Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

this is genuinely awesome :prepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/bonkers-builder-gives-vintage-volvo-a-38-liter-tank-engine/ar-BBFoEzX?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

That's certainly one hell of an upgrade :randstare:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

My favourite creation from the Roadkill UK thing was the MERCEDES DIESEL SWAPPED CHARGER.

There are sooooooooooooooooooooooooo many butthurt purist comments about the thing on instagram and facebook. It's wonderful :allears:

OM606 with a burly turbo on it. Paperwork said something like 750bhp and 1200Nm of torque.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 21, 2017

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Olympic Mathlete posted:

My favourite creation from the Roadkill UK thing was the MERCEDES DIESEL SWAPPED CHARGER.

There are sooooooooooooooooooooooooo many butthurt purist comments about the thing on instagram and facebook. It's wonderful :allears:

I used to be a little bit of a purist for stuff like this, still am in the context of I wouldn't be super excited about an LS1 in a Charger. But gently caress, OM606 or some other oddball swap? Go nuts, let me buy you a beer.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've lusted after a Porsche 928 ever since I saw the one in Risky Business but I read up about them and apparently their engines are very German -- like, drop-the-engine-to-replace-the-timing-belt-which-has-to-be-done-every-15,000-miles German.

So now I want a 928 with a blown engine so that I can stick in a little reliable 4-banger like a BP or K20 or something. Then I can take it to a Porsche meetup and bask in the withering stares :iamafag:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

I've lusted after a Porsche 928 ever since I saw the one in Risky Business but I read up about them and apparently their engines are very German -- like, drop-the-engine-to-replace-the-timing-belt-which-has-to-be-done-every-15,000-miles German.

So now I want a 928 with a blown engine so that I can stick in a little reliable 4-banger like a BP or K20 or something. Then I can take it to a Porsche meetup and bask in the withering stares :iamafag:

VW I4 TDI, at least keep it german

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

boxen posted:

I used to be a little bit of a purist for stuff like this, still am in the context of I wouldn't be super excited about an LS1 in a Charger. But gently caress, OM606 or some other oddball swap? Go nuts, let me buy you a beer.

same but as i got older i realized that if a person wants to keep a car that running well then by any means.

growing up i remember the roads having so much more variety to them. nowadays it's gotten to the point where even seeing a riced out civic is cool because they're doing something to customize their car beyond a bumper sticker and tinted windows

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Olympic Mathlete posted:

OM606 with a burly turbo on it. Paperwork said something like 750bhp and 1200Nm of torque.

This is insanely my poo poo.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

VR6

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Please tell me there is a version with audio. I love hearing the commentators react.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

boxen posted:

Putting an LS1 into anything nowadays just feels mundane.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Sagebrush posted:

One day, I will drop a Coyote in one. One day...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Falken posted:

Please tell me there is a version with audio. I love hearing the commentators react.

Until it shows up, you can try this version of the Verstappen save in Brazil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reDo3tOqK04

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm in the UK so I can count on one hand the number of LS's I've seen irl, but it's still great to see anything someone has put effort into.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

sneakyfrog posted:

:frog:

I enjoyed that interlude friend.

...all gone...like...oil, in gas.

Powershift posted:

VW I4 TDI, at least keep it german 1UZ, at least keep it DOHC V8

Fixed that for you.
gently caress, put "Porsche" on the cam covers and 90% of people wouldn't know the difference.

W8.

Oh, I got now: TDI V12 from a Toureg.

Q_res posted:

One day, I will drop a Coyote in one. One day...

I approve of this as well.

xzzy posted:

I love the "Holy poo poo!" and "gently caress that poo poo!" in the middle of all the German, presumably in a broadcast.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I think it's Dutch, which maybe explains the fluency with English swears.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

I think it's Dutch, which maybe explains the fluency with English swears.

Could be. I didn't listen carefully, just recognized some phonemes.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

:perfect:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Sagebrush posted:

Timing belt is usually quoted at a 16 hour job, 22+ if you do it yourself. A lot of people swap in American V8s for less electrical and vacuum fuckery.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Timing belt is usually quoted at a 16 hour job, 22+ if you do it yourself. A lot of people swap in American V8s for less electrical and vacuum fuckery.

The biggest pain in the rear end on the timing belt was really dealing with rusted bolts that broke, had to drill and re-tap one out. Took probably 12-16 hours, but I was also in a garage with a full as hell tool kit, a lift, and had 4 or 5 experienced 928 mechanics helping me out. DFW is a good place to own a 928.

I sold it because of the electrics, and the cost of replacing the transmission or rear end if I blew it. Seriously the electrics are a nightmare to work on. Loved the car though, looked great, sounded good. An LS swapped one would be wonderful.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

NitroSpazzz posted:

I think I'd want something smaller and more efficient so that it could truly cruise all day like a GT is supposed to. 2.0 EcoBoost maybe.

Then again it wouldn't have the V8 sound. Does anyone make a small (~3L), efficient, reliable V8? Is such a thing even possible?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Collateral Damage posted:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That's clean as gently caress

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

I think I'd want something smaller and more efficient so that it could truly cruise all day like a GT is supposed to. 2.0 EcoBoost maybe.

Then again it wouldn't have the V8 sound. Does anyone make a small (~3L), efficient, reliable V8? Is such a thing even possible?

Put a Buick/Rover 3.5 in it? Otherwise, bump up to a 4L 1UZ.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Is that a magazine project car? I was following one some time ago. Project Dark Horse in... Grassroots Motorsports?

edit:
Project Ugly Horse, Autoblog then Road & Track, and it seemed to have stalled out in 2014/15, with the engine and (Miata) trans mostly fitted, but nothing wired up or operational.

http://www.build-threads.com/build-threads/project-ugly-horse/

Even the last post from the builder on Twitter was 2014.

edit2:
Apparently, he quit his job, sold everything, and decided to drag his wife an one-year-old all over the country.
http://www.thedrive.com/travel/982/why-im-selling-everything-and-taking-my-family-on-the-road

Too bad he couldn't, you know, write one more entry in the series actually saying that. So, basically, not awesome AI car poo poo, other than using a 300K mile Dodge 2500.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 21, 2017

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i like the rear tires.

e: guess they are all the same but just enough of a tip to let you know uh oh.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

ugh im such a sucker for a knotchback

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Although it would be funny to put an LS1 in it and change the 5.0 badge to 5.7

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

i thought that was a badass taxi until i enlarged the thumbnail

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Thief posted:

i thought that was a badass taxi until i enlarged the thumbnail

Still could be. :colbert:

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Darchangel posted:

Put a Rover 3.5 in it?

Haha oh god. My SD1-sourced V8 got eight mpg (UK).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

This is gorgeous, but I'm terrible at engine recognition. Obviously an Ecoboost, but which one is it?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Either the 2.0 crate or a 2.3 out of a mustang.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

xzzy posted:

Wonderful. :allears:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Darchangel posted:

Put a Buick/Rover 3.5 in it? Otherwise, bump up to a 4L 1UZ.
Friends don't let friends use Rover V8s.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

InitialDave posted:

Friends don't let friends use Rover V8s.

...unless it's loaded into something which weighs as much as a bean tin.

It's a seriously great car, poopy v8 or otherwise.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The only advantage I see to them is that they're relatively cheap and light.

The British V8 I want to use for something is the Rolls/Bentley 6-3/4.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Would it be awesome or sacrilegious to swap a 2.3 ecoboost into an SVO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Enourmo posted:

Would it be awesome or sacrilegious to swap a 2.3 ecoboost into an SVO?

Entirely in the spirit and intention of the SVO.
Plus points for a tune/big turbo kit and 400+ whp For that GT whooping cred.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Nov 22, 2017