Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

a card that says You Win is probably better but yeah card advantage is usually a plus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

False, the best cards let you draw specific cards from your deck.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

oddium posted:

a card that says You Win is probably better but yeah card advantage is usually a plus

Do a lot of card games do that or is it just Exodia

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Combat Theory posted:

The State of Hawaii announces action to address predatory practices at Electronic Arts and other companies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_akwfRuL4os

lol it's spreading already.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

Not counting otk combos, magic has a few that say win the game, though not on simply drawing. Off the top of my head I think door to nothingness does that.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Ea got too greedy too fast and hosed it up for everyone.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

magic has had a couple You Win cards, they mostly suck though. exodia is something you could conceivably win with

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It only took EA falling on their sword to remove black lion chests from GW2, and I'm suuuuper glad of it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

yeah

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?text=+[you]+[win]+[the]+[game]

e: rude bad parsing

oddium fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 22, 2017

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
EA's going to get beat up in the parking lot by all the other Devs for ruining it for everyone

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Shoulda pushed loot boxes before all the Boomers were dead/dying and no one in government knew poo poo about games.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

chumbler posted:

Not counting otk combos, magic has a few that say win the game, though not on simply drawing. Off the top of my head I think door to nothingness does that.
there were also all those dumb poison cards in the early expansions

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
This is a good thing but I foresee a lot of companies jumping through loopholes about what qualifies as a "loot box".

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Internet Kraken posted:

This is a good thing but I foresee a lot of companies jumping through loopholes about what qualifies as a "loot box".

No see you pay for these ball bearings and then you run them next door and you get a random TF2 hat.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Truga posted:

lol it's spreading already.

Would all this legislation mean that even "Play-gambling for Fun" with fake currency you can't acquire with real money will be banned?

At least that would mean there would be no point in anyone asking for the Game Corner to return in the next Pokemon. They'd be legally required to not put one in.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

hey buddy voltorb flip is a game of skill

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't see why gambling minigames that don't involve real currency at all would be affected by this.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Would all this legislation mean that even "Play-gambling for Fun" with fake currency you can't acquire with real money will be banned?

At least that would mean there would be no point in anyone asking for the Game Corner to return in the next Pokemon. They'd be legally required to not put one in.
they already don't do that because ESRB would make them put the G-word on the box, but if they sold virtual pokemon with random pokemon inside that's just fine lmao

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

drat, it's a shame we're not in Europe anymore.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The ESRB already has to certify games in many cases. They can just add this to the list of elements that they have to certify for. It should be straightforward to eliminate most loopholes. Anything that requires paying real money for a random outcome would be bad. Any random outcome that can be obtained from a currency that can be converted into from real money would also be bad.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Cracking open packs in video games (pre-microtransactions at least) was always a good feeling though. I'm talking the Pokemon TCG Game Boy games, the two AC!D titles...

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Just getting rid of funbux would also be a huge improvement.

I don't know poo poo about law, but if they go the route of argument of making parallels to physical goods, I wonder if that might have a knock on effect on DRM.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Cracking open packs in video games (pre-microtransactions at least) was always a good feeling though. I'm talking the Pokemon TCG Game Boy games, the two AC!D titles...

That's the feeling businesses are monetizing and exploiting, and I think it's reasonable to be suspicious and critical of the extremes to which these companies are exploiting our awful, broken brains.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I spend a lot of time gambling in Dragon Quest so they better make a distinction.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I just realized isn't this going to totally pop the free to play bubble

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Phantasium posted:

Have fun with the bad jojos

I am!

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Not only will this kill the FIFA Ultimate Team industry, it's also going to kill the "Making YouTube Videos of Unboxing FIFA Ultimate Team Packs" industry.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Not only will this kill the FIFA Ultimate Team industry, it's also going to kill the "Making YouTube Videos of Unboxing FIFA Ultimate Team Packs" industry.

Who are the millions of people watching those

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Yessss. Chaos reigns!

in non-news, my zoo on mother base is expanding its collection. still missing a sand cat.

e: also it's children. children are watching the unboxing videos.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This deals getting better all the time!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I went count these eggs before their hatched. The industry has A LOT of money to spend to make sure that the worst that happens to the F2P economy is superficial.

And, ever if this somehow takes down predatory game practices, it's gonna take like a minimum of 5 years

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I can't wait for the dystopian future in which Big Games rivals Big Pharma and Big Guns for lobbying dollars.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Loot boxes alone don't make up the extent of F2P exploitation. A common system used in a lot of mobile games is they gate your playtime or certain essential mechanics behind an "energy" system. You can play the game for free but what you can do is greatly limited by your energy. You get a little bit of energy for free each day, but if you just can't resist playing more you can conveniently buy as much as you want! :downs:

glam rock hamhock posted:

I went count these eggs before their hatched. The industry has A LOT of money to spend to make sure that the worst that happens to the F2P economy is superficial.

And, ever if this somehow takes down predatory game practices, it's gonna take like a minimum of 5 years

Also the good ol' USA will probably not give a poo poo about any of this.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
brexit happned bcause gamers knew the EU would come for their lootboxes

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

glam rock hamhock posted:

i dunno, didn't the EU putting pressure on valve to offer refunds work out really drat quick? like, they implemented the "refund beta" within weeks, and now we have the set-in-stone refund rules we have today?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I'm having fun thinking of loot box laundering schemes here, heh. Given how quickly Blizzard stepped around the probability transparency thing in China, I'm sure their marketing people have a bunch of ideas already, probably in some hidden briefcase somewhere like in the movies.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think that the last time I thought about Belgium was reading about how they were the country that had gone the longest without a sitting government. Now that I think about it, I could probably go for some Belgian waffles right now.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'm having fun thinking of loot box laundering schemes here, heh. Given how quickly Blizzard stepped around the probability transparency thing in China, I'm sure their marketing people have a bunch of ideas already, probably in some hidden briefcase somewhere like in the movies.

It's probably just on a shared google doc with the marketing team or something

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think that the last time I thought about Belgium was reading about how they were the country that had gone the longest without a sitting government. Now that I think about it, I could probably go for some Belgian waffles right now.

They're one of the founding members of the EU, and they stole land from the forefathers of Luxembourg. Bring our country back and restore our borders!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

homeless snail posted:

they already don't do that because ESRB would make them put the G-word on the box, but if they sold virtual pokemon with random pokemon inside that's just fine lmao

• Locked thread