Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

DanZX posted:

Weird that assassination could be boring, but I believe you.
4 is the one about pirates, right?

If you want fun assassination grab the latest Hitman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
If you never played an Asscreed before, you may try but be warned that they are very repetitive. The logical choice would be to jump straight to either Syndicate or Origins as they are the latest and more refined ones but just in case you want to see something from the beginning:

- 1 is pretty much a tech demo. There are actual assassinations, with you planning your entry and escape routes, learning about your targets and striking at the right time, but it's largerly forgettable.

- The Ezio trilogy (2, Brotherhood, Revelations) is a good time, Ezio is a charming fucker, he has a great character arc, there are great improvements over 1, the settings of all three are fantastic. Revelations is a bit dull, but offers closure on the story of both Ezio and Altair.

- Avoid 3 at all costs, it's irredeemable garbage.

- Black Flag and Rogue are essentially the same game with a different story. Lots of emphasis on boat combat which is what draws most people. While Rogue has slight improvements, I prefer Black Flag because of the piracy

- I haven't played Unity, nor plan on doing so, but it's usually described as very pretty and technologically impressive while also being incredible dull.

- I'm not very far on Syndicate, but it's been great. You get two protags which are suited for different approaches, a more modern setting and a goddamn grappling hook

- I won't play Origins for a while but it has been largely praised for breathing life into a tired franchise.

Never played the Aveline game, DLCs or the sidescroller spin-offs.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DLC Inc posted:

Prey runs loving fine, please support your local Arkane

I wish they made one amazing game in the past 12 months instead of 3 pretty good ones

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Gotta say, being able to buy something and queue it up from the the store page is some next-gen poo poo.

HZD and Y0 are downloading. See you guys in like a year.

DanZX posted:

Ok, I think I’ll get the Ezio Trilogy for now.

Thanks goons

That's a good call. Just... space them out. I did Brotherhood + Revelations one after the other and by the end I was running on fumes, and this is coming from someone who loved the Ezio games.

Then 3 came along and assassinated any goodwill I had left.
/edit: In case I didn't make it clear enough:

Samuringa posted:

- Avoid 3 at all costs, it's irredeemable garbage.

4 is still super fun, but I've mostly ignored them since; played a bit of Syndicate and it was fun, but not enough for me to dive back. I'm keeping an eye on Origins though, I'm reading really good reviews.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 21, 2017

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I will always have a special hate for AC3, which soured me on the series so badly that I skipped AC4 and didn't learn it was good until like 2 years after it was released, and at this point I'm probably never going to go back and play it.

And now I'm remembering all the prelease hype AC3 got. God gently caress that game

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

acksplode posted:

I will always have a special hate for AC3, which soured me on the series so badly that I skipped AC4 and didn't learn it was good until like 2 years after it was released, and at this point I'm probably never going to go back and play it.

And now I'm remembering all the prelease hype AC3 got. God gently caress that game

Same. Everyone seems to love black flag but I absolutely hated the ship combat in 3 so I gave it a miss. Kinda curious but I really don't think i could be bothered going back to it now that origins is out

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

DanZX posted:

Ok, I think I’ll get the Ezio Trilogy for now.

Thanks goons

You’ll be skipping AC1 so let me give you the quick summary

You were a middle eastern Assassin during the crusades named Altair who went around assassinating members of the Knights Templar, over some important treasure from Solomon’s temple. You have a special sixth sense vision that makes you cooler than everyone else. You hosed up pretty bad and led them to your home base got a bunch of your own people killed so now your job is to kill them back in revenge and learn to maybe be less of a douchebag. This works, except it turns out that both sides are just the most recent iteration of an ancient forever war between a faction that wants to dominate the will of man for their own good, and a faction that doesn’t agree with that so much. Also your master turns out to be one of them, using you to settle a power struggle. You end up killing him and absorbing his leadership Highlander style. Also the treasure was an artifact of a precursor civilization that in this case causes illusions. Remember people in history that were purported to do supernatural things? One of these was involved.
Yeah, that’s right Jesus

Also I was lying. You’re not actually Altair. You’re a boring Nathan Drake named Desmond Miles who’s been picked up and held prisoner by a multinational corporation called Abstergo which in an amazing twist turns out to be the present incarnation of the Templars. Dr. Vidic and Kristen Bell strap you into into some lovely VR bed called an animus which generates a virtual world based on your genetic memories. Oh yeah, memories are in the DNA in this setting, go with it. Anyway, they have one of the treasures and they’re really big fans and need another one so they can launch a satellite to enslave all mankind, so they’re hoping your memories can give some locations.

At one point the modern assassins try and break in to save you, which is good. But they all die, which is bad. Kristen Bell turns out to be a double agent on your side, which is good. But... well there was a guy before you. See, it turns out that memories and skills can bleed over, and that means super assassin skills can leak over. That’s good. But you also end up losing the ability to discern where your memories end and your ancestor’s memories begin, you go insane, and there’s no cure. Which is what happened to your predecessor and that’s bad. At the very end, you awaken the same sixth sense as your ancestor and see everything your predecessor had written over he walls with his own blood before he died. There’s a lot of conspiracy poo poo.

Ac2 picks up right there.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
How do I delete received messages?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Olive! posted:

How do I delete received messages?

I think you have to leave the group

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

fruit on the bottom posted:

You’ll be skipping AC1 so let me give you the quick summary
If you're feeling like watching a fuckload of videos, Geop's LP of AC1 is a fantastic watch. He goes into detail about the historical context, references and setting, even giving mini history lessons in some of the episodes.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

I wish they made one amazing game in the past 12 months instead of 3 pretty good ones

They made 3 amazing games in the past 12 months :discourse:

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Why do I keep getting notifications about MKXL tournaments? Is there a notification setting I missed turning off?

DanZX
May 5, 2015

Thanks to all the goons that are giving so much info and backstory about AssCreed.

I was always curious about the franchise because of the different places and ages you could experience. Gonna start assassinating people as Ezio tonight.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

DanZX posted:

Thanks to all the goons that are giving so much info and backstory about AssCreed.

I was always curious about the franchise because of the different places and ages you could experience. Gonna start assassinating people as Ezio tonight.

Say goodbye to your sanity (do all the Subject 17 or whatever memories and all the tombs).

REQUIESCAT EN PACE.

DanZX
May 5, 2015

Fuzz posted:

Say goodbye to your sanity (do all the Subject 17 or whatever memories and all the tombs).

REQUIESCAT EN PACE.

Are those only in 2 or in every Ezio game?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Don't do all collectathons, that's for broken people. There are puzzles where you can piece some of the Ancient Aliens stuff and there are tombs with pieces of a hidden armor(I think there's one of those in every Asscreed after 2 but I only did it on the Ezio ones). Everything else is skippable

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Gotta say, being able to buy something and queue it up from the the store page is some next-gen poo poo.

HZD and Y0 are downloading. See you guys in like a year.

Man -- I wish. I'm trying to buy Wolf 2 while at work and it keeps telling there's an error and to try again later

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I bounced off Watch Dogs like three times because of its joyless protagonist, is 2 a significant improvement? Also, do they still do that weird thing where you can use weapons while driving a car?

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!
^Yes, it is much better than 1. At this moment, I'm not sure of the answer to your gun question.

Ok goons, I'm looking at R6:Siege and I have a few questions. For a little background, I really enjoyed the slower pace of "The Last of Us" multiplayer and play a lot of BF1 with some Destiny 2 on the side.

Do I need any version other than the base game if I don't care about superfluous characters or gun skins?
I realize that this is a team-focused game, but is playing solo with randoms at all possible or enjoyable?
Is it really all that tactical or does it just devolve into arena shooter style gameplay?
I realize that with most shooters knowing the maps is paramount, but will I at least stand a chance getting into it now?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

El Diablo Bob O posted:

^Yes, it is much better than 1. At this moment, I'm not sure of the answer to your gun question.

Ok goons, I'm looking at R6:Siege and I have a few questions. For a little background, I really enjoyed the slower pace of "The Last of Us" multiplayer and play a lot of BF1 with some Destiny 2 on the side.

Do I need any version other than the base game if I don't care about superfluous characters or gun skins?
I realize that this is a team-focused game, but is playing solo with randoms at all possible or enjoyable?
Is it really all that tactical or does it just devolve into arena shooter style gameplay?
I realize that with most shooters knowing the maps is paramount, but will I at least stand a chance getting into it now?

You can hop into R6 Siege PC thread because there's no console one and ask the same questions. I'm still in doubt about getting into Siege but reports from bugs and Ubisoft clunkyness always make me wary of it. It's a 2 year old game with a lot of patching, it'll be kinda hard to get into but I think you can enjoy it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

DanZX posted:

Are those only in 2 or in every Ezio game?

All the games will have some sort of tomb locations that you need to find and go to in order to get the best armor. These involve a lot of parkour and tend to be pretty reminiscent of Prince of Persia IMO.

2 and Brotherhood each have puzzles left by Subject 16 (the guy before you) which doesn’t actually impact the Ezio plot but does build out the conspiracy themes.

2 for example implies some things about how WWII tied into the Assassin/Templar war.

I don’t remember all the collections, most of them can be skipped I think but you can ask me when you come across one and I’m sure I’ll remember it. I think getting all the feathers in 2 gets you a very short scene.

The only collections really worth it in the franchise are in Black Flag where you collect sea shanties for your crew to sing.

Combat is super easy for the most part. Hidden Blade counters were basically OHKO in the first game and from II on they became easier to pull off, though Brotherhood gives you an amazing stealth crossbow you know what I’m gonna play that one again.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
20 bux for Prey seems like an easy investment, I liked the demo well enough, and as I understand it it IS a legitimately open setting with a lot of exploration opportunities.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the sea shanties were cool and collecting them was hilarious. you chased a musical note around like an absolute madman

always liked this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEWS5dGSDOc

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

got into the frozen wilds finally and god drat I almost forgot how much HZD loving owns

ok but really how the gently caress do I get a fox skin I've killed a handful to no avail and cannot find any in the woods. Just want that unlimited fast travel. Goodness I forgot about the atrocious load times though.

also this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_akwfRuL4os

:discourse: I thought it was an onion or collegehumor skit at first

lol at the flippant reporter question asking the dude at the end why he cares about the kids so much

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 22, 2017

DanZX
May 5, 2015

fruit on the bottom posted:

All the games will have some sort of tomb locations that you need to find and go to in order to get the best armor. These involve a lot of parkour and tend to be pretty reminiscent of Prince of Persia IMO.

2 and Brotherhood each have puzzles left by Subject 16 (the guy before you) which doesn’t actually impact the Ezio plot but does build out the conspiracy themes.

2 for example implies some things about how WWII tied into the Assassin/Templar war.

I don’t remember all the collections, most of them can be skipped I think but you can ask me when you come across one and I’m sure I’ll remember it. I think getting all the feathers in 2 gets you a very short scene.

The only collections really worth it in the franchise are in Black Flag where you collect sea shanties for your crew to sing.

Combat is super easy for the most part. Hidden Blade counters were basically OHKO in the first game and from II on they became easier to pull off, though Brotherhood gives you an amazing stealth crossbow you know what I’m gonna play that one again.

Thanks for all the info.

I like getting collectibles, especially if it fleshes the plot more.
Not sure about getting best armor or weapons is for me though.

Singing sea shanties with my pirate crew in 4 will be the best

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

20 bux for Prey seems like an easy investment, I liked the demo well enough, and as I understand it it IS a legitimately open setting with a lot of exploration opportunities.

I don't think its very good. It controls poorly and the enemies aren't fun to fight. The illusion of sequence breaking has captured the mind of many a goon though.

Saw it on gamefly for 12.99 yesterday.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
What the gently caress is with NFS yesterday and Battlefront 2 today discs being inserted and then on the install bar below it, having a pause icon.

I mean, its probably trying to save me the hassle of playing this poo poo, but those are maybe just the first 2 games I have noticed it. Is there a setting that maybe got toggled somewhere??

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!

Guillermus posted:

You can hop into R6 Siege PC thread because there's no console one and ask the same questions. I'm still in doubt about getting into Siege but reports from bugs and Ubisoft clunkyness always make me wary of it. It's a 2 year old game with a lot of patching, it'll be kinda hard to get into but I think you can enjoy it.

My first question was answered in the last couple of posts in that thread (base version it is), and at that price I might as well give it a go.

Thanks anyway!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Prey is fun to explore, the setting is very pretty and well-realized and the plot (and the various ways you can break it) is good. Regardless of this you will absolutely find combat to be a huge chore at least 2/3 of the way through if not sooner. Deal breaker for some but I thought it's strength made up for it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Prey would be a million times better without the enemies and if it was just a puzzle game like Portal or something.
Fighting the headcrab things is so so so bad

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I like the parts where I clearly hit the mimics with the wrench and they actually don't get hit instead

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

got into the frozen wilds finally and god drat I almost forgot how much HZD loving owns

ok but really how the gently caress do I get a fog skin I've killed a handful to no avail and cannot find any in the woods. Just want that unlimited fast travel. Goodness I forgot about the atrocious load times though.

skins are rare drops so keep killing them. there are skills to boost the amount and quality of drops iirc

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Oh my Bloodborne for 17.99 is better than any physical deal I can get. I might have to bite on that even though I prefer physical media

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
How is Far Cry Primal if I haven't played 3 or 4?

I'm interested in FC5 for the setting and I heard FC4 is great, but I have too many games on my plate right now to justify buying another full-length one...the sale on Primal had me considering picking that one up.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Manatee Cannon posted:

skins are rare drops so keep killing them. there are skills to boost the amount and quality of drops iirc

ah yeah I remember that now in the skill tree

ah gently caress other upgrades need the fox skin too, bleh

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hopper posted:

Oh my Bloodborne for 17.99 is better than any physical deal I can get. I might have to bite on that even though I prefer physical media

That's a bargain

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Hopper posted:

Just get it. For that price is a steal and a hell of a game.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

the sea shanties were cool and collecting them was hilarious. you chased a musical note around like an absolute madman

always liked this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEWS5dGSDOc

If you like that business

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue%27s_Gallery:_Pirate_Ballads,_Sea_Songs,_and_Chanteys

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

Forgot how annoying it was to kill an animal, see the light blue drop icon indicating a rare component, assume it was the skin you need and instead find a skull or teeth talisman.

DLC owns though. Really enjoyed the limited ammo challenge at the hunting grounds offered by that NPC from one of the other sidequests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Hunting foxes sucks but at least they're relatively common. Raccoons and owls are much more annoying.