Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Sagebrush posted:

AvE is...problematic.

He knows a lot of poo poo about a lot of things and sometimes comes up with clever ideas. His way of speaking can be entertaining.

He also knows poo poo-all about some things, but either doesn't realize this or pretends otherwise, and shoots off his mouth. His way of speaking can be needlessly disgusting and offensive. For instance, this is a ruler he sells -- notice the scale on the right end

Before anyone says "well that's just how old shop guys talk" ask yourself why it should be okay just because that's how things have always been.

I don't know, I've heard and used "butt hair" as a colloquial unit of measure in shop settings. Even as a 20 year machinist, I've never heard "oval office hair". It seems unnecessarily misogynistic. Also:

1. If he did his research, he'd know that redheads have the thickest hair follicles and should be placed as such.

2. He didn't spellcheck his idiot retard ruler? gently caress that oval office.

3. It looks like a six inch scale, but I don't see a 10/100 scale on it(unless it's on the back). Congrats, fucker. You're stupid and offensive in multiple directions.

Also, delicious content:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

glynnenstein posted:

The point is that harsh penalties can have unintended consequences such that past a certain limit you aren't further reducing infractions but actually increasing them, particularly when a driving license is almost causal to employment.

I have no data on whether most US jurisdicitons' penalties are well short or close to that limit, but it takes more consideration than "drunk driving is bad so punish it maximally" and defies comparison with jurisdictions where cars are not as central to life.

What the gently caress? Is someone forcing you to go out somewhere with a car, get drunk, and then drive?

If driving is central to your life, how about not endangering that by driving drunk? How would harsh penalties increase infractions? Who gives a gently caress if some shitheel who somehow was unable to avoid a DUI now gets caught driving without a license and gets jailed. Oh no! Consequences!!

I mean, I get that living in a lovely country like the US with less medical aid/addiction treatment doesn't make it easy for low income alcoholics but what's the answer? Give people a pass on loving murder?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rad-daddio posted:

I don't know, I've heard and used "butt hair" as a colloquial unit of measure in shop settings. Even as a 20 year machinist, I've never heard "oval office hair". It seems unnecessarily misogynistic. Also:

1. If he did his research, he'd know that redheads have the thickest hair follicles and should be placed as such.

2. He didn't spellcheck his idiot retard ruler? gently caress that oval office.

3. It looks like a six inch scale, but I don't see a 10/100 scale on it(unless it's on the back). Congrats, fucker. You're stupid and offensive in multiple directions.

Also, delicious content:

It's a commonwealth thing though often a red one's "the finest thing you'll ever see" and scaled as such.

2. I don't think he actually sold that one, it's been through several revisions and become some kind of beginner electronics project where you solder on an LED and affix a magnifying glass labeled "pecker detector"

Blitter posted:

What the gently caress? Is someone forcing you to go out somewhere with a car, get drunk, and then drive?

If driving is central to your life, how about not endangering that by driving drunk? How would harsh penalties increase infractions? Who gives a gently caress if some shitheel who somehow was unable to avoid a DUI now gets caught driving without a license and gets jailed. Oh no! Consequences!!

I mean, I get that living in a lovely country like the US with less medical aid/addiction treatment doesn't make it easy for low income alcoholics but what's the answer? Give people a pass on loving murder?

Generally people with their licenses revoked around here will just drive illegally and not get caught unless they do something stupid like being born black. And if you're caught in a parking lot all they can do is tell you to call a ride and wait around hoping you try to drive off.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Nov 21, 2017

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

So Math posted:

Is this as dumb as I think it looks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoJxaz3VtuE

good way to gently caress up your grape vine, dick

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Blacknose posted:

In the UK getting caught drunk driving is an automatic minimum 18 months driving ban. No ifs, buts or appeals. How the gently caress are there developed nations where that isn't the case? gently caress drink drivers and gently caress their rights to drive. Selfish little wankers.

Guy in a small town a ways over had his license revoked, so he drove his drat riding mower to the booze store. Can you guess if he was drunk while doing so? He was :911:

Blitter posted:

Rich people are willing to give a pass to lovely drunk drivers because they're not allowed in rich people areas :shrug:

Seriously, 1950s suburban developments made "commute to work" a given design, and worse, they didn't factor in mass transit because "a car in every garage". It was a really short-sighted and obscenely capitalist design which inevitably hosed over whole swathes of communities and helps funnel poor people into compact areas because the range of mass transit limited their mobility.

Also, in the U.S., distances and time of transit are interchangeable. That is how integral driving is in the U.S.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
None of that excuses making the choice to get pissed up then drive your car though. I'm aware of the issues the US faces with a dominant car culture etc, but like, just don't drink before driving. It's easy, I do it every day.

e; that's not entirely true. I don't drive every day because we don't have hilariously broken towns/cities. But it is true on the days when I do drive.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Blitter posted:

People take a rational thought: "I probably won't be caught," and mix it with a totally irrational weighing of the consequences. That's just human nature and we are stuck dealing with it. The reality is that justice and effective public policy aren't always 1:1. It might be just to punish people more harshly for a given crime, but that doesn't mean it creates the best outcome for society.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
holy poo poo. in the UK, apparantly downsing rods are still in use by almost all water companies to 'detect' water pipelines and ruptures: https://medium.com/@sallylepage/in-2017-uk-water-companies-still-rely-on-magic-6eb62e036b02

look at all those idiot corporate twitter accounts confirming they use divining rods (see the end of the article)
https://twitter.com/YorkshireWater/status/932650378260307969
https://twitter.com/thameswater/status/932957516157288448

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I guess the idea is that, besides punishment, it's preferable to actually stop people from driving drunk. Jail works well enough for that but it's not a long-term solution.

If you've got a dude somewhere with no public transportation to get him to work and you put a device on his car that makes it very difficult to drive drunk, then most likely he will be driving sober. If you take away his license then he may continue driving anyway in order to work, and will probably be doing so drunk.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

glynnenstein posted:

People take a rational thought: "I probably won't be caught," and mix it with a totally irrational weighing of the consequences. That's just human nature and we are stuck dealing with it. The reality is that justice and effective public policy aren't always 1:1. It might be just to punish people more harshly for a given crime, but that doesn't mean it creates the best outcome for society.

I doubt it even goes that far in a lot of cases, and instead is flat out self-delusion.

"I'll just have one, nothing wrong with stopping for a drink after work, I deserve it. Well, maybe a second one, I'm a big guy, 2 isn't enough for me to be impaired." *Is now slightly impaired, possibly still under the legal limit as planned, but now judgement is impaired* *With reduced judgement more drinking occurs.* By the time they decide to drive home they're drunk, and no longer capable of making rational decisions. Now a person ought to be able to foresee that chain of events before taking the first drink, that's where the self-delusion comes in.

Plus for some folks the only socializing they do is at the bar, so not stopping for that drink means social isolation. Drinking alone at home is just sad.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Lemon posted:

I guess the idea is that, besides punishment, it's preferable to actually stop people from driving drunk. Jail works well enough for that but it's not a long-term solution.
What is it about drunk driving specifically that makes repressive measures inadequate? Literally every other offense is punishable the same way and no one bats a loving eye.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

What is it about drunk driving specifically that makes repressive measures inadequate? Literally every other offense is punishable the same way and no one bats a loving eye.

I meant that jail isn't a long-term solution in that unless you're going to lock people up for life then they are probably going to end up on the road again at some point. And that doesn't seem likely to happen.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Lemon posted:

If you've got a dude somewhere with no public transportation to get him to work and you put a device on his car that makes it very difficult to drive drunk, then most likely he will be driving sober. If you take away his license then he may continue driving anyway in order to work, and will probably be doing so drunk.

Exactly. The concept pervades workplace safety as well.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

evil_bunnY posted:

What is equivalent though?

If you misuse your penis they don't take away your penis licence and force you to abstain from sex for X years after prison. They don't fit you with a penis interlock that will only allow you to use your penis for approved activities.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

dis astranagant posted:

Generally people with their licenses revoked around here will just drive illegally and not get caught unless they do something stupid like being born black. And if you're caught in a parking lot all they can do is tell you to call a ride and wait around hoping you try to drive off.

Automatic License Plate Recognition solves that to a huge extent. Pass one of those cameras (static or on a police car) and the system will put two and two together and flag you.

As far as parking lots go, they would simply do you for Drunk in Charge of a Motor Vehicle instead. Which carries a mandatory 10 penalty points or a discretionary driving disqualification, and a fine of up to £2500 and / or a range of sentencing options including community service or a prison sentence of up to 3 months

Drunk driving is an incredibly selfish, incredibly dangerous crime and there should be absolutely no room for excuses. Drunk drivers are cunts and don't deserve any sympathy.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

So someone who puffs a .07 should be punished the same as someone who puffs a .21?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Automatic License Plate Recognition solves that to a huge extent. Pass one of those cameras (static or on a police car) and the system will put two and two together and flag you.

As far as parking lots go, they would simply do you for Drunk in Charge of a Motor Vehicle instead. Which carries a mandatory 10 penalty points or a discretionary driving disqualification, and a fine of up to £2500 and / or a range of sentencing options including community service or a prison sentence of up to 3 months

Drunk driving is an incredibly selfish, incredibly dangerous crime and there should be absolutely no room for excuses. Drunk drivers are cunts and don't deserve any sympathy.

It's not a serious crime everywhere though. One time our provincial Premier was convicted of drunk driving while in Hawaii, it was only a misdemeanour there. If he'd done it in Canada it would have been a felony and he would have been expected to give up the office, but since it was just a misdemeanour there he decided it didn't rate resigning. lol.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
This derail sucks.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The Lone Badger posted:

Step 1 of fixing this is to redesign american cities.

Step 2 is to shrink the United States to the size of England and require everyone to live in a city.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Dui is a misdemeanor

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Phanatic posted:

Step 2 is to shrink the United States to the size of England and require everyone to live in a city.

Well, not everyone. If you get convicted of drunk driving you're forcibly relocated to Newyork City and never allowed to leave.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

We had enough problem with traffic light cameras that it's nigh impossible for static cameras to survive court. And in the areas where this is the most problem there aren't a ton of police around checking every car. The road network of your entire nation is barely 3/4 the size of that of my impoverished flyover state.

As many have mentioned, jail only works if you're going to keep them there for good and points just lead to them driving illegally. It's not about sympathy, it's about actually trying to solve the problem with the resources available. Also, driving laws generally only apply to public roads.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 21, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nocheez posted:

This derail sucks.

https://i.imgur.com/IsOKmQO.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/4sckavZ.mp4

xsuperkidx
Sep 21, 2000

Bread Liar

Nocheez posted:

This derail sucks.
No. This derail blows.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

That noise you can hear is MSHA eating everyone alive and spitting out their bones.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Was the dude who wanders in late the flagman who was supposed to prevent that exact thing from happening?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Facebook Aunt posted:

What is equivalent though?

If you misuse your penis they don't take away your penis licence and force you to abstain from sex for X years after prison. They don't fit you with a penis interlock that will only allow you to use your penis for approved activities.

They do in some cases. Chemical castration.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

Do you generally apply for a penis license with your state gov? no?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

evil_bunnY posted:

Do you generally apply for a penis license with your state gov? no?

Keep your penis license up to date. You don't want it to be impounded.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Blitter posted:

it turns out that habitual drunks are alcoholics who have an addiction which makes them make bad decisions and so you can't expect them to behave in a rational manner

which is to explain why someone would make this choice, and keep making this choice. if the consequences don't work the second, third, or fourth time, why would the state expect them to work in the future? wouldn't it be time to try something else?

if you jail someone for a long period of time just for repeated duis and no other offences, you've just jailed a drunk. if you take their license away permanently, eventually they're going to drive again illegally - probably without car insurance as well

making them blow into an interlock is about the best solution we have

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 21, 2017

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

boner confessor posted:

it turns out that habitual drunks are alcoholics who have an addiction which makes them make bad decisions and so you can't expect them to behave in a rational manner

which is to explain why someone would make this choice, and keep making this choice. if the consequences don't work the second, third, or fourth time, why would the state expect them to work in the future? wouldn't it be time to try something else?

if you jail someone for a long period of time just for repeated duis and no other offences, you've just jailed a drunk. if you take their license away permanently, eventually they're going to drive again illegally - probably without car insurance as well

If you drive a car in the UK without insurance, they take the car away from you on the spot.

You only get it back when you have insurance.

Hard to drive drunk when your car/truck is in an impound yard.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

spog posted:

If you drive a car in the UK without insurance, they take the car away from you on the spot.

No, it's not, because you just go on Craigslist and buy a beater from some local guy.

NB: "Beater" is US slang for "cheap lovely car."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

spog posted:

The average U.S. household has like twelve cars.

The solution is to prosecute housemates who fail to keep the keys from them

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
oops

Fallows fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 21, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

spog posted:

yeah, same in most/all of the states. driving without insurance is a big crime

...but if you just take away someone's license forever, you're giving them an incentive to break the law, because not driving simply isn't an option for many americans. hence interlocks, because you have to give people an opportunity to do thing legally if they're going to do thing regardless

and yeah if you confiscate someone's car they're just going to get a different, cheap car

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

evil_bunnY posted:

How many states take your license when you don't repay your student loans?

I mean we weren't talking about student loans, if you want to bring student loans up, that's a whole different discussion. Hell, we'd need to start at the COST of college first, then we could go into how loans are loving predatory and the fact that you have NO WAY to remove them without payment, because they persist beyond bankruptcy.

Then yes, after both of those, we could talk about states suspending/revoking/whatever your license for non-payment of student loans.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

boner confessor posted:

wtf no a better solution would be to jail them and mandate that they attend rehab sessions so that they can learn how to quit being a danger to everyone around them lmao

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Ahh the good old "Throw people in jail, it solves problems", except that it doesn't.

Really, we should just jail everyone and let the human race die off.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MF_James posted:

Ahh the good old "Throw people in jail, it solves problems", except that it doesn't.

Really, we should just jail everyone and let the human race die off.

Maybe Earth is some good planet's Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
Look, I'm need to drive blind-stinking-drunk because of Reaganism and any attempts to dissuade me are racist. Your family is just going to have to roll the dice.