Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I picked up hearthstone this weekend because I hate myself and I gotta day, it’s a little frustrating that the default character is the blonde blue eyed mage with big boobs. Like it has to be degrading to women who play, right? Here is the woman avatar, she’s scantily clad with comical amounts of cleavage because we can’t have our artists tone it down because we’d lose the creepy loner demo. I get that you can unlock other avatars or whatever but man, it’s really lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

areyoucontagious posted:

I picked up hearthstone this weekend because I hate myself and I gotta day, it’s a little frustrating that the default character is the blonde blue eyed mage with big boobs. Like it has to be degrading to women who play, right? Here is the woman avatar, she’s scantily clad with comical amounts of cleavage because we can’t have our artists tone it down because we’d lose the creepy loner demo. I get that you can unlock other avatars or whatever but man, it’s really lame.

there are 8 different classes to play as, i get what you mean about the eye rolling fanservice but you're not exactly stuck with her

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

But don't play hearthstone because it's an RNG pile of crap.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
don't play blizzard games at all tbh

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

areyoucontagious posted:

i'm a woman and i didn't give a poo poo, jaina is great

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Jaina sucks but not so much because of her design. (Though her design is also lame)

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

areyoucontagious posted:

Whoops.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The best way to play Hearthstone is to uninstall it and play Gwent instead.

Although Gwent isn't on mobile, which drags it down.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

rydiafan posted:

The best way to play Hearthstone is to uninstall it and play Gwent instead.

Although Gwent isn't on mobile, which drags it down.

what's the big boobs status for gwent though? cause it sounds like it's got some work to to do get on hearthstone's level

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Pretty good.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

areyoucontagious posted:

SMITE isn't a card game but it's even worse about that.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cleretic posted:

I found the interesting part about Skyward Sword at the time to be that while the motion controls were terrible, and everyone had issues with them, they were always different issues. The Wii Motion Plus was good enough to detect little movement idiosyncrasies that you didn't think you had, but not good enough to actually compensate for them, so everyone's experience was a slightly different type of terrible.

Like, I had no issues whatsoever with the bird's controls, the bird was fine for me. My problem was that I got overexcited in combat sections, which led to issues where I over-swung when doing horizontal slashes to the point where they counted as diagonals.

Even base Wii motion controls have such a weirdly vast range of anecdotes about them that I have to assume there's a lot of potential variables with optimal distance from the screen, interference, and other factors. (Either that or tons of people vastly over-exaggerated.) I honestly don't recall ever once having a problem with motion controls myself*, but plenty of people out there have claimed they never properly worked for them, ever, at all, even in first party Nintendo games. :iiam:

I wonder how many people didn't set the correct above/below TV sensor bar option or never once ran calibration and then got mad when nothing worked right.

*Edit: Minor correction, I recall anything involving the nunchuk being a bit of a pain since the accelerometer wasn't nearly as sophisticated as the main Wiimote. So a lot of the energy lasso stuff in Metroid Prime 3 for example felt pretty clumsy.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 03:30 on Nov 21, 2017

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I wasn't fond of motion controls in general but for most games I only considered them an inconvenience. Skyward Sword was so bad I ended up swearing off Nintendo consoles.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

rodbeard posted:

I wasn't fond of motion controls in general but for most games I only considered them an inconvenience. Skyward Sword was so bad I ended up swearing off Nintendo consoles.

I know what you mean. I once ate a sandwich that was so bad, I swore off bread forever.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I skipped breath of the wild, and the switch, because the wii and wii u were bad and I didn't like them, and the last Zelda game I had any fun with was Wind Waker and I didn't like either Mario Galaxy much so I don't mind not playing Odyssey either.

Anyway, I'm playing the .hack GU port on steam and every time I play these games I always forget the beginning is like, an hour of non-stop cutscenes plus two repeat tutorials. Also they made the game easier for some reason. It wasn't hard to begin with, but now you just do more damage in general, so an already easy series becomes near mindless.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

areyoucontagious posted:

yeah that's most of the female characters that aren't like dragons or whatever. I think they're better about it in later expansions, but also the game is garbage

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

John Murdoch posted:

*Edit: Minor correction, I recall anything involving the nunchuk being a bit of a pain since the accelerometer wasn't nearly as sophisticated as the main Wiimote. So a lot of the energy lasso stuff in Metroid Prime 3 for example felt pretty clumsy.

I had no issue with the lasso in Prime 3, either, but I think that's because I like to lean into motion controls and make movements similar to what they actually seem to depict (which led to my Skyward Sword problem, my swings were full-on swings). The lasso was fine if you give a bit of weight to your tugging and try to match Samus ripping off a plate or something.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

In no world are motion controls better than standard no wiggle controls. I could flail my arms around or you could let me press a.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Hilariously the one time I found waggle controls worked wasn't even on a controller built for it - the Order of the Phoenix game was designed for Wii, but it also came out on the PS2 and they just assigned all motion controls to the right analog stick - performing the different spells was actually fairly effortless, tap the stick away from you twice for Depulso, toward you twice for Accio, push up and wiggle left and right for Wingardium Leviosa, etc. It all felt very appropriate for the effect you wanted the spell to have.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

BioEnchanted posted:

Just tried to play Brave Fencer Musashi for the first time - that loving robot knight boss is taking the piss as there is no way to save before the fight, so if I want to try again I'll have to go through the entire first dungeon again. No thanks. I think I'm done.

Is that how it is? I figured you’d just reset before the boss or something. I literally never died to him despite playing through the game like 5 times so I dunno what to say. It’s a drat fun game, though, especially for the time it came out

food court bailiff posted:

I used to love this game and would totally play it again were it available on the PSN but like a quarter of the way in there's some puzzle that requires knowledge of shogi or something to progress, and since I had the game before I had the internet, I was stuck there forever. Dragged It Down.

You don’t need the internet or knowledge of shogi to beat that puzzle. Once you rescue the Librarian (I think) you can access a bunch of books specifically on shogi that spell out all the rules for you

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 11:29 on Nov 21, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Kit Walker posted:

Is that how it is? I figured you’d just reset before the boss or something. I literally never died to him despite playing through the game like 5 times so I dunno what to say. It’s a drat fun game, though, especially for the time it came out

It is, but I lost patience and stopped playing after failing a bunch of times due to not being able to avoid his more damaging attacks. I may give it another go, because I felt I improved, but the game definitely needs me to learn how to compensate for outdated controls.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

BioEnchanted posted:

It is, but I lost patience and stopped playing after failing a bunch of times due to not being able to avoid his more damaging attacks. I may give it another go, because I felt I improved, but the game definitely needs me to learn how to compensate for outdated controls.

Only tip I got is to jump to the side to dodge the wrecking ball attack, and you should also be able to see his shadow when he does his jump attack, so it shouldn’t be that hard to get away from it. Sounds like you were almost all the way through the fight.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cleretic posted:

I had no issue with the lasso in Prime 3, either, but I think that's because I like to lean into motion controls and make movements similar to what they actually seem to depict (which led to my Skyward Sword problem, my swings were full-on swings). The lasso was fine if you give a bit of weight to your tugging and try to match Samus ripping off a plate or something.

It worked fine for me all the time except when it didn't. Not a huge failure rate or anything but noticeable enough for me to go "huh, this thing is a bit awkward" which stood out when compared to the aiming which was smooth and intuitive and for a brief moment I thought shooters could be a big deal on the Wii. I guess it's also possible some of it was just down to the crappy ergonomics of the nunchuk rather than the motion controls themselves.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Started playing through the PS2 Chamber of Secrets game, just because it's one of many games that I haven't beaten, but god the night-time missions are a slog. Every area has either way too many prefects, or way to many enemies, like your first visit to the library is at night and it is swarmed with 3 prefects in a tiny room, then in the library proper, dozens of ghosts as well as the books throwing themselves into you, and all the shortcuts/secret passages are crammed full of firecrabs. Just got the Expelliarmus spell though and the bosses are at least vaguely entertaining. Just not looking forward to the nighttime parts, the games all seem to thing that forcing stealth is a good idea when it never works quite like they wanted it to, and the amount of enemies is unnecessary. The whomping willow sequence alone, the intro of the game, throws actual swarms of imps at you and it's really annoying. The game loves it's Imps.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Olive! posted:

I know what you mean. I once ate a sandwich that was so bad, I swore off bread forever.

I still play the games I have I just have no interest in buying any more until they put out a system without any obnoxious gimmicks. At least with the 3ds all extra stuff can just be ignored for 99% of what I play.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I was reading a derail about being able to choose your player character's gender in ARPGs in the other thread, and thought of Persona 3 Portable, which gave players the option of choosing between a male or female protagonist. I liked having this choice, and as far as I can tell it was pretty well received generally. It gave the game's writers a chance to improve upon the bits of Persona 3 that didn't work so well, and remains a major selling point for the graphically downgraded PSP port. What drags the rest of the series down a little bit, is that Atlus has seemingly shown no interest in doing anything similar in subsequent Persona titles, which stick with a male player character only. In fact it appears that they've almost forgotten that they ever made a female protagonist to begin with. Given that they've been happy to milk the Persona franchise for all kinds of rereleases (like P3P was) and multimedia spinoffs, it seems to me to be something of a strange oversight.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

Picked up River City Ransom Underground while it was on sale. So far it's kickin rad. I just don't like that there isn't a free heal option in hideouts. If i manage to dodge screens worth of enemies with only a single bar of health, I want to be able to heal in my hideout. Instead, I have to hope I can get to a store or sauna during business hours--but that costs money and I'm early in the game so I rarely have enough.

(I'm really hoping someone chimes in and tells me I missed out on a real simple sleep mechanic in the hideouts. Some of the stuff in this game is a bit obtuse).
Noooope.
Apparently they did patch it so that vending machines actually drop cans of soda like they did in the tutorial but I think that gets the police onto you.
Unless you have a heap of cash it's easier to just take the death and lose half your cash. Once you unlock the second half of the map it gets a ton easier to amass cash since the enemies drop more.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

StandardVC10 posted:

I was reading a derail about being able to choose your player character's gender in ARPGs in the other thread, and thought of Persona 3 Portable, which gave players the option of choosing between a male or female protagonist. I liked having this choice, and as far as I can tell it was pretty well received generally. It gave the game's writers a chance to improve upon the bits of Persona 3 that didn't work so well, and remains a major selling point for the graphically downgraded PSP port. What drags the rest of the series down a little bit, is that Atlus has seemingly shown no interest in doing anything similar in subsequent Persona titles, which stick with a male player character only. In fact it appears that they've almost forgotten that they ever made a female protagonist to begin with. Given that they've been happy to milk the Persona franchise for all kinds of rereleases (like P3P was) and multimedia spinoffs, it seems to me to be something of a strange oversight.

And finally you were afforded the opportunity to date a sixth grader!
But, yeah, they could really do with some protagonist revamping overall. 4's MC felt like a goofball with many of the dialogue options but 3 and 5 didn't do much for me.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just beat the Avifors challenge in Chamber of Secrets (PS2) - god this game really loves throwing like 10 wraiths at you in each room, all swarming around and flying through you, not only hurting and interrupting your platforming, but also knocking the Bertie Botts Beans right out of you as well, they are just an annoying waste of time - you can't even kill them, it's just "try to avoid them, but gently caress you here's a million of 'em!"

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011
So, I really like The Witcher 3. I've got the enhanced edition, I'm in Blood and Wine now.

Fffffffffffffuck the tourney racing bit in The Warble of a Smitten Knight. The controls are janky as hell, the camera does not want to cooperate, and Guillaime is a creepy little idiotic goon poo poo no matter how correct he actually is.

I like everything else, I just hit that bit on a replay and I forgot how aggravating it is.

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011

Takezio posted:

Fffffffffffffuck the tourney racing bit in The Warble of a Smitten Knight. The controls are janky as hell, the camera does not want to cooperate, and Guillaime is a creepy little idiotic goon poo poo no matter how correct he actually is.

I don't remember having any kind of trouble with this part in Witcher 3, but you have awoken some long forgotten memory of the Mafia racing course bit that I had successfully suppressed until now.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Croccers posted:

Noooope.
Apparently they did patch it so that vending machines actually drop cans of soda like they did in the tutorial but I think that gets the police onto you.
Unless you have a heap of cash it's easier to just take the death and lose half your cash. Once you unlock the second half of the map it gets a ton easier to amass cash since the enemies drop more.

The drop rates for vending machines must not be great. I've beaten on a bunch of them and rarely do soda cans pop out--dealing with the cops constantly has turned me off from continuing to try, but I'll start doing it again. I do appreciate that if you beat up all the bad guys in an area, you can just hide in a dumpster to get rid of your wanted level rather than having to return to a hideout.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

BioEnchanted posted:

Just beat the Avifors challenge in Chamber of Secrets (PS2) - god this game really loves throwing like 10 wraiths at you in each room, all swarming around and flying through you, not only hurting and interrupting your platforming, but also knocking the Bertie Botts Beans right out of you as well, they are just an annoying waste of time - you can't even kill them, it's just "try to avoid them, but gently caress you here's a million of 'em!"

In later games do you start with all the spells he already knows? like do you start game 2 with wingardium leviosa?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
i think wingardium leviosa is used all of like once after book one in the actual books.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

ilmucche posted:

In later games do you start with all the spells he already knows? like do you start game 2 with wingardium leviosa?

There's tons of different versions of each book adaptation, especially early on (I think Philosopher's Stone has like four), so it varies. But as I recall you do usually start with a couple basics, like Flippendo. Others you have to learn in several games, like Alohomora (which is fair enough, that poo poo is OP in video game form).

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

FeastForCows posted:

I don't remember having any kind of trouble with this part in Witcher 3, but you have awoken some long forgotten memory of the Mafia racing course bit that I had successfully suppressed until now.

I beat every race in Witcher 3 by galloping ahead at the beginning and then just body blocking forever.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The last third or so of Horizon: Zero Dawn sure is a whole lot of listening to audio logs and fighting the least interesting enemy type in the game, humans. Partly it's probably my own fault for prioritizing the sidequests so now I have nothing but main quests left, but I do think this stuff could have stood to be spread out more.

Also if I hear the focus sound effect from the controller for very much longer I'm going mental.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It's kind of hilarious how Ron is practically excised from the entire Chamber of Secrets story - he only exists to stand near doorways and go "We need to go to this place now Harry" but when push comes to shove in the nighttime sections him and Hermione do gently caress all, just hanging around the dormitory and giving you an itinerary. Especially jarring with things like Hermione not ever seeing the Hogwarts: A History book, Harry just quotes it to her from memory, which is ridiculous as Hermione is the researcher of the group. Harry is even on his own for the whole Aragog fiasco. They even cut out the escalating series of victims, the only person who gets hurt up until Aragog is Nearly Headless Nick. Colin and Mrs Norris both get off scott free, although Hermione may still get got in the final act, considering that's how they found out what the monster was, a post-paralysis note held in her hand. With this game I'm expecting to get back to the common room only for Hermione to go "I've figured it out Harry. Go to the girls bathroom and kill the basilisk! :downs:"

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 12:01 on Nov 22, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

BioEnchanted posted:

he only exists to stand near doorways and go "We need to go to this place now Harry" but when push comes to shove in the nighttime sections him and Hermione do gently caress all, just hanging around the dormitory and giving you an itinerary.

Sounds like most of the books, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

At least he rescues you from Aragog in the flying car after the boss fight, so congratulations Ron Weasley, you Did a Thing! IMO the most satisfying moments in the franchise are when Draco gets hit by Sectumsempra, basically a magical shotgun that tears half his face off, and when Hermione just punches him in one of the movies and his head just hits the stonehenge behind him - he's just so out of his depth even the heroes are dunking on him.

gently caress it, best scene in the franchise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB2ZfDph1pE

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 12:53 on Nov 22, 2017