Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Beverly Cleavage posted:

It's used for all house primary traffic. I work from home so it can be useful on some stuff there, the in-laws only call the house, school stuff for kids, and when my wife was on-call for the hospital, it would always call the house. It has it's uses. But not $25/mo. uses.

TT - Way to support your local businesses. :p Imagine the lost revenue when they have to pay the $$$$ fees to all the credit cards users.

I would imagine that the lost revenue due to fees is less than the lost revenue due to not having as many customers

Seminal Flu posted:

Yeah, it's weird teaching kids about cash when they never see me with any "hand money."

Cash is for poors.

In other news: I've been fighting with WOW cable for a week. For the past year-plus I've been getting speed readings of 65/66mb. Repeatedly. Month over month. November 10 they had internet service down for maintenance and, ever since then, I haven't seen over 62, with most readings in the mid-50s and down to 49mb.

Now I'm paying for a 60mb package, and just three months ago I re-upped with a long-term contract. Then they cut my speed by 15-20% and say "oh well, you're still getting your rated speed within our parameters." That's not okay. When I re-upped, I assumed that the service would continue as it had been provided.

They've since put me in the outsourced-only phone support box and the "executive support" person that's ignoring the issue doesn't know that I have the number for the executive assistant for the CEO. He'll know that soon. :D
so far i've loved wow. 100mb down/10up with the medium cable package for $99/month for three years. hopefully in three years I'll be able to finally convince the missus to get rid of cable so i can get the 500mbps down/50mbps up package that's $80/month or $120/month with the small cable package

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

so far i've loved wow. 100mb down/10up with the medium cable package for $99/month for three years. hopefully in three years I'll be able to finally convince the missus to get rid of cable so i can get the 500mbps down/50mbps up package that's $80/month or $120/month with the small cable package

I've been with them for several years and, other than a continual uptick in billing that needs bitching to bring back down, they've been fine. Zero complaints about uptime and service, until now. One of the answers that I got was that I was just "lucky" over the past year to get 66mb. :jerkoffsmilie:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I can't stop playing BotW after buying it last week. Printed some Hylia statues.

Printed pretty hollow, then filled with sand and hot-glued over the hole in the bottom, to give them weight.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What printer is that? Could you have custom sliced the thickness of that landing that seems to have blown through in the left statue?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Darchangel posted:

This is someone who has clearly never eaten at Whataburger.

edit: In 'N' Out is overrated hype. They're good, but nothing special, at least compared to what we already had here in Texas. Are other burger shops in California just bad?
Actually I may be thinking of Five Guys. Which was... exceedingly mediocre. And expensive. I'm not fond of In'N'Out, but its definitely better than Five Guys.

Seminal Flu posted:

Yeah, it's weird teaching kids about cash when they never see me with any "hand money."

Cash is for poors.
Also hair cuts, because I tip and want to do it with cash.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Imagine the lost revenue when they have to pay the $$$$ fees to all the credit cards users.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

i havent used cash in probably five years. any place that's like "uh cash only buster" i go and put my poo poo back and go somewhere else

yeah lemme just carry a wad of something that can be stolen from me and not be able to be gotten back
edit: in retrospect maybe i have lived in detroit for too long

Bolded for emphasis. As a merchant I will tell you why cash. Anyone can dispute a credit card charge. You can walk into Walmart, buy something with your card. SIGN YOUR NAME, smile and wave to the camera and leave with the stuff. You can then call your bank/card issuer and dispute the charge. Your money will be refunded. Every. Time. You can buy something on Amazon, under your account, shipping to your billing address with signed delivery of said product. You can call and dispute that charge and will get your money back every time. This does not include the fact that you are a horrible person for committing fraud.

Who loses? The merchant. Every time. Visa/Master Card/AmEx/Discover loses no sleep over it. They just reach into your account and pull the money out. The merchant is out on the money and out on the product. If you pay with cash then there is no retribution like this, entirely independent of the ~3% processing fees for a credit card.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Seminal Flu posted:

I've been with them for several years and, other than a continual uptick in billing that needs bitching to bring back down, they've been fine. Zero complaints about uptime and service, until now. One of the answers that I got was that I was just "lucky" over the past year to get 66mb. :jerkoffsmilie:

WOW and ATT are the only options where I live. We've had ATT for a couple years and they just bumped up the cost, since the "promotional rate" we've had forever ended. :jerkbag: I want to give WOW a chance but their reviews are terrible up here so I'm hesitant.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

What printer is that? Could you have custom sliced the thickness of that landing that seems to have blown through in the left statue?

It's my Rostock Max V2.5 (started as a V1, upgraded through the years with the V3 parts). I could have, yes, with S3D, but :effort:. Those are post-painted with some high-fill primer.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Larrymer posted:

WOW and ATT are the only options where I live. We've had ATT for a couple years and they just bumped up the cost, since the "promotional rate" we've had forever ended. :jerkbag: I want to give WOW a chance but their reviews are terrible up here so I'm hesitant.

They’re v good and I can send you my guy’s number, he can hook you up

Honestly the main reason I went with them is no data cap, Comcast and ATT are super against net neutrality and also limit you to 1TB per month which is stupid as gently caress

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Wrar posted:

I use my debit card when I need cash and at the bank. That's it.

:same: x3

I take out $100-$200 in cash, generally lasts me more than a month, and then everything else is CC. Heck, the tap poo poo on CCs now is actually faster than debit/cash.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I could have, yes, with S3D, but :effort:.

Yeah, dicking around with slicer settings is so much work. Maybe if it were my day job.
I don't have ABS filament, and have found a vendor on Treatstock who can print stuff decently if I need that.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

If you never use you debit card anywhere why bother having one?

You're better off carrying cash these days because it's much more likely your card will get skimmed than getting robbed for your cash.

Same as Wrar, for use at the ATM at my bank, and also the bank has you insert the debit card at the teller and put in your PIN when doing checking account transactions with a human teller. :iiam:

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Ferremit posted:

some fuckstain who spoofed a credit card number.

Happened to me about 2 months back. Bank initially refunded me and cancelled my card, then took the money back out without telling me, because the companies charged (hotels, clothes and restaurants) swore that it must have been me.

It took multiple hours over several days on the phone (down a string and 2 tin cans quality line to dehli) and signing statements to get my cash back, learning along the way that in the UK, if its under a few hundred quid a time, police don't investigate at all and neither do banks. Low level debit card fraud is essentially legalised crime.

From the details I got, I could get a good picture of things- test orders at restaurants, clothes and other poo poo ordered to the hotel room. Skinny jeans and timberlands wearing fucker is probably still in the same hotel room, knowing no-one gives a poo poo.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Bolded for emphasis. As a merchant I will tell you why cash. Anyone can dispute a credit card charge. You can walk into Walmart, buy something with your card. SIGN YOUR NAME, smile and wave to the camera and leave with the stuff. You can then call your bank/card issuer and dispute the charge. Your money will be refunded. Every. Time. You can buy something on Amazon, under your account, shipping to your billing address with signed delivery of said product. You can call and dispute that charge and will get your money back every time. This does not include the fact that you are a horrible person for committing fraud.

Who loses? The merchant. Every time. Visa/Master Card/AmEx/Discover loses no sleep over it. They just reach into your account and pull the money out. The merchant is out on the money and out on the product. If you pay with cash then there is no retribution like this, entirely independent of the ~3% processing fees for a credit card.

When people pull that at the company I work for, they flag that person and account from ever paying with plastic again, unless the account changes name. We have your SS# too, bitches.

To the earlier point of "buh your CC# can get skimmed" - yeah it can. So have multiple credit cards (ideally a mix that maximizes available rewards), and a small sum of cash ('walking around money', if you're from the country :v: ). And JFC don't have anything with your SS# on your person unless you need it specifically that day!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

slidebite posted:

:same: x3

I take out $100-$200 in cash, generally lasts me more than a month, and then everything else is CC. Heck, the tap poo poo on CCs now is actually faster than debit/cash.

By "tap poo poo" do you mean contactless? We have that on debit cards too back in the UK.

Its great, but unfortunately most bars/pubs here have a minimum charge of £10 before you can use contactless so you are stuck with still using cash unless you have more than the 2 drinking friends I usually seem to end up out with, or are happy paying more for drinks than I am or don't like to go out...

I've gone the opposite way to all of you and stopped using my credit card and now use debit only as they wouldn't let me set up a standing order to pay the whole CC balance off each month. I can only do a set amount or the minimum payment automatically, so as a consequence I kept getting charged interest if I forgot to pay it manually in time.

The level of protection against fraudulent transactions seems just as high on debit as it is on credit, if not better as they seem more responsive. I've had my debit blocked quite a few times for 'suspicious' transactions and they have generally rung me within a couple of minutes to ask me about them.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

ilkhan posted:

Actually I may be thinking of Five Guys. Which was... exceedingly mediocre. And expensive. I'm not fond of In'N'Out, but its definitely better than Five Guys.

Five Guys has never made me a burger I felt was worth paying for. I'd rather have a lovely unloved McDonalds quarter pounder than Five Guys. I think everyone whom likes their burgers must hate burgers. I've tried multiple different Five Guys restaurants over the years, every single time the result was the same dry, overcooked patty wrapped in a forgettable bun and bland toppings. Maybe I'm just unlucky, but as a fat, burger-loving 'merican I was pretty exited when they showed up to town and tried to give them every chance.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
So how do you guys feel about Smashburger?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I can see how five guys can exist in markets where the only competition is the usual collection of fast food burger restaurants, but put them somewhere with decent alternatives and I don't understand how they're such a hit.

I live in one of the five US cities that claims to be the birth place of the hamburger (Akron, OH) and you can throw a rock and hit three excellent locally-owned burger restaurants without even trying. Some have been in continuous operation since the 30s and one - a drive in called Swensons - has been ranked in the top 50 burger restaurants nationwide by Zagat and Business Insider several times. And yet five guys still manages to attract a huge following here.

I guess their "voted best burger in X city" campaign really works.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Everyone knows the best burger is from Burger King. And if you think otherwise you should google 'lèse majesté' before you get thrown into Burger Dungeon.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Best burger is Fellows The Burger Stand, down an alley just south of Omotesando station in Tokyo.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I like Smashburger quite a lot. Five Guys and In N Out both have their place, but I usually go to In N Out simply based on portion size for fries. Nobody canshould finish that many fries in one sitting. The Habit is also a good burger and they have great fries. The burger just looks very tidy too which I appreciate.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

They'll put fresh jalapenos and guac on a burger, how do you think I feel about that?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

IOwnCalculus posted:

They'll put fresh jalapenos and guac on a burger, how do you think I feel about that?

Five Guys will put fresh jalapenos AND grilled jalapenos on a burg. How about that?
Guac on a burg just doesn't do it for me.

Personally, I don't think Smashburger is all that special.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Five Guys is ok, McDonalds/BK taste like sadness, best burger is a greasy as hell fully loaded bacon cheeseburger from any local diner. I've yet to visit a diner that couldn't make a burger to beat any chain, maybe I've had good luck though.

Denny's burgers used to be good, especially if you're ordering at 2am and all the grease from the past dayweek is floating on the grill.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I really liked the Five Guys here when they first opened but I feel like it's gone downhill since. The burgers are still the second best fast food burger offering in town but they've gotten messier with assembly and the fries are way too limp and oily, which makes me think that they're not processing them right or they've got their fryer set up wrong or something.

The best fast food burgers in town are at a local place called Hoagieville, but the real reason to go there is for the hoagie cheese fries.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
5 guys has really gone downhill in the fries department. The burgers were always a greasy mess, the fries used to be cooked right and a huge amount, the huge amount part gets smaller every year while the price climbs.

Personally I think that chain has expanded way more than it should.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

ilkhan posted:

I like Five Guys, too, but agree that they are a bit expensive for what they are. Whataburger is no gourmet burger by any means, but as far as fast food burgers, at fast food burger prices, they rock. In 'N' Out is good for the price, don't get me wrong. I just didn't think that they were the Nirvana of burgers deserving the idolatry I witnessed from SoCal transplants here.
That said, when I worked for a couple of weeks in Cali, I may have waxed poetic for and/or lamented the lack of Whataburgers there.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

They’re v good and I can send you my guy’s number, he can hook you up

Honestly the main reason I went with them is no data cap, Comcast and ATT are super against net neutrality and also limit you to 1TB per month which is stupid as gently caress

This is something I noted when comparing my current Uverse plan with charter/Spectrum/formerly Time-Warner cable here. I'm currently exempt from the data cap because I have Uverse TV as well, but I was planning on dropping that in the very least. $90 for poo poo I don't watch is starting to get annoying. Need to get off my butt and switch, especially since I can get 100/10 Mb for $45 (for one year, then $65.) I'm paying $50 for 18 Mb. AT&T's high-speed offering is 50 Mb @ $60, and still carries the 1TB limit. I don't even need to pay the $5/mo extra to Spectrum for a WiFi router, since I have a Ubiquiti.

trouser chili posted:

Five Guys has never made me a burger I felt was worth paying for. I'd rather have a lovely unloved McDonalds quarter pounder than Five Guys. I think everyone whom likes their burgers must hate burgers. I've tried multiple different Five Guys restaurants over the years, every single time the result was the same dry, overcooked patty wrapped in a forgettable bun and bland toppings. Maybe I'm just unlucky, but as a fat, burger-loving 'merican I was pretty exited when they showed up to town and tried to give them every chance.

Huh. I never get a bad burger at the one I go to by work. Always fresh and juicy, and the folks working the counter and back are enthusiastic. I'm sorry you've got crappy cooks where you are.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Tasty. I also like their Veggie Frites, since I'm trying to be good and cut down on sugar/carbs. If I'm honest, the only real reason that Five Guys wins out over Smashburger when I'm choosing lunch, it's because I really want Five Guys' cajun-style fries.

for some good burger, there's "The Porch" on Greenville in Dallas. Too far to go now that I don't work in downtown, but they were in the top 10 in Texas some years back. It was definitely tasty. First time I had a burger with an egg on it. Now I order that whenever it's available.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Darchangel posted:

I like Five Guys, too, but agree that they are a bit expensive for what they are. Whataburger is no gourmet burger by any means, but as far as fast food burgers, at fast food burger prices, they rock. In 'N' Out is good for the price, don't get me wrong. I just didn't think that they were the Nirvana of burgers deserving the idolatry I witnessed from SoCal transplants here.
That said, when I worked for a couple of weeks in Cali, I may have waxed poetic for and/or lamented the lack of Whataburgers there.

This is something I noted when comparing my current Uverse plan with charter/Spectrum/formerly Time-Warner cable here. I'm currently exempt from the data cap because I have Uverse TV as well, but I was planning on dropping that in the very least. $90 for poo poo I don't watch is starting to get annoying. Need to get off my butt and switch, especially since I can get 100/10 Mb for $45 (for one year, then $65.) I'm paying $50 for 18 Mb. AT&T's high-speed offering is 50 Mb @ $60, and still carries the 1TB limit. I don't even need to pay the $5/mo extra to Spectrum for a WiFi router, since I have a Ubiquiti.

Huh. I never get a bad burger at the one I go to by work. Always fresh and juicy, and the folks working the counter and back are enthusiastic. I'm sorry you've got crappy cooks where you are.

Tasty. I also like their Veggie Frites, since I'm trying to be good and cut down on sugar/carbs. If I'm honest, the only real reason that Five Guys wins out over Smashburger when I'm choosing lunch, it's because I really want Five Guys' cajun-style fries.

for some good burger, there's "The Porch" on Greenville in Dallas. Too far to go now that I don't work in downtown, but they were in the top 10 in Texas some years back. It was definitely tasty. First time I had a burger with an egg on it. Now I order that whenever it's available.

Have you tried Twisted Root Burger Co. in Deep Ellum?

~EDIT: OH gently caress I WAS SO DISTRACTED BY BURGERS THAT I FORGOT ABOUT KOLACHE!~

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

redgubbinz posted:

Five Guys is ok, McDonalds/BK taste like sadness, best burger is a greasy as hell fully loaded bacon cheeseburger from any local diner. I've yet to visit a diner that couldn't make a burger to beat any chain, maybe I've had good luck though.

Denny's burgers used to be good, especially if you're ordering at 2am and all the grease from the past dayweek is floating on the grill.

At least BK does actually flame broil the burgers. It's not much, but it helps. Not to mention that you can smell it for miles thanks to the required actual chimney exhaust.
Denny's - not bad, but nothing particularly special.

I just remembered Chop House Burgers here in DFW, an offshoot of the Chop House steak place. Oh, man, those are good.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Have you tried Twisted Root Burger Co. in Deep Ellum?

~EDIT: OH gently caress I WAS SO DISTRACTED BY BURGERS THAT I FORGOT ABOUT KOLACHE!~

There's a Twisted Root in Hurst, as well. Yummy, but a little pricey, and they don't have a lot of the exotics listed any more.

edit: actually in Bedford, TX.
edit 2: I love their atomic and ranch pickles, and their root-beer flavor of the day scheme.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 20, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

monsterzero posted:

Everyone knows the best burger is from Burger King. And if you think otherwise you should google 'lèse majesté' before you get thrown into Burger Dungeon.

lmao even if you're trolling this is such a bad take

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Five Guys will put fresh jalapenos AND grilled jalapenos on a burg. How about that?
Guac on a burg just doesn't do it for me.

Personally, I don't think Smashburger is all that special.

Five Guys isn't bad but I don't get the hype. Way too greasy.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

IOwnCalculus posted:

Five Guys isn't bad but I don't get the hype. Way too greasy.

I didn't know there was hype. Five Guys is our area's Hometown Hero. They've always been around, so it's just what you do here.
The grease is the appeal as far as I'm concerned.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I got to finally have a kfc double down a few days ago and while it may have taken years off my life one of them with supercharger sauce rather than that bbq sadness was loving amazing

Good kfc beats all but its all dependent on good prep and cooking- some kfc branches are just plain sad, many are mediocre and some produce manna straight from heaven

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I used to like Five Guys back when I'd only have it as a treat when I found myself in New York. Now that they are all over California I never go.

In N Out has the best burgers because they are a lame, cheap, fast food style burger that doesn't make you feel like garbage after you eat it. It's a crappy burger that hits the sweet spot of comfort food but is made from good, fresh poo poo.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I occasionally go to 5-guys and don't dislike it, but man do I miss in-n-out. And actually carl's jr. A Superstar is probably my favorite greasy fast food burger.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

jamal posted:

I occasionally go to 5-guys and don't dislike it, but man do I miss in-n-out. And actually carl's jr. A Superstar is probably my favorite greasy fast food burger.

I have soft spot for a double western bacon cheeseburger, as I'd down those things like a lunatic back in High School. I don't think I've had Carls Jr in at least 10 years... I should get one soon to remind myself why I don't eat like that any more.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Oh man, remember when Carls Jr had Monte Cristos?

Those were brutal - like 3000 calories and 200 grams of fat. I was sick for days after eating one.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

jamal posted:

We just got Carls Jr and so far I don't see the appeal at all. Would rather have Jack In The Box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Banking system is slightly different here- they won’t refund you instantly and the banks fraud department must authorise it before you get your money back. Stops bullshit like the examples earlier from Walmart and amazon earlier.

Aus has essential totally abandoned signatures on cards too- it’s all payWave or pin now.

As for the utilities, the power bill is for a quarter and we pay 40c per kWh... and a 90c a day supply charge. Hence the install of a 9.3kw solar system two weeks ago

• Locked thread