Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Barudak posted:

It is a theoretical model to understand how people express their love for others in a relationship. If it works at all it does not work the way the people in the above story are using it unless you count manipulating your partner as a valid use.

Don't elevate this book to something its not. Its not a 'theoretical model.' Its a dude from a religious school writing about how he thinks relationships should work using a system pulled from his rear end. He isn't even consistent in his 'theoretical model.'

Sure hawks a lot of churchy DVDs and seminars, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Much like PUA bullshit this love language thing sounds like observing normal human interactions and attempting to apply rigid categorization and values to them.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Huntersoninski posted:

It's not necessarily a chore getting done, it's the other person going out of their way to do something nice for you. Like, making a cup of tea or fetching a pillow or running an errand. Putting the bathroom heater on when you know the other person's about to hop in the shower on a chilly morning or making them a casserole when they're going through a rough patch or helping them apply aloe to a sunburn or whatever. It's thinking of someone and then putting in real actual effort, however slight, to make their life easier/better. But yeah there's some overlap in there for sure.

how is that a love language tho that's just legitimately giving a poo poo about someone. If your partner isn't doing poo poo that makes life with them better than life without them then they're not worth dating and "but it's not my love language" is like the most laughable excuse.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

man i wish i had a dishwasher

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tender Bender posted:

Much like PUA bullshit this love language thing sounds like observing normal human interactions and attempting to apply rigid categorization and values to them.

It’s a symptom of perfidious addiction to stuff that sounds “just sciency enough” but with no real evidence of being true, usually established using technical-esque terms and lots of categories.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

ArbitraryC posted:

how is that a love language tho that's just legitimately giving a poo poo about someone. If your partner isn't doing poo poo that makes life with them better than life without them then they're not worth dating and "but it's not my love language" is like the most laughable excuse.

Right, the point of "love language" is to give a snappy label to a concept to allow people to approach communication better, that's all. You sort of re-contextualize little behaviors and come to understand the rules and expectations of your relationship, since literally all a relationship is is a set of rules and expectations that govern the way two or more people interact. Most relationships' rules are decided by society (the cashier and I should be polite and move quickly, the boss and employee should be professional, etc) The more personal the relationship, more you each decide what the rules should be. Giving normal communication handy titles you can grab onto like "love language" can be a tool for people to make themselves understood, that's all. Choice Theory psychology has a similar set of "needs" that govern peoples' personalities, but it's just a new way of looking at how things already are. Like of course it's just common sense and yeah in a perfect world people wouldn't need that, but here we are.

E: I think interpersonal communication is probably one of the most important things in any relationship ever, and a lot of people use labels like these to kick off a conversation and learn about themselves and others, which is awesome. However a lot of people use the labels to shut down a conversation (I'm an introvert, don't ask me to change, it's just my love language don't question me) and that's extremely lovely. But users and abusers gonna use and abuse, regardless of what tool they latch on to excuse it, but if poo poo like "love languages" can help some people look at what they're doing in a different way to a positive end, I'm not gonna get bent out of shape about it.

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 21, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

sandoz posted:

man i wish i had a dishwasher

It was also lol as gently caress because he was a money weenis and didn’t realize that by not whining about splitting the check when I also got a sodie pop he could have hypothetically gotten a woman with a substantial asset base. Rookie mistake.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I don't think it's even supposed to be sciencey, there is no "women like X because of berries" or anything afaik. It's just ideas, you could have one favorite, you could have four you like, whatever.

ArbitraryC posted:

Different people do different poo poo to make your life better. Like I really like to be touched a bunch casually in passing, so I was like "that's great when you do that" and now my boyfriend does it a bunch. Meanwhile he likes cute "saw x and thought of you" texts so I stepped that up. On the other hand my mom doesn't really do casual touch, but she'll pick up pumpkin-flavored stuff because she loves me for the basic bitch I am, and she loves getting thoughtful gifts back. It's not hard or complicated or rigid. It also isn't an excuse for anything unless you're as nuts/abusive as that one woman.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Right. It's just a tool to help people look at what they do and why, and what they want/need and why, for folks who maybe weren't ever taught to do that and could benefit from some helpful ideas on where to start.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
The only good relationship book is Mastery of Love by Don Miguel Ruiz because his advice is to stop being a whiner and take care of your own poo poo, stop trying to fix broke brained idiots, and to deal from strength or be crushed every time.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I didn’t say science, I said science-y (probably, navigating on my phone is hard). It’s about technical terms sounding more credible because of a way people are primed to think in mainstream Western culture. Always remember: any dumb gently caress can write a book, even with big words in it, and invent specious categorizations. Hell you might as well address your relationship by defining which ninja turtle you are.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I am a Raphael, I show affection through being rad and going off on my own sometimes to be ambushed by foot warriors. So, you know, spread em bitch

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I'd argue if Ninja Turtles got a couple talking about their needs and learning to be considerate of each other, that'd be totally fine and cool.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I'm getting confused, Pick keeps seeming to want to give relationship advice as if we don't know she is a sad emotional trainwreck that stalks people.

Pick can give relationship advice on dating people serving life in prison via the post if she ever manages to pull something off even that functional and emotionally healthy.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Pick posted:

I didn’t say science, I said science-y (probably, navigating on my phone is hard). It’s about technical terms sounding more credible because of a way people are primed to think in mainstream Western culture.
I said sciencey too, I just don't think it is sciencey. Words like "touch" and "giving gifts" aren't exactly technical terms imo

quote:

Always remember: any dumb gently caress can write a book, even with big words in it, and invent specious categorizations. Hell you might as well address your relationship by defining which ninja turtle you are.
That's fine, I've taken a lot of Cosmo quizzes in my day

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Turning human intimacy into a set of rules from a supplementary D&D 3.5e rulebook kind of sucks the joy out of loving someone.

Have you read the internet lately?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

I'm getting confused, Pick keeps seeming to want to give relationship advice as if we don't know she is a sad emotional trainwreck that stalks people.

Pick can give relationship advice on dating people serving life in prison via the post if she ever manages to pull something off even that functional and emotionally healthy.

Its like a junkie giving you advice on life choices - at least you know to do the opposite of whatever he did.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Three Olives posted:

Pick is basically our liason to the sad world of r/relationships weirdos, like you are to the equally sad world of idiot gay yuppies

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Pick posted:

It’s a symptom of perfidious addiction to stuff that sounds “just sciency enough” but with no real evidence of being true, usually established using technical-esque terms and lots of categories.
To be fair pretty sure that's been around for a while. The human tendency to fall for this crap, I mean.

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

:yum:

Here's some 'doesn't sound sciency at all' conflict!

Will my (26F) boyfriend (29M) ever get along with my parents (52F, 56M) if they listen to Alex Jones?

quote:

To start, I was raised in a very almost-fanatical Christian household where we were not allowed Christmas trees in the house or to celebrate Halloween because of its apparently satanic and pagan background. I was always the rebellious child who questioned the Bible, decorated the house on Christmas and snuck out for Halloween.

Once I started attending college, I pretty much finally felt free from the shackles of religion. I also became liberal and learned about the world and it was definitely a shock at first, especially after being sheltered for so long. For awhile, I was angry at my parents for trying to hide me from the world, I felt like I missed out on so much in my childhood.

Anyways - my parents are immigrants who support Trump and listen to Alex Jones. My dad even bought some of his products because he's afraid of the "apocalypse."

Anyways, when my boyfriend met my parents my dad brought up aliens and how he once saw a UFO. I had to change the subject because my dad would just start bringing up weird poo poo.

My parents don't like him because they assume that atheists could never be good people and that my boyfriend is disrespectful for not talking about religion with my dad.

My boyfriend thinks my parents are kooky but he tries to be civil with them. Still, for the most part, he does not like being around them. He also said that he loves me no matter how my parents are.

Is there a way I can make them get along or should I just give up? My parents are very stubborn people and do not listen to anyone younger than them.

tl;dr: My parents support Trump and Alex Jones and I'm worried that it would push my boyfriend away from me and my family.

Apparently the Dad is a doctor.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
My love language is being a hosed up manchild you have to take care of while also loving on the reg. I also communicate my love by not caring about you.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

pac man frogs posted:

Here's some 'doesn't sound sciency at all' conflict!

Will my (26F) boyfriend (29M) ever get along with my parents (52F, 56M) if they listen to Alex Jones?

Apparently the Dad is a doctor.

Your parents sound awful. Ghost them, but send cryptic messages that indicate you went into a Satanic Cult.

Lauroon Kyanka
Sep 17, 2017

*trips on a ladybug*

*dies of old age*
saw my mom naked. she was upside down in the shower. also she was crying. i had to give her some grape jelly to bring her blood sugar up. p sure we're in a relationship now.

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

:yum:

I do love the I was always the rebellious child who questioned the Bible, decorated the house on Christmas and snuck out for Halloween. bit, that's just precious. Her rebelliousness was knocked down several orders of magnitude growing up there, at the very least.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

GeneX posted:

Pick is basically our liason to the sad world of r/relationships weirdos, like you are to the equally sad world of idiot gay yuppies

Sad? My life is pretty awesome while Pick is a neverending pit of emotional dispair.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Lmao I went on like 2 dates with most of these guys for kicks, I did the smart thing and shot them down. I wasn’t in a relationship with them I just went on dates when I was single with people who asked me out. By angry internet rear end in a top hat standards I’m an angel.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
I made a discovery:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ChoosingBeggars

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I mean I've known some sad fuckin' losers in my time too.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thanks for showing me the next rabbit hole to jump into, jerk.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
My love language is doing exactly 50% of the household chores and being respected as a person. And a daily blowjob.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
this seems like kinda an extreme solution

My [20F] sister [16F] pretended to be kidknapped for 2 weeks so she could go on holiday with her boyfriend.

quote:

She was last seen on camera with her friend at the mall two weeks ago, her friend said they split up at the mall and she doesnt know what happened after they split up. We filed a missing persons report put flyers out everywhere. My sister friend came to my house yesterday and told sister us my sister wanted to go away with her boyfriend for a month but knew my parents wouldn’t allow it and so she faked being kidknapped so she could go on the trip and was going to resurface after the trip. My sisters friend came forward because she thought the whole thing had gone too far.

We finally managed to get hold of her boyfriend this morning and my dad has flown down to get my sister, I honestly don’t even know how I’m going to react when I see her again. My dad (the most reasonable of all of us is) is just glad she’s safe, but siblings and I want her out of the house for a while, my mom wants to send her to boarding school. We don’t even want to spend Christmas with her. Are we right to cut her off from the family ? I honestly never want to speak to her again and everyone except my dad feels like this. What she did was completely messed up. Are our reactions reasonable ? Please help.

Disclaimer: We live in the Southern Hemisphere and it’s summer atm and schools are closed hence them going away on a trip.

tl;dr: My sister faked being kidknapped so she could go on holiday with her boyfriend.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Well that sounds like a very good way to get extremely grounded for the rest of high school

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Shugojin posted:

Well that sounds like a very good way to get extremely grounded for the rest of high school

A for effort, F for planning/execution phase.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

this seems like kinda an extreme solution

My [20F] sister [16F] pretended to be kidknapped for 2 weeks so she could go on holiday with her boyfriend.

Should have sent demands for ransom then spent more time traveling the world.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Admiral Ray posted:

Should have sent demands for ransom then spent more time traveling the world.

It's this kind of thinking that made you an Admiral.

Rusty Rickshaw
Apr 30, 2008

The Snoo posted:

being a giant bitch is just how I show my love

> /r/relationships: being a giant bitch is just how I show my love

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Pick posted:

Lmao I went on like 2 dates with most of these guys for kicks, I did the smart thing and shot them down. I wasn’t in a relationship with them I just went on dates when I was single with people who asked me out. By angry internet rear end in a top hat standards I’m an angel.

They dodged a bullet besides being tricked on going on a date with you.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Three Olives posted:

They dodged a bullet besides being tricked on going on a date with you.

:ironicat:

Content:

Boyfriend (M24) of 8 months told me (19F) that he can manipulate me easily.

quote:

Today we were having a conversation about what makes us who we are, what type of people we strive to be, etc. Somehow within the conversation he ended up saying, “Yeah, you let people’s bullshit walk all over you, that’s why I can manipulate you so easily.”

He walked away after saying it and it hurt me quite a bit. I don’t even know how to interpret this, what should I do? Should I talk to him about it, ask him what he meant? Or is this just overthinking a simple comment? It’s very confusing and quite upsetting as we are supposed to be moving in a few weeks, this is making me rethink things.

TL;DR! - Boyfriend said he can “manipulate me easily”. What should I make out of this?

EDIT: Thank you for all of your comments. I appreciate them so greatly. You all have gave me more wisdom and confidence in this situation. I will post an update when everything is settled.

Run, don't walk!

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 22, 2017

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

If her update isn't "Broke up with pet rear end in a top hat" then she didn't get any wisdom or confidence from her feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ZearothK posted:

If her update isn't "Broke up with pet rear end in a top hat" then she didn't get any wisdom or confidence from her feedback.

People are telling her to use the fact that their lease is up to walk the gently caress away. Will she? (Probably not)

And now someone owning themselves just in time for the holidays:

Boyfriend [26M] revealed that I [24F] was the back-burner girl when we first met. He was gunning for someone else, but settled for me. How to get past this?

quote:

I know this all sounds super immature and I'm sure lots of you will tell me to grow up, but I've been so anxious and upset in the past two days I just need some advice.
So bf and I have been dating 1.4 years. We have amazing chemistry, perfectly matching values, strong attraction, and just everything else you want in a good partner. Oh yeah, I can definitively say we're in love.

Two days ago he told me something that really shocked me and I don't know how to deal with it yet. When we first met he told me that he liked me immediately and I felt the same. We "casually" dated for maybe 2-3 weeks before becoming official. During that time, he told me he wasn't seeing anyone else.

Well what actually happened was that while he was seeing me, he was also seeing this other girl, Alyssa. He met her first and was REALLY into her and wanted her to be his girlfriend. So, he confessed that he saw us at the same time, but what initially drove him to ask me out on a date was that his friends urged him to keep dating multiple girls to keep his mind off of Alyssa. When he met me, he said he felt some chemistry, but most of him still hoped that things with Alyssa would work out first and foremost.

Ultimately Alyssa wasn't interested after about a month or two of casual dating, and the day she texted him that was the day he met up with me and we became "official." I just feel...I dunno really hurt and confused? I told a few of my girlfriends, and they told me I'm being dramatic, that if our current relationship is good then that's all that matters.

But looking back I feel like a lot of things make sense now. I remember when we first started dating he'd tell me he was throwing these house parties on the weekend, but I was never invited. I always thought that was strange but never cared too deeply. Well, now I know that he threw those parties with the sole purpose of inviting Alyssa, so not inviting me was very strategic. Furthermore, I remember how he'd take FOREVER to get back to me about plans I suggested. It turns out he was intentionally waiting to see if Alyssa would be free first, before committing to any plans with me. The worst thing I found out was when he canceled on a carefully planned date night of mine because she asked him out to coffee last-minute. He had claimed he was sick to me.

Now he told me all of this out of guilt because apparently she texted him out of the blue a few days ago. He said he immediately felt guilty for lying to me all those times for her, and he's blocked her number since. I know this all happened ages ago, but why do I still feel so terrible and am I being overdramatic? We have a great relationship now, but I can't help but wonder what would've happened had Alyssa decided to date my bf. I'm sure he would've chosen her.
Anyways, what should I do now, move on or what?

tl;dr: Bf was seeing another girl while casually dating me. Tried to make her his girlfriend first, but when she rejected him he immediately asked me to be his girlfriend instead. Tells me now after 1.4 years. Am I being overdramatic for being upset over this?

He obviously has really bad judgment, so you should break up with him. To quote the top reply:

quote:

He should have taken that poo poo to the grave. What is he trying to accomplish by telling you this anyway?