Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Maybe it's getting late but I'm not getting the apostrophes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Those seem to be clearly the little green men. gently caress.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Those seem to be clearly the little green men. gently caress.
Ah, you guys draw much distinction between them and DPR/LPR "aboriginals"? Besides, it's not like they aren't running on Russian equipment, which could easily include the same camouflage uniforms the Crimean invaders did wear.

https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/933019699138519041

Lord_Adonis
Mar 2, 2015

by Smythe
I am currently considering taking advantage of my deceased paternal grandfather's Polish origins to gain Polish citizenship and escape Brexit Britain. Does anyone here have an appreciation of how difficult the citizenship process could be? According to the limited information that my father and I have been able to find, the child of a Polish parent is eligible for citizenship as long as the parent did not revoke or lapse their Polish citizenship. My father tells me that my grandfather maintained his citizenship, after he settled in the UK in 1947, though I have seen no evidence of this myself. I do know that he never possessed a British passport, and had to report to the local Police Station every month or so up until the early 1970s, so perhaps he did?

Would my grandfather's World War 2 experiences count against my citizenship claim? From the little I know, he and another of his brothers were separated from the rest of their family and then forcibly conscripted into the German Army in 1940 and threatened with death if they refused. As such, my grandfather fought with the Germans from 1940 to 1943. He was captured by the British in Italy and ended up interned in a POW camp in Britain. He had always said that he did not serve willingly with the Germans, and placed himself in a deliberate position where he would be captured (So it was a de facto defection). He did not desert before then because he spent 1940 in Germany and 1941-42 in Russia and did not want to be captured by the Russians (Funnily enough, another one of his brothers ended up being forcibly conscripted into the Red Army in 1940). He spent about six months in the POW camp before being offered the chance to fight with the Free Polish forces under British command. As such, he spent the rest of the war in the Polish section of the RAF as a navigator. He fought on both sides of the conflict, and I wonder whether that fact will endear his children and grandchildren to the Polish authorities?

I have been told that the entire citizenship application process must be completed in Polish, with no English forms or applications. Is this true? Unfortunately neither myself or my father speak a word of Polish. Also, I was told that I might have to complete some kind of 'national service' in the Polish Armed Forces as part of my citizenship. Is this true? Would I require someone who is already a Polish citizen to vouch for my father and I and assist us in our application? My father has been able to locate members of my grandfather's rather large extended family in Poland, but has been unable to engage in any significant communication with them as none of them speak much English.

I would welcome any advice that anyone can offer on this matter.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

drat, LNR "MoIA" logo is really tacky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3ynRwgNAR4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urwAqB0YPII

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Just referring to the origin of the hardware... Doubt those are regulars (those are possibly with the ~100 tanks the OSCE noted elsewhere).

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

There is no clean conflict, in the WWII American soldiers stole innumerable Japanese skulls, they sometimes cleaned them by tying severed heads to a line that was dragged behind a boat until all the soft tissues fell off. Sometimes they sent skulls to their families back in the States as a souvenir.

In the late 19th century White explorers first made contact with the Jivaroan tribe of the western Amazon, the people who created the notorious shrunken heads as trophies after killing an enemy. The heads immediately became popular as curios, and many collectors started trading large amounts of money and guns to natives for the heads. They were literally commodifying human heads, and the resulting trade led to a massive increase in conflict in the region with women and children being killed specifically for the shrunken head trade. Authorities finally cracked down on the market when the now heavily armed headhunters started targeting neighboring whites to meet demand

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OddObserver posted:

Just referring to the origin of the hardware... Doubt those are regulars (those are possibly with the ~100 tanks the OSCE noted elsewhere).

Ah. Still not sure I'm seeing anything special in hardware.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Lord_Adonis posted:

I am currently considering (...) to gain Polish citizenship and escape Brexit Britain.

2017 continues to be a hilarious hellscape.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Lord_Adonis posted:

I am currently considering taking advantage of my deceased paternal grandfather's Polish origins to gain Polish citizenship and escape Brexit Britain. Does anyone here have an appreciation of how difficult the citizenship process could be? According to the limited information that my father and I have been able to find, the child of a Polish parent is eligible for citizenship as long as the parent did not revoke or lapse their Polish citizenship. My father tells me that my grandfather maintained his citizenship, after he settled in the UK in 1947, though I have seen no evidence of this myself. I do know that he never possessed a British passport, and had to report to the local Police Station every month or so up until the early 1970s, so perhaps he did?

Would my grandfather's World War 2 experiences count against my citizenship claim? From the little I know, he and another of his brothers were separated from the rest of their family and then forcibly conscripted into the German Army in 1940 and threatened with death if they refused. As such, my grandfather fought with the Germans from 1940 to 1943. He was captured by the British in Italy and ended up interned in a POW camp in Britain. He had always said that he did not serve willingly with the Germans, and placed himself in a deliberate position where he would be captured (So it was a de facto defection). He did not desert before then because he spent 1940 in Germany and 1941-42 in Russia and did not want to be captured by the Russians (Funnily enough, another one of his brothers ended up being forcibly conscripted into the Red Army in 1940). He spent about six months in the POW camp before being offered the chance to fight with the Free Polish forces under British command. As such, he spent the rest of the war in the Polish section of the RAF as a navigator. He fought on both sides of the conflict, and I wonder whether that fact will endear his children and grandchildren to the Polish authorities?

I have been told that the entire citizenship application process must be completed in Polish, with no English forms or applications. Is this true? Unfortunately neither myself or my father speak a word of Polish. Also, I was told that I might have to complete some kind of 'national service' in the Polish Armed Forces as part of my citizenship. Is this true? Would I require someone who is already a Polish citizen to vouch for my father and I and assist us in our application? My father has been able to locate members of my grandfather's rather large extended family in Poland, but has been unable to engage in any significant communication with them as none of them speak much English.

I'm afraid nobody here can actually help you, since we never had to go through the process ourselves. That said, there are some things I can give you an educated guess about :

Under the current constitution, a Polish citizen cannot be stripped of citizenship and it does not lapse, it can only be resigned voluntarily. However, the Communist government in the 1940s tried to strip people who stayed abroad of citizenship, but I don't think they actually succeeded on a wide scale. Citizenship is hereditary, as long as at least one of your parents was a citizen.

A quick glance at Wikipedia tells me that to be naturalised you can petition the President. However, I don't think that will get anywhere, I'm fairly sure this is in practice only available to footballers.

Otherwise, you might petition for it in the regular way. You need to speak Polish (problematic, from what you are saying) and not pose a threat to national security (most likely not an issue if you're white). You must also fulfil one of the following conditions:

- Have permanent residence in Poland for at least three years while having a stable source of regular income and owning or renting an apartment or house. (To apply for permanent residence, you must live in Poland for at least five years. If you ever leave the country for more than six months at a time, the timer resets.)
- Live in Poland legally for at least ten years, permanent residence, have a stable source of regular income, own or rent an apartment or a house.
- Have permanent residence in Poland for at least two years and be married to a Pole for at least three years.
- Have permanent residence in Poland for at least two years and be stateless.
- Live in Poland for at least two years and have a refugee status.
- Live in Poland for at least two years and have repatriate status.

RE: service in armed forces, that probably means you'd have to report to an applicable military unit for a medical checkup to ascertain your general fitness for the draft. You would technically also be subject for the draft (if fit), however, it has been suspended for a better part of a decade and there is about zero chance of it ever being unsuspended.

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 21, 2017

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Also, emigrating to PiS Poland to escape Brexit Britain seems like cutting off one's nose to spite one's face to me.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Lord_Adonis posted:

I'm talking with a law student about your case, is your father still alive?

E: brainfart, you said that he is. So administrative law isn't his forte so he can't help much but he gave me some places where I can check. I'll try to find out more in a couple of hours when it's not midnight.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 21, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Osmosisch posted:

Also, emigrating to PiS Poland to escape Brexit Britain seems like cutting off one's nose to spite one's face to me.

Being a polish citizen means you can go live anywhere in europe except britain at the drop of a hat.

Being a UK citizen means you can go live in post-brexit UK. :v:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Lol I should try to get my Croatian birthright citizenship as a Serb.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

AceRimmer posted:

Lol I should try to get my Croatian birthright citizenship as a Serb.

They ((we)), would grant it to you. :)

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

If you directly state they are military vehicles then the question will need to be asked at the Minsk peace accord round, "who" supplied the APC's and military vehicles. Given that Russia tends to respond harshly to these "Accusations", usually in the form of killing more Ukrainians in the entrenchment line, the NATO/OSCE observers must abstract the statements to maintain the illusion of a "Ceasefire Dialogue".

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hal_2005 posted:

If you directly state they are military vehicles then the question will need to be asked at the Minsk peace accord round, "who" supplied the APC's and military vehicles. Given that Russia tends to respond harshly to these "Accusations", usually in the form of killing more Ukrainians in the entrenchment line, the NATO/OSCE observers must abstract the statements to maintain the illusion of a "Ceasefire Dialogue".
I don't think anyone is asking multiple times where did separatists get decades old 2 APCs and an AA cannon from.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Putin and Trump had a lengthy conversation yesterday. Trump told the press they discussed Syria, North Korea, and Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/TPM/status/933299007614586880

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Apparently, 4 gentlemen with discerning tastes, have imbibed a little bit of alcohol in Szczecin recently. Their appetites whet, they then proceeded to murder, dismember, saute and eat their colleague.

No details yet, as the police decided to keep their lips sealed, lest they'll have to put their feet in mouth later.

Edit: more details - it was 15 years ago, we can at least hope that Poles have been weaned off human flesh since then.

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Nov 23, 2017

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

It's a perfect opportunity to do a public committee that will check Kwaśniewski's ties to that crime. Also they'd need to find what was Tusk doing then.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
does anyone anywhere care about the Kwach

Also, Poland... good? http://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-poland-spencer-ban-20171122-story.html

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Americans start to think Bush Jr. was a good president, Kwaśniewski is bound to reappear in a wave of similar nostalgia. Also he objectively wasn't terrible.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

alex314 posted:

Americans start to think Bush Jr. was a good president, Kwaśniewski is bound to reappear in a wave of similar nostalgia. Also he objectively wasn't terrible.

I'd argue he was the best of the bunch.

Which, considering that the rest consists of Wałęsa, Kaczyński, Komorowski and Duda, is not much of an achievement.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I think it's time.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Olek has that certain oligarch je ne sais quoi.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
ukraine is going down again.looks like the lnr is under new management.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

rear end struggle posted:

Yeah 5 KIA in the area :( http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42108007

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

rear end struggle posted:

Luhansk's old Governor was backed by the FSB. The mayor and his administration were holdovers. There is an internal power struggle and the Russian army (who is supplying the munitions and logistics) wanted to overthrow the mayor, who's support draws from the Cossack irregulars who supported the "little green men". The Russian army wants to come clean so the dead conscripts can be given burials & widows pensions, obviously the hardliners and Skovolki do not want that and would rather have a "UN Mission" which buys Putin some time in another geopolitical situation with Ukraine implications.

As for Ukraine going down, there is on average 5 to 10 deaths a week. Its trench warfare with each side doing the minimal amount of fire necessary to pretend the fight is still ongoing. Most fighting has moved to skirmishes and infiltrations, much like WW I.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I don't think anyone is asking multiple times where did separatists get decades old 2 APCs and an AA cannon from.

At the Munich Conference (2015) this was an issue and while Russia has admitted their forces were in Crimea from day zero, the issue has not been settled for the other occupied territories. The biggest reason being Annexation triggers various Sovereign Claim mechanisms, as would an Act of War, neither of which Ukraine could afford to file and contest at Hague or on the battlefield.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tevery Best posted:

does anyone anywhere care about the Kwach

Also, Poland... good? http://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-poland-spencer-ban-20171122-story.html

Not Catholic enough?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
For all the racism and antisemitism and Jew-baiting we get here, Holocaust denial is not welcome in this country even amongst most fascists. After all, hundreds of thousands of ethnic Poles perished in those same gas chambers. And we have a very good and simple way of teaching people about it.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I guess having Auschwitz a two hour car makes it kinda hard to develop the kind of cool detachment from reality that it takes to be a holocaust denier. And then I realise that it doesn't actually matter, since holocaust denial has always been a fig leaf. If you're an antisemite, you'll find another one.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

lollontee posted:

I guess having Auschwitz a two hour car makes it kinda hard to develop the kind of cool detachment from reality that it takes to be a holocaust denier. And then I realise that it doesn't actually matter, since holocaust denial has always been a fig leaf. If you're an antisemite, you'll find another one.
Yes, this, neonazis can visit Auschwitz and it will change nothing, they will even enjoy the trip and take pictures posing smiling, like this human garbage

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Sure, but it tends to have a profound effect on a mind that has not been infected with hate. Which is why it's essentially a mandatory school trip in most of the country at some point of your education.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Dwesa posted:

Yes, this, neonazis can visit Auschwitz and it will change nothing, they will even enjoy the trip and take pictures posing smiling, like this human garbage

I prefer this one:

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

When everything is under control and there is no need to worry, citizen.

https://twitter.com/simon_rp84/status/933684120756146176

e:

The 'before' pic, a high-res Pleiades image from early May 2016.

The 'after', a lower resolution, 10x10m Sentinel-2 image from October 20th of this year.

the western section of the central building, about 2/3rds of the total area, is way darker in the latter. the western section is higher up and all the shadows point north, which suggests that this is not a trick of the light and that in fact a major uh-oh occurred at this major nuclear waste reprocessing facility, as reports of highly elevated radiation levels nearby suggest.

e2: there seems to have been construction on that building ongoing, looks like they took the roof off on purpose

Fallen Hamprince fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Nov 26, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Kadyrov (says he's) stepping down, for some reason

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-26/chechen-leader-says-time-has-come-for-him-to-step-aside

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The reason is Putin running for elections.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
He is stepping down for health reasons, his polonium allergy is acting up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Rincewinds posted:

He is stepping down for health reasons, his polonium allergy is acting up.

https://twitter.com/krymrealii/status/934881454093492224/video/1