Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yeah the H variant just didn't seem so good in the test run I flew for it. It's wings look like crappy straight edges rather than the sexy laminar flow on the D block variants. What I want to know is why the D-30 costs 22000 in repairs while the D-20 is only 7700 and the D-5 is 13000. I actually started losing money on flyouts while trying to spade the D-30, but now it's probably my favourite dogfighter in the T4 USA lineup.
Of course that doesn't help any against German teams which will habitually place your mustang at high altitude against 6+ 109s while the flight of Wyverns and Narvals blow up jeeps with 1000kg bombs.

The D-20 costs little because its premium. Premium vehicles pretty much always get lowered repair costs. The thing is even with the D-30's repair cost you should be averaging more than enough kills per death to make a killing with it. It's a downright unfair plane if you know what you're doing.

Azran posted:

There is a rangefinder :psyduck: I had no idea. Not that I'd use it, I am really bad at reading the numbers on the reticles. 2, 4, 6, etc. No idea what they even refer to.

The numbers correspond to hundreds of meters; that is to say, the line that's marked with 2 shows how much your shell will drop after 200m of flight time, the line marked with 4 how much it'll have dropped after 400m of flight time, and so on.

So say you've flanked and got yourself a clear shot at an enemy that's trying to snipe from the back of the map. You have time to spare to aim your shot properly, but are unsure as to how far up you need to aim to get an accurate hit. If you aim at him and use the rangefinder, and it tells you the tank is at 700m, you know to aim by centering the line line that's between 6 and 8 on the tank. So where you might have otherwise eyeballed it and potentially missed, possibly alerting your target or an ally of theirs to your presence, you are almost guaranteed a solid first (excluding fuckery due to inaccurate, unupgraded guns).

This gets progressively more helpful if you find yourself in a long-range engagement in something with a lot of drop, like a KV-2, where eyeballing it is not very viable. Conversely, if you *can* accurately eyeball it, that's always better than using the rangefinder since you don't have to wait for it. But even so you should still learn how to do it for those cases where you can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

What I want to know is why the D-30 costs 22000 in repairs while the D-20 is only 7700 and the D-5 is 13000.

the d-30 is the cool mustang variant that cyberaces fly, the d-5 is the variant that normal people fly, and the d-20 is the variant that the dregs of the earth fly

this used to be more pronounced back in the day when the d-30 had like ten times the repair cost of the d-5

speaking of, does japan still pay a hilarious tax for repair costs?

finally: returning to keybind chat, it is incredibly important that you bind cockpit lights and opening the canopy, the two most important functions in war thunder

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, Japan's repair costs are way high. They had reduced them at some point but in the latest round of economy changes they more or less reverted that.

At the same time they made the Tu-4 and B-29 downright unprofitable so it's a mixed bag.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Well, looks like I can't play the Potez anymore, lest I ruin this perfect KDR.

It's a really bad plane, but somehow people demand to die to it like groupies to a vampire.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
now you see why ppl roleplay erich hartmann

YF-23 posted:

Yeah, Japan's repair costs are way high.

what repairs? :japan:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Thief posted:

what repairs? :japan:

The only way to repair Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NaHlxOC94Y

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.
Speaking of costs, they're finally slashing costs for tanks.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/2/d/e/2PACX-1vR_be1BWVikO-BkRuOWjn_wBIvFl2eRTOuDaKzTcii3ogGIzRIZzsrC0P050-B521MbOKLxMjuYL_8C/pubhtml

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Nice. If it wasn't for Skyrim VR I'd be on Discord and grinding towards getting an M163 to accompany my T114.

e: which is going t6 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vSc5VzNaNrwdNOtBWYUnaDtgEuZjibR8B-iF0d0xAj9YkYdS8hOZiMTYXx3_8oSNnSM1SjBGdt8VHFx/pubhtml so whenever that rolls out, awesome.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 21, 2017

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

loving finally. These price drops might actually get me to start playing seriously again and buy some premium time at the xmas sale.

Staring at all those 220,000 and 380,000 RP grinds was so demoralizing. Especially when new vehicles seemed to automatically be put in at 220,000 RP despite older vehicles at that BR costing half that.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
The price drops are awesome, I'm getting into tier IV now where all the changes are really significant.

Some repair costs are going up, which is just great, thanks gaijin.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Lol they have just been making GBS threads all over the M60A2 recently

EmDuck
Feb 16, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

It's a really bad plane, but somehow people demand to die to it like groupies to a vampire.

So its an even lower tier and less whale-like Do 217 N-1/N-2?

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

MrLonghair posted:

Nice. If it wasn't for Skyrim VR I'd be on Discord and grinding towards getting an M163 to accompany my T114.

e: which is going t6 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vSc5VzNaNrwdNOtBWYUnaDtgEuZjibR8B-iF0d0xAj9YkYdS8hOZiMTYXx3_8oSNnSM1SjBGdt8VHFx/pubhtml so whenever that rolls out, awesome.

Are module costs staying the same? Because after a while, that's the real problem. Getting a vehicle is much easier than making it usable. Parts and FPE are the bare minimum, but you also need weapon upgrades for accuracy or to even penetrate peers. Any tank that has just enough engine power spaded is unbearable without performance mods, like the Chieftain or Pershing.

Sard fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 21, 2017

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Sard posted:

Are module costs staying the same? Because after a while, that's the real problem. Getting a vehicle is much easier than making it usable. Parts and FPE are the bare minimum, but you also need weapon upgrades for accuracy or to even penetrate peers. Any tsnk that has just enough engine power spaded is unbearable without performance mods, like the Chieftain or Pershing.

The total module cost is roughly tied to vehicle RP cost, looking around and running numbers they may stay outrageously expensive.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Sard posted:

Are module costs staying the same? Because after a while, that's the real problem. Getting a vehicle is much easier than making it usable. Parts and FPE are the bare minimum, but you also need weapon upgrades for accuracy or to even penetrate peers. Any tsnk that has just enough engine power spaded is unbearable without performance mods, like the Chieftain or Pershing.

Hell even the Leo suffers, because the 3 power mods total like 150 HP and like a second of acceleration time. Module costs are definitely too high for later stuff currently.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Yes, modifications are also going to be cheaper.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Solumin posted:

Yes, modifications are also going to be cheaper.

Are you just pulling this out of your rear end or did they state it somewhere? Because if as you said you’re just hitting tier 4 now you have no idea just how much worse it gets. The modules in a 5.7-6 are something like 7-10k, in a 7.0+ they are almost 40. 3-4 games vs something closer to 20 each. When your actually usable ammo requires 90+ games or like $15 in gold to unlock, its pretty unbearable after awhile.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 21, 2017

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Mazz posted:

Are you just pulling this out of your rear end or did they state it somewhere? Because if as you said you’re just hitting tier 4 now you have no idea just how much worse it gets. The modules in a 5.7-6 are something like 7-10k, in a 7.0+ they are almost 40. 3-4 games vs something closer to 20 each. When your actually usable ammo requires 90+ games are like $15 in gold to unlock, its pretty unbearable after awhile.

RP requirements for vehicle and modification research will be reduced

SL requirements for vehicle and modification purchase will be reduced

https://warthunder.com/en/news/5127-development-preliminary-research-and-purchase-changes-for-ground-vehicles-rank-3-5-en

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Im glad of it!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I've heard the module costs are terrible at really high tiers. I'm going to guess they're going from 90 battles each to 70. It's a change but it's not going to make it easy.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Solumin posted:

I've heard the module costs are terrible at really high tiers. I'm going to guess they're going from 90 battles each to 70. It's a change but it's not going to make it easy.

Depends on the tank really, and how much the reductions are. The M103 and M60 got the costs cut nearly in half, which is pretty huge.

Some tanks are pretty okay stock and some need their ammo or engine upgrades real loving bad.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I can believe that. I remember trying to unlock APDS on the Comet. That was hell.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

funny, planes don’t have this problem

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

BBJoey posted:

Easily fixable problem really.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

BBJoey posted:

I got to the Venom during the anniversary sale. It is my first top tier jet. It's not as bad as tanks have it, but you're kidding yourself if you think planes are immune to the stock grind nightmare.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

BBJoey posted:

Ah yes, all those 8.0+ jets who are insanely good stock and totally don't need about 50 games to get all the performance mods.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
Jet modules unlock real quick for me, usually 2-3 sim tonk games per module assuming there's a few planes you can kill in each one. Sometimes less if you already have pylons. Or you can do a 30 minute session in EC and get most of a module and then rejoin, since I think there's diminishing returns if you stick around for the entire match.

I spaded the venom in 25 games, granted I was mostly farming bot R2Y2's and tanks.

I'm always happy to see lower rp costs, though.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Sadly Sim is not an option for many, like me, because I don't own a stick. RB is WAY more cutthroat when it comes to trying to fly stock jets, especially thanks to BR compression.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

BBJoey posted:

yet people still believe they lost because they didn't have the improved window armor

e: the complaints are coming from inside the thread

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 22, 2017

Sard
May 11, 2012

Corky Romanovsky posted:

yet people still believe they lost because they didn't have the improved window armor

e: the complaints are coming from inside the thread

You can get kills with a stock plane if the other player is bad—and they usually are—but it's the height of smug stupidity to think that you aren't at a severe disadvantage in a stock jet, or using an ammo belt where two of out of every three shells does almost no damage, and sprays like a shotgun. Some aircraft are fine stock. Some are torture. It usually leans more towards torture the further up the tiers you go, at least for anything that relies on speed more than agility.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

thats not candy posted:

Jet modules unlock real quick for me, usually 2-3 sim tonk games per module assuming there's a few planes you can kill in each one. Sometimes less if you already have pylons. Or you can do a 30 minute session in EC and get most of a module and then rejoin, since I think there's diminishing returns if you stick around for the entire match.

I spaded the venom in 25 games, granted I was mostly farming bot R2Y2's and tanks.

I'm always happy to see lower rp costs, though.

The thing I like most about this post is that you're assuming everyone can easily spot and shoot planes moving at jet speed in sim even if we did have a stick. Thanks for the vote of confidence :)

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 22, 2017

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Flakkenin' is whats happenin '

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

I have hated almost every single Tier-4/5 aircraft I've unlocked stock, they're competitive the same way the people bringing M22s and Pumas into BR 9.0 matches are competitive.

On the upside the grind to make them not suck is a lot less terrible than it is for tanks.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

GrossMurpel posted:

The thing I like most about this post is that you're assuming everyone can easily spot and shoot planes moving at jet speed in sim even if we did have a stick. Thanks for the vote of confidence :)

50 bux for a stick unlocks the most fun and easiest mode there is in this game, where even stock vehicles can own. Sure, there's always going to be people who can't master something no matter how much time or effort they put in, and yes spotting can sometimes be difficult, but that's why you play in a squad and use voice comm.

Anyways, jet combat is rarely anywhere near transonic speeds in sim, its not too different from tier 4. Bots rarely break 300 knots and don't maneuver much or at all, and players are often the same or fly nothing but prop bombers. In combined battles your targets are confined to a small area and are usually going slow in order to spot tanks and strafe for their team. Jets are fun.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

lots of people complaining about stock syndrome in response to the guy whom spaded the yak-15 and yak-15p

Sard
May 11, 2012

BBJoey posted:

yak-15 and yak-15p

my dude

I've almost got the Yak-17 done

Sard fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 22, 2017

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

BBJoey posted:

lots of people complaining about stock syndrome in response to the guy whom spaded the yak-15 and yak-15p

Gotta day, looking at this image while nostalgia-listening to old RATM albums is a helluva thing.

Sard
May 11, 2012

:rip: Good Sinai :rip:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
D.371 helpin make the :france: reroll start out as painlessly as possible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I-RTMfLaeY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Sard posted:

:rip: Good Sinai :rip:

AB, right?