Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Steve2911 posted:

Are there any US sites that stock this and ship reasonably cheaply to the UK? Lost in Time and Space is either out of stock or ridiculously overpriced everywhere here. I thought FFG already issued the re-print?

Poking around it looks like it would be at least $20 to ship from the US east coast to the UK via USPS. I'm not sure if there are cheaper options out there.

I can look more closely at it when I go into work tomorrow if you'd like to PM me an address. I run the e-commerce and shipping department for a board game store on the east coast and we have plenty of packs in stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Poking around it looks like it would be at least $20 to ship from the US east coast to the UK via USPS. I'm not sure if there are cheaper options out there.

I can look more closely at it when I go into work tomorrow if you'd like to PM me an address. I run the e-commerce and shipping department for a board game store on the east coast and we have plenty of packs in stock.

Thanks for checking, I've shot you a PM on the off chance.

On my Dunwich run through so far I breezed through the two opening scenarios, but both Museum and Express got the better of me. Two cultist pulls in a row made it physically impossible for me to advance to the last carriage before being torn off the train. Losing all the dudebro allies I picked up in the first two scenarios was pretty brutal.

I really hope I don't just fail my way through to the end of the campaign, that doesn't sound fun. And I'm playing on Easy.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm looking to make a Sefina Rousseau deck for the current campaign but I'm kind of at a loss at how rogue decks are supposed to function. They seem like they are very situationally good at clue gathering or fighting but require event cards so they aren't consistent. Is there a proper way to run them (I assume Leo De Luca is basically required)? Also what type of character pairs well with one?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Radish posted:

I'm looking to make a Sefina Rousseau deck for the current campaign but I'm kind of at a loss at how rogue decks are supposed to function. They seem like they are very situationally good at clue gathering or fighting but require event cards so they aren't consistent. Is there a proper way to run them (I assume Leo De Luca is basically required)? Also what type of character pairs well with one?

In my experience Rogues can do everything passably well to great, but suffer from needing a lot of setup (they're all pretty resource hungry). I think Sefina's in an odd spot now in that I'm not quite sure there's enough good events for her to really take advantage of (especially starting fresh). But if I was pairing her, I'd likely go with someone really good at clues (Rex would be sweet) and use spells/events to work as a tanky/fighty character. You can do the evade tank thing early on when necessary or for obnoxious enemies, and later you just kill with backstabs and shrivels. Blinding light upgrade also does double duty for something like this.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Thanks! Hmm.. I just played a fighter so I don't want to make the other player do the clue gathering thing again. I might table her for something else or see what they want to play first.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Radish posted:

Thanks! Hmm.. I just played a fighter so I don't want to make the other player do the clue gathering thing again. I might table her for something else or see what they want to play first.

She is an investigator that will get exponentially more interesting as more event cards are released. Depending on how often you play I'd table her for now.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I really don't think the card pool supports a solid Sefina deck at this point.

Also Rogue's in general are in a pretty weird place because of their card pool. They have really, really strong XP cards, but their 0XP card pool is just very, very meh. On top of that, Jenny is the only Rogue investigator released so far who really plays a proper Rogue deck (Sefina as said doesn't seem playable, Skids tends to start more as a weak-ish Guardian who can take the strong Rogue upgrades later on). However her statline means she's kinda bad at everything at the start of a campaign, and you know, so are the lvl 0 Rogue cards. So that's a recipe for a rough start.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 5, 2017

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Steve2911 posted:

Every single deck I've built has given me Paranoia. I'm now paranoid about drawing Paranoia.

Undimensioned and Unseen just gave my deck a second Paranoia. Mother loving Paranoia.

I like that the scenario takes pity on you if you hosed up the previous one. :unsmith: I'd have thought more sacrifices would mean more abominations though...

stev fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 5, 2017

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

In our Carcosa campaign both myself and another player have Indebted. It sucks to start with 3 resources, but it's so nice to know that there's not a Paranoia or Amnesia or even worse lurking in my deck.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
So if I'm feeling like playing a mystic but, due to team composition, have to be decent at gathering clues, I really have to pick Agnes, don't I?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Lichtenstein posted:

So if I'm feeling like playing a mystic but, due to team composition, have to be decent at gathering clues, I really have to pick Agnes, don't I?

I think Jim's perfectly fine in that role after a bit of xp.

Alternately, Daisy's practically a mystic!

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Lichtenstein posted:

Why Agnes? Akachi is way better at using Rite of Seeking, which gets better with more players, and Agnes's special abilities are pretty combat focused. Jim would also likely be better than Agnes if you have combat covered.

Mystic is really good at everything but has a heavy reliance on resources and card draw while being at risk of running out of steam before the scenario ends. You can add one to any party as a self sufficient troubleshooter.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

My reasoning was that Look What I've Found! would be necessary to get a decent density of investigation-enhancing cards not to spend half the game drawing while my bodyguard companion sits there fuming.

But in the end, after an hour of deckbuilding I ended up with Jim who simply splashes it anyway and, since I wanted to toy around with Alyssa Graham, runs around with a respectable 4 intelligence to boot.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Lichtenstein posted:

My reasoning was that Look What I've Found! would be necessary to get a decent density of investigation-enhancing cards not to spend half the game drawing while my bodyguard companion sits there fuming.

But in the end, after an hour of deckbuilding I ended up with Jim who simply splashes it anyway and, since I wanted to toy around with Alyssa Graham, runs around with a respectable 4 intelligence to boot.

Plus Jim is tailor-made for Strange Statue abuse with Scavenging (especially in the new campaign, with its 3 skull icons), which really boosts his chances of investigating and let's him recur the statue.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I just found out that when you advance an agenda you remove the doom tokens from ALL cards. That certainly would have made our last campaign easier knowing that one.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Radish posted:

I just found out that when you advance an agenda you remove the doom tokens from ALL cards. That certainly would have made our last campaign easier knowing that one.

Oh...

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I'm sure this has been asked before but I didn't see it within the last few pages from my cursory ctrl+F searching so:

I already own one core set and the Dunwich expansion. I plan to buy the Carcosa expansion soon.

Assuming that, would I still benefit from getting a second core set if I primarily want to play 2P? Or would two deluxe expansions (and maybe a mythos pack here and there) reduce the need?

I haven't really touched Arkham in 6+ months and would like to get back into it. I'm willing to stomach the second core set if it means a better experience for a 2P campaign.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Just proxy the cards you want duplicates of.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/140274/ah-lcg-proxy-sheets

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
Alright so we just ran through Echoes of the Past and did reasonably well but I am officially not digging Carcossa's trend of not awarding a base XP for successfully completing the scenario or for cheeky bullshit like Victory 0. It's really killing any desire to play the scenarios blind and treat the game like the "rpg-lite" it advertises itself as.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Pretty sure Victory 0 isn't so much cheeky bullshit rather than an elegant way to prevent cards from being shuffled back into the encounter deck after they've been taken care of once.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

That's totally the reason for Victory 0. Always good to know that something isn't coming back.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Orange Devil posted:

Pretty sure Victory 0 isn't so much cheeky bullshit rather than an elegant way to prevent cards from being shuffled back into the encounter deck after they've been taken care of once.

Also, I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of investigator cards coming in the future that allow you to manipulate cards in the victory display somehow.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

So, my cardbox containing the Dunwich Legacy encounter deck went flying from my third story balcony today. I thought I collected all the cards but I seem to be missing both copies of "Sordid & Silent," #89.

Just double checking they came in the box & also that they wouldn't be somewhere weird in the box (like some of the other missing number sequences I had to go digging for).

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Quidthulhu posted:

So, my cardbox containing the Dunwich Legacy encounter deck went flying from my third story balcony today. I thought I collected all the cards but I seem to be missing both copies of "Sordid & Silent," #89.

Just double checking they came in the box & also that they wouldn't be somewhere weird in the box (like some of the other missing number sequences I had to go digging for).

Yeah, they're in the box, an easy way to see that is to go by encounter set # (because that's unique, they should be #3 and #4 in the Dunwich encounter set) instead of card # (which might not be unique per individual card)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
drat, the Jenny Barnes book is sold out everywhere, except for scalpers on eBay who are selling it without the cards :(

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Good. Don't further enable FFG.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Lichtenstein posted:

Good. Don't further enable FFG.

Lol just wait for the outcry when the l5r books start coming out.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Zerf posted:

Yeah, they're in the box, an easy way to see that is to go by encounter set # (because that's unique, they should be #3 and #4 in the Dunwich encounter set) instead of card # (which might not be unique per individual card)

Hmm, time to figure out where I can buy these two cards :v:

(And also if I'm missing any other....)

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Quidthulhu posted:

Hmm, time to figure out where I can buy these two cards :v:

(And also if I'm missing any other....)

Contact FFG custom support, they seem to be quite nice even for cases like this when it's not really their fault. Also, the box should contain "five mini cards and 156 full-size cards" according to https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/9/the-dunwich-legacy/, so make sure to count them first :)

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

So, in practice, does Yorrick actually want to do some weapon juggling (knives, pistols, whatever), or is a Machete + some trashable utility item the porper way to go?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Zerf posted:

Contact FFG custom support, they seem to be quite nice even for cases like this when it's not really their fault. Also, the box should contain "five mini cards and 156 full-size cards" according to https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/9/the-dunwich-legacy/, so make sure to count them first :)

This was super helpful as I'm currently sitting at 154 cards, so thankfully these were the only two I lost. Thanks, I'll give it a shot!!

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Lichtenstein posted:

So, in practice, does Yorrick actually want to do some weapon juggling (knives, pistols, whatever), or is a Machete + some trashable utility item the porper way to go?

I've had success running machete, knives, and then varying pistols. You can be super loose using the disposable stuff, but machete helps save cash and/ or when you wanna cycle something else. Also getting 2 enemies with machete feels real bad with no backup. Bandolier is made for him since you get machete, utility item (lantern) and still get your juggling item

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
The Path to Carcosa expansion is $18.99 on CSI right now, which is still less than it usually is even when you count in the base $5.99 shipping (total of $24.98).

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I just picked up The Unspeakable Oath pack today. Looks like Machete in one hand, Trench Knife in the other would be a good way for Guardians to deal with both swarms and individual enemies at any given moment.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Just wanted to follow up and say that Asmodee/FFG (since they're the same parent company I guess) responded to my Support request and is sending me the two cards I lost at no cost to me. Great customer service still exists, especially in cardboard! Thanks, FFG & Asmodee!

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I’m hearing so many conflicting words on how to go about buying this. I’d love to buy it for my wife and I to play. Do you buy two of the main game then and then one of each expansion you want? Is there a “pack” you can get with a few now or just buy one by one? Just buy in order of release?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

teacup posted:

I’m hearing so many conflicting words on how to go about buying this. I’d love to buy it for my wife and I to play. Do you buy two of the main game then and then one of each expansion you want? Is there a “pack” you can get with a few now or just buy one by one? Just buy in order of release?

If you're unsure about spending a lot, get one of the core game and give it a try, then if you like it you can get the rest in order of release:

Dunwich expansion
Miskatonic Museum
Essex County Express
Blood on the Altar
Undimensioned and Unseen
Where Doom Awaits
Lost in Time and Space (last pack of Dunwich)

Carcosa expansion
Echoes of the Past
The Unspeakable Oath (more released monthly)

Then there's a couple of standalone packs that are just optional side stories with no player cards:
Curse of the Rougarou
Carnivale of Horrors

And get a second core whenever you want. |You'll need to get each thing separately. The core game comes with three stories, each 'big' expansion box has two and the six Mythos packs that follow have one each. So you'll want to buy them in order because each expansion is a single continuous story.

stev fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Nov 28, 2017

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

teacup posted:

There isn't really any conflict. Buy two cores and one of each expansion after that, in order of release.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

teacup posted:

I don't think you should get 2 cores immediately. Find out how the deckbuilding is like with 2p, if you feel constrained or plan to play with more than 2 players then you can always go get a 2nd core

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

So FFG announced it's next book and instead of being Roland (who someone got packaged in their Jenny book) it's an entirely new investigator:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/12/7/ire-of-the-void/

Can't see what his deckbuilding requirements are, but he seems pretty strong on the face of it. Also I think that also should mean we know two of the investigators in the next expansion (since I'd guess Marie will make an appearance there).