Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
She wasn't even trying to ditch Mario. She said "Let's go home." And she was miffed because Mario and Bowser were both treating her as a prize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

I agree with a lot of what you said.

There's an emphasis on puzzle based content in Odyssey that I mostly see as detracting from a game with such good platforming. Often times platforming challenges and challenging puzzles are intertwined, and that's when Odyssey is at its best, but there are many questionable moons in this game where I wonder why they were included. Their solutions are so simple that I either immediately figured them out and became disinterested, or spent time thinking about them and then felt dumb/angry for not seeing the obvious. Some of them are just totally indefensible and hardly even qualify as puzzles, like the 3 fish ladies in the Lake Kingdom that want you to wear different clothing combinations, or the rock in the Ruined Kingdom. Many moons however are just sorta boring like the multitude of go here and ground pound this shiny spot, or catch this big fish, or wait for this dog to find something, or break this box, or go here and pick the moon up because its literally just sitting there. A lot of that content was disappointing to me and I felt like the game would've been straight up better without it wasting my time. Honorable mention for all the gardening moons that take time to grow instead of giving you their moon straight away.

Since you mentioned steps forward in platforming and course design, what I think this game does better than other Mario games is making the player believe that they are pulling off some super slick unintended platforming strategy and out-thinking the developers. Map design plays a huge role in this of course because its pretty impossible to believe that the designers didn't know about things like the throw -> dive -> throw -> dive combo that "coincidentally" happens to give you just the right amount of height to scale all sorts of obstacles, or that a transformation they built the level around totally trivializes a moon. A lot of the level design in Odyssey is based around giving players agency to come up with their own solutions to problems which is both good and bad in my experience with the game. Good in that it leads to a bunch of moments where you're really proud of yourself for coming up with a cool strategy and executing on it, but bad in that often times the less inventive routes are uninteresting compared to a more curated experience like in Galaxy.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Think DLC is likely or will the just make Odyssey 2 instead?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Relax, tumblrinas. I’m not saying “Peach acted like a bitch and owed Mario more.” I’m saying the entire sequence was weird and offputting and against the tone of the rest of the game.

It’s a kids game. The ending should’ve been a simple “bad guy loses and gets owned, good guys team up again and have a party because they won.” Nothing romantic even, just celebrating victory.

The whole thing with Mario and Bowser fighting over Peach and her leaving exasperated was cute I guess, but as an ending I felt it was kind of half baked. I just think it would’ve been cool if the final ending actually felt more like a final, solid ending instead of the weird ambiguous thing that happens the first time you roll the credits.

And really though, in the end I just wanted to see something different from the first ending cut scene instead of something so identical to the first Bowser fight that I, like a few other people here, questioned whether I entered the right painting, so a more traditional kind of ending seems like a decent alternative.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3W4F2Sm3GQ

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

"tumblrinas" what the gently caress year am I in

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

GreatGreen posted:

It’s a kids game. The ending should’ve been a simple “bad guy loses and gets owned, good guys team up again and have a party because they won.” Nothing romantic even, just celebrating victory.

Yet my kids thought the ending was great.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What if Super Mario Odyssey's True Ending had a Nickelback track playing

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the final boss isn't supposed to feel final anyway, the game straight up tells you to travel more.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/FourScore64/status/932803217100075008

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Holy poo poo I just did the Jump Rope Genius legitimately. I just went into a zen trance after like 20 tries and timed my presses with the "Hey!" and scored 140 jumps after my previous record of like 75.

Feels good, man.

Edit: Volleyball down too. Just have Dark Side and Darker Side to go and I'm done, baby.

qbert fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 21, 2017

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

GreatGreen posted:

Relax, tumblrinas. I’m not saying “Peach acted like a bitch and owed Mario more.” I’m saying the entire sequence was weird and offputting and against the tone of the rest of the game.

The whole thing with Mario and Bowser fighting over Peach and her leaving exasperated was cute I guess, but as an ending I felt it was kind of half baked. I just think it would’ve been cool if the final ending actually felt more like a final, solid ending instead of the weird ambiguous thing that happens the first time you roll the credits.

And really though, in the end I just wanted to see something different from the first ending cut scene instead of something so identical to the first Bowser fight that I, like a few other people here, questioned whether I entered the right painting, so a more traditional kind of ending seems like a decent alternative.

Counterpoint: you’re 100% wrong and the ending ruled and worked especially well cause of how well Nintendo has that whole character dynamic down

Edit: also tumblrinas really

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

Tbh I think Odysseys camera is often pretty terrible and probably the games only major weakness. I don't remember having that problem with any other recent Mario games, but the situational awareness in odyssey can be really bad.

Anyone that had an issue with the Jaxi honestly probably just had an issue with the camera and was trying to line up Jaxi in a weird way instead of just re-positioning the camera. The underground Jaxi stuff was really easy for me when I realized that.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The Jaxi and rocket flower stuff is tricky just because it's hard to make small changes. Having the camera right behind you helps, but it's still a challenge to nudge the sticks just slightly to correct your direction.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

it's amazing how much easier this is than actually trying to get 100 jumps
Took me hours to get the jumps the real way - I just did this with 5 minutes of practice

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
yo this is amazing tell me how to do it

e: oh, Talkatoo plus Cappy somehow? That's weird.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

yo this is amazing tell me how to do it

e: oh, Talkatoo plus Cappy somehow? That's weird.

Throw cappy over talkatoo, and talk to talkatoo right before it hits
Move the camera quickly out of talkatoo's range because the next time you see him it will lock in place
Then do a jump and ground pound so you pull talkatoo back into the camera just over the jump rope

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I'd imagine that will get patched out, the frog glitch doesn't really affect anything other than cheesing Darker Side, but with this one you can just break the rope jump leaderboard

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nina posted:

I have to agree. Positive innovation is great but innovation for innovation's sake can just lead to fumbling, something Nintendo itself has been guilty of with some decisions. I mean it basically killed Star Fox Zero

I liked that game (though I may have just been desperate for a new Star Fox) but also brings to mind Nintendo's motion control experiments in general. People seem to have impossible standards for Nintendo games while being amazed that any other developer deigns to change things even slightly from formula.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Wait, CAPture. gently caress

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Who thought it was a good idea to make players grind coins for over an hour AFTER they have already searched for and found 880 moons AND spent 15,000+ coins on outfits? I don't even care about the reward at this point, but I'm so close to 100% I feel obligated to finish it.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Honestly the game isn't designed to be 100%'d by the vast majority of players anyway. That's why there's 380 moons past unlocking all the substantial game content

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
999 moons isn't really 100% the game by any real metric.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

999 moons isn't really 100% the game by any real metric.

880 found moons, 119 bought moons , and all 1,000 purple coins then?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

GreatGreen posted:

999 moons and all 1,000 purple coins then?

No I mean 100% the game is getting all the moons and purple coins imo. The 999 thing is a nice little bonus but you've already gotten everything there is to get long before that.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Ok gotcha.

Also now that I think about it, it seems a bit weird that you don't get an instant moon for collecting all the purple coins in a world, considering how you get moons for literally everything else you accomplish.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

[quote="“BattleHamster”" post="“478591185”"]
I agree with a lot of what you said.

There’s an emphasis on puzzle based content in Odyssey that I mostly see as detracting from a game with such good platforming. Often times platforming challenges and challenging puzzles are intertwined, and that’s when Odyssey is at its best, but there are many questionable moons in this game where I wonder why they were included. Their solutions are so simple that I either immediately figured them out and became disinterested, or spent time thinking about them and then felt dumb/angry for not seeing the obvious. Some of them are just totally indefensible and hardly even qualify as puzzles, like the 3 fish ladies in the Lake Kingdom that want you to wear different clothing combinations, or the rock in the Ruined Kingdom. Many moons however are just sorta boring like the multitude of go here and ground pound this shiny spot, or catch this big fish, or wait for this dog to find something, or break this box, or go here and pick the moon up because its literally just sitting there. A lot of that content was disappointing to me and I felt like the game would’ve been straight up better without it wasting my time. Honorable mention for all the gardening moons that take time to grow instead of giving you their moon straight away.

Since you mentioned steps forward in platforming and course design, what I think this game does better than other Mario games is making the player believe that they are pulling off some super slick unintended platforming strategy and out-thinking the developers. Map design plays a huge role in this of course because its pretty impossible to believe that the designers didn’t know about things like the throw -> dive -> throw -> dive combo that “coincidentally” happens to give you just the right amount of height to scale all sorts of obstacles, or that a transformation they built the level around totally trivializes a moon. A lot of the level design in Odyssey is based around giving players agency to come up with their own solutions to problems which is both good and bad in my experience with the game. Good in that it leads to a bunch of moments where you’re really proud of yourself for coming up with a cool strategy and executing on it, but bad in that often times the less inventive routes are uninteresting compared to a more curated experience like in Galaxy.
[/quote]

This is why I love the Koopa races. They really make
You realize how well the map is designed when you want to beat the gold koopas

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Forest kingdom gold koopa forced me to learn the long jump/throw/dive combo, which is super helpful for the entire game.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

McDragon posted:

Wait, CAPture. gently caress
:great:

For some reason I always feel happy when I see these posts :3:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Inescapable Duck posted:

I liked that game (though I may have just been desperate for a new Star Fox) but also brings to mind Nintendo's motion control experiments in general. People seem to have impossible standards for Nintendo games while being amazed that any other developer deigns to change things even slightly from formula.

This is the risk of big changes - it's really impressive when it's good, but it can be really bad when it's bad. Other developers don't often take the risk - nintendo leaps in and sometimes it's bad. I don't think criticism of nintendo's duds is the same as encouraging the boring "Call of Duty 2k17" stuff - I'm coming from the position of someone who doesn't buy that crap in the first place.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Seriously the final challenge in the game is a boss rush?

Christ alive, you have loving moon physics and you choose this?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yorkshire Tea posted:

There's more.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Nope!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
thank god for Talkatoo Storage I finally got the drat jump rope moon

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I had to do the glitch twice after I let it idle up to 12k jumps because I couldn't find the danged moon with the locked on camera and warped to reset it (which reset the moon) and fell off the map (whoops).

e: I did get the moon in the end, to clarify

Devlan Mud fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 22, 2017

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Oddly enough, the jump rope challenge was a challenge up until the exploit was discovered... at which point, when I screwed up activating the interrupt exploit at the rope, I just "got gud" at the spot and jumped for 101 and got the moon. Never again.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

now where's a glitch for beach volleyball, because that poo poo is not only boring but SLOW

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Devlan Mud posted:

I had to do the glitch twice after I let it idle up to 12k jumps because I couldn't find the danged moon with the locked on camera and warped to reset it (which reset the moon) and fell off the map (whoops).
There's a bit in Banjo-Kazooie speedruns where you freeze the camera in a cutscene in Click Clock Wood spring and you have to zone into Mumbo's Hut to reset it, which involves running around a quarter of the map based entirely off the sounds that Banjo and Kazooie make

what I'm saying is :gitgud:

but what I'm really saying is high five fellow talkatoo glitcher :3:

e: for volleyball, do it in two-player mode and move Mario off the court as soon as it starts, Cappy is fast enough to get a hundred relatively easily (you get a bit of leeway so don't stop in disgust if you think you won't make it to the ball in time)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

alf_pogs posted:

now where's a glitch for beach volleyball, because that poo poo is not only boring but SLOW

Play as Cappy in 2 player mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Same. Now I just have to do volleyball. I'm using cappy, but I keep getting distracted and failing because 100 volleys takes forever to actually happen. Would have been a much better challenge at 50 instead of 100.

• Locked thread