Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

maybe just maybe it's time to put equation editor out to pasture

you trust modern ms to make something backwards compatible with all .doc files? if not old unpatched versions will have to be floating around on people’s computers waiting to be exploited

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

CommunistPancake posted:

in the adapter settings there's seperate sections for ipv4 and v6, so if you have it set up with a specific gateway and dns and what not on ipv4, those settings i believe won't apply for ipv6
are you unfamiliar with dhcp

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

nothing but love for those kicking win98 getting started jams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTf806u38Ng

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

can the win10 pro version adjust the default defender's protected folders via gpo or something?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

hobbesmaster posted:

you trust modern ms to make something backwards compatible with all .doc files?

I was legit disappointed when I found Word on my iPad couldn’t open a Word 4.0a for Macintosh document

what happened to Microsoft’s vaunted “compatibility über alles” approach to developing their flagship software?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

eschaton posted:

I was legit disappointed when I found Word on my iPad couldn’t open a Word 4.0a for Macintosh document

what happened to Microsoft’s vaunted “compatibility über alles” approach to developing their flagship software?

The Mac versions of office have been and always will be inferior.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

anthonypants posted:

are you unfamiliar with dhcp

i am sorry for suggesting that there might be some change on your end to override dhcp settings. thank you and God Bless.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

nothing but love for those kicking win98 getting started jams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTf806u38Ng

i had an involuntary cringe when the first guitar riff happened

being a dumb kid on the family computer led to at least a few emergency re-installs of that OS

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Surface Book 2 is aimed at graphic pros, but with a stout NVIDIA 1060 GPU, it's a tempting gaming machine, too. As we observed during our review, gaming drains the battery pretty fast, though. Worse, The Verge noticed that the power supply can't actually charge the battery fast enough to prevent it from draining in some cases.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The Surface Book 2 is aimed at graphic pros, but with a stout NVIDIA 1060 GPU, it's a tempting gaming machine, too. As we observed during our review, gaming drains the battery pretty fast, though. Worse, The Verge noticed that the power supply can't actually charge the battery fast enough to prevent it from draining in some cases.

isn't "max power draw less than the charge rate" like the barest minimum of things you need to figure out when designing a battery powered device?

:pcgaming: ruins everything it touches

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

it was probably designed that way so the power brick didn't have to be massive.

or maybe it's limited by whatever you can push though usb-c.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
Huh. Maybe they should think about hiring some people to do QA.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Fiedler posted:

Huh. Maybe they should think about hiring some people to do QA.

they'd just fire them again once the bugs were found and "fixed"

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

“Surface Book 2 was designed to deliver unmatched power and performance for anyone who needs a powerful machine to work and create, making it a great option for STEM professionals (designers, developers, engineers),”

how is this a good thing you stupid Microsoft fucks. this will happen in a range of intensive stem software, not just games, so it’s worthless for long stints of work

qirex posted:

isn't "max power draw less than the charge rate" like the barest minimum of things you need to figure out when designing a battery powered device?

:pcgaming: ruins everything it touches

it’s completely unacceptable. Verge score: 7.5

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

cinci zoo sniper posted:

so i guess nobody at microsoft actually bothered to sit down and use the surface book intensively at any point during development lol

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

so i guess nobody at microsoft actually bothered to sit down and use the surface book intensively at any point during development lol

tbf i wouldnt use it either

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

this is obvious because they put a dang carpet on the latest one

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Boiled Water posted:

yeah, seems to be this, the power brick pushed 95W and the usb-c max is 100W, should have stuck with the proprietary connector of the previous generations

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Boiled Water posted:

usb-c does 100W so Nah

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

usb-c does 100W so Nah

the 1060 in the surface book is rated for 80w and the i7 for another 25w, so, yeah, that is the limiting factor here

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

the verge says even the 120w surface power brick isn't enough to keep it topped up

turns out devices can use more than 100Ws who would have thought.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

huh, I thought all the mobile gpu's topped out at 65W. Gr8 engineering over there.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

its almost like tdp is optimistic bullshit garbage :thunk:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

you can draw more power than 100w, it'll just be out of spec. dell does it with xps 15.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Tankakern posted:

you can draw more power than 100w, it'll just be out of spec. dell does it with xps 15.

i can't see this going wrong no siree

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

oh no it'll work great until someone plugs in an aftermarket power supply and sets another plane on fire

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

dell gots lots of auth going between their chargers/dockings, so it shouldn't be possible to draw more than 100w if you plug in something non-dell

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Tankakern posted:

it shouldn't be possible

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I miss the good old says of Hearty Honest Dell Laughs, like the Dell Steak. Or hiring a bunch of people dressed up as bikers and forcing all the employees at a branch office in to the entryway and people called the cops because they thought they were going to be robbed or executed.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
or their famous LCD panel lottery

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Tankakern posted:

dell gots lots of auth going between their chargers/dockings, so it shouldn't be possible to draw more than 100w if you plug in something non-dell

yeah it ignores chargers it doesn't recognize and regular spec chargers run at regular spec and you get a warning that its not enough to charge stuff during use.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
who designed usb-c, microsoft???????

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

I miss the good old says of Hearty Honest Dell Laughs, like the Dell Steak. Or hiring a bunch of people dressed up as bikers and forcing all the employees at a branch office in to the entryway and people called the cops because they thought they were going to be robbed or executed.

lol waaaaaaaaaat?
https://www.geek.com/geek-cetera/dell-masked-gunman-marketing-stunt-causes-panic-two-employees-arrested-1314665/

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lmao

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i miss the dell steak

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

uncurable mlady posted:

i miss the dell steak

i miss the clear blue sky

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

lmao gj Microsoft

just gonna keep using my i7 MacBook with a discrete gpu that only needs an 85w charger

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

NEED MORE MILK posted:

lmao gj Microsoft

just gonna keep using my i7 MacBook with a discrete gpu that only needs an 85w charger

uh, congratulations on your slow gpu i guess :confused:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
windows phone series 7 buries the competition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

pram posted:

windows phone series 7 buries the competition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQTemf043tw

here comes windows phone 11