Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

vyst posted:

He didn't punch a kid. It was reported he shoved him up against a locker. But given they gave him like 4 mil in the wrongful termination suit, who knows.

The kid's dead now so that sucks too.

That got dark quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

vyst posted:

The kid's dead now so that sucks too.

Jesus, how hard did he shove him?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Scionix posted:

Chip Kelly scared AF of Saban lol

Most coaches should be. He's a pretty big bump in the road to the playoffs.

General Dog posted:

Jesus, how hard did he shove him?

:D

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

South Alabama: Joey Jones is stepping down at the end of his current contract and will coach the team’s season finale against New Mexico State December 2nd. Jones was 52-49 in eight seasons leading the program.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/kyle_sample/status/932720598504980481

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Some Big Sky media folks are confirming that. Man that's weird.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Stitt happens.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Wasn't Stitt considered like one of the hottest coaching prospects in the country at one point? What happened there?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Goff with Fisher: extremely bad

Goff without Fisher: GSoT 2.0

Hmm, I know who I want to hire

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
One interesting wrinkle is that the Nebraska basketball team is playing UCF in Orlando on Thanksgiving. I have to wonder who will be on that plane.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Benne posted:

Wasn't Stitt considered like one of the hottest coaching prospects in the country at one point? What happened there?

he beat North Dakota State in his Montana debut in the greatest game of football ever played and unfortunately that used up all of his football magic for the rest of his career

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Benne posted:

everyone runs jet sweeps now

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Benne posted:

More an innovative genius than a top prospect I think?

Think like...Hal Mumme except at the D2/FCS level.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Wow another team that might steal chip kelly. Florida can’t catch a break!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah, I think the consensus on Stitt was more "he could be interesting, worth keeping an eye on" than "an FBS school needs to hire this man RIGHT NOW"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

More an innovative genius than a top prospect I think?

Think like...Hal Mumme except at the D2/FCS level.

He was definitely to go to “look how smart and outside the box I am” name people would bring up in coaching searches for three or four years (to the point that people who clearly hadn’t paid attention to his Montana stint since the first game were still bringing him up in this thread). He probably could have had a FBS OC job at one point but didn’t want it.

Montana is a really good FCS program traditionally too, this is the first time they’ve missed the playoffs in consecutive seasons since 1992

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 20, 2017

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Seems like a soft landing place for McElwain.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

LeeMajors posted:

Seems like a soft landing place for McElwain.

He'll be at Alabama next year.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Scionix posted:

Chip Kelly scared AF of Saban lol

I don't think Kelly gives a single gently caress about Saban

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
So it looks like the Tennessee is trolling the fanbase, and I can’t blame them.

https://twitter.com/treyw_radio/status/932744714536800256

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

He'll be at Alabama next year.

Alabama Offensive Consultant: where washed up former head coaches go to die

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Joey Jones out at South Alabama

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/932758351439466496

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

So if (when) Florida hires Willie Taggart, can we at least keep Jim Leavitt? Player abuse aside, he's doing miracles for the defense.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Maxwells Demon posted:

So if (when) Florida hires Willie Taggart, can we at least keep Jim Leavitt? Player abuse aside, he's doing miracles for the defense.

Is that really a thing? Doesn't feel like it, but I keep seeing it pop in random places. It'd be hard to imagine him leaving Oregon after a year.

Or is it wishful thinking? Y'all not like him up there?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

an adult beverage posted:

Alabama Offensive Consultant: where washed up former head coaches go to die

His record is good enough on paper that I have a hard time believing he won’t be able to get another head coaching job. His name is already coming up for open jobs now.

LeeMajors posted:

Is that really a thing? Doesn't feel like it, but I keep seeing it pop in random places. It'd be hard to imagine him leaving Oregon after a year.

Or is it wishful thinking? Y'all not like him up there?

I think the idea is that he’d be open to leaving because he’s from Florida and can recruit easier there

MourningView fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 21, 2017

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

His record is good enough on paper that I have a hard time believing he won’t be able to get another head coaching job. His name is already coming up for open jobs now.

probably depends on what opens up once things start resolving at the top, but yeah i would guess if he wants a G6 or lower p5 job he can get it

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
McMurphy used to be the USF beatwriter, so at minimum the Leavitt story came from his agent, if not him. Leavitt's also a crazy person btw.

MourningView posted:

He’s was the coach last year. Because what better way to endear yourself to an extremely uninterested new market than with the excitement of Jeff Fisher?

I don’t think he’s in LA, but he’s from here and played at USC so he always inevitably gets mentioned when jobs at one of the local teams open up. UCLA isn’t as good a job as people want to pretend it is because of location (it’s like west coast Illinois in that regard) but it can obviously do way better than Fisher

It's not like it's in Riverside and they've been more successful. It's more they've been kinda meh and should be much better. The fit isn't perfect, but if anything, it's like west coast Texas or Florida. People forget how good they've been.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Kim Jong Il posted:

It's not like it's in Riverside and they've been more successful. It's more they've been kinda meh and should be much better. The fit isn't perfect, but if anything, it's like west coast Texas or Florida. People forget how good they've been.

Yeah, UCLA was really fun in the late 90s w/ Skip Hicks and Cade McNown.

Was it 98 they were undefeated super late in the year w/ Kansas St and they both lost in the final weeks? Bitter disappointment and we ended up with a mediocre Rooster-led FSU facing off against the luckiest Tennessee team in history for the BCS title :fuckoff:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They’ve been mostly average at best since the 80s outside of a couple big years early in the Bob Toledo run and even that’s like 20 years ago now. It’s been awhile. As mentioned football isn’t a huge priority and they don’t have great facilities. They’re a distant second behind basketball at UCLA and way behind USC football in LA. It’s definitely not a terrible job and like just about anyone they can be great if they make an awesome hire, but it’s not as easy a place to win as people seem to think.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

They’ve been mostly average at best since the 80s outside of a couple big years early in the Bob Toledo run and even that’s like 20 years ago now. It’s been awhile. As mentioned football isn’t a huge priority and they don’t have great facilities. They’re a distant second behind basketball at UCLA and way behind USC football in LA. It’s definitely not a terrible job and like just about anyone they can be great if they make an awesome hire, but it’s not as easy a place to win as people seem to think.

I mean part of it is UCLA does or did everything on the cheap.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

LeeMajors posted:

Was it 98 they were undefeated super late in the year w/ Kansas St and they both lost in the final weeks? Bitter disappointment and we ended up with a mediocre Rooster-led FSU facing off against the luckiest Tennessee team in history for the BCS title :fuckoff:

That was a good year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I mean part of it is UCLA does or did everything on the cheap.

man I almost literally say that in the post

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
From top to bottom, the PAC12 is a strong conference. UCLA doesn't seem particularly appealing unless there's a strong personal preference for coaching in L.A.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Seems like the low expectations would be a plus (depending on your personality type), though I guess that's a double-edged sword because that same apathy makes it hard to get any improvements made with facilities or assistants budget or whatever.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

'98 UCLA didn't play a lick of defense and were just asking to get knocked off. Da U did it on that last fateful weekend. (The game had been rescheduled from September because of a hurricane.)

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 21, 2017

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

D.N. Nation posted:

'98 UCLA didn't play a lick of defense and were just asking to get knocked off. Da U did it on that last fateful weekend. (The game had been rescheduled from September because of a hurricane.)

If I remember correctly after the game was over a fan went up to an on the field camera (or was to a UCLA player), and did the D-Generation X crotch thing.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Hearing Greg Schiano being mentioned for the Tennessee job. I don’t think I could think of a more underwhelming name if that turns out to happen.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Hearing Greg Schiano being mentioned for the Tennessee job. I don’t think I could think of a more underwhelming name if that turns out to happen.

Considering he made a program, somehow, out of Rutgers...

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Schiano is an rear end in a top hat but he’s a really good coach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
*college coach

• Locked thread