Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I see Switch isn't region locked, so will I be fine to buy a copy of Super Mario Odyssey here in America for my girlfriend who has a Japanese Switch? She will want to play it in Japanese.

Also, is there any sort of peripheral or add-on that would make a good gift, or that is basically essential for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

That's just goddamn yoshimitsu

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The only bug I've run into is the companions all went aggro on me when I was supposed to be in a sparring match, but I was able to redraw and resheathe my sword and they chilled out

That happened on PC and other consoles too. I've also been in sparring matches and had Lydia start slaughtering people thinking we were in battle (especially one in particular but can't remember which town, just remember the area that I was fighting in). So in order to actually complete that and not be chased by guards, I'd have to load the previous save and tell her to stay put somewhere a bit aways from the area and then start it and make sure to not even bump into a bystander to trigger her to come running in and stabbing people.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I see Switch isn't region locked, so will I be fine to buy a copy of Super Mario Odyssey here in America for my girlfriend who has a Japanese Switch? She will want to play it in Japanese.

Also, is there any sort of peripheral or add-on that would make a good gift, or that is basically essential for it?
I'm not sure whether NA copies have Japanese text, but the game will be playable.

As for peripherals, well I guess a Pro controller is an obvious choice if she doesn't have one. I picked one up even though I didn't mind playing with the joycons, it is a pretty nice controller. It's expensive though, due to the internals (HD rumble and NFC reader).

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Carrying case and a second charger/cable.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

you know, I forgot how much I miss mods in Skyrim when I play Skyrim on the Switch, and by mods, I mean the 'replacing spiders with bears' mods because holy poo poo I forgot how many spiders there are in this game

Due to this I've just developed a huge dependency on commanding Lydia to scout ahead in dungeons so that she can take care of spiders while my character stares up at the ceiling and hides.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

enojy posted:

Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp Just went live on the App Store (iOS.) You have to search for Nintendo and list their apps to see/download it.

Hey dum dums! Stop talking about Skyrim and LA Noire or Splatoon or whatever DUMB poo poo and play Animal Crossing!!!!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Can my lizard man, Linkzalfos, only marry other lizard people?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Macaluso posted:

Hey dum dums! Stop talking about Skyrim and LA Noire or Splatoon or whatever DUMB poo poo and play Animal Crossing!!!!

:yeah:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Al Borland Corp. posted:

As far as I know, anybody can marry anybody who's flagged as "eligible". This includes a lot of the party members and rando NPCs.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

At least as far as digital copies are concerned, it will conform to the account’s selected language.

Source: I bought SMO off the Japanese eshop and it plays just like a copy from NA on my NA account.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'm pretty sure you can boink anyone who is flagged as marriable

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Tempura Wizard posted:

At least as far as digital copies are concerned, it will conform to the account’s selected language.

Source: I bought SMO off the Japanese eshop and it plays just like a copy from NA on my NA account.

Can I gift her a digital copy?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

irlZaphod posted:

I'm not sure whether NA copies have Japanese text, but the game will be playable.

As for peripherals, well I guess a Pro controller is an obvious choice if she doesn't have one. I picked one up even though I didn't mind playing with the joycons, it is a pretty nice controller. It's expensive though, due to the internals (HD rumble and NFC reader).

I can confirm that American copies bought on an American switch on an American eshop account will play in Japanese if you play on a Japanese profile (and maybe also change system settings to Japanese? I had both on when I decided "I want to see if this works" and didn't test for just one or the other)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Apparently you can also adopt children in this game? What is the point of that, do you get some bonus?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Apparently you can also adopt children in this game? What is the point of that, do you get some bonus?

They can adopt pets and spawn some radiant quests where they get kidnapped.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It's mainly a role playing thing but they do occasionally give you gifts and you can get a buff for being nice to them.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/The_Gift_of_Charity

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
It is however incredibly hosed up there are only various human kids and no Lizards/orcs/elves/cat.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i'm not playing the latest nintendo dud phone scam

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Macaluso posted:

How money grubbing is the app?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

That's just goddamn yoshimitsu

No, that's wrong.

With the white body and slender athletic build it's more like Hakumen from BlazBlue.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Part of the Hearthfire dlc. Maybe it just makes your giant mansion feel less empty, or gives the orphanage a reason to exist beyond the Dark Brotherhood quest.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Not very. It's not a gacha based game, everything in it can be earned over time.

Also there's probably a thread for it I'd imagine.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I think you get a bonus when you sleep in that house at night, though you may have had to play hide and seek with them or do whatever they wanted to do that day. Can't remember what that bonus actually does, but its something like a 0.25% or 2% bonus to some stat for the day.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Akarshi posted:

you know, I forgot how much I miss mods in Skyrim when I play Skyrim on the Switch, and by mods, I mean the 'replacing spiders with bears' mods because holy poo poo I forgot how many spiders there are in this game

Psssh... even when they're modded, you know what they REALLY are, deep down inside.

EDIT: And yes, I made an Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp thread -> https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838672&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

My favorite time in Skyrim is when a dog started following me and the game became about me and the dog, every combat encounter was a terrifying battle as I tried to quickly kill the enemies before they could hurt my dog. Bandits, wolves, Dwemer robots, the dog fought all of them alongside me.

Eventually a dragon attacked a town, people ran for cover and some tried to help, we killed it but when the dust settled the dog was nowhere to be found and I knew the worst had happened. I decided I wasn't going to reload and this would just be the natural end to our story. Then after about thirty seconds my dog came running out of some bushes where I guess he was hiding. It was a good day :unsmith:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

My first 100 every playthrough is pickpocket. Admittedly a little more annoying to do on switch as there no quickload button like on pc but still possible. Without mods though, i've had to rope in my desire to pickpocket every single npc as I don't want to raise my level too high early on and get railroaded in quests.

Pickpocket is seriously the best though. Getting the top perks lets you pickpocket armour and weapons from bandits, leaving them naked and defenceless. There's also a forsworn enemy that you can kill by pickpocketing their heart.

Well I know what skill I'm gonna start working on, that sounds hilarious.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Well I know what skill I'm gonna start working on, that sounds hilarious.

I think whenever I get it for Switch (because it's very much happening someday), I'm going to go and do all the stuff I never bothered with in the game before, like Pickpocketing, and Enchanting/Conjuring.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think whenever I get it for Switch (because it's very much happening someday), I'm going to go and do all the stuff I never bothered with in the game before, like Pickpocketing, and Enchanting/Conjuring.

Conjuring is, hands down, far better than Destruction for getting your battle-mage on in modless Skyrim. The conjured weapons are awesome with an early talent, and having an expendable companion on demand is great. At 100 you can even summon permanent (or, at least, no timer) versions.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Microtransactions in Animal Crossing :stonk:.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

scam

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Tender Bender posted:

My favorite time in Skyrim is when a dog started following me and the game became about me and the dog, every combat encounter was a terrifying battle as I tried to quickly kill the enemies before they could hurt my dog. Bandits, wolves, Dwemer robots, the dog fought all of them alongside me.

Eventually a dragon attacked a town, people ran for cover and some tried to help, we killed it but when the dust settled the dog was nowhere to be found and I knew the worst had happened. I decided I wasn't going to reload and this would just be the natural end to our story. Then after about thirty seconds my dog came running out of some bushes where I guess he was hiding. It was a good day :unsmith:

So beautiful.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

DOOM and Skyrim are in the top 5 eshop purchases, that's pretty crazy. Bethesda going all-in with Switch at little risk probably paying off big time.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Microtransactions in Animal Crossing :stonk:.

Were you uhh...expecting differently there? Don't play or even look at mobile games

Unless we're talking about mobile consoles like the Switch

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I loving love that it's Tom Nook that hocks that bullshit. At least they're somewhat self aware.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Who is she 👀💦💦💦

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

These new blades are getting weirder and weirder.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Tender Bender posted:

Feel-good story of the year.

:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I would reload constantly to keep Dogmeat(s) and Rex alive while playing Fallout. Because dogs are the best.

• Locked thread