Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
7.07c is out Reddit has better formatted changes

Thank god for some AM and ES nerfs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Minorkos posted:

It kind of sucks because it limits your offlane options to like 5 heroes in the current patch. Anything that doesn't withstand a tactical nuclear strike is way too greedy for the offlane now. I like a lot of the other changes but offlane/safelane dynamic sucks now. It's really annoying when enemy supports sit their asses down on your lane and still compete with you in levels because of the 2 free bounty runes and so on. And then after they've zoned you for 2 minutes, the enemy carry runs at you with phase boots and extra 2 levels, and then the lane is loving done

Some guy on my team begged for solo off, I told him it'd be better if I laned with him since the hard lane is actually hard now, he said 'You can't go into games assuming your teammates are retards.' Then he picked Pugna and got turboraped by their trilane and we lost.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IncendiaC posted:

Not all that much in the grand scheme of things. Off the top of my head, the following have been simplified or removed:
shrines make regen less vital to early game
simplifying damage/armour types
roshan drops cheese earlier I guess?
no more orbs/attack modifier restrictions in 7.07
no more bottle-crowing in 7.07
free courier upgrade in 7.07

JPJ is just mad because for the last ~3 years, dota has put an emphasis on grouping up and taking fights/objectives rather than static lanes and farming/stacking, and he hates it. A brief summary going by memory:
slightly upped passive gold gain
cost of TPs, couriers, and wards decreased a lot (but went up a bit in 7.07)
reduced xp/gold from lane and jungle creeps (but increased in 7.07)
increased hero/assist kill gold/xp
introduction of ''rubberband kill gold" if your team is behind, making comebacks more achievable
changes to the offlane making it easier to contest
more utility/support items which make supports (and your team in general) more important in the late game. And having to depend on randos can be pretty awful given the reputation of the dota community

eh not quite

The game isn't simpler. More poo poo more mechanics, etc, actually has made the game that much more complex and faster paced, which means it's harder and requires more APM-type skill than ever before (No, microing a courier wasn't hard that hard). It's easier to get to lategame as a newb, but the ceiling has skyrocketed

Also, I was always a proponent of making ganking more effective. I enjoy suicide-ganking to kill the carry the most. That has gone from very effective, the minimally effective, to outright throwing in the current game environment.

They changed the game so if you aren't 5v5ing as early as 10 minutes, you are going to lose. The comeback mechanics also completely undermined anything this game had to do with economic advantage.

Objectives was always good, but not in the way they did it

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Reality Winner posted:

Valve has never ever been a communicative company though. Steam doesn't even have a customer support phone number.

That didn't matter when they were making Half Life or Portal, or even TF2. It matters when they are making a game like Dota.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Now that offlane is probably harder than it's ever been, mid and carry have an even more disproportionate impact on the game compared to other roles. I mean yeah, a good support player will be really good at securing the early game, but nowadays every game usually goes to some sort of lategame so the mid and carry end up deciding who wins. With how spread MMR often is in a game, you basically have to play pos 1 or 2 if you're high MMR compared to your team and pos 3-5 if you're not. And with tilted dunning kruegers often competing with you for a core role, it makes for some really annoying pubbing experiences

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
So is Jugg just terrible now or what, his talents are a complete joke, omnislash is easier to counter than ever, and the game showers stronger carries with gold so his early game advantage is meaningless.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
So I'm trying to find this old YouTube video that is a reading of someone's amazing anger rant from like dota 1 or hon or something. Something about regretting your words and deeds but I think I'm mixing it up with Kojima

I wanna say moonmeander wrote it maybe

Anyone remember what I'm thinking of

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 18, 2017

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Cuntellectual posted:

So is Jugg just terrible now or what, his talents are a complete joke, omnislash is easier to counter than ever, and the game showers stronger carries with gold so his early game advantage is meaningless.

Good

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

So I'm trying to find this old YouTube video that is a reading of someone's amazing anger rant from like dota 1 or hon or something. Something about regretting your words and deeds but I think I'm mixing it up with Kojima

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUYQAZEzyWg

?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Cuntellectual posted:

build the nullifier and most of the ways to counter omnislash go away

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I remember an amazing HoN video of some guy dying a lot and raging as Shadowfiend (Soulstealer) to the tune of Michael Jackson's Bad. Can't seem to find it though.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LCCswb4Tw8

Milkfat was lol's first pro player and was give a bunch of free leaguemoney to switch over lmao

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think I hate the courier cost increase the most over the past couple weeks. You can't just casually pick one up to show yours off, or to be nice, or anything, because it's a huge chunk of your starting gold. You are gimping yourself significantly to buy one at the start of the game if you're a core.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Perhaps this impact is intended.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The patch that made it better to curse the road than to run is the one that ruined dota.

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

I really like Dark Willow because her W makes stealing kills from carries very easy.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
My MMR has dropped so much in the last year that I queued into Weedman tonight.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
"if you put that effort spamming go in chat instead into inviting friends, the game would start faster"

"I no friends"

Dota, I was not prepared for these feels.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Incoherence posted:

My MMR has dropped so much in the last year that I queued into Weedman tonight.

?? I think you mean your MMR has gotten so high that you queued into Weedman

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

This meta is really boring. Nowadays in pub dota the enemy safe lane is almost incontestable and unwinnable, and likewise your own safe lane is almost impossible to lose as well. It's trivially easy to zone and kill anyone who tries to enter the safelane with a normal rear end trilane. It seems like the only real early game fighting happens in mid now. It's really depressing. Apparently the last meta had too much fighting in the safelane and this is their solution???

At least high ground pushing isn't quite as hard

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
you should try being much worse at the game so more wacky things can happen

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Just play turbo.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Neon Belly posted:

Just play turbo.

In my experience people in turbo usually try to jungle and wonder why they aren't getting magical turbo hypergold, then they lose

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

you see, the obvious issue with having 3 lanes is that, with 2 of them being mirrored, there can only be either a lot of fighting or very little fighting depending on how the balance of the side lanes are for each team.

the solution? a fourth lane.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
The jungle already exists though

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
There's a dude who friended me because we had 2 good games, and now I can't even log in without him inviting me

I didn't start playing Dota to make friends!

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

ElGroucho posted:

There's a dude who friended me because we had 2 good games, and now I can't even log in without him inviting me

throw the next one

simple

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

violent sex idiot posted:

build the nullifier and most of the ways to counter omnislash go away

Nullifier majorly blows compared to diffusal blade.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Cuntellectual posted:

Nullifier majorly blows compared to diffusal blade.
Cosmic brain: you can get both

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

jBrereton posted:

Cosmic brain: you can get both

Or you could play PA/CK/Sven and kill people before they have a chance to react, Slark/AM/PL/Void and peace out when they try, or Medusa/Spect and shrug off any damage that might come your way until it runs out, or...

My point is, yeah you CAN, but it doesn't change the fact that Juggernaut is kind of bad right now since his niche (carry that comes online early) is useless (since there's so much more gold on the map and offlaners can't really bully carries anymore) and he needs to buy an expensive and absurdly badly statted item to counter common inexpensive ones now, instead of countering it with a relatively inexpensive item with an easy build up and good stats.

Do you want to go back to the days of Naga or Morph being the best carry? No, you don't want that. :colbert:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ElGroucho posted:

the easiest way to lose friends is to play dota

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Kild posted:

It's all clearly explained in the Dota 2 Friends Horseshoe Theory chart.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

ElGroucho posted:

Be like me and don't accept them, then keep them on your friends list for 2 years.

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

ElGroucho posted:

This happened to me except we haven’t talked or invited each other since becoming friends. It’s a sad game of chicken now to see who unfriends first, i guess.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com

Yep that's it thanks

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Kild posted:

My boss at work found out I play dota and keeps asking to play with me, I'm running out of excuses to not play because that sure is a way to get myself fired.

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

How does Dota ever come up in a real life situation??

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
What is the most embarrassing thing youve ever done

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Yep that's it thanks

BIG PLAAAAAAAAAAAAYS

Real talk Dota destroys IRL friendships if you try to have a normal game instead of just having some kicks. A good friend of mine wanted me to play dota (I even dodged a Henron invite because of it) and he proceeded to 'support' me by picking pit lord, autoattacking creeps AND using firestorm on creeps (later he stated that it was his intention to hit heroes).

turboraton fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
"Gonna get a quick turbo game in before the family gets home"

*Techies Pick*

"Gonna get a regular length game of dota in before the family gets home"