Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

This series was about perfect, the only single thing I felt fell flat was the :eyeroll: gun control guy.

Like, yeah I get that they needed him to be a strawman to counter what the other prominent character was saying about "are freedoms" but yeesh.

Nobody in politics self-identifies as "part of the anti gun movement" because the "anti gun movement" exists only in NRA scaremongering propaganda.

Taking home "Gee, now guns are pretty cool and I need to rethink my life" was like watching a STDH fwd:fwd:fwd acted out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

moths posted:

This series was about perfect, the only single thing I felt fell flat was the :eyeroll: gun control guy.

Like, yeah I get that they needed him to be a strawman to counter what the other prominent character was saying about "are freedoms" but yeesh.

Nobody in politics self-identifies as "part of the anti gun movement" because the "anti gun movement" exists only in NRA scaremongering propaganda.

Taking home "Gee, now guns are pretty cool and I need to rethink my life" was like watching a STDH fwd:fwd:fwd acted out.

Yeah he was the only element that left a bad taste in my mouth mostly because of how much of a goddamn conservative strawman he is. A US politician at that level calling themselves 'anti-gun' would be booted out of office in even the bluest of states. Which is sad in of its own right but,

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Not really getting the "slow burn" criticism at all, but I'm only 1/3 of the way in so maybe it does slow down too much but some of my favorite scenes so far have been when guns weren't firing. the give and take between Frank and Micros was really good. Seems like if there was more fast paced ultra violence, a certain segment of viewers would bitch that it was Rambo or some poo poo.

And, again, god drat. This show is violent as hell, People honestly think there's not enough action and graphic violence. My God.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I usually only notice a slow burn if I'm bored (so some parts of Jessica Jones and all of Iron Fist), and I was never bored watching Punisher. The pacing was fine to me. It's definitely not what I was expecting/dreading it to be (a nonstop murder express heading to the bullet farm), and honestly I'm glad that Frank only goes all murdery once every couple episodes, and when he does, he's so savage it's hard to feel like his behavior is glorified.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's not a slow burn it's just that people expect The Punisher to kill a dozen people every episode and that's not what this show is

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you’re an NYPD detective, I recommend hanging out by the waterfront, where on any given day you can catch about a dozen shady deals going down.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

As Nero Danced posted:

I usually only notice a slow burn if I'm bored (so some parts of Jessica Jones and all of Iron Fist), and I was never bored watching Punisher. The pacing was fine to me. It's definitely not what I was expecting/dreading it to be (a nonstop murder express heading to the bullet farm), and honestly I'm glad that Frank only goes all murdery once every couple episodes, and when he does, he's so savage it's hard to feel like his behavior is glorified.
Bernthal's war cry is loving terrifying in how primal it is

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

achillesforever6 posted:

Bernthal's war cry is loving terrifying in how primal it is

War roar.

It's hard to call it a cry or even a scream. Dude is just straight up roaring and it's a pretty solid sign that something is about to go horribly wrong for someone else.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

zoux posted:

If you’re an NYPD detective, I recommend hanging out by the waterfront, where on any given day you can catch about a dozen shady deals going down.

I thought this too. That spot under the bridge seems like a pretty good place to stake out too.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I'm just thinking about the amount of punishment laid down on Frank over the last third of the season and it's ridiculous. Also, the only real continuity error I noticed was when Frank was just oozing blood out of his mouth and nose for this whole quiet scene, quickly followed by a scene where his face and shirt are barely red instead of saturated with several pints of blood.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

loving hell, episode 12 is fantastic. Rawlins chewing the scenery is incredible.

edit: I thought I was on episode 13 before. That was actually episode 12.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 21, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

loving hell, episode 12 is fantastic. Rawlins chewing the scenery is incredible.

edit: I thought I was on episode 13 before. That was actually episode 12.

Yeah this show has not 1, but 2 climaxes in the narrative.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The only substantial continuity error I caught was when Karen didn't have her purse gun in the room, then did in the standoff..

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

moths posted:

The only substantial continuity error I caught was when Karen didn't have her purse gun in the room, then did in the standoff..

Go back and check. I missed it too first time round but she grabbed one of the Anvil guard’s pistols just before the Senator shoved her into Lewis.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That makes sense - I think what threw me was the detective calling it hers in the debriefing.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Karen seems like a really terrible person who uses a bombing to chase personal glory, put herself in the spotlight again, give a terrorist a speaking platform, and put a lot of people in danger while being deluded that she's fighting for a noble cause somehow. She's been the only character that I really disliked, and it really goes to show you how much better Punisher is than Daredevil in the character department.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m rewatching DD S2 because I just want more Punisher right now and the family photo that Karen finds is clearly of a blonde woman with two little girls, so they changed his family between that series and this one

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Runaways is really good so far. If nobody cares about :effort:, since I'm strickly phone posting atm, I could throw up a thread. Or should it fall into one of the Marvel generals? Is there even more than one any more?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

moths posted:

That makes sense - I think what threw me was the detective calling it hers in the debriefing.

I seem to recall she corrects him on it? Him or Frank.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Show really does pick up and start paying off in episode 9.

Woden
May 6, 2006

site posted:

It's not a slow burn it's just that people expect The Punisher to kill a dozen people every episode and that's not what this show is

Yeah, it's the first Netflix Marvel series that fills out the 13 episodes well, every other show would have been better with the story tightened up.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
God drat. Punisher is the best Marvel show. It didn't drag towards the end like the rest of them, the main characters, side characters, and antagonists were all compelling with the exception of a couple minor characters and one from daredevil. I love that they avoided the trite "it's morally wrong to kill, what separates us from them" type stuff. Frank castle was a broken psychopath from the start and didn't drop it to suddenly become righteous midway through. They did spare the final villain, but death would have been a mercy for him.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Woden posted:

Yeah, it's the first Netflix Marvel series that fills out the 13 episodes well, every other show would have been better with the story tightened up.

I maintain that DD season 1 did it almost as good
only feeling like it dragged near the end because I hate third-act breakups

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

esperterra posted:

Runaways is really good so far. If nobody cares about :effort:, since I'm strickly phone posting atm, I could throw up a thread. Or should it fall into one of the Marvel generals? Is there even more than one any more?

Oh poo poo, forgot that had started.

Really enjoyed the first couple of years of the comic before it turned to trash.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

Oh poo poo, forgot that had started.

Really enjoyed the first couple of years of the comic before it turned to trash.

There a thread yet? I want to post somewhere that i think amy acker is being typecast as Marvel mutant mother, but apparently it's not her it's a different actress?

this is the fun stuff we can discuss when we get a thread.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BSam posted:

There a thread yet? I want to post somewhere that i think amy acker is being typecast as Marvel mutant mother, but apparently it's not her it's a different actress?

this is the fun stuff we can discuss when we get a thread.

Yeah, like what the heck is Runaways even?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, like what the heck is Runaways even?

Kids have super powers, parents are part of some type of cult.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

notthegoatseguy posted:

Kids have super powers, parents are part of some type of cult.

I'm really gonna need more than that. Didn't DC have a group with the same name or was that just in the Young Justice series?

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

I'm really gonna need more than that. Didn't DC have a group with the same name or was that just in the Young Justice series?

Kids find out their parents are actually a super villin group called "the pride". The pride controls a ton of criminal activity. In the comic they range from mutants (hulu might have trouble using that word), aliens, time travelers, wizards, and assassins.

The kids runaway and try to stop their parents. Its actually a very good comic, but I am worried the show will not touch on some of the crazier comic stuff that makes it good. Molly was the fan favorite of the book, a kid around 8 or 9 with super strength. It looks like they aged her up for the tv show so Not sure how well it will work.

My big worry with the show is typical marvel rights. A few of the stories use marvel properties that I am not sure hulu has access to. I think I read they are going to avoid some of the arks and maybe even change the kids around a little.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
So I'm like halfway through Defenders and its ok but I'm really chomping at the bit to get going on Punisher. Does anything happen in the latter half of Defenders that I would want to know about going into Punisher? From the trailer it seems like Punisher could be a completely stand alone story, which is what I'm hoping for.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

So I'm like halfway through Defenders and its ok but I'm really chomping at the bit to get going on Punisher. Does anything happen in the latter half of Defenders that I would want to know about going into Punisher? From the trailer it seems like Punisher could be a completely stand alone story, which is what I'm hoping for.

Frank's on his own, Defenders is just info you might wanna know if you plan on sticking through DD3, JJ2, IF2(?), and LC2.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

you really don't need to watch all that trash to get into punisher

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

Frank's on his own, Defenders is just info you might wanna know if you plan on sticking through DD3, JJ2, IF2(?), and LC2.

Oh yea I'm definitely not just dropping it, I just wanted to know whether there's like crucial plot stuff that happens that would make me confused going into Punisher if I skip it. So I'll just start Punisher and kinda watch them together depending on my mood. I'm enjoying having all the characters together playing off each other but the overall story with The Hand isn't really doing it for me.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There are no references to Defenders in Punisher.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

One thing I'd like to see in Punisher S2 is for them to take a page out of the Garth Ennis MAX run and split the narrative between Frank and the villain of the piece. We got a little of that in this season, but I'd really like them to flesh out the bad guy a little more.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Frank's hair- back when he wasn't a broken man- is terrible.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It’s amazing how much of the season the punisher spends with a bowl cut or flat bangs. But it relates to the shows promise that he’s not an ultimate badass you to relate to and look up to all the time.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Frank's hair- back when he wasn't a broken man- is terrible.

It took me way too long to realize this isn't the Always Sunny thread and that this post isn't about Frank Reynolds.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Bernthal has great hair too so it's obviously something they thought fit with Frank's character. It makes sense, why the gently caress would a single minded murder machine give a poo poo about his hair style. Just keep it short enough so that it doesn't get in my eyes while I'm murdering, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'd kind of like a one or two episode mini series of Frank running into The Hand. So used to dealing with the worst Iron Fist and the Devil of Hell's Kitchen that they don't know what to do when the murder bellowing starts.

Edit: As for actual season two speculation, I'm going to go with the arc that starts off with the world's dumbest man digging up Frank's family and pissing on them on TV.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 21, 2017