Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
where can I sign up for this transhuman gamerism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
rivet my broken hands right onto the controller

it is my destiny

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Doesn't work as well as advertised. My fongats are still stinging.

What are you gonna play first though? :D

Prey or Jojo I guess. Horizon hasn't arrived yet.

How do I delete the 6 spam messages I've already gotten? I set messages to 'friends only' immediately when setting the ps4 up but I guess the bots sent me these since I made a PSN account for PS Now some months ago.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Have fun with the bad jojos

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

idk if any of yall know what HQ Trivia is but someone tried to write an article about the host and the CEO completely went off on them it's amazing.

quote:

Yusupov replied that Rogowsky was absolutely not allowed to say that he "enjoys making people happy and giving them the trivia they want."

"He cannot say that people want trivia," said Yusupov, the founder of HQ Trivia app.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

Woah now, Super Mario Land is a diamond.

let's not go crazy here

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

wow an actual dog that speaks greek

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Are you a millionaire from playing this yet

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

It's a valid question, Colonel.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What is a Valkyrie doing there!!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

you can't fire scott you'll regret this

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I bought Yakuza 0 and Horizon Zero Dawn on the PSN sale.

I think I made a good decision.

I already have Bloodborne

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
This will either be really cool or completely unremarkable: A never-seen-before enemy(Flaming Undead Giant) was found in a Chalice Dungeon in Bloodborne

I mean, it's just the same enemy with a slightly different pattern, but it's neat that people are still finding stuff out about the game.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/congressedits/status/933044288153440256

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

PantsBandit posted:

Woah now, Super Mario Land is a diamond.

Chip Tanaka is a wizard (listen to his solo album)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb33Qnbw520

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/933102746630107141

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
guess belgium just can't handle basic video game industry practices

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

gently caress yeah, Belgium

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

good, we should go after microtransactions the way we went after cigarettes

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

welcome to gamer country, is what the custom agents tell you when you land in belgium

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Going to laugh when EA loses a shitload of money when they can't sell loot crates in FIFA anymore.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Hooray for Belgium!

Also the two+ pages of gaming band names were :golfclap:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Going to laugh when EA loses a shitload of money when they can't sell loot crates in FIFA anymore.

I hope this happens.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

looks like america wins again :smug:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

What about all the people who will lose their lives to unregulated loot boxes? People opening up loot boxes with arsenic in it and poo poo

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

homeless snail posted:

welcome to gamer country, is what the custom agents tell you when you land in belgium

I think you mean not gamer country, since clearly game companies will no longer be able to make a profit there because games are too expensive without loot boxes.

That was pretty fast though. Probably because it's obvious to anyone with eyes.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Is there a thread for quick & lovely photoshops?

e: $10-20 for 2 quick shops. Sign up.

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 22, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I'm excited to play battlefront 3 in vegas only

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

drat, I didn't think Belgium would actually end up opposing loot boxes, much less a week after the initial controversy.

This train isn't stopping anytime soon, is it?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Hooray for Belgium!

Also the two+ pages of gaming band names were :golfclap:

i didn't understand half of them because i only listen to 100 FM The Pike, worcester's home for classic hits and 102.3 the Wolf

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I'm sceptical about whether anything will come of it, but I wonder what a ban would mean for CCGs like Hearthstone and Gwent and such. They kind of revolve around opening "loot boxes", and have since before loot boxes were a thing.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress those guys too. They can put the actual cards in the store, instead of having you gamble for them.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Good for Belgium.

Elsewhere in the country that matters, the FCC discusses rolling back Net Neutrality because it "harms the consumer" and eliminates competition (please ignore that majority of the competition was bought out intentionally to create a situation where you have one choice in ISP and you'll loving like it). John Lasseter takes a leave of absence ahead of allegations that the guy has been groping employees for decades. A defensive move called "the Lasseter" where you put your hands on your thighs was invented.

2017: poo poo rear end year, some drat fine games.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

card rarity as a system loving sucks and makes card games worse for its presence, so good, gently caress em

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Codeacious posted:

drat, I didn't think Belgium would actually end up opposing loot boxes, much less a week after the initial controversy.

This train isn't stopping anytime soon, is it?

Publishers are no strangers to having to circumvent restrictions on monetization in certain countries. If they don't suspend sales of the game in Beligum, they can provide a region specific build of the game where character progression is extremely slow and they player can choose to buy XP boosters or Star Card powerups a la carte at inflated prices. It's been done before when localizing games in countries like China or South Korea.

Furthermore, loot boxes are just one of many battle-tested monetization models. For example, a game like Clash Royale has the player win chests from battles and events which have a lengthy timer on them. Each chest contains a set of items that the player can receive by waiting for the timer to tick down in real time. The length of time increases with the chest's rarity and you can only have the timer tick down on a limited number of items concurrently. So each player is guaranteed the payout of each chest but paying customers will be immediately go through their chests and use their new items to snowball. Furthermore, chest rarity is not random and chest drops instead follow a cycle that resets after its completed.

Imagine if Battlefront II had a similar business model. Players wouldn't use real currency to purchase crates but win timed crates from winning in the game. Players who choose to bypass the timers and open time-consuming rare chests would advance at a much more rapid pace than players who waited to unlock an ever growing number of lootcrates in their backlog. It's essentially a fancy XP boost you can buy while keeping the infectious excitement of opening a loot box.

Sunning fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 22, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

What about all the people who will lose their lives to unregulated loot boxes? People opening up loot boxes with arsenic in it and poo poo

i don't mean this, i mean like how you can't advertise cigarettes with cute animal characters anymore. forcing microtransactions to be as sterile and distant as linguistically possible would cripple the IAP market overnight

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I'm glad of it.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
True or false: Any card that is simply "Draw two cards/energy/etc." with no drawbacks other than having to shuffle your deck afterwords is automatically the best card in their respective game until the card is inevitably changed, banned or something else happens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

True, if the game allows you to play multiple cards per turn, and decking yourself isn't likely/an issue.

• Locked thread