Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Immanentized posted:

So are we going to send a ship full of autistics and vampires up at it to explore or what?

e: gently caress that was a Watts novel
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blindsight_(Watts_novel)

Fixed link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Soulex posted:

Transpermia

:golfclap: Nice.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Interstellar lawn darts/bocce ball, someone out there just pulled into the lead with the closest shot.

FE: it may also be curling

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
It’s the probe from Star Trek IV, gonna kill us all when it can’t find any Dodo birds to talk to.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Terrible Robot posted:

It’s the probe from Star Trek IV, gonna kill us all when it can’t find any Dodo birds to talk to.

No that's just the expected effects of global warming, not them asking for dodo birds/thylacines.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Protracted lurker here. Heads-up that here's a date for internet death.

quote:

FCC chief Ajit Pai, a Republican appointed by President Donald Trump in January, said the commission will vote at a Dec. 14 meeting on rescinding the so-called net neutrality rules championed by Democratic former President Barack Obama that treated internet service providers like public utilities.

“The FCC will no longer be in the business of micromanaging business models and preemptively prohibiting services and applications and products that could be pro-competitive,” Pai said in an interview, adding that the Obama administration had sought to pick winners and losers and exercised “heavy-handed” regulation of the internet.

Pai said state and local governments “need to be preempted” from imposing their own net neutrality rules because broadband internet service is “inherently an interstate service.” The preemption is most likely to handcuff Democratic-governed states and localities that could have considered their own plans to protect consumers’ equal access to internet content.

With the death of retail as more people rely on internet to get things this is probably going to get messy in a lot of areas, huh.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Erghh posted:

Protracted lurker here. Heads-up that here's a date for internet death.

With the death of retail as more people rely on internet to get things this is probably going to get messy in a lot of areas, huh.

First they took the bread, now they take the circuses.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

So, what's to stop states from classifying ISPs as utilities? I know people have talked about the interstate commerce clause, but power utilities and phone companies are regulated at the state level despite typically being owned by conglomerates that span multiple states.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

psydude posted:

So, what's to stop states from classifying ISPs as utilities? I know people have talked about the interstate commerce clause, but power utilities and phone companies are regulated at the state level despite typically being owned by conglomerates that span multiple states.

ISPs have more money than states

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Canemacar posted:

Oh you can still have the circuses, they just need to be Amazon Super Prime Plus Platinum circuses for only an additional $99.99 per month and any market competition will be nuked from orbit to destroy the idea of competing.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_nEzYwakrs

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Canemacar posted:

Rogue AI/robot rebellion can't come soon enough.

Would probably just be half-assed and dumb though given the way things work anymore...

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Pai is a giant piece of poo poo

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Immanentized posted:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/11/first-known-interstellar-visitor-is-a-bizarre-cigar-shaped-asteroid/

This is neat. Extra-solar dildo dropping by the outer planets. I'm stumped as to how something with that profile and shape could form in microgravity, any physics professionals able to puzzle that out?

Some bored pilots from the Proxima Centauri Navy.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

I honestly can't tell if he's a true small-c conservative believer, a cynical pol doing his best to win a cushy job post-chairmanship, or just a troll.

He might be all three which just makes me want to punch his smug face.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

Says the guy who licks ape pussy.

That border agent who got killed by illegals? Turns out he might have just fallen down a ravine.

AP source: Authorities believe border agent may have fallen: https://apnews.com/71e6e3c7b585492aaca297ffcc2eb232

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

BigDave posted:

That border agent who got killed by illegals? Turns out he might have just fallen down a ravine.

AP source: Authorities believe border agent may have fallen: https://apnews.com/71e6e3c7b585492aaca297ffcc2eb232

Hey man at least I get positive consent before loving people

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

Hey man at least I get positive consent before loving people

consent? Calling you out for not really being in the military with a statement like that..

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

BigDave posted:

lol his partner totally pushed him

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BigDave posted:

the whole suggestion they were attacked was fishy to begin with. border patrol agents ambushed near I-10 in van horn? the geography doesn't line up. there's nothing out there.

if he got a rock dropped on his head while near the fence in el paso, i'd believe that.

but he ain't in el paso.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 21, 2017

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Someone whose vote counts the same as yours posted:

Great dude ! You triggered the perverts at media chatters ! Dan Savages little boys in secret will be exposed eventually. Charlie the perv Rose exposed. Thrush at NYT exposed. We already know y'all love perverts and Billy Bob Clinton. Next to be exposed Wolfie boy at cnn. Billy boy Moyers at PBS. Chucky the snake Schumer. More communist perverts in Hollywood coming soon. And finally Nancy pussy licker Pelosi and the oval office she licks, Hillary the dyke Clinton. The Traitors Immoral Wall of Shame is just not being built, brick by brick. Obama and his masculine wife Michelle will soon be a part of this wall. Along with Bush number 1 and Johnny turncoat McCain for abusing those little Vietnamese girls when he was on leave. Him and his buddy Kerry were quite the cads. McCain lied about how he broke his arms. The father of one of the 12 year old Vietnamese girls he raped broke his arms !

What is the difference between the earnest political discourse of an idiot and a troll parody thereof? They are essentially the same act, with similar effects on internet political narratives. Real life needs mandatory sarcasm tags.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Turns out his partner was a wannabe seal.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

at the date posted:

Starting to feel like the Jeff Foxworthy of rape.

given everyone else in government hollywood and everywhere else being revealed as horrible sex predators im going to save some time and assume the jeff foxworthy of rape is just jeff foxworthy

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

What is the difference between the earnest political discourse of an idiot and a troll parody thereof? They are essentially the same act, with similar effects on internet political narratives. Real life needs mandatory sarcasm tags.

This is an era when Mother Night should be mandatory reading at an early level like 7th or 8th grade.

We are what we pretend to be so we must be careful what we pretend to be.

No quarter for ironic nazis.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Poe's Law

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

the whole suggestion they were attacked was fishy to begin with. border patrol agents ambushed near I-10 in van horn? the geography doesn't line up. there's nothing out there.

if he got a rock dropped on his head while near the fence in el paso, i'd believe that.

but he ain't in el paso.

Doesn’t matter. The story is already out there. Build the wall!

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I've flown to van horn a lot during my time working air ambulance and I feel as if I'm qualified to speak on behalf of border security

BUILD THAT WALL MAGA TRUMP 2060

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

but he ain't in el paso.

According to the article, both of them had massive tbi. The partner didn't remember anything. I'm guessing one fell while searching the culvert for drug drops, and the other fell trying to help.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The people paying him to do this are the pieces of poo poo. Everybody in this thread could probably be bought to do the same thing.

Keep shooting the messenger and nothing will ever change.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

boop the snoot posted:

The people paying him to do this are the pieces of poo poo. Everybody in this thread could probably be bought to do the same thing.

i pay taxes....i'm paying his salary....therefore....i'm a piece of poo poo. story checks out!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

boop the snoot posted:

Well, we haven't actually shot the messengers (to get an accurate sample size for scientific comparison.)

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

he should resign

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

boop the snoot posted:

Everyone can be bought, it's just gonna take a lot to get me. I'm too loving mad.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Please don't project your lack of values and integrity in the name of money onto everyone else tia

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

boop the snoot posted:

Idk I probably wouldn't take a position where an angry mob sodomized my predecessor to death in front of his wife and kids. The pay would have to be like mid 8 figures at least for me to face that sort of danger.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

my kinda ape posted:

Idk I probably wouldn't take a position where an angry mob sodomized my predecessor to death in front of his wife and kids. The pay would have to be like mid 8 figures at least for me to face that sort of danger.

50 bucks and a Miller high life.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Your Battle Buddy posted:

It was V'ger from the future

One of my favorite nerd jokes will always be the one that goes "what if it had been Pioneer instead of Voyager"

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

boop the snoot posted:

What about punching the messenger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

BigDave posted:

What about punching the messenger?

If he wasn't acting in such bad faith, it'd be easier to stomach. Any small-c conservative could do the same things he's doing.

But he's going about everything with such a flagrant disregard for everyone. He'll say one thing to the Senate committee, another thing to the press, and then either disregard his stated actions or ignore the result if it doesn't aid him (see: promises to respect the comments left with the FCC website, and then when those comments overwhelming went pro-neutrality but with some bot/form comments included, promising to conduct inquiries into said bot/form comments and then never following through).

gently caress Ajit Pai.

• Locked thread