Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I haven't seen that new Orient Express movie but I've heard that Branagh has already started developing Death on the Nile - he's basically hit on a surefire formula for success; grow a ridiculous moustache; spend $50 million on a nice-looking by-the-numbers Poirot movie; finish up around $150 million or so; get all the grown-ups out to see it; repeat annually. Just like Sir Peter Ustinov did in the 80s.

Looking forward to the Great Detectives Shared Cinematic Universe where he meets Nero Wolfe as portrayed by John Goodman (no joke: I would pay to see that movie), the Ian McKellan version of Sherlock Holmes from Mr Holmes and Jon Hamm as Mike Hammer.
Hell throw Batman and both Downey and Cumberbatch Holmes' in there and you have the perfect team up movie.

EDIT: New page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

David D. Davidson posted:

Hell throw Batman and both Downey and Cumberbatch Holmes' in there and you have the perfect team up movie.

EDIT: New page.

Maggie Smith as Miss Marple. :colbert:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Angela Lansbury seems to be doing fine for 92 so you could probably put her in too as Jessica Fletcher while you're at it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Okay, but who's Archie Goodwin?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So the league of extraordinary gentlemen meets classic detectives? Throw in Columbo and I'm there.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Wheat Loaf posted:

Angela Lansbury seems to be doing fine for 92 so you could probably put her in too as Jessica Fletcher while you're at it.

As the killer?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The secret of murder she wrote was that she was always the killer

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Wheat Loaf posted:

I haven't seen that new Orient Express movie but I've heard that Branagh has already started developing Death on the Nile - he's basically hit on a surefire formula for success; grow a ridiculous moustache; spend $50 million on a nice-looking by-the-numbers Poirot movie; finish up around $150 million or so; get all the grown-ups out to see it; repeat annually. Just like Sir Peter Ustinov did in the 80s.

Looking forward to the Great Detectives Shared Cinematic Universe where he meets Nero Wolfe as portrayed by John Goodman (no joke: I would pay to see that movie), the Ian McKellan version of Sherlock Holmes from Mr Holmes and Jon Hamm as Mike Hammer.

This but so unironically that it might have gone back over to sarcasm.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, frankly, I love classic detection.

Who could we get as John Appleby or <checks list of classic detectives> Lord Peter Wimsey?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/THROnline/status/932768761291198464?s=17

They blew it up

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

I don’t think so, Tim.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

cool take tweet

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Woah, a rickroll!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Its been like 5 years since i legit fell for a rickroll, it was fun again.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's a pretty good one. You wouldn't expect it from THR

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The fact that I read that and actually didn't question it for a second before I noticed no blue check is sad.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No way they would not make WW2 though.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Who's going to play Nick and Nora Charles?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I actually think that the failure of Justice League makes a Flashpoint film more likely than not, because now a near-total universe reboot isn't just a quirky idea to toss around anymore to fish for convention press, but practically something of a necessity if you want this franchise reinvigorated at all.

That said, I am looking forward to Aquaman and Shazam.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Well the Flash movie was already announced to be Flashpoint so

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah it was "announced," but it had no writer or director or release date attached, and the [completely unsubstantiated] rumor buzz was that WB were waiting to see how Justice League performed before committing to it. The impression seems to be that many DC projects, including Flashpoint, might be backburnt if JL doesn't do well enough, but I think JL sinking so hard might have the opposite effect on Flashpoint at least.

Of course, it all ultimately ends up being in the hands of studio execs, who admittedly don't usually make very informed choices about these things.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I haven't seen Justice League yet, but if DCEU were to introduce a Green Lantern, who should it be? Hal has the previous GL movie baggage (and would probably need to be recast). I think it should be Guy, or even Simon AND Jessica (how are they doing, comics-wise? do they have fans?).

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It'll be Hal. Johns still has pull over there.

It SHOULD be Stewart though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Schneider Heim posted:

I haven't seen Justice League yet, but if DCEU were to introduce a Green Lantern, who should it be? Hal has the previous GL movie baggage (and would probably need to be recast). I think it should be Guy, or even Simon AND Jessica (how are they doing, comics-wise? do they have fans?).

DC's said the plan is for a Green Lantern Corps movie with Hal, Stewart, and Guy.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Cythereal posted:

DC's said the plan is for a Green Lantern Corps movie with Hal, Stewart, and Guy.

Hal Jordan is even lamer than Barry Allen.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Retro Futurist posted:

It'll be Hal. Johns still has pull over there.

It SHOULD be Stewart though.

Exactly this. I'm curious who else they'll add. Martian Manhunter? One of the Hawks? The Crimson Avenger?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

BrianWilly posted:

I actually think that the failure of Justice League makes a Flashpoint film more likely than not, because now a near-total universe reboot isn't just a quirky idea to toss around anymore to fish for convention press, but practically something of a necessity if you want this franchise reinvigorated at all.

Just loving make good movies, don't worry about the goddamn overarching continuity between them. Christ it's not that hard.

*Ron Washington voice* it's incredibly hard

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Cythereal posted:

Lol Kyle's always the one getting left out

I hope it has tons of non-human Lanterns, and especially Sinestro.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gavok posted:

Who's going to play Nick and Nora Charles?

Michael Cera and Kat Dennings.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
And who do we get for Phillip Marlowe?

Actually wait, Josh Brolin?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If the GL movie gets made, it will have a better villain than Peter Skarsgard in a wheelchair. How about some Red Lanterns?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think if they do a GL movie, they'd be best not to go for an origin and start off with Sinestro already as the villain.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They already made a gl movie tho :v

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

BrianWilly posted:

That said, I am looking forward to Aquaman and Shazam.

I'm really curious to see what tone they take with Shazam. There's a ton of incredibly campy and goofy poo poo in the comics that will be really hard to play straight. If they frame it as a child's power fantasy with a few crazy elements - like a tiger that can sort of speak and a worm that can kind of think - I can see them pulling it off.

Maybe the tiger can say a few words and seems to hint at higher intelligence and then weird poo poo always seems to happen when the worm is around; stuff like that. I suppose they could just go full on camp and Adam West it up which could be fun too.

Gonna be a hard film to nail.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why would you not go whole hog? The tiger should speak fluently and be voiced by Kelsey Grammar

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If you want the right tone for a Shazam movie, get the Wachowskis and tell them, "Remember Speed Racer? We need you to do that."

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Mister Tawky Tawny should be Common in tiger makeup.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wheat Loaf posted:

If you want the right tone for a Shazam movie, get the Wachowskis and tell them, "Remember Speed Racer? We need you to do that."

The world isn’t ready for another movie as good as Speed Racer.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

BiggerBoat posted:

Well, DC started with Zod. Then made Batman a villain along with Lex, gave us Ares in a movie largely independent of the other films, rushed into gathering everyone to team up and battle...Steppenwolf. Yeah, I don't get it either.

I have no idea what DC is trying to do.

You could "shoot your load" with Darkseid, show all these characters doing what they do and make solo movies that work backwards/sideways or whatever. They're just...kind of randomly doing poo poo.
Surely there's some kind of middle ground between Steppenwolf and Darkseid.

Even then, if the villain is done right, does it really matter who it is? I mean, Ant-Man's villain technically isn't a villain in the comics (Yellowjacket, not Cross). He's still not overly compelling though, but is probably one of the weaker parts of the film. Conversely, even if the villain it poor, the film can still be good. Ares kind of sucked in WW because he's not revealed until the end, and then is mostly CG. Ronan was kind of uninteresting and not very well developed in GOTG also. Those films all have somewhat weak villains, but have enough to elevate themselves above other films.

I ended up skipping BvS in the cinema, partly because of the poor word of mouth about it, but partly because I was just busy and away a lot when it came out. I'm hoping to go see JL this weekend though, despite the general lack of enthusiasm for it and the fact that I don't really like Snyder's films. It's me, I'm part of the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ojjeorago posted:

Mister Tawky Tawny should be Common in tiger makeup.

He looks exactly like Common and sounds exactly like Kelsey Grammar. He's one hell of a tiger

• Locked thread