Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Visa gift card? They can spend it wherever they want.

When I was a kid in the early 90s, I remember watching a school bus safety video. I vividly remember two scenes. In one, a boy drops something and it rolls under the bus, he goes after it, and the bus runs over his arm. In the other, some kids are messing around and a piece of fruit rolls down the aisle and gets lodged under the brake, and the bus is headed towards an oncoming train. I can't find this video anywhere. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Koivunen posted:

Visa gift card

this, amazon, or adameve, if you want to be *that* aunt/uncle

there is no way for you to ever guess what teenage girls will like. just give them money.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I'm seeing my three cousins (all teen girls) in December and wanted to get them each iTunes gift cards... until I realized there's a 99% chance they stream all their music and have never even considered buying TV/movies from the iTunes store. Which sucks because the iTunes gift card has been a great neutral gift staple for a decade!
If you want to give them cash, just give them cash. Gift cards are and always have been the worst. If you want to get them an actual gift, look at what they post about on social media.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
A gift card is a gift to the company who issues the card, not to the recipient of your present.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
is it hosed up to keep a cat outside at night during 25-35 degree weather(F)? The neighbors keep their cat outside it seems like full time. It's a nice cat and I'm worried about it. I'm not sure about bringing it in yet because of our dogs, but for tonight I made a 26 inch cardboard box with a blanket and some old clothes inside it, with a small opening for him to sleep in. This should suffice for now, yeah?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

is it hosed up to keep a cat outside at night during 25-35 degree weather(F)? The neighbors keep their cat outside it seems like full time. It's a nice cat and I'm worried about it. I'm not sure about bringing it in yet because of our dogs, but for tonight I made a 26 inch cardboard box with a blanket and some old clothes inside it, with a small opening for him to sleep in. This should suffice for now, yeah?

It's -25 for me right now and there is like 7 farm cats that are outside in a little cat house with some blankets. They'll be fine

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Ah, thanks. I don't figure cardboard would really offer a ton of protection but I figured if it the wind was off of him and he had some blankets to nestle into he'd be okay. He sits in front of our door looking really sad.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Ive got a gemcutting machine from America that needs 110V power. I live in Sweden atm, so I bought a step down transformer with power input options of 220V and 240V, but Sweden has 230V outlets. Which option should I use? Do I need to buy a different transformer? Ive asked the manufacturer and they said that not using a transformer might produce unpredictable results which I don't really want to risk since I dont understand this poo poo at all and that thing is expensive.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Xun posted:

Ive got a gemcutting machine from America that needs 110V power. I live in Sweden atm, so I bought a step down transformer with power input options of 220V and 240V, but Sweden has 230V outlets. Which option should I use? Do I need to buy a different transformer? Ive asked the manufacturer and they said that not using a transformer might produce unpredictable results which I don't really want to risk since I dont understand this poo poo at all and that thing is expensive.

https://www.schneider-electric.co.uk/en/faqs/FA144717/ - it's nearly the same anyway.

I would set the transformer to 240v and then it will be outputting slightly less than 110v (it's usually better to use less voltage than more)

If the machine is a simple motor it probably won't care..

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Xun posted:

The American device may say it needs 110 volt power, but electricity from the outlet here in the US is usually supplied between 110 to 125 volt normally, with the actual wall output usually being 115-120 volts. In other words, the outputted voltage should be just fine for your American equipment regardless of whether you choose 220 or 240 on your transformer.

220 volt setting should be closer to what's actually coming out of your wall outlets, so I'd stick to that unless you notice problems from it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

If I'm getting quite a lot of hair loss in the shower and the hair at my temples is receding, on top of the fact that I've got some sort of red, inflamed rash spots along my hairline (wasn't there before, but has flared up in the last few days) is this a pretty solid sign that I'm going bald?

A lot of my friends (we're all 25) have receding temple lines in fairness, so it's probably just me getting older and not having a nice flat hairline. But coupled with the rashy spots, dandruff and hair clumps in my hands during showering, I'm worried I'ma be bald soon.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I'm seeing my three cousins (all teen girls) in December and wanted to get them each iTunes gift cards... until I realized there's a 99% chance they stream all their music and have never even considered buying TV/movies from the iTunes store. Which sucks because the iTunes gift card has been a great neutral gift staple for a decade!

What's a good alternative? I'm totally blanking. Amazon for sure, but maybe I'm forgetting something.

Drop into the gbs aliexpress thread for cute goody gifts that you can attach some cash to. That way it looks like you made an effort, it's more substantial than chucking money at them, and appears like you genuinely care.

For example there's some cute fish pillows linked in the last page that would make a nice carrier to a gift card type thing and it's an ironic silly gift that can be played off as a joke.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
If I get an xray and there is a big blob on it and the doctor shows it to me and goes "What is that?!?!" then orders a CT does it mean I have cancer? I got the xray in relation to kidney stones and they showed up on the xray, but so did this other thing and waiting for a doctor to tell me what it is is making me extremely loving anxious.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Caufman posted:

A gift card is a gift to the company who issues the card, not to the recipient of your present.

I'll make sure to write that on the card.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Caufman posted:

It's not a gift, legally speaking its an unsecured interest-free loan.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Having another case of me and my partner forgetting one thing in the fridge too long, a science question:

How the hell do things pick up mold in the first place? Like, this time it was some soup in the fridge. Other times, it's a sealed up loaf of bread.

We're not slobs, we keep poo poo clean, especially when it comes to food. Is mold stuff just everywhere, waiting for conditions to turn three pieces of rye bread into a disaster?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

Having another case of me and my partner forgetting one thing in the fridge too long, a science question:

How the hell do things pick up mold in the first place? Like, this time it was some soup in the fridge. Other times, it's a sealed up loaf of bread.

We're not slobs, we keep poo poo clean, especially when it comes to food. Is mold stuff just everywhere, waiting for conditions to turn three pieces of rye bread into a disaster?

Mold is in every breath you take. It's floating in the air. Things floating in the air will settle on surfaces. Of that surface has enough moisture, and given enough time, mold will grow.

When you do air quality testing to see if a house has a mold problem, they take indoor and outdoor air samples and compare the concentrations. It's not a question of if there will be mold in the air. There will always be mold in the air. Its if there is significantly more in the inside than the outside.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I have some stocks that I have to liquidate for an estate. My estate lawyer sent them to me and told me to. I called the company to see if they have internal transfer agents that can purchase back the stocks directly. They do not, and said I'd have to go through a stock broker. I do not have other stocks, nor do I have a general financial advisor.

How do I find a stock broker that I'm planning on using once? Or do I do it myself on TD Ameritrade or whatnot?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 21, 2017

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Caufman posted:

this is very deep

also did you know that if you're not paying for the service, YOU are the product?!?!??!?!?!?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Q8ee posted:

If I'm getting quite a lot of hair loss in the shower and the hair at my temples is receding, on top of the fact that I've got some sort of red, inflamed rash spots along my hairline (wasn't there before, but has flared up in the last few days) is this a pretty solid sign that I'm going bald?

A lot of my friends (we're all 25) have receding temple lines in fairness, so it's probably just me getting older and not having a nice flat hairline. But coupled with the rashy spots, dandruff and hair clumps in my hands during showering, I'm worried I'ma be bald soon.
See a doctor soon.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
What is an acceptable answer to the tortoise question in Blade Runner?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Caufman posted:

It's to provoke a response, the answer to the question doesn't matter. If you asked a human that question you'd get an outrage response and probably an answer of "but I would help it!". The pupil dilation and galvanic skin response is the thing the machine is testing, not the answers to the question. The question just exists to provoke those responses.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

feedmyleg posted:

I have some stocks that I have to liquidate for an estate. My estate lawyer sent them to me and told me to. I called the company to see if they have internal transfer agents that can purchase back the stocks directly. They do not, and said I'd have to go through a stock broker. I do not have other stocks, nor do I have a general financial advisor.

How do I find a stock broker that I'm planning on using once? Or do I do it myself on TD Ameritrade or whatnot?

Probably for the best to just contact your own bank to handle it for you - they should have a stock trading agent around who can take care of liquidating the stock and transferring to your accounts.

Companies pretty much never buyback their stock from random people by the way, if they're doing stock buybacks they're going on the market itself or to some of their larger investors to do that.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Awesome, thanks! I'll swing by the bank tomorrow.

Caufman posted:

The Voight-Kampf test doesn't have acceptable or unacceptable answers. Instead, it's a measurement of your body's various biological processes while answering the tester's questions, like an extremely advanced lie detector. But instead of detecting whether or not you're lying, it detects whether or not you're being empathetic. By the logic of the test's creators, there's a certain threshold after which that level of empathy affirms your humanity.

But to answer your question more specifically, the tortoise question is essentially asking "Why might you flip this tortoise onto its back?" Put simply, an empathetic answer ("human" answer) would likely reject the premise entirely by saying "I wouldn't flip the tortoise over, that's terrible", or trying to justify it as "The only reason I would do that is if I had to kill the turtle for food to survive". A non-empathetic answer ("replicant" answer) might be "Nature operates on the rule of survival of the fittest, and that tortoise's evolution has failed it by design. It should be selected to die so that more adept species can thrive."

It's why when Rachel was presented with the question of a boy displaying his butterfly kill jar, she is aghast and says that she'd take him to the doctor. Even though she's a replicant, she's giving an empathetic answer that a human might. On a meta-textual level, the film is positing that the entire test is flawed, and that humans can lack empathy and non-humans can express empathy. Or, rather, that humanity is not determined by your genetic makeup but by your thoughts feelings and actions, a theme that the sequel explores in greater depth. Hence why at the end, Roy saved Deckard from falling off the rooftop even though Deckard is trying to kill him. In essence, he decided not to flip the tortoise over, proving that he is "more human than human".

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 22, 2017

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I'll make sure to write that on the card.

Alternative: Skip the card. They're boring and show a lack of imagination, and that's not you. Get them each a book. I suggest short stories, because they have a better chance of getting read than novels etc., such as Amy Hempel's Reasons to Live, Self-Help by Lorrie Moore, Raymond Carver's Cathedral.

Go to Kinko's and get a sheet of heavy card stock. Cut bookmarks out of it and scribble something funny and/or heartfelt on them (no famous quotes, be original). Place a bookmark and a crisp clean bill in each book, and gift wrap the books in brown paper from cut-up grocery bags. Write each cousin's name on the book you've chosen for them.

http://fictionaut.com/stories/amy-hempel/in-the-cemetery-where-al-jolson-is-buried.pdf

http://www.sfuadcnf.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/How-to-Become-a-Writer-Lorrie-Moore.pdf

http://www.giuliotortello.it/ebook/cathedral.pdf

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

socketwrencher posted:

They're boring and show a lack of imagination, and that's not you. Get them each a book.

you could also just give them each a rock, because I am sure that is something that teenage girls will use and enjoy, too

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Suddenly having a property that can have chickens, I might like to get some chickens.

Are they easy to care for? or is it like goldfish where the fuckers die the moment I forget to feed them once. Also, if I have chickens do I get eggs? I don't want chickens if I don't get eggs.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

504 posted:

Suddenly having a property that can have chickens, I might like to get some chickens.

Are they easy to care for? or is it like goldfish where the fuckers die the moment I forget to feed them once. Also, if I have chickens do I get eggs? I don't want chickens if I don't get eggs.
There's a thread in Pet Island for backyard chickens. OP sucks though.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417601

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

ladron posted:

you could also just give them each a rock, because I am sure that is something that teenage girls will use and enjoy, too

Well, I never said it was a good alternative. Still, I'd bet at least one of the three would appreciate it. I'd take those odds vs. doing the usual thing. Worst case scenario, they still enjoy the cash.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Q8ee posted:

That's not what happens when people go bald. See a doctor about your rash.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

504 posted:

Free-range chickens are pretty easy if you don't make pets of them. They are very vulnerable to predation though, so depending on your exact circumstances you might loose them pretty frequently.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

bongwizzard posted:

Free-range chickens are pretty easy if you don't make pets of them. They are very vulnerable to predation though, so depending on your exact circumstances you might loose them pretty frequently.

I'm pretty sure leash laws apply to chickens

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

bongwizzard posted:

And if there's a road nearby, you might be able to observe them closely and finally derive an empirical answer as to why they cross.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

ladron posted:

Haha yeah, I'm not getting my 14 year old teen girl cousin who I haven't seen in 5 years a Raymond Carver book. I appreciate the ideas but not sure how that's analogous to "iTunes gift card." I'm going to get them Amazon gift cards and they'll buy something they like instead of cash in an envelope (not classy) or books. I love books now, but I hated getting books as a teen... and these are teens who don't know life w/o internet or screens.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Haha yeah, I'm not getting my 14 year old teen girl cousin who I haven't seen in 5 years a Raymond Carver book. I appreciate the ideas but not sure how that's analogous to "iTunes gift card." I'm going to get them Amazon gift cards and they'll buy something they like instead of cash in an envelope (not classy) or books. I love books now, but I hated getting books as a teen... and these are teens who don't know life w/o internet or screens.

lots of teens like to read, YA novels are a huge thing, I agree that Raymond Carver is not really the best pick but books are still a good gift

imo there's also nothing at all wrong with giving cash and its really weird that thats considered "not classy" but giving someone a prepaid credit card or amazon card doesn't have that same stigma. even though its the same thing just with more branding.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Take her out for a nice lunch maybe?

Generally experiences make for better gifts than things

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I bet Mordecai Sanchez is completely delightful, but "going out to lunch with your older cousin" ranks way, way below "Amazon gift card" when you're 14.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Gobbeldygook posted:

There's a thread in Pet Island for backyard chickens. OP sucks though.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417601

bongwizzard posted:

Thanks for the tips, good info here. I'll name them (I'm cool) but have service animals someone get to friendly.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

AlbieQuirky posted:

I bet Mordecai Sanchez is completely delightful, but "going out to lunch with your older cousin" ranks way, way below "Amazon gift card" when you're 14.

I would say I'm 7/10 on a delightful scale but even if I was a 10, I'm seeing them for one night during a big family Hanukkah party. Also... lunch? Lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
Teens love hyped up streetwear clothing brands, get them a T-shirt that says Stussy, Palace or Thrasher.