Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Shadow of War has me getting back into this. It's been a while since I've played but I was a VIP in the past. Are there any must haves to spend my ~2500 points on as a Premium player? Or am I better served resubscribing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

SettingSun posted:

Shadow of War has me getting back into this. It's been a while since I've played but I was a VIP in the past. Are there any must haves to spend my ~2500 points on as a Premium player? Or am I better served resubscribing?

Welcome back, you'd have to let us know your level(s) and which content you already own: Generally the cheapest thing to do is to buy a month (or three) of VIP, get every class you want to consider maining up to level 48-50 because expansion packs don't come with VIP, so you can let it run out then buy Moria or (name of next expansion pack you're missing) with points, or for 5 or 10 bucks during a summer or winter sale.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Holy loving poo poo, The expansion is now MORDOR?

Wow, I remember buying this thing at launch, subscription and all.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

:siren: Code MORDORMITHRIL for free 50 mithril coins. Good until the 22nd.

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
Still waiting on that expansion sale because there's no way I'm paying full price for something released four years ago.

Pugzilla
Feb 25, 2011

M_Sinistrari posted:

:siren: Code MORDORMITHRIL for free 50 mithril coins. Good until the 22nd.

Thanks for the post! This will come in handy.

UPDATE: I used it and it worked. Thanks again!

Pugzilla fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 18, 2017

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?659472-Update-21-2-3-Release-Notes

Patch notes, nothing too exciting but a bump. And the raid was on the test server with only 1 or 2 bosses ready for testing, but still that means it's coming. On bullroarer you needed 200 Light of Earendil to run it safely.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Is Guardian hideously slow to solo right now? I know it's been both bad and good at various points in the game's history. Been ages since I played this and kinda feel like playing a tanky dwarf in a glorious dress.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Hello Sailor posted:

Is Guardian hideously slow to solo right now? I know it's been both bad and good at various points in the game's history. Been ages since I played this and kinda feel like playing a tanky dwarf in a glorious dress.

It's not hideous (Captain is definitely hideous) but it's slower than hunter/loremaster

Probably the best heavy armor class to solo level up since Champions aren't that survivable (at least in my experience). Red-line spec and stick your axe in people.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Lum_ posted:

It's not hideous (Captain is definitely hideous)

You jerks should try being a burglar.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
Re-reactivated for my nth year of "WinterMMO addiction". Durdling around as 73 LM Osrandir.

Lars fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Nov 13, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

How do the classes stack up? Been looking at trying this out lately, game looks real cozy, but any advice on characters would be nice.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Yardbomb posted:

How do the classes stack up? Been looking at trying this out lately, game looks real cozy, but any advice on characters would be nice.

My experience:

Hunter -
pro: great class for new players, can do absolutely ridiculous amounts of single target damage, has lots of abilities that make it easy to travel and escape from battle
con: not great armor, kind of a glass cannon (though has some self-heals that mitigate this to a large degree), most popular class so everyone will assume you're an idiot

Beorning -
pro: you turn into a giant bear and kill things, you can do some healing, you can make your own honey
con: not a free class, playstyle takes some getting used to since you have to balance your going bear-crazed with being a not-bear

Loremaster -
pro: Literally Gandalf, pets have been buffed to almost play the entire game for you, best crowd control by far in the game, your own damage is not shabby
con: tons of abilities make the class hard to learn to play effectively and pets make you not bother to

Guardian -
pro: you're a walking tank and can't be killed, easy to learn compared to many other classes
con: it takes forever to kill anything compared to many other classes

Champion -
pro: a damage class that wears heavy armor, probably the best AOE damage in the game, playstyle encourages just running into things and killing
con: not a lot of self-healing ability means if you don't kill everything you're probably dead, not a lot of utility

Burglar -
pro: Literally Bilbo, stealth, lots of fun tricks
con: no armor and little survivability makes the class very slow to progress despite stealth

Warden:
pro: you can do anything. Tank like a guardian! DPS like a champion! Teleport around the world like a hunter!
con: not a free class, ridiculously hard to learn (class plays like a fighting game with combos you need to memorize)

Captain: (never really played)
pro: I dunno
con: no one really likes it

Minstrel: (never really played)
pro: you move fast, do damage, best healer in the game
con: you yell at people all day, this is not nearly as fun as it sounds

Runekeeper: (never really played)
pro: standard MMO wizard class, lots of damage, can heal
con: Not a free class, standard MMO wizard class

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I always raised an eyebrow at the class inspiration of the guardian being Sam. I mean, it was clearly actually Boromir. Wore a shield, their class items are belts, etc. Same with the lore-master being obviously Gandalf and the captain is Aragorn during Return of the King.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Also, LOTRO has stages to play through as a free player to think about:

level 1-20: play completely for free, by level 20 you KIND of have a basic idea of the class (some classes like Loremaster don't really take off until around this level)

level 20-50: Wait, I have to buy things? Yes, you're going to have to buy some quest packs to progress, or just buy a month's subscription (it's recommended you do this at least once on a character, it saves you money by unlocking a lot of things for the life of the character). Note that you'll still need to buy expansions even if subscribing. If buying quest packs you'll want Lone-Lands, Evendim, and then some combination of Forochel, Eregion, and buying XP boosters (levels 40-45 in particular are hard to get through). Note that once you buy a quest pack you never have to buy it for another character, ever.

level 50-60: get Moria, it's some of the best content in the game and will take you into the early 60s

level 60-65: finish out Moria unless you're tired of being underground helping derpy dwarves, the Mirkwood pack is great, Enedwaith pack is kind of meh

level 65-75: Isengard pack, Dunland pack, Great River pack (pick two)

level 75-95: "enjoy" the Rohan and Helms Deep expansions, it's your only choice.

level 95-105: Finally out of Rohan, YAY. Gondor is MUCH better. Packs in order are West Gondor, Central Gondor, East Gondor, Old Anorien (aka Minas Tirith). By that time you should be at 105 and can safely skip the last two (March of the King, Battle of the Black Gate), you get the story content for free regardless.

level 105-115: Mordor, where the monsters that will kick your butt lie (seriously, the difficulty level in Mordor jumps significantly, picking up a level or two beforehand is recommended)

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 14, 2017

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

SettingSun posted:

I always raised an eyebrow at the class inspiration of the guardian being Sam. I mean, it was clearly actually Boromir. Wore a shield, their class items are belts, etc. Same with the lore-master being obviously Gandalf and the captain is Aragorn during Return of the King.

clearly you missed the scene in Return of the King where Sam strapped on full plate and tanked 50 orcs while Frodo stealthed around back to turn in the One Ring quest.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lum_ posted:

My experience:
Warden:
pro: you can do anything. Tank like a guardian! DPS like a champion! Teleport around the world like a hunter!
con: not a free class, ridiculously hard to learn (class plays like a fighting game with combos you need to memorize)

Warden is the first class I leveled up to 100, at first the gambit system seems hard but I found it easier than playing other classes because 90% of the time I'm only using 4 buttons on my toolbar. The gambits have a logical pattern to them and once you recognize that pattern it all flows naturally.

The great thing about warden is all the stacking AOE bleeds and lifetaps; if you have a quest to kill 8 orcs you can just run into the orc camp, stack up 8 orcs and melee them all down at once. Wardens also get a out of combat run speed buff and can unlock fast travel to other zones via reputation skills.

Lum_ posted:

You can mute combat sounds or even use the filter panel (Ctrl-R I think) to filter out just your scream sounds. Captains, wardens and minstrels are all very screamy and that filter panel makes the game much more enjoyable.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Hot drat, thanks for the write-ups, guess I might try out a champion or minstrel first and see how all that goes.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I still haven't came back for Mordor. Now that it's had some patches, and people have had time...

After you get past the initial level or two, is it still overtuned? Or it more "normal"? I don't need faceroll like a lot of previous content, but I don't want every 1v1 to be a life-and-death battle when I have to get past 15 trash enemiesto click a thing, then past respawns again.

The landscape content, is it any better/worse than the past few years?

Just doing the landscape stuff (not the dailies or anything else, just the 1-time quests) - how long would you guesstimate? 10 hours? 20?

Are the new instances in yet? People running them in PUGs regularly or need to join an active guild? I'm still in the goon guild, never cared enough to leave.

Thanks guys. Starting to get the itch again. I usually do all the landscape stuff, then do dailies for a few weeks until I round out a set of gear from daily featured instances and dailies, then take a break again.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Lum_ posted:

Also, LOTRO has stages to play through as a free player to think about :

level 1-20: play completely for free, by level 20 you KIND of have a basic idea of the class (some classes like Loremaster don't really take off until around this level)

level 20-50: Wait, I have to buy things? Yes, you're going to have to buy some quest packs to progress, or just buy a month's subscription (it's recommended you do this at least once on a character, it saves you money by unlocking a lot of things for the life of the character). Note that you'll still need to buy expansions even if subscribing. If buying quest packs you'll want Lone-Lands, Evendim, and then some combination of Forochel, Eregion, and buying XP boosters (levels 40-45 in particular are hard to get through). Note that once you buy a quest pack you never have to buy it for another character, ever.

level 50-60: get Moria, it's some of the best content in the game and will take you into the early 60s

level 60-65: finish out Moria unless you're tired of being underground helping derpy dwarves, the Mirkwood pack is great, Enedwaith pack is kind of meh

level 65-75: Isengard pack, Dunland pack, Great River pack (pick two)

level 75-95: "enjoy" the Rohan and Helms Deep expansions, it's your only choice.

level 95-105: Finally out of Rohan, YAY. Gondor is MUCH better. Packs in order are West Gondor, Central Gondor, East Gondor, Old Anorien (aka Minas Tirith). By that time you should be at 105 and can safely skip the last two (March of the King, Battle of the Black Gate), you get the story content for free regardless.

level 105-115: Mordor, where the monsters that will kick your butt lie (seriously, the difficulty level in Mordor jumps significantly, picking up a level or two beforehand is recommended)
Few quick points:

F2P actually gets you up to 32-35ish.

You want to start Moria's intro the second you hit 45 so you can unlock your first Legendary weapon. Moria is fuckin' awesome. Run the 6-mans at least once so you can see how LotRO used to hold it's own vs WoW.

Mirkwood has an instance type called Skirmishes. They're kinda fun, IMO.

Dunland really sucks. Skip straight to Great River if at all possible. That said, Orthanc's dungeons & raids were the last good group content prior to Gondor/Mordor. Run them if you get the chance.

Riders of Rohan itself is simply mediocre. Helm's Derp is awful. Many people find Warsteeds to be a letdown. YMMV. Epic Battles are an abomination.

Intermingled with the 2 Rohan expacs are Wildermore & Fangorn. Sadly, both suck really badly.

In between Rohan & Gondor lies The Paths of the Dead. It sucks.

Gondor is really good compared to Rohan, but Minas Tirith has issues in regards to quest flow and PC performance. Even my high end gaming rig crashes frequently there.

Lum_ posted:

My experience:

Loremaster -
pro: Literally Gandalf, pets have been buffed to almost play the entire game for you, best crowd control by far in the game, your own damage is not shabby
con: tons of abilities make the class hard to learn to play effectively and pets make you not bother to

Captain: (never really played)
pro: I dunno
con: no one really likes it

Runekeeper: (never really played)
pro: standard MMO wizard class, lots of damage, can heal
con: Not a free class, standard MMO wizard class

I agree 100% about Lore Masters. The class has tons of depth, but the pets make learning everything unnecessary.

You need to roll a Captain. :)
They have things in common with Wardens, Guardians & LMs. Like a Warden, they can do a little bit of everything. Like a Lore Master, they have a pet & tons of buttons(pet is more of a sidekick than a tank though). A common complaint is that they're slow levelers like Guardians. YMMV. They're a super useful class for groups and not at all unfun.

You need to roll a Minstrel. Super fun, super fast levelers.

Rune Keepers are really good at DPS & Healing. worth checking out.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

How flexible is pet choice in levelling a loremaster? Back at launch I loved the concept of just running around with a raven buddy but as new pets unlocked of course it kind of went by the wayside.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Trebuchet King posted:

How flexible is pet choice in levelling a loremaster? Back at launch I loved the concept of just running around with a raven buddy but as new pets unlocked of course it kind of went by the wayside.

Eh, they are mostly situational. Bear has a huge HP pool and defense stats and generates quite a bit of single-target threat, so it can be used to tank elites etc for long periods of time. The lynx does a lot of burst DPS including some AOE and is useful for taking down small groups of normal mobs. The Raven procs flanks like crazy and has some decent debuffs and buffs your tactical mitigation (i.e. good in boss fights in 6-man content). The sabertooth cat has an aoe normal attack that is really good for farming low-level (grey'd out) stuff. The healing spirit is semi-useful if you're in a 3-man group that doesn't have a dedicated healing class. The bog-guardian is the only ranged one, so it can be very useful at times where you do not want your pet running around pulling agro. The eagle has a self-revive and a power-regen buff, I usually would only bother using it if I specifically need the self-revive or if there is another loremaster already using a raven in a 6-man group.

They all have their uses. Most of the time running around doing landscape content I just use the bear or the lynx depending on whether I need more ability to keep stuff off of me or burst dps.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Bear is a LOT more useful in Mordor where multiple pulls can kill a lynx and losing aggro can kill you. Prior to that I just used lynx or bog guardian. I've heard the eagle's resurrect ability doesn't always go off.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Lum_ posted:

Bear is a LOT more useful in Mordor where multiple pulls can kill a lynx and losing aggro can kill you. Prior to that I just used lynx or bog guardian. I've heard the eagle's resurrect ability doesn't always go off.

Yeah the eagle res can be unreliable to be sure. And I 100% agree with the Bear being more useful in Mordor. Especially in some of the areas where you are forced to push down long corridors with mobs at every turn. You can actually use the bear to lead ahead of you pulling a chain of mobs and then run them off whenever you finally get to your destination, thus avoiding having to kill like 50 mobs in the process. The bear is stout enough to tank about 10 roughly even-leveled mobs for several minutes. You just have to be reaaaaaly careful not to heal the bear (or yourself if you are in close proximity) because you'll end up pulling agro on all that stuff at once which obviously has very deadly consequences.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SettingSun posted:

I always raised an eyebrow at the class inspiration of the guardian being Sam. I mean, it was clearly actually Boromir.

The in-game reason is that someone misheard "gardener".

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Consider the raid on Cirith Ungol, where he alone causes enough trouble that the Orcs think he's an Elf, a raid of Men, or both together. Consider the desperate fight against Shelob. These are their reasonings.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Runekeeper from when I played has a really cool dps/healing balance meter mechanic, if you go too far into dps you heal for poo poo but explode assholes and vice versa. I remember really enjoying it in groups, but that's back when they added it so it is probably a bit different these days.
Plus like you bash monsters faces in with magical rocks, which is pretty great.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I re-installed this for the first time in months, then ran up and down minas tirith for an hour doing stupid errands on the legendary quest, then uninstalled. I forgot how, unlike Shadow of War where you're a badass half-wraith orc-slaughtering hero, here you're the Middle Earth equivalent of an UberEats driver for Pippin.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Are you saying delivering the mail isn't heroic?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I always loved playing a captain. A good captain can really save everyone’s rear end.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
http://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/letter-executive-producer-rob-ciccolini-look-ahead

After they finish the raid sometime this end of the year they'll begin working on taking us into Northern Mirkwood through Thranduil's Court, Dale, Laketown and Erebor. I imagine that'll take a good chunk of 2018 to finish.

Update 21.3 will feature new Housing Items, some of which will be found in the raid, others will be available through the Quartermaster in-game, and a few will be available in Gorgoroth Lootboxes. Speaking of new stuff, the Yule Festival will see new cosmetics, including a woodland crown, a new Winter dress, and a new Yule-themed cloak. Additionally, we have long heard players request the ability to have an Elk mount which will be offered in addition to two new cosmetic pets.

2018 also includes avatar updates for hobbit and dwarf but they'll probably be worse than the old ones so I'm skipping this.

For our musicians in LOTRO, we're excited to announce that a new instrument is being added to the music system: The fiddle! We expect this new instrument to debut in Update 22.

Looking beyond Update 22, we know you have been asking to see even more classic moments from the trilogy. We have a way to go before we see Aragorn and Arwen's wedding, but we intend to bring you other well-known parts of the book. In Update 23, we intend to visit Minas Morgul, and say a fearful hello to Shelob herself.

Also included is a vague promise of class balancing and bug fixing, updates to festivals yada yada. So it'll be a great Yule festival, a 3 boss raid, then eventually loving Erebor. All great in theory.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Did they already update models for humans and elves? I updated my graphics card since the last time I played, cranked all the settings to max, and was so appalled at how rubbish my new dwarf looked that I gave up. But I could give Warden another go.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
ehhhh would have rather gone south into umbar/harad. We've had enough Hobbit callbacks and there could be interesting gameplay in dealing with the southrons vs. gondor

Hello Sailor posted:

Did they already update models for humans and elves? I updated my graphics card since the last time I played, cranked all the settings to max, and was so appalled at how rubbish my new dwarf looked that I gave up. But I could give Warden another go.

yeah and just humans/elves, your dwarf is still the same. The update is really very very minor.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I haven't really played in a few months now, but logging in my toons a few weeks back was quite a shock. Do you guys agree that the new models look like absolute poo poo, or are their a few goons that actually like them or are just straight up ambivalent about it? They're really, really bad IMO.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

When I was making my couple characters recently I liked the updated elf faces over the old ones. :shrug:

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I think if you saw the difference between the avatar upgrades in WoW and expected something similar, you were bound to be disappointed. I could barely tell the difference, myself.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
The elves are slightly better, the humans are virtually unchanged.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 22, 2017

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

When can you buy the new expansion stuff with the turbine (or whatever it is now) money?

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
While I'm still updating and can't confirm, according to the launcher the in-game store is allowing you to buy it starting today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
You can now buy Mordor with Gandalf Funbucks.

Also, the expansions are now on sale as well as a bunch of other stuff!

https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/lotro-beacon-issue-36

:getin: