Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Since our last thread's more broken than the current geopolitical climate of the middle east, this is either an entirely temporary thread or definitely a temporary OP until someone more qualified and informed than I gets around to posting it. Barring either I'll see to updating this OP to something a lot more substantial- all suggestions are welcome the thread.

:justpost:

Some quick resources:
http://syriancivilwarmap.com/
http://syria.liveuamap.com/
http://iraq.liveuamap.com/
http://isis.liveuamap.com/
https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/

Previous Thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3390388&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Previous thread titles:
Middle East Thread of Eternal Despair - As Close to a Just War

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Adieu old thread full of tears, breakdowns and so many crushed souls o/
Hello new thread i do not expect you to be better.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Cross posting for the new thread:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Thanks rear end in a top hat, all that writing I did went to nothing.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

Did you not read the OP? It specifically mentions that it's temporary until someone more qualified either makes another thread or writes up a better OP. Everyone knows you called dibs, and I'm sure it'll work out.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 6, 2017

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Al-Saqr posted:

Absolutely not! I just got tired of the thread being messed up. Whenever your OP is ready I can close this thread or replace the OP with yours, if that's what you want. Like sinteres said, you called dibs

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Bohemian Nights posted:

Absolutely not! I just got tired of the thread being messed up. Whenever your OP is ready I can close this thread or replace the OP with yours, if that's what you want. Like sinteres said, you called dibs

ok lol just giving you poo poo. It's good that you did this, I will write it up as soon as possible and let you know.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Good idea, I look forward to Saqr's OP. That was a hell of a long old thread, thinking back to the Arab spring and everything happening live there, the Turkish coup, all the hijinks that ensued with neo imperialists and sick tankies and everything in between them. Following the rapid ascension of the Kurds and SDF before the taste started becoming more bittersweet (like all things in the Middle East).

things may be worse than in the Middle East but I like to think the posting about it is better compared to that old page 1 full of siiiiick pics and people talking about how hot Iranian women are during the green revolution (as a part-Iranian I can attest to this but it still always feels weird/creepy) and how not hot the Egyptians were.

Im thinking by page three thousand of this thread we'll have peace in the Middle East. That's something to think about toxxing for :)

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 6, 2017

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I'm definitely gonna go back and try to save an archive of what I wrote, so I can have depressing real time look at having all my hopes and dreams crushed.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

The Middle East thread is dead, long short live the temporary Middle East thread!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
The generally excellent Caspian Report has published a new video about the "geo-economics of Saudi Arabia’s NEOM project"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKgwm6WKhSg

Al-Saqr posted:

ok lol just giving you poo poo. It's good that you did this, I will write it up as soon as possible and let you know.

Haha, alright, cool! Better safe than bad vibes~

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Im thinking by page three thousand of this thread we'll have peace in the Middle East. That's something to think about toxxing for :)

I wouldn't bet on it, but it's a nice thing to strive for.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Even in the old thread did anyone post Al-Hariri's resignation as a part of the KSA funtime?

quote:

BEIRUT (Reuters) - Lebanon's president appealed for national unity on Monday after Prime Minister Saad al-Hariri quit in a broadcast from Saudi Arabia, collapsing the coalition government and plunging the country into political crisis.

His shock resignation exposed Lebanon again to the sharp end of the struggle for Middle East dominance between Sunni Muslim Saudi Arabia and Shi'ite Muslim Iran, which has also wrought upheaval in Syria, Iraq, Yemen and Bahrain.

In a televised speech on Saturday, Hariri shocked even his close aides by resigning. Lebanon's most influential Sunni politician, Hariri said he feared an assassination plot against him, accusing Iran and its Lebanese ally Hezbollah, which was part of his coalition, of breeding strife in the Arab world.

The government was painstakingly devised to group key sectarian factions including the Iran-backed, Shi'ite Hezbollah. Its leader Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah accused Saudi Arabia of forcing Hariri to go and said there were "legitimate questions" over whether he had been detained in the kingdom.

Aides to Hariri, whose family made their fortune in the Saudi construction industry, have strongly denied such claims.

Interior Minister Nohad Machnouk, a senior member of Hariri's political party, said he was under the impression the premier would return to Beirut within days.

A meeting between Saudi King Salman and Hariri in Riyadh on Monday proved "rumors" wrong, he said - an apparent reference to speculation that Hariri was detained or forced to quit.

Speculation in Lebanon over Hariri's status bubbled as Saudi Arabia underwent an anti-corruption purge in which royals, ministers and investors have been arrested as the putative next king tightens his grip on power.

Lebanese President Michel Aoun held a meeting with ministers and top security officials at Baabda palace, telling them that political leaders had been responsive to calls for calm.

"He stressed that security, economic, financial, and political stability is a red line," Justice Minister Salim Jreissati said after the meeting.

Aoun will take no steps to decide on whether to accept the resignation before Hariri returns from abroad, said Jreissati, who is politically aligned with Hezbollah.

"The president is waiting for Hariri's return to hear from him personally," he said. "This indicates a sovereign vision... and that the resignation must be voluntary in every sense."

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/a...ectarian-groups

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Looking forward to War of the Five Kings starring songs of previous 5 kings.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

whatever7 posted:

Looking forward to War of the Five Kings starring songs of previous 5 kings.

Game of Thawbs.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Laurenz posted:

I wouldn't bet on it, but it's a nice thing to strive for.

Are you saying you dont have faith in Jared Kushner?

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
Hi new thread - what are some non-partisan (as much as possible) resources for current news on Rojava?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I've been skimming the quarterly SIGAR report on the Afghan occupation and it is full of lol worthy details:

quote:

The U.S. government was ill-prepared to conduct security-sector assistance programs of the size and scope required in Afghanistan, whose population is about 70% illiterate and largely unskilled in technology. In particular, the U.S. government lacks a deployable police-development capability for high-threat environments, so training of more than 100,000 Afghan police has been performed by a variety of U.S. Army aviators, infantry officers, and civilian contractors. The only ministerial advisory training program is designed solely for civilians, but in Afghanistan mostly untrained military officers are conducting that mission. One U.S. officer watched TV shows like Cops and NCIS to learn what he should teach. In eastern Afghanistan, SIGAR met a U.S. Army helicopter pilot assigned to teach policing. Afghan police training has suffered because of this misalignment of U.S. advisors.

They've also stopped reporting deaths and desertions in the Afghan security forces. Not a good sign.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Bip Roberts posted:

Are you saying you dont have faith in Jared Kushner?

💯 he was dumb enough to tell the Prince to go for the current purge. Kush is really not bright.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
A good thread rule, possibly worth adding to the OP:

Please do not get ME residents (such as Al-Saqr) executed.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I stopped reading the ME after my eyes rolled up back through my head when people were morally condemning other people they had internet disagreements with. Please don't tell me someone tried to doxx Al-Saqr or something stupid.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Dreylad posted:

I stopped reading the ME after my eyes rolled up back through my head when people were morally condemning other people they had internet disagreements with. Please don't tell me someone tried to doxx Al-Saqr or something stupid.

No, just people demanding Al-Saqr denounce thus-and-such KSA authority with the same fervor he denounced other people in the ME. It came up with a Turkish poster who doesn't post any more too, as I recall.

e: Maybe it was someone in Egypt? I don't remember, it was a long time ago.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
like peace in the middle east, al-saqr's op will never come to be

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Rooney McNibnug posted:

Hi new thread - what are some non-partisan (as much as possible) resources for current news on Rojava?

Find SA poster Saladin Rising, click "post history" :v:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Cease to Hope posted:

No, just people demanding Al-Saqr denounce thus-and-such KSA authority with the same fervor he denounced other people in the ME. It came up with a Turkish poster who doesn't post any more too, as I recall.

e: Maybe it was someone in Egypt? I don't remember, it was a long time ago.

lol well that's awful but I guess to be expected from people with that kind of political agenda.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dreylad posted:

Nah, people just decided (wrongly) it was time for a new thread.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Nah, people just decided (wrongly) it was time for a new thread.

The old thread was unreadable but in a literal sense that the website was broken.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Bohemian Nights posted:

The generally excellent Caspian Report has published a new video about the "geo-economics of Saudi Arabia’s NEOM project"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKgwm6WKhSg

I, too, play Cities: Skylines with unlimited funds mod

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/FDD_Iran/status/927577380855656448

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Find SA poster Saladin Rising, click "post history" :v:
Can confirm, this works pretty good.:v:

On that note, an update on the Manbij protests over forced conscriptions:
https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/comments/7b747y/manbij_here_the_forced_recruitment_was_abolished/
"Manbij Here facebook page: The forced recruitment was abolished."

https://twitter.com/SaadAlsabr_/status/927568490629705728

quote:

#BREAKING
#Raqqa : #SDF “ Asayish “ Suspension of compulsory service law until further notice.
#Syria

As I think because there is a great objection from the elders of the tribes of #Raqqa as well.
SDF did what Assad should have done all those years ago and listened to the protesters.

Further news stuff to kick off the hopefully temporary thread:

From Cizire Canton's twitter, November 6, 2017.
SDF forces cleared an ISIS pocket along the Khabur river. Al Busayrah remains a small pocket. The Euphrates makes a nice (if wiggly) border line.

https://twitter.com/SaadAlsabr_/status/927544826563719168

quote:

Video from "al-Omar oilfield" #SDF controlled the area after clashes against #ISIS north #DeirEzzor. @DeirEzzor24

https://twitter.com/CJTFOIR/status/927495535409418245

quote:

Raqqah Civil Council provides supplies to bakeries that sell below cost to Raqqawis in need. Coalition partners enable such initiatives.
A little bit of the "Hearts and Minds" (and Stomachs) part of the rebuilding.

Finally, the present and the future:
https://en.zamanalwsl.net/news/30935.html

quote:

A high-ranking Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) official has told Sputnik Turkiye that the US continues to supply them with arms and has recently delivered 120 trucks loaded with heavy armament and armored vehicles for the Deir ez-Zor operation.

"The US has supplied us with Hummer armored vehicles and heavy armament for the Deir ez-Zor operation, including missiles, infra-red guidance missiles, machine guns, mine throwers, Kalashnikov assault rifles and other ammunition," the SDF source told Sputnik Turkiye on condition of anonymity.

The SDF took 4 villages from ISIS on Monday, 36 km (23 miles) southwest of Deir ez-Zor, local activist told Zaman al-Wasl as regime forces press more advances on the other bank of Euphrates River.

According to the high-ranking official, the armaments and vehicles have been brought from the territory of Northern Iraq through the Semelka checkpoint into Rojava, the territory where the Syrian Kurds live. From there, the trucks with weaponry left for the territories which have been cleaned from Daesh (ISIS) to the north of Deir ez-Zor.

The total number of trucks amounted to 120; the source, however said that they need more.

"We are advancing, our forces need to operate in the areas of combat and we do need armored vehicles. We have lost many fighters who were killed in mortar shelling by Daesh terrorists because they did not have armor protection," he explained.

He further elaborated that Daesh militants use sniper rifles and mine throwers. If SDF fighters had enough of armored vehicles and heavy weaponry, there would have been a lot less victims. However the US officers are there on the ground and have a chance to assess the situation themselves. They promised to meet the demands of SDF in additional armaments, he concluded. (With Sputnik)
Raqqa is done, we're still supplying the SDF. I'm very curious to see if we continue supplying the SDF after ISIS no longer officially holds territory, since that would indicate a bit more of a long-term commitment.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 6, 2017

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/Jerusalem_Post/status/927637248815726592

quote:

Saudi Arabia said on Monday that Lebanon had declared war against it because of attacks against the Kingdom by the Lebanese Shi'ite group Hezbollah.

Saudi Gulf affairs minister Thamer al-Sabhan told Al-Arabiya TV that Saad al-Hariri, who announced his resignation as Lebanon's prime minister on Saturday, had been told that acts of "aggression" by Hezbollah "were considered acts of a declaration of war against Saudi Arabia by Lebanon and by the Lebanese Party of the Devil."

Edit: Reuters is saying the same thing word for word.

ded redd fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 6, 2017

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Uhhhhh

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The bigger tag line: http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/237730

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Office Pig posted:

https://twitter.com/Jerusalem_Post/status/927637248815726592

Edit: Reuters is saying the same thing word for word.

so this is, um, really alarming. so is this gonna be a giant land war now or is it gonna be a proxy war in Yemen.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I don't see it on reuters anywhere

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so this is, um, really alarming. so is this gonna be a giant land war now or is it gonna be a proxy war in Yemen.

It's going to be neither. Saudi Arabia is trying to distract everyone from its internal 'issues' right now, and Israel's being Israel and trying to make it worse because if there's anything they enjoy, it's Arabs killing other Arabs.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's going to be neither. Saudi Arabia is trying to distract everyone from its internal 'issues' right now, and Israel's being Israel and trying to make it worse because if there's anything they enjoy, it's Arabs killing other Arabs.

Makes sense to me.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

They can't be serious.

e:

Yeah its on Reuters

quote:

BEIRUT (Reuters) - Saudi Arabia said on Monday that Lebanon had declared war against it because of attacks against the Kingdom by the Lebanese Shi‘ite group Hezbollah.

Saudi Gulf affairs minister Thamer al-Sabhan told Al-Arabiya TV that Saad al-Hariri, who announced his resignation as Lebanon’s prime minister on Saturday, had been told that acts of “aggression” by Hezbollah “were considered acts of a declaration of war against Saudi Arabia by Lebanon and by the Lebanese Party of the Devil”.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-saudi-missiles-yemen/saudi-led-forces-close-air-sea-and-land-access-to-yemen-idUSKBN1D60I8?il=0

e2: So the Saudi Gulf Affairs Minister was himself told that this was the case. Not exactly an official announcement.

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 6, 2017

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

sharknado slashfic posted:

I don't see it on reuters anywhere

I wasn't kidding when I said it was basically the same thing. That said, it is a little clickbait-y for what's actually happening and BIG HEADLINE probably has the right of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Saudi Arabia's new leader is certainly eager to distinguish himself from his predecessor.