Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Samizdata posted:

No, there's an open source tool called DNSBench. While you are screaming about Google, maybe try it. Also, please note I said "If you have a Linux box".
Literally the only other thing you could be talking about is this, but that requires a Go interpreter and not Linux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
This is nice because level3 recently started doing automatic redirects to a lovely search & ads page, and they were my 2nd slot after google.

e: also I'm writing a DNS benchmark that runs on java, node.js, and a electron-based frontend

Klyith fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 17, 2017

mewse
May 2, 2006

Klyith posted:

e: also I'm writing a DNS benchmark that runs on java, node.js, and a electron-based frontend

See you at techcrunch

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
I might agree that Gibson is a bit opinionated but he provides tools and services that can be very useful. I will always respect him for providing a free port scan service in TYOOL 1999 when I was a young idiot kid who knew nothing but could at least scan his own ports thanks to Steve. The "Gibson is a fool" bandwagon is rather a short bus - don't get on it for no reason.

That being that, is there merit to the claim that DNS performance has a meaningful impact on real world internet usage? I would assume any DNS queries are cached, which makes it irrelevant for the vast majority of requests. Am I mistaken in this?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

anthonypants posted:

Literally the only other thing you could be talking about is this, but that requires a Go interpreter and not Linux.

Dunno. I always just found it in the Debian/Ubuntu repos.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Klyith posted:

This is nice because level3 recently started doing automatic redirects to a lovely search & ads page, and they were my 2nd slot after google.

I hope you're not rolling your own crypto

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

EssOEss posted:

I might agree that Gibson is a bit opinionated but he provides tools and services that can be very useful. I will always respect him for providing a free port scan service in TYOOL 1999 when I was a young idiot kid who knew nothing but could at least scan his own ports thanks to Steve. The "Gibson is a fool" bandwagon is rather a short bus - don't get on it for no reason.

That being that, is there merit to the claim that DNS performance has a meaningful impact on real world internet usage? I would assume any DNS queries are cached, which makes it irrelevant for the vast majority of requests. Am I mistaken in this?

I've been on this train for years namely because I've been at this for far too long You are correct in that he has provided a lot of useful tools but out of principle I refuse to give him any attention due to some of the nonsense I have had come up in my line of work due to the things he has said.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

EssOEss posted:

Cache lifetime is shorter these days and with the proliferation of CDNs with dynamically generated subdomains and wildcard certs the likelihood of getting a cache miss is going up. Dynamic page content can lead to multiple rounds of DNS queries as content loads and executes, resulting in DNS query delays cumulating. HTTP2 is supposed to improve that situation but that's down the road.

Keep in mind that back in the day when this tool was first written, ISP DNS servers sucked rear end and were a regular cause of outages. They were overloaded, underpowered, and unreliable and it was often a better option to point at someone else's further upstream. They've improved a lot since then and we take reliable and fast DNS for granted, but if you want to throw filtering in the mix its best to do your homework and make sure you're now slowing things down excessively.

Just now I loaded up the yahoo news site as a worst offender test case and it took a good 90s to load the base content with 1.3k requests and 25MB+ of transfer. Each connection to a fresh domain that wasn't hitting cache incurred something in the range of 25-1500+ms of latency on the DNS query.

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 17, 2017

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

anthonypants posted:

There's dnsperf (in FreeBSD ports, so probably also in a repository near you), so maybe that's what they were talking about? And because I've apparently got nothing better to do, here's something useless.

If anyone's gonna throw any numbers real meaningful numbers around, I expect to see both Linux and FreeBSD benched with dtrace down to nano-second time-scale, and preferably in a published paper with an associated glamour name to hype it up, because why the gently caress not.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure how I feel about a public DNS server making decisions on how requests should be handled with respect to adware, malware and other stuff.
It's one thing for me to use void-zone-tools with unbound on my local network, but entirely another for a public server to decide what should be done about it - but maybe that's because I live in a country with actual DNS censorship implemented at ISP levels (in Denmark, it's technically not enforced, but because its first incarnation was so successful, it's now used to block everything from thepiratebay to shady pharmaceuticals), so I'm sort of in the mindset that public DNS servers should not try to block anything for any reason.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 18, 2017

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Sure, okay.

https://twitter.com/jessysaurusrex/status/932013169387679744

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Meh.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gotta agree. After the pure gently caress up of Equifax releasing all information you would assume be super secure including the addition of the fun stuff like work history and and salary history (so anyone can fill out applications way better than you ever could - they know when you stopped working at a company down to the loving day) every leak just seems like a "meh".

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

FFS, government people. FFS. At least if you are going to mass eavesdrop civilians for no reason, perform some basic security...

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
I kinda want that data set.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I kinda want the "we surveiled nazis" version of that data set instead of the "we surveiled muslims" one, but I don't think anyone outside academia is collecting it

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

I kinda want the "we surveiled nazis" version of that data set instead of the "we surveiled muslims" one, but I don't think anyone outside academia is collecting it

Betcha somehow Troy Hunt ends up with a copy.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Samizdata posted:

Betcha somehow Troy Hunt ends up with a copy.

It's weird how people get lovely about darknet leak sales, but Troy can sell subscriptions and nobody gives a poo poo.

Edit: Honestly I just wish he charged less.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

yoloer420 posted:

It's weird how people get lovely about darknet leak sales, but Troy can sell subscriptions and nobody gives a poo poo.

Edit: Honestly I just wish he charged less.

I wasn't complaining per se. I use his HaveYouBeenPwned service. No worries as I use unique passwords and all that, but I just don't have enough stuff in my life to raise my blood pressure with... :roflolmao:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

OWASP Top 10 for 2017 are out, if anyone is interested: https://www.owasp.org/images/7/72/OWASP_Top_10-2017_%28en%29.pdf.pdf

Big surprise:

1 - Injection
2 - Broken Authentication
3 - Sensitive Data Exposure
4 - XML External Entities
5 - Broken Access Control
6 - Security Misconfiguration
7 - Cross-Site Scripting
8 - Insecure Deserialization
9 - Using Components with Known Vulnerabilities
10 - Insufficient Logging & Monitoring

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

OWASP Top 10 for 2017 are out, if anyone is interested: https://www.owasp.org/images/7/72/OWASP_Top_10-2017_%28en%29.pdf.pdf

Big surprise:

1 - Injection
2 - Broken Authentication
3 - Sensitive Data Exposure
4 - XML External Entities
5 - Broken Access Control
6 - Security Misconfiguration
7 - Cross-Site Scripting
8 - Insecure Deserialization
9 - Using Components with Known Vulnerabilities
10 - Insufficient Logging & Monitoring

Personally, I'm stunned, just stunned at the top 10. Who could have seen these coming?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Have a fun week, everyone

https://twitter.com/x0rz/status/932717622780624896

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

New ones? God drat it Intel.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Thanks, Intel.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
I got redirected here with an amateur question. Somebody received a spam email, spoofing my account. The email address is not any that I own but the header is my name - which is interesting because I never put my full name in these things.

I am trying to figure out, what, if anything is compromised, where they got our info from, my next steps, and what I can do to prevent or mitigate this in the future.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Testikles posted:

I got redirected here with an amateur question. Somebody received a spam email, spoofing my account. The email address is not any that I own but the header is my name - which is interesting because I never put my full name in these things.

I am trying to figure out, what, if anything is compromised, where they got our info from, my next steps, and what I can do to prevent or mitigate this in the future.
Doesn't necessarily mean anything is 'compromised', but your identity is everywhere these days, so they could have gotten it anywhere. Whoever received the spam might have shared their contacts or friends list to a shady app/site, so it's spamming them with names they'd recognize (that's a wild guess, it could be a million things), but yeah if it's not actually from your address there isn't a ton you can do.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Testikles posted:

Likely answer is someone else's contact list. They got infected, and had the contact list scraped. They're using your name as it's stored in the contact, but with the scammer's email address but shotgunned out to all the members of that list. Recipients recognize the Proper Name and the scammers are banking on people not looking any closer at the email address.

E: or what wyoak says^^

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Testikles posted:

The first step in investigating this will be to find out if this person has your name in their email contacts list, and if that contacts list has been shared with a third-party site, such as LinkedIn or Facebook. The second step would be to find out if anyone else connected with this individual has your name in their email contacts list, and if that contacts list has been shared with a third party. The third step would be to find out if anyone connected to that individual

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Testikles posted:

Get a password manager. If you already have one, change all your passwords. Turn on 2FA.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Get a password manager. If you already have one, change all your passwords. Turn on 2FA.

Seriously? It sounds like someone is just using his name as a display name.

Yes, you should have 2FA. Yes, you should have a password manager. Change all your passwords? How is that going to help in this situation?

Something like this is so incredibly common. It's not even actually "spoofing" anything. The guy said it's not even an email that he owns.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

gently caress yeah more intel firmware issues

Oh cool a fellow good had his or her email and name associated, and if that person's name and phone number or ssn are associated in the great public trove of info, any enterprising child with a convincing act can harass pretty much any company's customer service into doing anything, so that's cool

Net neutrality is on the gallows, but who loving cares so long as we deport brown people amrite? Also, your isp is commercially using your browsing data as of months ago, but who loving cares again because state surveillance has been taking place forever, at least someone is now making a quick buck along the way

My break room is out of earl gray and throat coat at the same time

gently caress.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Internet Explorer posted:

Seriously? It sounds like someone is just using his name as a display name.

Yes, you should have 2FA. Yes, you should have a password manager. Change all your passwords? How is that going to help in this situation?

Something like this is so incredibly common. It's not even actually "spoofing" anything. The guy said it's not even an email that he owns.

All advice from this thread should include a footnote "change your passwords again" because we're going to learn five years from now that X company suffered Y breach compromising all personal and auth data on Z millions of users

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

That Guam Goon bar is sounding better and better

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Thanks for all the information everybody. It saves me from a lot of work.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

So how is this net neutrality thing being voted and when

I wanna be here when it goes through

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

orange sky posted:

So how is this net neutrality thing being voted and when

I wanna be here when it goes through
https://www.fcc.gov/news-events/events/open-commission-meetings

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Fcc rule vote

Donald Trump could do something about this, but why the gently caress would the loving swamp monster do something about it? He specifically appointed this FCC chairman with this specific agenda, because gently caress you, gently caress me, gently caress us all

Freedom and poo poo, apparently.

efb

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

All advice from this thread should include a footnote "change your passwords again" because we're going to learn five years from now that X company suffered Y breach compromising all personal and auth data on Z millions of users

Not a bad idea signing up for alerts at https://haveibeenpwned.com/ either.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Shodan has a big discount this weekend

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

:lol:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/11/report-uber-paid-hackers-100000-to-keep-2016-data-breach-quiet/

quote:

In a public statement, Uber has announced that it sustained a massive data breach in 2016: 57 million customers’ and drivers’ names, e-mail addresses, and phone numbers were compromised.

Bloomberg also noted that Uber paid hackers $100,000 to delete the data and not publicize the breach. At the time of the breach, Uber was negotiating with federal regulators over different privacy concerns.

In a statement published Tuesday morning, Uber’s CEO, Dara Khosrowshahi, who took over the company’s top job earlier this year from co-founder Travis Kalanick, seemed to express astonishment over the incident.

“You may be asking why we are just talking about this now, a year later,” he wrote in a blog post published on Tuesday morning. “I had the same question, so I immediately asked for a thorough investigation of what happened and how we handled it.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lol Uber is burning piles of tyres all the way down