Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Seat Safety Switch posted:

We just got Carls Jr and so far I don't see the appeal at all. Would rather have Jack In The Box.

The six dollar burger is actually a passable burger when a higher level chain (in-n-out, 5 guys, culvers, etc). Way better than jack in the box, mcdonalds, etc. Better than wendy's imho.
The regular burgers are just ok.
Also, crisscut fries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

BraveUlysses posted:

lmao even if you're trolling this is such a bad take

Hamburger chat has me legitimately craving a BK cheeseburger (or four) plain with mayo. Too bad I'm waging a one-man boycott against the local franchisee.

eyebeem posted:

I used to like Five Guys back when I'd only have it as a treat when I found myself in New York. Now that they are all over California I never go.

In N Out has the best burgers because they are a lame, cheap, fast food style burger that doesn't make you feel like garbage after you eat it. It's a crappy burger that hits the sweet spot of comfort food but is made from good, fresh poo poo.

Yeah, the best burger is from a shack that you've never heard of and has a giant crispy cheese skirt. You eat it and are incapacitated for a couple of hours, and your phlebotomist wakes up in a cold sweat. Half the time you want to go the stand is closed because the owner is taking a vacation, and the other half of the time it's 7:09pm and they're closing up early because they sold all the hamburgers.

But In-N-Out is open, had a drive-thru and you can eat three on Double-Doubles on the reg and still win a Cy Young.

nm posted:

Also, crisscut fries.

Almost as good as Arby's curly fries, without the embarrassment of going to Arby's.

Also, In-N-Out fries are trash.

monsterzero fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 21, 2017

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

eyebeem posted:

In N Out has the best burgers because they are a lame, cheap, fast food style burger that doesn't make you feel like garbage after you eat it. It's a crappy burger that hits the sweet spot of comfort food but is made from good, fresh poo poo.

This times a thousand. I'm a SoCal kid and will always have a soft spot for In-N-Out, but aside from that it's still my go-to fast burger spot because I don't feel like poo poo after I eat it. Habit is a better burger but you pay a few bucks more for it and there's no drivethrough. Back when I had a '67 Impala convertible in bright red, the dopest thing was to hit In-N-Out late on a summer night with the top down and eat it under a palm tree. The simplicity of the menu and the "secret" options also appeal to my grumpy old man side. I had 5guys on the east coast before they made it out west, and was underwhelmed but that seems to be the nature of regional burgers.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Music chat:

I was recently played this by a friend and it's been a while since I've been dumbstruck laughing by a band. It pretty much defies description. I'm not entirely sure I like it but it sure is interesting.

https://youtu.be/UBakgOHKI-g?t=5m50s

Batshit.

This owns, thanks for posting it. I love weird music.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Best drat burger I know of is BurgerFiend. There are exactly one BurgerFiend restaurants and it's in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Like every other year I've been to this place it's named something new but obviously similar. I've been there when it was named "BurgerFeen" and "BurgerFry". There used to be a second restaurant also in Cedar Rapids. Whatever is happening in the background I'm not sure, but they got something going with their bacon burger. You won't find so much as a single slice of bacon on it. They grind the bacon right in with the beef. The patties are like 25% bacon.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Today some guy cut me off in his shiny new Alpina and it was incredibly hard not to put a dent in his wicked expensive car that still had the import license plate

It was only hard because he zoomed into the gap in front of me from an onramp then slammed on the brakes

oval office

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I saw teenagers smashing gallons of milk at the grocery store tonight. Children are the goddamned worst.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Does anywhere else in the US so something like Le Burger week? https://leburgerweek.com/

Best week of the year, worst for productivity though as half the office goes out around the city ever day of the week to try out the different burgers. I've had some of the best burgers of my life during that week, also some of the worst as some places just phone it in while others go wild.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Today some guy cut me off in his shiny new Alpina and it was incredibly hard not to put a dent in his wicked expensive car that still had the import license plate

It was only hard because he zoomed into the gap in front of me from an onramp then slammed on the brakes

oval office

I was following a truck on a highway on-ramp the other night I was doing 60kph in an 80 zone due to, well a giant truck-trailer. Cue my surprise when some jackass in a Mazda2 passes me on the inside (breakdown/shoulder) doing about 90. Swerves in between me and the truck, decides he can get the truck too, again ON THE INSIDE. Swerves back out, almost smashes into a loving wall head on because the lane ends. Swerves back in between me and the truck and screams off down the highway. I'm thinking about getting a dashcam after that.

Still, on the way back I got a decent burg' so that's not nothing.

It's a food caravan in the most random area of Parramatta Rd, with gently caress all else around. Every time I have driven past it's been busy, no matter the time of day. Burger was A++, chips were a soggy mess.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Re: Carl's Jr / Hardees... I pity anyone who didn't get their Western Bacon Thickburger or Roast Beef Au Jus burger, because HOLY gently caress.

I think people who don't like In-N-Out just caught the hype before they got the burger. The burgers themselves aren't mind blowing, but the fact that I can get 4 patties and cheese for half the cost of a Five Guys burger is pretty amazing. Also I can eat a whole bag of burgers and not get the meat sweats.

Let's compare:
Five Guys

In-N-Out

Shake Shack - honestly they're bullshit. Their best burg is actually just a mushroom.

Home made:

Smashburger :(

Bo Ssam burger

Bulgogi beef sliders

Social Burger in Vienna, VA

Cowboy Cafe in Arlington, VA

Wendy's (I call it the Beef Cube)

Hardee's (modern day, post golden era)

Edit: I could have sworn I had Whataburger pictures handy but I guess I just ate them before I got a chance to take a picture.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 21, 2017

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Look at the effort burger postin' man.

In & Out is the most consistently solid and good burgers in the world, and also one of the most cost-efficient.
Wendy's is the best mainstream burger place on a worldwide basis, however do not eat at the one that's in the arrivals terminal at Heathrow.

Chili should have beans in it, pineapple on pizza is fine. THERE I SAID IT, look what happens when there's no poli-chat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Carl's Jr/Hardees is fuckin gross.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Rhyno posted:

Like 70% of their franchises are loving TERRIBLE. Then there are 20% which are mediocre/eatable. That last 10% though, those ones who have only been a franchise for like <10 years, or they have a franchise owner who is crazy about what he does, those ones, you get a Western Bacon $6 and eat yourself grumpy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dannywilson posted:

Like 70% of their franchises are loving TERRIBLE. Then there are 20% which are mediocre/eatable. That last 10% though, those ones who have only been a franchise for like <10 years, or they have a franchise owner who is crazy about what he does, those ones, you get a Western Bacon $6 and eat yourself grumpy.

I've had it once this year and my fries tasted like they were cooked in WD-40.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I've had it once this year and my fries tasted like they were cooked in WD-40.

That sounds delicious.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I'm really hungry now :burger:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The Hardee's around here has a special where they'll sell you a uniquely American pile of food for five dollars.

I think they want to kill off their customer base.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Hey, anyone spoken to blk lately? He hasn't posted since mid October or been on the slack he runs.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I occasionally get a 3x3 but i think the double double has the best ratio of meat and cheese to everything else. And added grilled onions are a must. I don't really like animal style though; the mustard plus sauce is a bit much and i don't really like pickles on a burger.

Oh, and we can't leave out Tommy's chili cheeseburgers. That's some good poo poo, but you will feel pretty terrible afterward.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

The Ring of Fire burger at 5280 Burger Bar in Denver is probably my favorite (purchased) burger ever. Second would be the bacon gorgonzola burger at a local dive bar. My favorite burgers are homemade using America's Test Kitchen's Old-Fashioned Burger recipe. It calls for a mix of Sirloin steak tips/flap meat (or flank steak) and beef short ribs cut into 1" chunks and firmed up in the freezer. Coarsely ground in a food processor and gently formed into a patty. Salt & pepper and cook in a skillet. Top with whatever but the base meat is good enough that it doesn't require toppings to be good.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I'm not sure how wide spread it is, but in ND there's a chain called Culvers and they serve butter burgers

(Photo ripped from Google)

These are that perfect greasy comfort burger and they just have that perfect balance of rich and crisp. I almost always stop at one of these when I'm in ND for lunch, never been disappointed yet, and the fried cheese curds are great too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Culvers isn't bad. Five Guys makes a better burger but Culvers has cheese curds.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I think the veggies are the biggest wildcard with most of these burgers. It's not too hard to get the bun, meat, and cheese consistent, but the veggies can vary from place to place and it can make or break the burger.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I agree, as soon as they start putting the rabbit food on I'm like, "Hey, this ain't no loving salad! Get that poo poo out of here I'm having a burger."

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

A good fresh tomato is essential. Most fast food burgers put lovely limp slimy tomatoes and nobody got time for that.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rhyno posted:

Culvers isn't bad. Five Guys makes a better burger but Culvers has cheese curds.

Fresh cheese curds? They must squeak!

As a Canadian it is my duty to police your curds.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fermented Tinal posted:

They're fried. Not sure if better or worse.

The one and only good thing about this state being a snowbird infested hellhole is the Midwestern chains are all moving out here. Culver's, Freddy's, now we just need some Steak N Shake.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Dannywilson posted:

My experience with California Carl's Jr has been pretty solid.

Fermented Tinal posted:

1. They're fried.
2. Culvers is from Wisconsin. I can say many many bad things about wisconsin, but one should never doubt their cheese curding prowess.

Culvers makes pretty solid burgers, plus they have frozen custard. Win loving win.
Their friend cheese curds are fine, though state fair cheese curds are better.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm not gonna wait til a goddamned state fair if I want some goddamned deep fried cheese goddamned curds.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I'm not gonna wait til a goddamned state fair if I want some goddamned deep fried cheese goddamned curds.

Agreed, that is why culvers -- or if you're not in the midwest, ugh, A&W -- is a suitable stand in then.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Aw man I miss A&W. There was a A&W/KFC/Taco Bell triple threat here back in 2001 or so. I used to routinely order something from each menu when I went there.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Ether Frenzy posted:

Wendy's is the best mainstream burger place on a worldwide basis, however do not eat at the one that's in the arrivals terminal at Heathrow.
I don't expect anything from airport burgers but I bought a Wendy's in Austin-Bergstrom that was some next-level airport beef.

nm posted:

My experience with California Carl's Jr has been pretty solid.

:chloe:

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

How loud is your breathing at rest?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

For DFW goons looking for a slapped together, 50s style burger...

Here's one option. Their burgers are ugly, but really good.

Keller's is drat good, but after papa Keller died, the sons banned motorcycles, and really, they've extended that to all the muscle cars that would do their weekly gatherings. No hot rods, no motorcycles, no muscle cars anymore. Going to the main NW Highway location on weekends was like going to an awesome car and bike show. Get out of your car, have a beer or two (you can actually order a beer to your car there too tho), look at a bunch of awesome rides, bullshit with people about their rides, and have . Now it's a "family friendly" place. :argh: Still, they have a carhop that's been there since the place opened in the 1960s.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

so far i've loved wow. 100mb down/10up with the medium cable package for $99/month for three years. hopefully in three years I'll be able to finally convince the missus to get rid of cable so i can get the 500mbps down/50mbps up package that's $80/month or $120/month with the small cable package

I pay $54.99 for that same plan, and typically test at 110 down/12 up.

I'm not on any promo either... it was 44.99 for the first year. I've tried the "so Frontier is offering me a much lower price, can you come down any?", and get "switch to Frontier then". :stare:

For once, TWC/Spectrum actually sounds decent, but the last time I called in, they told me not to make ANY changes to my account, otherwise I'd get bumped to the "current" 100mbit offering.. which cuts the upstream in half to 5mbit, and costs $5/mo more (for 1 year, then goes up by some amount).

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So how do you guys feel about Smashburger?

IOwnCalculus posted:

They'll put fresh jalapenos and guac on a burger, how do you think I feel about that?

What IoC said.

Though I know a (local) place that'll put diced habaneros on a burger.... :allears: That was pretty tasty!

fake edit: the habanero burger isn't on their website anymore, but a yelp review from a week ago says they had it that day.

ilkhan posted:

Habit > In'N'Out > whataburger

Habit isn't in TX, doesn't count (for me). :colbert:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Guac on a burg just doesn't do it for me.

I'm now questioning your taste in food.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Have you tried Twisted Root Burger Co. in Deep Ellum?

Okay, maybe I'm not questioning your taste in food AS MUCH anymore. But they've expanded big time.

Rhyno posted:

Most of them are. The one right by me is loving terrible every time, and I refuse to go there anymore. The one by the first house I lived in when I moved to DFW was (and still is, when I'm in that area) always great.

Bajaha posted:

I'm not sure how wide spread it is, but in ND there's a chain called Culvers and they serve butter burgers

They're here (DFW), but mostly on the outskirts. Only 3 locations now, I'm pretty sure there used to be a few more. I have one about 10 minutes from me, but haven't made it by to try them. More because they default to putting mayo on their burgers. :argh:

Darchangel posted:

I don't even need to pay the $5/mo extra to Spectrum for a WiFi router, since I have a Ubiquiti.

They still give you the exact same modem/router combo, they just turn off the wifi remotely. And if it's anything like the 3 TWC/Spectrum gateways I've experienced, they're really locked down in terms of what you can configure (even on the router side).

Of course now, every time I call in for an issue, except for the last time, they say they've "determined [my] modem is defective" and they'll be sending a tech out to replace it (with a charge for a service call, of course, since I own my modem). Every time, the modem is showing absolutely nothing for a signal on the diagnostics page, and every time, it's back up within an hour or so, showing the same signal and SNR levels I'm used to seeing.

At least the last time I called, I actually got someone in the US, and they didn't pull the bullshit "your modem is bad, we're sending someone out at your cost to replace it with our FREE* GATEWAY". And they actually understood what I was talking about when I mentioned "signal levels" and "SnR", instead of going "mm hmm, I see, well sir I'm going to need you to power cycle your modem" (when I've already outlined all the poo poo I've done.... this is when I go into rear end in a top hat mode and ask the overseas CSR if they heard anything I said and point out I used to be level 2 for them..).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Nov 21, 2017

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Man I used to get dogpiled in here for suggesting that 5 guys were poo poo, now everyone hates them. What happened hmmm :thunk:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I guess a bunch of us got tired of having five guys in our mouths...

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I pay $54.99 for that same plan, and typically test at 110 down/12 up.

I'm not on any promo either... it was 44.99 for the first year. I've tried the "so Frontier is offering me a much lower price, can you come down any?", and get "switch to Frontier then". :stare:

For once, TWC/Spectrum actually sounds decent, but the last time I called in, they told me not to make ANY changes to my account, otherwise I'd get bumped to the "current" 100mbit offering.. which cuts the upstream in half to 5mbit, and costs $5/mo more (for 1 year, then goes up by some amount).

comcast wanted me to pay $179/month for 100/10 and 400 channels i would never watch, plus half of those channels being blocked from using the apple tv apps for them. Comcast did have a massive and great selection of on demand movies on top of HBO's stellar lineup, and being able to watch the newest rick and morty the day after it aired from their web portal was great.

Limiting me to 1TB/month +$15.99 per TB AND twc/att/xfinity pushing for the end of Net Neutrality? gently caress no.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

eyebeem posted:

How loud is your breathing at rest?

:lol:

I like having In & Out when I go out west, once per trip.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Sorry to disrupt clogged artery chat, but for those that have a Meijer store nearby, they have a stupid-good deal on microfiber towels.

They have Grab-A-Rag boxes at $14.99 BOGO, so $15 gets you 100 microfiber rags. I picked up a couple boxes yesterday, getting a couple more today.

Here's the same thing at Amazon, with camel saying the lowest price it's been there is $16.50/box. https://www.amazon.com/Grab-Rag-Reusable-Detail-Microfiber/dp/B06XTZK6G8

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
We just got a 5 Guys here last year, and after the initial rush, it's a ghost town. Local fast food chain B-Bops is the best thing going. All they do is basic fast food, and they can get you a cheeseburger, fries, and a chocolate shake for six bucks.

Joke's on the 5 Guys too, as they're building one right across the street now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I don't think I've had a burg I thought was lovely. As a fat though I don't mind stupid large amounts of grease fat and salt. I've had plenty of baconators but just last night we had some 93% burgers at home and they were great.

On that note, as of yesterday I'm now down 72 pounds. Still a fat but a less big fat.

• Locked thread