Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Does anyone else use the AutoNotification app to block persistent notifications? Because I do, but I have to re-do multiple notifications I want blocked every few days. When I click on the Notification Blocking header and it takes me to the list of things I want blocked, it always only has a single display per app that I want blocked.

So for example right now it shows "Android System: Title: networks available". I use that one to block the "Wi-Fi networks available" notification. But I've also entered in one about "Messenger is displaying over other apps" and "USB charging this device", but those are nowhere to be found. Am I missing something? I have tried editing the already created block of it, and tried pressing the + key in the upper right, but I always only have one single display per Android app. This is really starting to piss me off, as I just want these stupid loving notifications gone, and when I create a block for one it's gone, but only for like, a week. What the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

Does anyone else use the AutoNotification app to block persistent notifications? Because I do, but I have to re-do multiple notifications I want blocked every few days. When I click on the Notification Blocking header and it takes me to the list of things I want blocked, it always only has a single display per app that I want blocked.

So for example right now it shows "Android System: Title: networks available". I use that one to block the "Wi-Fi networks available" notification. But I've also entered in one about "Messenger is displaying over other apps" and "USB charging this device", but those are nowhere to be found. Am I missing something? I have tried editing the already created block of it, and tried pressing the + key in the upper right, but I always only have one single display per Android app. This is really starting to piss me off, as I just want these stupid loving notifications gone, and when I create a block for one it's gone, but only for like, a week. What the gently caress?

You know you can just turn off the "Networks available" notification, right? You don't have to block it, there's a UI option and everything. It's right there in wifi preferences.

"USB charging this device" only happens when you charge through a device that isn't a charger. The notification is there because you have to use that notification to enable other modes. Your Messenger notification is a due to the obvious security problem using accessibility options can expose so you can't turn that off but the good news is that Google will be removing that functionality soon so that notification will go away once Messenger is no longer allowed to display over other apps.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It's bad news actually

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Blue Train posted:

It's bad news actually

It's bad news in the same sense that its bad news that I have to go through the effort of opening a door to get in my house instead of just walking in through an opening

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

There are legitimate uses for the accessibility settings and just removing all apps that use them outside of their guidelines is the laziest googliest way of addressing concerns of the potential for abuse

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Blue Train posted:

There are legitimate uses for the accessibility settings and just removing all apps that use them outside of their guidelines is the laziest googliest way of addressing concerns of the potential for abuse

Legitimate apps are still going to have access to accessibility services though.

edit: for now.

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 17, 2017

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

LastInLine posted:

You know you can just turn off the "Networks available" notification, right? You don't have to block it, there's a UI option and everything. It's right there in wifi preferences.

Nope, didn't know that, thanks.

Can anyone else chime in on why I have to reset the notification blocker every few days?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Not sure if this is the right thread or the main Android one, but anyhow. Is there a way to submit a modification of navigation directions in Maps? Twice on my way to work and once on the way home, Maps will tell me to continue straight to stay on the frontage road. The thing is these intersections are just normal +s or Ts, not forks. Do I have any way to tell Google that this is completely unnecessary?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'd like to know as well. When I head to my parents, it tells me to stay in the right two lanes for an exit, which is correct, but it tells me to get into those lanes before another exit splits off and if I follow those instructions, I would end up on a completely different interstate going 90 degrees in the wrong direction.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

hooah posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread or the main Android one, but anyhow. Is there a way to submit a modification of navigation directions in Maps? Twice on my way to work and once on the way home, Maps will tell me to continue straight to stay on the frontage road. The thing is these intersections are just normal +s or Ts, not forks. Do I have any way to tell Google that this is completely unnecessary?

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/3094088?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
That only seems to be about locations, not directions.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hooah posted:

The map data has the two segments recorded as entirely different roads, that is why it's telling you to "continue straight". The only thing that will fix the directions is fixing the location information, they will become correct once the road info is correct.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ohhh, that makes sense. I've submitted the corrections; hopefully I was clear enough for them to understand.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I know this was discussed recently except the other way around. On my new phone Chrome has the old UI with the address bar at the top. How do I get it at the bottom with the cool New Tab layout with suggested articles and stuff?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Everyone might know this app already but I found an alternative to Rounded Corner that has no ads and works as well (if not better), Round Corners Pro.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I have an old phone with an email app. I'd like to move the app and data to my current phone because it still has access to my iCloud account. Everything else is unusable or bricked because of a problem with two factor authorization.

Is the port doable,will it keep working on the new phone?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

I know this was discussed recently except the other way around. On my new phone Chrome has the old UI with the address bar at the top. How do I get it at the bottom with the cool New Tab layout with suggested articles and stuff?

chrome://flags turn on Chrome Home.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I think the answer to this will be to delete the email or sign out of maps, but maybe there is another solution.

Google Maps is picking up appointments from my email. This has been fine, but I was about to show somebody a map and it had BIG EMBARRASSING APPOINTMENT on it, and I can't seem to find a way to have it not do that.

Like I said, I think the only solution is to delete the email, but if others have any ideas I'd love to hear.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

effika posted:

I think the answer to this will be to delete the email or sign out of maps, but maybe there is another solution.

Google Maps is picking up appointments from my email. This has been fine, but I was about to show somebody a map and it had BIG EMBARRASSING APPOINTMENT on it, and I can't seem to find a way to have it not do that.

Like I said, I think the only solution is to delete the email, but if others have any ideas I'd love to hear.

Are the appointments showing up on Google Calendar as well? You can remove the location information from the calendar entry if so (and move the location info to the notes section if you still need it) and then Maps won't remind you of that location for that appointment anymore.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Good luck with your hemorrhoid surgery friend

effika
Jun 19, 2005

fishmech posted:

Are the appointments showing up on Google Calendar as well? You can remove the location information from the calendar entry if so (and move the location info to the notes section if you still need it) and then Maps won't remind you of that location for that appointment anymore.

It's not a calendar entry - I do have an event for it, but it doesn't have any location info with it or even a location in the subject.

Blue Train posted:

Good luck with your hemorrhoid surgery friend

ty, this is the thread that truly cares

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

You could install another navigation app like Here.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Flipperwaldt posted:

You could install another navigation app like Here.

Bingo! I have enough storage space that it doesn't really tax it to install another map app.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

effika posted:

I don't have a way to test this but at least on desktop I remember being able to tap on the map event pin thing and it would tell me where it was pulling the data from and have an option to remove it somehow. But this may have changed and mobile may be different anyway.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

effika posted:

It's not a calendar entry - I do have an event for it, but it doesn't have any location info with it or even a location in the subject.

ty, this is the thread that truly cares

"No happy-ending massages over here!" is a safe and discrete relabel for embarrassing medical/legal/social obligation locations. Or you could make every saved address just whatever's across the street from the real one, it's pretty normal to have a standing appointment with a doctor at the shady McDonald's each month. Just keep it within the error tolerance for A-GPS or GLONASS or whatever your phone uses, and you're golden.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
What third-party twitter client sucks the least these days?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

grassy gnoll posted:

What third-party twitter client sucks the least these days?

I like flamingo but haven't done any comparison in a while. They update regularly though so no worries about getting all the characters.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm curious if I should try 3rd party twitter apps, I've only used the official one so I'm not sure what features I'm missing out on.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Eh, depends. I use it as a way to avoid looking at Twitter's suggested content and ads more than anything. If you've got multiple accounts to manage, it can be pretty handy. The API doesn't give third-parties access to moments and polls, if that's a big deal for you.

I'm currently using Fenix 1, but the dev is holding 280 characters for the new version, so I'm shopping around before I upgrade. Also, new version's pretty fugly, but that seems to be the case with any given Twitter client.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm curious if I should try 3rd party twitter apps, I've only used the official one so I'm not sure what features I'm missing out on.

I assume third-party Android apps are similar to iOS ones in that they offer ad-blocking, a proper chronological timeline, multiple accounts, dark themes, and various other things the official app doesn't. Pretty much all you lose out on at this point is polls.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I don't use moments or polls so that sounds good to me! I've heard of that Fenix one before.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

CLAM DOWN posted:

The only reason I use one (Flamingo currently) is to view my timeline in chronological order and to save my place in the timeline. The official app sometimes does the latter but it's always been terribly inconsistent for me when I've tried it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I use Fenix (V2). I like it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Are there any 3rd party apps that work with threads?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Flamingo is really good. Smooth, pretty, and every feature I could want.

Skarsnik posted:

Are there any 3rd party apps that work with threads?

Flamingo does. I used to use Fenix and it did not handle them correctly at all. Can't speak for V2 because I never used it.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Does any twitter app in particular handle multiple accounts better than another?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone know of a good fingerprint scanner gesture app for the Pixel 2?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Taffer posted:

Flamingo is really good. Smooth, pretty, and every feature I could want.

Flamingo does. I used to use Fenix and it did not handle them correctly at all. Can't speak for V2 because I never used it.

Cool thanks, I'll give it a go

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Anyone using BeyondPod here? The recent update wiped out my settings (awesome, that), and now it won't pause when I get a notification. Mostly not a problem, except when I'm using Maps for navigation as well. I've unchecked and rechecked the applicable setting, but it didn't fix the problem. Any similar experience? I might just switch back to PocketCasts if they don't fix this soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Update? I'm on 4.2.16 and it's not updated since 2016.