than people actually buying them, so they don't have those anymore. You can still find a bunch of different "switch tester" setups online though that include a bunch of different switches and a mounting plate, sometimes also doubling as a functional numpad and/or calculator.

If you're new to mechanical keyboards the question basically comes down to do you want clicky or not? Cherry Blues are the standard clicky option, Cherry Reds are the standard non-clicky, and Cherry Browns are a fairly common in-between. The "speed" or "stealth" ones are variants on Reds with shorter throws or o-ring dampening, respectively.

As a general rule the less clicky ones are considered better for gaming while the more clicky ones are considered better for typing.

There's a mechanical keyboard thread if you want to go way off the deep end.

I want ones that won’t result in my wife (who sits five feet away) smashing it over my head. TBF she’s a really loud typist even with your standard rubber dome keyboards so I don’t think she gets to complain.

I don’t really do any writing anymore, so it’s just resumes and shitposting on SA. Sounds like reds or browns are what I want.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I want ones that won’t result in my wife (who sits five feet away) smashing it over my head. TBF she’s a really loud typist even with your standard rubber dome keyboards so I don’t think she gets to complain.

I don’t really do any writing anymore, so it’s just resumes and shitposting on SA. Sounds like reds or browns are what I want.

Get a code with clears, it's the greatest keyboard ever. If you bottom out, any mechanical keyboard is going to make noise. Use rubber o-rings to soften the noise of bottoming out if you enjoy mashing your keyboard.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I love my browns in my K95. I do most of my work on the command line in between shitposting and they feel nice for that, while still feeling reasonably quick when I'm being bad at video games in the evening. My housemate has a K70 with blues and if you do a side by side comparison the difference is very noticeable but day to day I apparently tune it out pretty quickly.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I have Cherry MX Silent ones and I'm pretty happy with them for both typing and gaming and my girlfriend is able to sleep in the same room when I need to work late. Those might be worth considering!

Captian Kil
Nov 2, 2011

Sorry if this is an obvious and dumb question, but I had a look online and couldn't see this answered.

I assume the Xbox version of PUBG will let you mute public voice comm? Someone at work was asking if its suitable for children, and the only thing I could think off apart from the obvious violence (which they were ok with) was randos screaming racist stuff over the mic. I doubt there will be a shortcut like on PC, but you must be able to go into sound options and turn voice receive all the way down.

Can anyone confirm?

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I don't think anyone can confirm the console stuff, but it's a very good assumption that you can mute the mic's. You can do it from the in-game menu right now, so the assumption would be you can do it on xbone as well.

https://clips.twitch.tv/ColdEnticingBeefHumbleLife

Every time I do something cool I sound like an idiot.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

wolrah posted:

I love my browns in my K95. I do most of my work on the command line in between shitposting and they feel nice for that, while still feeling reasonably quick when I'm being bad at video games in the evening. My housemate has a K70 with blues and if you do a side by side comparison the difference is very noticeable but day to day I apparently tune it out pretty quickly.

I've got a K70 with browns and I think they are great. I got to try all of their keyboards before buying and the browns seemed like the perfect compromise.

I think BestBuy carries Corsair now. Might be worth it to see if they have any display models you can hammer on to get a feel.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

RizieN posted:

Every time I do something cool I sound like an idiot.

Almost every clip on the internet of a sweet long distance kill is immediately followed by a sharp intake of air. That one is fine.

Speaking of sweet shots...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI06PlrnAjs

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I'm not gonna say you're wrong, but to me a large part of the charm of PUBG is that chance will really gently caress you over sometimes. In the starting game, that's usually related to loot spawning, but even in the end game, you can do everything right for 25minutes yet still get hosed by a guy hiding in the wrong place when you forgot to check a corner.

Perfect example: last game last night, second to last circle went over the house we were in and one more.

Final circle went right on the other house.
7 people left. Gotta rush the house and hope you get them before they get you.

... we didn't make it. The RNG did not smile upon us with that circle. I still think we made the right call, just couldn't execute well enough. We did everything else right, had multiple kills, were doing great. Just got screwed by the circle.
That's why I like this game, i think.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Do people in this thread still not understand what seeding is?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

idk what seeding is but I'm gonna assume it's some nerd poo poo

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

We did everything else right, had multiple kills, were doing great. Just got screwed by the circle.
That's why I like this game, i think.

:agreed:

If mechanics like the circle were more predictable and less random I think the game would become boring and less fun. For me the most fun is had when you are scrambling to try and deal with something unexpected. Especially when it works out for the best.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Dyz posted:

Do people in this thread still not understand what seeding is?

When a mommy and daddy love each other very much...

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Got a lucky rear end M24 shot last night

https://clips.twitch.tv/VibrantStupidBibimbapUnSane

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
Figure I might as well post a video I made of a couple of funny clips. Excuse the breathing. I can't seem to figure out a position for my headset mic that doesn't pick it up.

https://youtu.be/ZKuK9DJNKaI

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I know it's trite to complain about the jank in this game but it really is disheartening to start your first game of the evening with this:

https://giant.gfycat.com/VainSmartHammerkop.webm

And finish it with this:

https://giant.gfycat.com/IlliterateArtisticBillygoat.webm

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
That's pretty mild as far as desync goes. Nice revolver shot though.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
Seemingly legit patch-notes for upcoming test server update https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/comments/7eiqdt/test_server_update_2_terribly_translated_from/?sort=new

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

quote:

Two new weapons have been added:
DP-28 was added. We use a round magazine that can be earned looted on the map and 47 4762 mm bullets. You can install scopes up to the 4x. The launch speed is slow, but it has a long effective range and high damage.
AUG A3 was added. It is a bullpupp assault rifle that uses 5.56mm bullets and can only be obtained from supply drops. Bounce speed and launch rate are high and reaction to vertical direction is suppressed (low recoil?).

If those are true then they added a 7.62 LMG and a 5.56 Crate-Only Bullpup to mirror the Groza. Looks like the AUG will even have the same "built in compensator effect".

Cool if true.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

gotta love the aug

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Bullets will pass through the water and penetration will be influenced by the momentum

Thank loving christ

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

quote:

A new area is added to the suburbs of the island where descent was impossible in the past.

what?

quote:

The area that can be reached after jumping from the plane has been expanded from the previous one.

Does this mean you can parachute out farther? Some of this poo poo reads like stereo instructions.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
what happens if you never leave the plane?

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Snazzy Frocks posted:

what happens if you never leave the plane?

You get to choose the flight path for the next round, but you lose twice the ranking points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hooplah posted:

While I totally agree PUBG bears some resemblance to roguelikes (please devolve into an argument about what constitutes a roguelike :pray:), I'd argue your example is more a case of poor game design. Making the optimal way to play be so tedious and exhausting the average player can't be hosed to do it is pretty bad. A better example would be spending the whole game game stocking up on consumables, then dying without using all those buffs you gathered. That's something I've done in probably every roguelike I've played, and is a lot like when I die with four grenades I forgot to throw and a stack of boosts I ignored.

Well, your example is by far more common for my (careful) player type, but my cockatrice example is the worst imaginable, I guess. =) Such are the flaws of Nethack - there's a reason not everyone was into that game. More modern roguelikes have certainly improved in that aspect.

Permadeath has really come back big time in gaming in the last few years, and I couldn't be happier. Can you imagine a game like PUBG but with respawning? Doesn't sound interesting at all.

YES

• Locked thread