Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Cyborg: You didn't want them to see the monster.
Dad: Victor, you're not a monster.
Borg: Funny how you think I mean me.

I can't get over how much I thought Cyborg was completely bland in every trailer and Aquabro looked so cool, only for the movie to do the exact opposite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

All of Aquaman's "yeehaws" sounded like they were hastily dubbed in.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

If they really were thinking ahead on introducing the New God's they would have taken a page from Young Justice and had Glorious Godfrey as your Fox News type pundit sewing xenophobia, advocating aggressive policies, real softening people up for a Steppenwolf invasion, and or already bringing things in from Apokolips, maybe involve Intergang since they're always using that tech. Actually set things up from MoS through BeviS. That way you had hints and clues strewn about the past movies, instead of that poo poo communion scene you would have Godfrey talking with Luthor in his Devil's Advocate fireplace promising things and poo poo.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

If the GL movie gets made, it will have a better villain than Peter Skarsgard in a wheelchair.

That sounds like a really confident statement a few days after the GL movie featured "CGI thing I keep confusing for a Canadian rock band from the 60's" as a villain.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's apparently German for "wolf of the steppe", or coyote.

Why does German have a word for coyote? Aren't they limited to North America?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Wheat Loaf posted:

If you want the right tone for a Shazam movie, get the Wachowskis and tell them, "Remember Speed Racer? We need you to do that."

I'm sad that this isn't going to happen now.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Bruceski posted:

Why does German have a word for coyote? Aren't they limited to North America?

German has words for all sorts of animals that aren't native to Germany, that's how languages work.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

rantmo posted:

German has words for all sorts of animals that aren't native to Germany, that's how languages work.

Good point. I guess they've had a few hundred years to come up with one.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Bruceski posted:

Good point. I guess they've had a few hundred years to come up with one.

The German word for hippopotamus is one of my many favorites (of non-Germanic animals at least) Nilpferd which means "Nile horse."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Is the GL film an official part of the DCEU? If it is (even though I don't remember a loving thing about it), it seems like a good springboard to moving on to Jon, Kyle or Guy and a soft reboot.

How in the hell you gently caress up a Green Lantern movie (or worse make it boring) is simply beyond me. Then again I've said the same about Fantastic Four and they've had 4 shots at that.

I can see how some characters are hard to make entertaining or translate but GL certainly isn't one of them. The only real obstacle to doing an adaptation used to be the effects technology available but that's no longer an excuse.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

rantmo posted:

The German word for hippopotamus is one of my many favorites (of non-Germanic animals at least) Nilpferd which means "Nile horse."

If I remember right hippopotamus already means waterhorse in Greek.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

GL is a dumb character. Of course it's easy to gently caress up.

What's your power? EVERYTHING MAN

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

GL is a dumb character. Of course it's easy to gently caress up.

What's your power? EVERYTHING MAN

Superman is literally the bedrock of the DCEU.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Superman is limited to a pretty set list of physical things here can do. Green Lantern can just do whatever the gently caress he wants.

He can just have five Superman surrounding him at all times

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Is it true that the Jack Black GL movie would've ended with him just making a Superman construct to fix everything

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I... actually kinda liked Justice League. It was definitely the bottom of the superhero movies I saw this year but like still better than, say, the first two Iron Man or Thor movies.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Superman is limited to a pretty set list of physical things here can do. Green Lantern can just do whatever the gently caress he wants.

It's at least been toned down to whatever he wants that's a physical object. So none of them will have heat vision (but they can have green construct vision punchbeams) or x-ray vision.

He used to be able to make kryptonite that worked, just because it's green.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

And then his ring runs out of power because he wasted it all and he gets his rear end beat.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Can he modify his physiology to think and act as quickly as a speedster or Superman? Could Green Lantern actually command a construct Superman to go light-speed?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

AngryBooch posted:

Can he modify his physiology to think and act as quickly as a speedster or Superman? Could Green Lantern actually command a construct Superman to go light-speed?

He makes and pilots green planes and space ships that can fly at light speed, right?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Martian Manhunter is the one who can do everything.

I would love to see him in a movie but no one will ever use him. The DCEU could use more people of color though.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Not in the comics, especially the Silver Age, where Superman could quite literally Do Anything?

And if your argument is that they reinterpreted the character and reduced his power set in the movie universe...that's the point? They're obviously not gonna make Green Lantern a superhero that can Do Anything with his ring (although apparently they made JL Superman effortlessly overpowerful again, so maybe they're dumb enough to do so), they're obviously gonna limit his powers. Never mind GL's actual in-comic weaknesses (having to rely on Will and constructs failing if they lose faith/larger and more complicated constructs requiring more will and focus, getting their power from that main Lantern source in space that can and does go out, the rings running out of power, restrictions on what they can do from the Lantern Corps/the people who run it, other Lanterns...)

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 21, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

purple death ray posted:

He makes and pilots green planes and space ships that can fly at light speed, right?
It's like a spaceship going into hyperspace. The Millennial Falcon don't usually fly around at the speed of light, it has to actively switch on that mode, and it can't do it indefinitely. That's more or less how a GL Ring would work.

More pertinently, all their constructs only react at the speeds that the Lanterns themselves can mentally will them to react, and no GL has ever been able to react at superspeed. So yea I don't know where this "they can do anything!" spiel comes from; there's lots of things they can't do if you think about it.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

purple death ray posted:

Piloting a space ship at light speed through empty space doesn't require thinking at light speed though. Like, say I have a power ring, but a real Superman could punch me in the face and knock me out before I formed the thought and sent a signal to my arm to raise a power ring because my nerve impulses "only" travel at 250 miles per hour. While Superman's are able to function at 671 million miles per hour meaning Superman theoretically has reflexes 2.7 million times faster than me.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah, GL has always been a hero themed around the triumph of the self (in the sense of Will being a literal force they have to harness to use their rings, setting aside their fears and self-esteem issues), their insane overpowered moments have always been pretty few and far between. Saying that GL can "Do Anything", especially in comparison to Superman, who even up to the mid 2000s (never mind anything he did pre-Crisis) had bouts in the comics where they had no idea what his actual power levels were and they fluctuated pretty rapidly, especially during Electric Blue era, is pretty disingenuous. Never mind that GL being part of a corps, often sharing their powers with multiple active GLs at once meant their power source was lessened as a whole and they were literally Space Cops who had a bunch of bureaucracy and oversight over what they were allowed to do, never mind if they could do it. Which itself is a giant ask. And this is, again, even before Johns implemented the alternate Lantern Corps/Lantern Corps Wars where the GLs have to fight evil versions of themselves without their restrictions or easier activation requirements (like Red Lanterns being powered off of Fury, for instance).

There's a loving ton of limits on GL powers already.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Silver Age Green Lantern could keep up with Flash, but the Silver Age was dumb about powers anyway.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So I am currently watching the credits of JL, it's forgettable garbage littered with "JEEEZZUS WHATS WRONG WIITH YOUR FACE" moments of Superman, bad ADR, and what the hell was up with Ezra's running when fully shown? It's like they told him to mimic ice skating but really badly.

This felt like a movie that was essentially DOA one way or another. If Snyder hadn't departed it would have been butchered somehow in editing, but instead it was made bi polar, but not to the degree Suicide Squad was. Kind of feels like they brought Whedon in on purpose in order to be the focus of the inevitable blame that it was going to bring about.

Isn't Ratpac Bret Ratner's production company by the way?

Also a production company called Cruel and Unusual helped make this movie I find that fitting.

ITS THE CREDITS AND LIGHTS ARE UP! :mad:

Jiro fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 21, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Don't take your phone out in a theater, jerk!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Flash definitely had his running look like speed skating, which I actually thought was pretty cool.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

BrianWilly posted:

It's like a spaceship going into hyperspace. The Millennial Falcon don't usually fly around at the speed of light, it has to actively switch on that mode, and it can't do it indefinitely. That's more or less how a GL Ring would work.

More pertinently, all their constructs only react at the speeds that the Lanterns themselves can mentally will them to react, and no GL has ever been able to react at superspeed. So yea I don't know where this "they can do anything!" spiel comes from; there's lots of things they can't do if you think about it.

“How the Millennial Falcon is killing the Kessel Run Industry”

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ror posted:

Martian Manhunter is the one who can do everything.

I would love to see him in a movie but no one will ever use him. The DCEU could use more people of color though.

Using a shapeshifting alien is kind of cheating at the people of color thing, though.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Little Mac posted:

I... actually kinda liked Justice League. It was definitely the bottom of the superhero movies I saw this year but like still better than, say, the first two Iron Man or Thor movies.

No way in hell is Justice League better than Iron Man. No loving way.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Codependent Poster posted:

Sorry, meant just Iron Man 2.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Honestly, the real problem with Green Lantern for me is how so many of his stories climax with him willpowering harder until the problem is solved.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Codependent Poster posted:

No way is it better than Thor, if it's at the bottom of the pack. Thor is some quality stuff, baby.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Question about JL: you know how a while ago J. K. Simmons posted those pictures of himself in the gym and he was incredibly jacked and they said he was getting in shape for Justice League? Does he have anything physical to do in the movie?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Phylodox posted:

No way is it better than Thor, if it's at the bottom of the pack. Thor is some quality stuff, baby.

Thor 2 is at the bottom of the Marvel movies for me. I forgot about that movie while I was watching it. The weird portal fight was the only thing about it I remember.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Thor 2 is at the bottom of the Marvel movies for me. I forgot about that movie while I was watching it. The weird portal fight was the only thing about it I remember.

Iron Man 2 and Age of Ultron rank lower, easily. At least The Dark World had an awesome aesthetic and some good character moments.

Samuringa posted:

Mate, I know we're all very euphoric over how good Ragnarok was, but let's not forget how utterly mediocre Thor 1 & 2 were. They're the bottom of the barrel of the MCU.

Thor is the biz. :colbert:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Phylodox posted:

Mate, I know we're all very euphoric over how good Ragnarok was, but let's not forget how utterly mediocre Thor 1 & 2 were. They're the bottom of the barrel of the MCU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Wheat Loaf posted:

Question about JL: you know how a while ago J. K. Simmons posted those pictures of himself in the gym and he was incredibly jacked and they said he was getting in shape for Justice League? Does he have anything physical to do in the movie?

He actually said the exact opposite of that but everyone still assumed it was for the movie. He just wanted to get swole for swoles sake

• Locked thread