Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

spincube posted:

I love the idea of having more citizen-focused, 'organic' disasters than the same ones we've seen since SC2K. Like an 'oh poo poo' industrial dispute where the roads into your cargo terminals end up under Operation Stack, for example - or a cold-weather disease that spreads via public transport, or something. Let's find out whether the agent simulation is smart enough to require actual road upkeep, instead of a generic cost-per-unit - as in, roads visually degrade until they need to be closed or restricted until they can be repaired.

Yeah. Disasters that actually stress my city networks and not just a pretty way to smash everything down like I'm 5 with my LEGOs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just doing some suburban things and crying over RICO still not being fixed and the creator being MIA.

Little tram stop in what will be a denser office area

Park separating the core of the city from the suburbs because without rico I can't really do a nice transition.

So many little houses

The highway flows nice, still only the one offramp through. Little suburban train station is fairly well used as well.

Some retail and apartments next to the station

What's suburbia without big dehumanizing malls?

Made a 2nd highway connection way up north, though the area had a nice view so added a hotel and a strip for gas stations and other ugly highway-side services. Wish I had some little motel instead of that tower though.

And the map so far

Obviously nothing is detailed at this point.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

Just doing some suburban things and crying over RICO still not being fixed and the creator being MIA.

What in RICO is broken exactly? I haven't noticed any problems - then again, most of what I've been up to since Green Cities dropped is doing big-picture infrastructure on a new map.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Baronjutter posted:

Just for fun a while ago I made a big ugly sprawling highway city and traffic was hell. The game isn't perfect but you often do get the traffic you build for, there's almost an induced demand effect. Build huge mega-grids of highways and you'll get a huge amount of car traffic, but that exact same population when built in a cozy web of 2-lane streets and bike lanes and good transit and suddenly it all works nice too.

Certain cims will prefer transit, some will prefer cars, but most will pick the fastest rought weighted by these two preferences. What they don't understand is congestion. So if you build a city around highways they will see these super fast routes available to them and that will tip many to choose to drive, but when you have mostly 40kph streets everywhere then things other than driving become more enticing, especially when your city is designed to make driving routes longer and less direct than other methods.

The problem for me has always been intersections with traffic lights. They suck and don't work like real ones. I end up making everything into a mini interchange if I can, and have as few entrances and exits from areas as possible, which works because cims will stupidly only go out/in one road anyway.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

dragonshardz posted:

What in RICO is broken exactly? I haven't noticed any problems - then again, most of what I've been up to since Green Cities dropped is doing big-picture infrastructure on a new map.

All high density residential have their settings over-written to have the capacity of what ever vanilla light residential would have. So what used to be a rico apartment tower with 80 households now has 3. Everything else is fine though! But when you like to make vast housing estates with big long rico apartment building sets you're hosed until the dude comes back and fixed the mod :(

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

All high density residential have their settings over-written to have the capacity of what ever vanilla light residential would have. So what used to be a rico apartment tower with 80 households now has 3. Everything else is fine though! But when you like to make vast housing estates with big long rico apartment building sets you're hosed until the dude comes back and fixed the mod :(

Are you using FindIt to place your buildings, and if so have you tried placing them with the Rico menu? Apparently that fixes some people's issues.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

turn off the TV posted:

Are you using FindIt to place your buildings, and if so have you tried placing them with the Rico menu? Apparently that fixes some people's issues.

Tried both ways, no luck. Weirdly I have a set of 3 very similar german mid-century apartment houses. 2 of them plop down with 3 households, one plops with the correct rico-set 16. No idea why, they all came from the same author with the same settings in the same pack. But 100% of my eastern european blocks give 2-3 households :(

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

Tried both ways, no luck. Weirdly I have a set of 3 very similar german mid-century apartment houses. 2 of them plop down with 3 households, one plops with the correct rico-set 16. No idea why, they all came from the same author with the same settings in the same pack. But 100% of my eastern european blocks give 2-3 households :(

Interesting, what building set and what buildings are the ones that do work? There are a couple of people looking into issues with the mod and that could be pretty helpful for them to know.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

turn off the TV posted:

Interesting, what building set and what buildings are the ones that do work? There are a couple of people looking into issues with the mod and that could be pretty helpful for them to know.

This one works and gives the correct 16 households
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=689183956

Yet these two, like most, do not.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=672153120
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=674944487

When placed, all 3 query as "light residential" yet the "b" block gives 16 vs 3 households. I have no idea why.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I was able to find a section of RICO's code that probably was the issue and someone else has reported that they found a typo in that section and fixing is solved the issue, so hopefully someone uploads a fixed version some time soon.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 18, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I was just coming to post that it's just apparently one bit of wrong code someone's figured out.

I hope a new caretaker for the mod can be found. Stuff like metro overhaul needing to be "patched" due to the official owner going away for a long while and now the same problem with RICO really highlights that the steam workshop is fine for stuff like buildings and props but for big mods people rely on there really need to be some sort of joint ownership system, where a group of people all have access. So all those big mods that have like 3-4 people listed as creators, they should all have the ability to update the mod if needed.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1204126182

Here we go, the author of Realistic Population and Consumption uploaded a fixed version. Plop away, Baronjutter.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm sure we've all been there before, plopping planters then trying to plop trees on top.

Also Whitefang is the best Furry on the internet. Also AJ3D just commented on whitefang's fix and there's some other rico/realstic pop issue someone else found so I think I'm just going to wait a bit and hopefully AJ3D can just properly update the actual mod nicely.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 18, 2017

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
AJ was active in the beta forum just last week so I don't know what was going on there.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
https://www.google.com/maps/place/W...4!4d-77.5740588

Check out this intersection. This is I-590 at Winton Rd in Rochester, NY. The intersection design is called a diverging diamond. It crosses the opposing lanes at the ramps, forcing red lights at the intersection, to avoid left turn crashes and better reduce and control congestion. I'm not sure this would translate to the game but I might give it a try.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
For the most part, the diamonds work in game, but the hard part can be getting the roads to look good without any lights appearing on them. There are a bunch of diverging diamonds on the workshop if you want to save some sanity as well.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

It's hard to make comparisons when using realistic population and citizen lifestyle rebalance because those mods both change a great deal about how traffic ends up working on top of being customizable on a player by player basis, and when you throw in poo poo like custom assets having their stats scale by size, rush hour and TM:PE it's hard to make comparisons.

A residential area of wall to wall low density homes can be a nightmare of traffic with the right combination of mods, while a larger, European style city will be a breeze.

Which mods are these?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Minenfeld! posted:

Which mods are these?

Realistic Population and Consumption and Citizen Lifecyle Rebalance.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Got it. Thanks.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So, eating my words a little about totally not needing highways. Due to all the suburbia I've been building and the mod I'm using that makes suburban scum much more likely to drive I actually started getting some serious congestion, about 50/50 trucks and cars along the routes marked in red. It was obvious this was going to happen as this was the only route through the region and all the industrial traffic from the far east had to go through the city to reach the regional highway on the far west, as well as deliver goods around.

What solved things were in two parts. The most obvious, a bypass route in blue. This is still just a simple 2-lane "highway" without fancy interchanges and some normal surface intersections. The less obvious part was speed limits. Even before I built the bypass route in blue, I lowered the speed limits on all avenues in the city from 50 to 40. This meant that cims no longer prioritized the avenues for speed, and more evenly distributed traffic through the city onto the practically empty 2-lane streets in the area. With both solutions in place, traffic through the city centre is back to being extremely low.

Heck, you can barely see much traffic on the new bypass route, it's mostly trucks and vans, but it's taken just enough load off the city centre intersections to totally fix flow. Surface intersections quickly hit a critical mass of traffic where they really start to jam up.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Is there a way in the vanilla game to have an offramp / merging lane onto a street (ie an avenue or 3 lane both ways street) without it creating a solid intersection where cars will stop and wait for an opening to turn left onto opposing traffic?

Or, in other words, there's no way to limit or disable left-hand turns in the base game without resorting to using a lot of 1-way 2-lane roads, is there? Is this something that traffic extensions PE can adress?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Traffic president or what even it's called will fix that up for you but the Avenue will still be visually open. You can place some divider props in there though to make it look like left turns are impossible but now you are using move it and prop line tool and dehumanizing your self to face to plopshed.

It's as simple as this

here's your avenue with a ramp coming in, obviously you want it to just merge with the right lane and not become a full intersection with left turns.

So, just open up traffic president and either just turn off the left arrow on the ramp, or go into the lane connector and manually connect the lanes like so. You'll see the road arrow changes too.

Someone has made better props, but with what I had on hand I blocked off the intersection visually.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 19, 2017

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I just bought this game for the PS4 and I'm having lots of fun. It's the city builder I've been wanting for years.

But is it possible to 'lose'? I've been doing sub-optimal stuff as it's still my first town but I'm raking in a ton of money and my citizens are happy.

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Nov 21, 2017

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

John F Bennett posted:

But is it possible to 'lose'? I've been doing sub-optimal stuff as it's still my first town but I'm raking in a ton of money and my citizens are happy.

Yes? Kind of? A bit?

It's not a hard game, not by any stretch, but sometimes you CAN gently caress up your city very quickly, in ways that are usually hilarious but ultimately reversible.

For instance: as my new city grew bigger and bigger, I studiously placed more and more water pumps for my thirsty citizens, to the point that the pumps were sucking up water so fast, the flow of the river actually reversed. This was a bad thing because downriver a ways was my sewage runoff pipe...

I was fiddling around with designing an overpass, and then suddenly noticed that 90% of my city was sick for some reason. By the time I realized that they were all drinking human excrement, half my city was dead. What followed was an hour of hearse traffic jams and abandoned buildings.

You can't actually "lose", but when you sorta do lose, it will usually be for some really dumb, highly amusing reason. And that's another example of why this game is good.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

That sounds interesting! Are there any other examples of unexpectedness such as this?

I'm also anxiously awaiting the Disasters DLC for similar reasons.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

John F Bennett posted:

That sounds interesting! Are there any other examples of unexpectedness such as this?

Yes.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Half shameless plug, half honest question: I made this Stonehenge-like park asset. I used an ugly ground prop to try to mimic old broken up pavement, but I'm not totally happy with it. Are there dirt/concrete brushes besides this one that aren't the perfect squares of tile brushes?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1206500004

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've got a question about poo (never thought i'd type that).

Do you absolutely have to place drains on water? If so, can you place those drains, then remove or channel the water to make a poo river?

I'm thinking of making a city powered by a lovely dam.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

dogstile posted:

Do you absolutely have to place drains on water? If so, can you place those drains, then remove or channel the water to make a poo river?

The Poo-ver Dam, as it were.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

dogstile posted:

You can also place them on canals. But otherwise yes the game won't let you place them unless there's water there.

But you can plop a short section of canal on a slope and then just flood a little basin with poo, delete the canal and move the outflow to your new poo lake.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Mine is hopefully going to be a huge poo river. Multi tiered if I can help it.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

dogstile posted:

Mine is hopefully going to be a huge poo river. Multi tiered if I can help it.

Once your gravy waterfall is big enough, build some hotels around it. Could be a great honeymoon destination for newlyweds.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Goredema posted:

Once your gravy waterfall is big enough, build some hotels around it. Could be a great honeymoon destination for newlyweds.

"Right this way sir, I'll lead you to the honeydipper suite."
"Um, don't you mean the Honeymoon suite?"
"...No."

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
You can place sewage/drainage outlets wherever you want, the game just gives you a warning that it isn't in a good location if you place them on land, since poop will begin to pool all around it.

Very handy, though, if you have already filled up the 9 tiles max, you can stick them all on the corner of the map, build a berm around them so the poop doesn't float towards your city, and be content with a huge expanding lagoon outside your city limits.

Also, strangely enough, the game does not factor in gravity in pumping costs, so a bunch of sewage outlets pumping and feeding the poo-ver dam will net you a positive increase in electricity.

Lastly, you can use unconnected intake pumps to create draw to help with your dam's water flow...

Good luck!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Goredema posted:

*clicks the Marina button like a man possessed*

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
None of my hospitals have any patients.

I'm spending money on you people, go break a leg or lick a power outlet or something!!

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
So I looked at a bunch of the OP resources and they seemed comically out of date for the most part so I'm just going to ask here.

I've been really struggling with traffic, got the mods to mess with traffic lights and figured out a few basics but once I reach like 20k-30k everything just clogs to hell and I just can't figure out how to fix it. Is there anything decent and current on how to get traffic off the highway and into the city?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

So I looked at a bunch of the OP resources and they seemed comically out of date for the most part so I'm just going to ask here.

I've been really struggling with traffic, got the mods to mess with traffic lights and figured out a few basics but once I reach like 20k-30k everything just clogs to hell and I just can't figure out how to fix it. Is there anything decent and current on how to get traffic off the highway and into the city?

There's some real general rule of thumb advise that makes a ton of assumptions on how you build your city and your goals, but to give proper advice we'd need some pics.
I've found messing around with lights pretty useless and confusing, while the lane-connector tool in traffic manager can solve a LOT of issues.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Baronjutter posted:

There's some real general rule of thumb advise that makes a ton of assumptions on how you build your city and your goals, but to give proper advice we'd need some pics.

Sorry, totally blanked on those. I'll get some pictures from my biggest cities when I get back to my gaming PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
How difficult is it to customise assets/ploppables?

I've got a bajillion mods and custom assets and whatever but some of them have weird attributes, like harbour walls that double as parks, cranes the double as parks and other things that generate/require electricity for some reason. I have a drydock that needs workers, but I just want it for the visuals, etc.

I'd really like to be able to tweak their stats while keeping the visual component, but my last attempt at changing a ploppable somehow made all of my electricity producers provide water instead or something.