Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Turkey is a NATO member who is also a JSF partner. They're planning to buy a lot of Grover's favorite airplane, a commitment that got them the very coveted spot of being the engine maintenance hub for the whole Europe+MENA region. But that was before Erdogan discovered that actually, he likes Moscow, Beijing and Tehran more than Washington. And notably he's buying a Russian air defense system.

So now people in the US are getting upset about the whole Turkey being a JSF partner deal. Here comes the threats:

https://www.defensenews.com/digital...into-nato-tech/

quote:

further action may be forthcoming that could affect the country’s acquisition or operation of the F-35, a top Air Force official said Wednesday.

Pundits are bringing some public pressure on the topic, too.
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/i...article/2641027

So Turkey retaliates to blackmail with more blackmail.
http://www.yenisafak.com/en/news/turkey-may-remove-us-radar-if-f-35s-not-delivered-on-schedule-2808663

quote:

In retaliation to the American blackmail, Ankara may take measures of its own in response, atop of which is the possible dismantling of the powerful Malatya- Kürecik AN-TPY-2 radar that was set up by the U.S. in 2012.

The Kürecik radar, which has been set up with the purpose of detecting any missile fired at Israel, is capable of spotting all types of flying objects or projectiles at high altitudes and at a maximum distance of 1,000 kilometers, which chiefly covers Iran, among other countries in the region.

As part of its agreements with NATO, Turkey has given permission for the deployment of the radar to its territory, much to the dismay of Russia and Iran, who expressed their sharp opposition to such a move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Count Roland posted:

Is there still an IS enclave bordering the Golan Heights?

Yup. They also still hold some territory in Damascus as far as I remember.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

So Turkey retaliates to blackmail with more blackmail.

Those sorts of escalating threats make Turkey leaving NATO seem a lot more plausible than it seemed even a year ago, and certainly than it seemed just a few years ago after Turkey shot down a Russian plane. I supported using the YPG as proxies against ISIS, but the way it's contributed a lot to a growing alliance between Turkey and Russia is obviously less than ideal, and this is where having some sort of exit strategy from Syria so we can try to reset our relations with an important country (even if it's ruled by a lovely dictator) might be helpful. I don't think Erdogan was ever going to be the dependable ally that Turkey's military dominated governments were, but giving him a shove into permanently joining the Russian camp seems unwise. If we work out some kind of negotiated framework between the SDF and Russia/Assad, the YPG stops being a problem for Turkish-American relations and either Turkey finds a way to live with the new status quo or it becomes a problem for Turkish-Russian relations.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 20, 2017

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Sinteres posted:

Those sorts of escalating threats make Turkey leaving NATO seem a lot more plausible than it seemed even a year ago, and certainly than it seemed just a few years ago after Turkey shot down a Russian plane. I supported using the YPG as proxies against ISIS, but the way it's contributed a lot to a growing alliance between Turkey and Russia is obviously less than ideal, and this is where having some sort of exit strategy from Syria so we can try to reset our relations with an important country (even if it's ruled by a lovely dictator) might be helpful. I don't think Erdogan was ever going to be the dependable ally that Turkey's military dominated governments were, but giving him a shove into permanently joining the Russian camp seems unwise. If we work out some kind of negotiated framework between the SDF and Russia/Assad, the YPG stops being a problem for Turkish-American relations and either Turkey finds a way to live with the new status quo or it becomes a problem for Turkish-Russian relations.

Experience so far has shown that appeasing Erdogan only gives him all the wrong ideas. I am also convinced that Putin secretly hates Erdogan and will happily throw him under the bus the moment a good opportunity comes along.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Sinteres posted:

I called it well over a year ago that Erdogan was going to move Turkey out of the Western camp and towards Russia because they won't give him any grief over his dictatorial style and maneuvering Turkey away from the West is enough of a reward for Iran and Russia. He is an incompetent and unreliable partner who has no intention of leaving office before he dies and is furious over his failure to become a regional power broker and, in no small part, he blames the United States. Both for failing to act decisively against Assad and acting decisively against ISIS through the Kurds. Erdogan's radical swings in his position are enough evidence of that fact to say nothing of how he turned Turkey into the closest thing ISIS had to a sponsor and ally. I agree with you that there is a narrow needle that we need to thread regarding the SDF, Syria and Turkey and hopefully the deescalates the situation but, even if that were to occur, I still see Turkey turning towards Moscow and Tehran. There is just too much momentum and little enough reason to stay with the West, especially with the weakened and chaotic state that is engulfing both the United States as well as the European Union.

This is not necessarily a bad thing if it is a necessary step towards removing our presence from the region and allowing the powers to sort out their own affairs.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Ikasuhito posted:

Yup. They also still hold some territory in Damascus as far as I remember.

How is the continued existence of this enclave justified? Bordering both Jordan and Israel gives ample opportunity to strike at them.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Brother Friendship posted:

This is not necessarily a bad thing if it is a necessary step towards removing our presence from the region and allowing the powers to sort out their own affairs.

Middle East sorting out their own affairs. I believe it when I see it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It'd help if we didn't keep prodding at things every few years.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I think a part of me seriously doubts there will ever be a permanent break with Turkey, the Bosphorus is simply too strategic as it has always been and "turning" Turkey would mean a major shift in the balance of power in the region. That said, I do think we need to admit at a certain point that Russia and China are both more than regional powers and are making major moves outside their "home" regions.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
To me, Russia has always wanted the Bosphorous straits. Like...since the last several centuries, if not a millenia. So Erdogan chumming up with Putin, to me, looks like his one-way ticket to a royal backstab in the long-term, if not the short-term, precisely because of how unreliable he has proven to be and how Russia would immediately start working on somehow nixing him from the picture altogether to make things more predictable.

I suppose it is possible his ego is so bloated that he doesn't see it coming and legitimately thinks he can be Russia's buddy, but I'd still be amazed if he completely ignores that very real possibility in the future, if he keeps distancing himself from NATO and/or Europe.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 20, 2017

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

CrazyLoon posted:

To me, Russia has always wanted the Bosphorous straits. Like...since the last several centuries, if not a millenia. So Erdogan chumming up with Putin, to me, looks like his one-way ticket to a royal backstab in the long-term, if not the short-term, precisely because of how unreliable he has proven to be and how Russia would immediately start working on somehow nixing him from the picture altogether to make things more predictable.

I suppose it is possible his ego is so bloated that he doesn't see it coming and legitimately thinks he can be Russia's buddy, but I'd still be amazed if he completely ignores that very real possibility in the future, if he keeps distancing himself from NATO and/or Europe.

Turkey's a regional power, not just a scrub tier country Russia could easily subvert if they left NATO. They'd always have plenty of options to realign back to the West if they needed to, and would be impossible to absorb in any case (they have over half the population of Russia, higher GDP per capita (!) and a different religion), so I don't think they have anything to worry about. I mean Iran has been a problem for the US since 1979 and we've never done anything about them, and Turkey's more powerful than Iran, while Russia is less powerful than the US.

Just having Turkey as an ally effectively gives Russia what they've always wanted in a strategic sense, at least in the modern version in which you can't just conquer countries because you feel like it. Even their interventions in Georgia and Ukraine have been pretty limited by historic standards, and only stand out now because Europe is otherwise at peace.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 20, 2017

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

A good piece here looking at what happens next with accountability around Syrian chemical weapon use (not much for now):
http://www.irinnews.org/analysis/2017/11/20/russia-has-finished-un-s-syria-chemical-attack-probe-what-now

coathat
May 21, 2007

More than 50,000 Yemeni children expected to die by the end of the year.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Sinteres posted:

Turkey's a regional power, not just a scrub tier country Russia could easily subvert if they left NATO. They'd always have plenty of options to realign back to the West if they needed to, and would be impossible to absorb in any case (they have over half the population of Russia, higher GDP per capita (!) and a different religion), so I don't think they have anything to worry about. I mean Iran has been a problem for the US since 1979 and we've never done anything about them, and Turkey's more powerful than Iran, while Russia is less powerful than the US.

Just having Turkey as an ally effectively gives Russia what they've always wanted in a strategic sense, at least in the modern version in which you can't just conquer countries because you feel like it. Even their interventions in Georgia and Ukraine have been pretty limited by historic standards, and only stand out now because Europe is otherwise at peace.

When was the last time Turkey and Russia were on the same side? Has it ever actually happened before?

It's sort of morbidly fascinating that while this massive shift in alignment is occuring, we also have Saudi Arabia flailing about in Yemen and Qatar and Lebanon and making enemies of numerous wealthy, well-connected men. It's unbelievable how unstable everything has become over the last decade.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
oh good

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Tree Bucket posted:

When was the last time Turkey and Russia were on the same side? Has it ever actually happened before?

It's sort of morbidly fascinating that while this massive shift in alignment is occuring, we also have Saudi Arabia flailing about in Yemen and Qatar and Lebanon and making enemies of numerous wealthy, well-connected men. It's unbelievable how unstable everything has become over the last decade.

I think Russia occasionally helped the Ottomans* during the 18th/19th century, but only to keep Austria-Hungary from growing too powerful. Simultaneously Russia tried to take over as much Ottoman lands as they could so it was more "I'll help you defend this from the Austrian so I can take it for myself later".

*I'm aware that the Ottoman empire and modern-day Turkey aren't the same, but since no-one's told Erdogan I feel it's worth mentioning.

double nine fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 21, 2017

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

New suggested thread title:

Middle East Thread of Eternal Despair - Who's the Suze?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tree Bucket posted:

Poland getting obliterated by an Austria-Russia-Prussia triple team was a pretty good Ottoman use of a monkey's paw.

also the Seljuks and Russians both opposed the Mongols, one with more success than the other

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

coathat posted:

At this point I can't imagine that Saudi Arabia's aim is anything less than a complete famine along the lines of those seen in the 18th and 19th century throughout India and Asia. We're talking about the complete collapse of society and there is nothing that the United States is going to do about it, especially with Trump! in charge. I'm not sure if any famine from the 20th or 21st century will compare to it.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Brother Friendship posted:

At this point I can't imagine that Saudi Arabia's aim is anything less than a complete famine along the lines of those seen in the 18th and 19th century throughout India and Asia. We're talking about the complete collapse of society and there is nothing that the United States is going to do about it, especially with Trump! in charge. I'm not sure if any famine from the 20th or 21st century will compare to it.

i mean there's the biafran famine from 1968-70. millions dead. that's actually a great comparison because britain sent massive amounts of arms to the nigerian army, helping their blockade starve the igbo. much like the US is doing with saudi arabia now.

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

The cops want to search the train

Sinteres posted:

I do not believe that Turkey will not end up leaving NATO anytime soon. Turkey's position with respect to all of its neighbors is precarious, and it would be especially dangerous to the occupation of Northern Cyprus and Aegean disputes. Turkey with no NATO behind it would have to face off against Greece, which could be backed by the rest of the organization this time.

That being said, the Reza Zarrab investigation is really causing the AKP to poo poo itself, and seems to me that it will have major impact. The economy's already poo poo, and sanctions/large penalties would surely do even more damage. It doesn't help it when Turkey does stuff like opening an investigation into former prosecutor on the case Preet Bharara. It's funny how little Turkey will do for some of its citizens jailed abroad indefinitely, but suddenly the manchild Zarrab, an Iranian national who got citizenship just a few years ago, must be protected at all costs.

I think it's possible that Turkey might try to negotiate with the U.S. on Zarrab by offering military support for any adventures that might happen in the next few years, cause money is extremely tight right now.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
What even is the deal, really, with the ongoing Northern Cyprus thing anyway? Is Turkey really benefiting from that anymore?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/DavidKenner/status/932562722834788352

So what's the current standings?

Saudi Arabia and Israel, probably back with US arms and support against Qatar, Lebanon, and Yemen and all backed by Iran? I guess Palestine might get involved too?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I have a hard time believing Jordan would just sit a top-billing regional war out. I'd assume that they'd be on the Israel/Saudi side though.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

coathat posted:

That's many times more than the entire death toll of the Yemen war up to this point, so nah. I tend to think it's better to err on the side of the sensational rather than the dismissive when it comes to impending human rights disasters, but the problem with that is that someone will eventually hold up reports like this one that end up being wrong in numbers as evidence of biased reporting, and use it to argue that all news about the humanitarian situation in Yemen is sensationalized. That's what happened in Aleppo.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Volkerball posted:

That's many times more than the entire death toll of the Yemen war up to this point, so nah. I tend to think it's better to err on the side of the sensational rather than the dismissive when it comes to impending human rights disasters, but the problem with that is that someone will eventually hold up reports like this one that end up being wrong in numbers as evidence of biased reporting, and use it to argue that all news about the humanitarian situation in Yemen is sensationalized. That's what happened in Aleppo.

Even as someone who's been frustrated with US complicity in the devastation in Yemen being ignored by the media, it does seem like we've been reading headlines about impending starvation for Yemen for well over a year now. I do believe the situation continues to worsen, so maybe people will suddenly fall over the line between near starvation into actually starving to death, and more credible sources seem to be speaking up about a famine this time, but yeah some caution is warranted in assumptions about the death toll. Of course getting lulled into complacency is how a ton of people could end up dying while nobody pays attention, but the sensational headlines over the last year don't seem to have really made anyone care anyway, so :shrug:.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Well, it's much easier to speculate than confirm in war zones. It can take a decade or two post war to start getting reliable civilian mortality numbers and even then you have to figure out how to compare them with the "baseline" numbers for famine and disease. Since it's never going to be possible to know exactly how bad things will get, erring on the side of not doing things that could cause humanitarian disasters is probably a good idea.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Volkerball posted:

This is a loving stupid argument, holy poo poo dude.

50,000 Yemeni children are dying due to acute malnutrition and 7m people are in a famine, but you don’t think people will die when food imports are completely blockaded?

‘Because only 16,000 Yemeni civilians have been murdered so far, completely shutting down all food imports wont kill tens of thousands of people that are already on the brink of starvation’ is such a farcical argument that I hope for your sake you’re just being purposely disingenuous and you’re not actually this retarded.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

A Typical Goon posted:

This is a loving stupid argument, holy poo poo dude.

50,000 Yemeni children are dying due to acute malnutrition and 7m people are in a famine, but you don’t think people will die when food imports are completely blockaded?

‘Because only 16,000 Yemeni civilians have been murdered so far, completely shutting down all food imports wont kill tens of thousands of people that are already on the brink of starvation’ is such a farcical argument that I hope for your sake you’re just being purposely disingenuous and you’re not actually this retarded.

No, its a good point he's making.

Yemen has been on the "brink" for years now. And indeed the situation there is terrible. But 50 000 is a predicted number. And given how little information is available from inside Yemen, such predictions aren't really worth much.

I'd love to see more coverage of Yemen, and most certainly more pressure on those conducting the blockade/invasion. Making up numbers is not a good tactic for this though.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Lets not make predictions and in fact just kill more. I’m sure the 600000 with cholera will be doing fine.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Saying the numbers are made up isn't fair, but they should be taken with a grain of salt if for no other reason than because people seem to be able to find a way to survive in far worse conditions than we tend to expect. The death toll falling short of estimates shouldn't discredit people trying to point out that a real crisis exists in the country, and that crisis is being worsened with US assistance, but sensational headlines predicting absolute catastrophe that fails to materialize do tend to foster a sense of complacency going forward. The reality is that nobody gives a poo poo anyway since there's no significant interest group in the US that's pushed back against our role in that pointlessly gruesome conflict, so people trying to draw attention to the crisis are in a tough spot, especially because underestimating the scope of a crisis also has consequences.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Sinteres posted:

Saying the numbers are made up isn't fair, but they should be taken with a grain of salt if for no other reason than because people seem to be able to find a way to survive in far worse conditions than we tend to expect. The death toll falling short of estimates shouldn't discredit people trying to point out that a real crisis exists in the country, and that crisis is being worsened with US assistance, but sensational headlines predicting absolute catastrophe that fails to materialize do tend to foster a sense of complacency going forward. The reality is that nobody gives a poo poo anyway since there's no significant interest group in the US that's pushed back against our role in that pointlessly gruesome conflict, so people trying to draw attention to the crisis are in a tough spot, especially because underestimating the scope of a crisis also has consequences.

Calculating deaths from famines is notoriously difficult and you may indeed have thousands of people still alive but may soon die from secondary infections. that may or may not show up in statistics. By all, accounts the famine in Yemen is massive and the devastation is already happening.

The 50,000 number was indicated by an NGO, and we may never actually know that number comes to fruition or not. That said, in other historical circumstances (India, Ukraine) very rarely are verified deaths recorded, but rather some estimate is done on total causalities. In the end, the verified deaths may be "surprisingly low" but in reality, the costs may be much higher than that.

Count Roland posted:

No, its a good point he's making.

Yemen has been on the "brink" for years now. And indeed the situation there is terrible. But 50 000 is a predicted number. And given how little information is available from inside Yemen, such predictions aren't really worth much.

I'd love to see more coverage of Yemen, and most certainly more pressure on those conducting the blockade/invasion. Making up numbers is not a good tactic for this though.

The NGO that came out with the numbers has workers in Yemen, and those numbers are only referring to children, not the total causalities. I think you need to provide some evidence that the "numbers are made up."

Btw, 130 children dying a day is the current baseline estimate.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 21, 2017

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sinteres posted:

Even as someone who's been frustrated with US complicity in the devastation in Yemen being ignored by the media, it does seem like we've been reading headlines about impending starvation for Yemen for well over a year now. I do believe the situation continues to worsen, so maybe people will suddenly fall over the line between near starvation into actually starving to death, and more credible sources seem to be speaking up about a famine this time, but yeah some caution is warranted in assumptions about the death toll. Of course getting lulled into complacency is how a ton of people could end up dying while nobody pays attention, but the sensational headlines over the last year don't seem to have really made anyone care anyway, so :shrug:.

There's a lot of things that play into it. A lack of on the ground English reporting with access to the victims, lots of bullshit floating around, and few journalists with the knowledge to sort out the facts from the bullshit. I remember when I first started researching trying to find accounts from your every day Syrian activist, it was really easy. In Yemen, it's been 10 times harder. The most prominent one was Hisham al-Omeisy, and now he's gone, so I barely know anyone. There's also a lack of footage, which doesn't help create exposure. So what you're left with is a handful of humanitarian NGO's and the combatants themselves to give accounts. The NGO's do a decent job, but at the end of the day, they are advocates making emotional appeals, not journalists trying to inform. It's not a big deal for them to overstate a crisis. All that matters is whether they are able to make an impact on the crisis by bringing it into the public conscience and/or obtaining and providing aid. That's their purpose.

A year or so ago, there were reports that x hundred thousand people under Houthi siege in Taiz didn't have any access to aid, and would begin to die very soon. The UN even got involved in calling for action. At the end, aid was allowed to go through, and the humanitarian situation I guess improved enough so that all those people didn't end up dying. It's a situation where I would say the system worked, but I think for more casual followers, what they would've seen is "100,000 people are going to die soon, 100,000 people are going to die soon," then a year passed and relatively speaking, nothing happened. Or, they may just think that those hundred thousand people did die, and have a really warped perspective on Yemen.

There's also another thing I believe is happening, where western journalists simply don't know how to read through the lines of the reports from actors in Yemen. I bet at some point, there's been a Saudi-backed article that talked up some horrific Houthi siege and humanitarian disaster, then a Westerner stumbled across it and thought god, this is horrible, and this whole situation is Saudi Arabia's fault. Then he writes an article about how KSA is creating this humanitarian disaster, and by the time we see it, what the hell are even supposed to do with it. It's just layers of bullshit at that point. The reporting on the subject just seems really weak and the truth is hard to pick out. I'd bet money the UN counter is still going to be well below 10,000 total civilian deaths by the end of the year though, just based on the trends. For people to start dying en masse now would be a huge aberration that would require a massive change imo. Here's hoping at least.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Ardennes posted:

Calculating deaths from famines is notoriously difficult and you may indeed have thousands of people still alive but may soon die from secondary infections. that may or may not show up in statistics. By all, accounts the famine in Yemen is massive and the devastation is already happening.

The 50,000 number was indicated by an NGO, and we may never actually know that number comes to fruition or not. That said, in other historical circumstances (India, Ukraine) very rarely are verified deaths recorded, but rather some estimate is done on total causalities. In the end, the verified deaths may be "surprisingly low" but in reality, the costs may be much higher than that.

The NGO that came out with the numbers has workers in Yemen, and those numbers are only referring to children, not the total causalities. I think you need to provide some evidence that the "numbers are made up."

Btw, 130 children dying a day is the current baseline estimate.

I mean they're made up in that they're predictions, which the actual result may or may not bear any resemblance too. Its arguing semantics I know, but when involving numbers I want to be sure about them.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

coathat posted:

Lets not make predictions and in fact just kill more. I’m sure the 600000 with cholera will be doing fine.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Volkerball posted:

There's a lot of things that play into it. A lack of on the ground English reporting with access to the victims, lots of bullshit floating around, and few journalists with the knowledge to sort out the facts from the bullshit. I remember when I first started researching trying to find accounts from your every day Syrian activist, it was really easy. In Yemen, it's been 10 times harder. The most prominent one was Hisham al-Omeisy, and now he's gone, so I barely know anyone. There's also a lack of footage, which doesn't help create exposure. So what you're left with is a handful of humanitarian NGO's and the combatants themselves to give accounts. The NGO's do a decent job, but at the end of the day, they are advocates making emotional appeals, not journalists trying to inform. It's not a big deal for them to overstate a crisis. All that matters is whether they are able to make an impact on the crisis by bringing it into the public conscience and/or obtaining and providing aid. That's their purpose.

A year or so ago, there were reports that x hundred thousand people under Houthi siege in Taiz didn't have any access to aid, and would begin to die very soon. The UN even got involved in calling for action. At the end, aid was allowed to go through, and the humanitarian situation I guess improved enough so that all those people didn't end up dying. It's a situation where I would say the system worked, but I think for more casual followers, what they would've seen is "100,000 people are going to die soon, 100,000 people are going to die soon," then a year passed and relatively speaking, nothing happened. Or, they may just think that those hundred thousand people did die, and have a really warped perspective on Yemen.

There's also another thing I believe is happening, where western journalists simply don't know how to read through the lines of the reports from actors in Yemen. I bet at some point, there's been a Saudi-backed article that talked up some horrific Houthi siege and humanitarian disaster, then a Westerner stumbled across it and thought god, this is horrible, and this whole situation is Saudi Arabia's fault. Then he writes an article about how KSA is creating this humanitarian disaster, and by the time we see it, what the hell are even supposed to do with it. It's just layers of bullshit at that point. The reporting on the subject just seems really weak and the truth is hard to pick out. I'd bet money the UN counter is still going to be well below 10,000 total civilian deaths by the end of the year though, just based on the trends. For people to start dying en masse now would be a huge aberration that would require a massive change imo. Here's hoping at least.

This, but for all the fighting in MENA since 2001 and not just in Yemen post-2015.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
The nearly instantaneous code-switching between Reasonable and Nuanced Discourse and histrionic performative breast-tearing--and please don't think I'm singling anyone out here, because its utterly endemic to every single side in online argues especially relating to the SCW--is fascinating to me because in each very slightly different particular instance I can't clock the degree to which it's merely bog-standard human scumminess and dishonesty in the name of servicing one's presupposed ideology, and that to which the individual has actually been made schizoid by sad news on the internet.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Willie Tomg posted:

The nearly instantaneous code-switching between Reasonable and Nuanced Discourse and histrionic performative breast-tearing--and please don't think I'm singling anyone out here, because its utterly endemic to every single side in online argues especially relating to the SCW--is fascinating to me because in each very slightly different particular instance I can't clock the degree to which it's merely bog-standard human scumminess and dishonesty in the name of servicing one's presupposed ideology, and that to which the individual has actually been made schizoid by sad news on the internet.

To be honest, I think most people arguing have some type of "dog" in the fight even if they have never visited MENA once or know a single person from it. I think it is endemic of a broader struggle for power that is occurring across the world. Some people may just be caught up in the debate, but usually, they aren't the ones that are constantly there in the "trenches' so to speak.

It really isn't a new thing of its own either, it just feels knew because 1. consumer access to the internet didn't exist during the Cold War (I am sure you could find some gems from Usenet), and 2. the post-Cold War order is starting to seriously slip.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Ardennes posted:

To be honest, I think most people arguing have some type of "dog" in the fight even if they have never visited MENA once or know a single person from it. I think it is endemic of a broader struggle for power that is occurring across the world. Some people may just be caught up in the debate, but usually, they aren't the ones that are constantly there in the "trenches' so to speak.

It really isn't a new thing of its own either, it just feels knew because 1. consumer access to the internet didn't exist during the Cold War (I am sure you could find some gems from Usenet), and 2. the post-Cold War order is starting to seriously slip.

I'd replace Cold with WW2 there. These are revolutionary times we live in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Count Roland posted:

I'd replace Cold with WW2 there. These are revolutionary times we live in.

Yeah, what on earth is going on? Have things always been this mad, or are we just more aware of it? I keep getting the very distinct and very unpleasant sensation that we are living through History. There's a dreadful resonance in all those old stories of civilisations bickering about last century's fight while next century's disaster creeps up on them. (I need to stop reading the news for a while.)