Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Anyone played Slay the Spire?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/646570/Slay_the_Spire/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
About fuckin' time

To be fair, this is one of the wackier and luckier Qud runs I've had. I went to the Stilt and Brocephus Bookhuffer or whoever that holy dude in the kraken is ended up in a fight with some bears and those metal smurfs. It was pandefuckingmoneum, robot scrap was flying everywhere, lasers, psychopowers, the floor was quite literally turning to lava, and multiple illuminated books went up in flames. I just sorta hung out around the edges picking up the loot that splashed in my direction. The priest won, but surrounded himself in a permanent psychic barrier while also being on fire. So I sat around and waited, 1hp at a time, until he burned to death. He dropped some really powerful gear, crysteel platemail and a chrome poncho which tripled my survivability. I snuck out the side door just in case the Wardens at the front would aggro upon noticing that some heathen was swag-strutting out of their holiest dead sea animal wearing the incalculably pimp threads of their grand poobah.

I made it through Golgotha with chute crabs all over me like fleas on a dog, mainly because I have treads for feet and can't be beat. I also fired an HE rocket directly up Slog's asspipe, which is also ok because I didn't have enough Butchery skill points to wear said asspipe as a bracer so why not just gib the sonofabitch? I was rewarded with that great Ursine lead-spewer, Bear Kylls, and decided to try and put the screws to my long time nemesis before attempting Bethesda Susa.

The river journey to Mamontowm was the quality vietnam style river/jungle murder orgy you expect. 116 hp, got dropped to 5 when I got feared, beaten, and ran screaming through fire of my own creation. I stabbed an ubernostrum into my eye and figured I would die like a champion, axe in each hand, but somehow I pulled out of that one. That river is dammed with goat corpses and I am the death beaver who made it so. Oh and there was a psycho cultist along the way with a wacky bag of items including no less than five Sphinx Salt pricklyboons, which was amazing.

Actual Mamon spawned with WINGS, loving wings which was really distressing at first but turned out to be a benefit as it prevented him from being a ruthless melee mack truck, he just sort of flapped around menacingly and tried to life-drain me once when he got close. I emptied about 48 rounds from Bear Kylls into him and he folded like a cheap tent. A bit of an anti-climax, but given how many of Qud player deaths are anti-climactic as well, I'll take it.

Also my house in Joppa has three trees and three chairs :toot:

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
Now that you've killed Mamon, you've unlocked the option to gain some real power:

Pour a vial of neutron flux over yourself. C'mon. Do it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I just unlocked Blood Crescent sword in Hand of Fate 2, it's the reward for doing the Brimstone Forest card event chain.
Hooooooolyyy poo poo did that take ages but the sword is pretty drat great.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

I have!

The best way I can describe it is “Dominion style card game as a rogue-lite” I personally find it a lot of fun, but the current difficulty curve goes something like this: die for 30 runs in a row until you learn the good deck builds, then win about 25% of time. It’s one of those early access games where its main flaw is janky incompleteness, but the basic formula is solid and fun.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Just in case y'all aren't aware of it, Monster Slayers is a game with the same idea, that's IMO reasonably polished. Still not necessarily deep, but it's a fun light thing to relax with.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/496620/Monster_Slayers/

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Monster Slayers is weird because the character variety is there, but not the monster variety, so all your encounters feel very samey. Also there are a lot of encounters, which can all be nullified because the last boss is resistant to the element that you built towards.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
I had fun with Monster Slayers but the metaprogression was kind of annoying -- for some reason I didn't mind it as much in Dream Quest but in Monster Slayers it felt like there was a dozen upgrades I had to sink before I could start playing for real.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
so i loaded up a new game of CoQ and in the first few turns (before i could even get the girshling quest) Warden Ualraig blasted Mehmet with ice and killed him :stonk: is that a bug? i tried the same world seed again and the same thing happened

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mr. Glass posted:

so i loaded up a new game of CoQ and in the first few turns (before i could even get the girshling quest) Warden Ualraig blasted Mehmet with ice and killed him :stonk: is that a bug? i tried the same world seed again and the same thing happened

Not a bug, just a strange consequence of the reputation system. Mehmet can spawn hated by the Wardens.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr. Glass posted:

:3:

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Post the world seed!

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Characters can spawn with reputation modifiers that make them hate each other. I've had the Warden in the Stilt go ham and take down a hell of a lot of people.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Jeza posted:

Characters can spawn with reputation modifiers that make them hate each other. I've had the Warden in the Stilt go ham and take down a hell of a lot of people.

Yeah she really doesn't gently caress around. She's pretty diesel to begin with, and when she calls in the time clones things get bloody in a real hurry.

All of the Wardens are tough as poo poo, really. They make superb companions if you've got enough faction reputation to recruit one.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Lowness 72 posted:

Post the world seed!

75F245DC

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Steam Award nominations are up, elect your favorite goonspawn roguelike (suggestions: Dungeonmans, Cogmind, Tangledeep, Caves of Qud) to one of the categories!

Certainly we can get more votes than the likes of dota 2 or pubg.

http://store.steampowered.com/SteamAwardNominations/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Haque just dropped on Steam with no fanfare at all.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

well, is it worth a poo poo?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Unormal posted:

Steam Award nominations are up, elect your favorite goonspawn roguelike (suggestions: Dungeonmans, Cogmind, Tangledeep, Caves of Qud) to one of the categories!

Certainly we can get more votes than the likes of dota 2 or pubg.

http://store.steampowered.com/SteamAwardNominations/
hey, I had to put a review for a game I nominated for the badge so it paid off for one of you :shobon:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

looks nice from the stream i'm watching, has some ideas from your isaacs and your gungeons and so on put back into a real roguelike. i like the turn order display. someone should play it, and tell us how it is.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Played it a little. Game is hideous yet good looking, which I can't explain.

Seems pretty simplistic so far, but combat is satisfying, have to see if there's more going on than just that.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Well that seems like a mistake.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
Cogmind is on sale right now on Steam (-10% off). If you've been meaning to check it out this a good time!

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Haque looks as good as the timing of dropping a release on the Steam sale is living on the edge---though I think Square Enix just did the same drat thing, so we'll see where this bold and baffling era takes us.

MidBoss has finally managed the big v1.2 update that has been toiled at for months now for what will likely be the final capstone unless crazy things happen.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/561740/MidBoss/ Hopefully the combo of this + Steam sale will garner it some new and renewed attention!

quote:

The big patch you've all been waiting for is finally here! There's too much to cover in depth so here's a quick list of things you'll be interested in:
Upgrade system provided by the merchant. Scrap useless items into a single (sellable) pile, increase the number of slots in your inventory, and stack potions and tomes.
Three brand new abilities! Throw lets you throw anything in the game at your enemies, Guard replaces the Rust ability and is a toggle which drains stamina every turn but increases your damage reduction, and Miasma which replaces Life Leech on warlocks which throws down a field that blinds anything that passes through it, lowering Evasion and Accuracy.
Fast travel! Just right click on the map to travel to your cursor, the merchant, the cratefish king, or the stairs.
Item quickbar for using, equipping, and throwing items easily and conveniently.
Changes to game modes, there are now three to pick from. Hardcore mode is the default permadeath roguelike mode, 1UP mode gives you 5 lives with more to find along the way, and Narrative mode is for those who want to casually explore all the game has to offer with infinite lives and buffs to make the game easier.
Each new game mode now comes in three lengths: quick (same as quick play), standard (a new faster mode between the old quick play and default), and extended (the same as the old default).
Changes to make shrines more accessible. Gods will summon champions to punish you for trashing their shrines. If defeated these champions will drop icons belonging to their god, which you can use to gain the god's blessing. Additionally, pages of lore will randomly drop throughout the game, some of which contains information about the gods and how to interact with them.
New Game+ enhancements. When starting a New Game+ you can start the game with a new random seed. Additionally there's a hazard boost option, this makes items and monsters stronger, allowing you to play through the game multiple times at increasing difficulty.
Experienced players can now speed up animations by 25, 50, 75, or 100% through the options menu.
Mastery procs and debuffs will be shown onscreen to make it clearer what's going on.
Improvements to keyboard targeting prioritizes enemies over static objects, and selects targets in a more natural left-to-right fashion.
The floppy disk item has been implemented. If you find and use it there's an achievement in it for you, and a glimpse into MidBoss' past!
Improvements to controls and options for new players of all experience levels.

In other possession based Roguelike news, Possession will most likely slip into a 2018 release vs the older aim of squeaking out come the end of this month or Dec.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You should get Hydra Slayer while it's on sale and Hyper Rogue too for maximum aspergation

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Beat Haque. Cute game, don't think I'll be returning to it though.

Would be curious to see if the dev works on something else, there's some smart stuff in there.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Also "beat" slay the spire (I didn't)

Cool game, definitely not fully finished yet, but has a lot of potential and the design is smart and fun to play.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Since the Nethack thread got archived -

I've been poking at 3.6.0 and hating it, but I am amused at what they did to the old "get rid of punished by burying the ball" trick.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Haque is pretty fun but also there's no XP or leveling, you get quirks/mini-upgrades after going through the portal on each floor, and enemies don't drop items super often so for the most part there isn't much of a reason to fight anything as far as I can tell

seems better to just avoid enemies unless they have visible equipment (and even then there's no guarantee that they'll drop anything even with a visible weapon/shield) and try to find the smithing rooms or treasure chests in order to get gear upgrades

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Who do I harrass to get more goon's Roguelikes on Switch?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Cryptark update:
Unlocked a door to destroy a door system, the second one re-locked it behind me, trapping me with no means of escape. On the next ship I hit a mine that shot me between the door system cover and deck leaving me unable to move.
The first time I notice bugs and they happen right after each other draining all my cash and ending my campaign. :arghfist:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Junkie Disease posted:

Who do I harrass to get more goon's Roguelikes on Switch?
:justpost:

Given that they are all working on Tangledeep Switch (well, okay, not all...) it's just a matter of time now.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

genericnick posted:

Cryptark update:
Unlocked a door to destroy a door system, the second one re-locked it behind me, trapping me with no means of escape. On the next ship I hit a mine that shot me between the door system cover and deck leaving me unable to move.
The first time I notice bugs and they happen right after each other draining all my cash and ending my campaign. :arghfist:

I maaay have trapped myself with the Weevil by teleporting into a confined space that counted as outside the ship, so I morphed to spacewalk form one time.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
How is MidBoss now that it's been out for a while? I recall people saying it was kinda rough at launch.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

C.M. Kruger posted:

How is MidBoss now that it's been out for a while? I recall people saying it was kinda rough at launch.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563643&pagenumber=596&perpage=40#post478665253

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

genericnick posted:

Cryptark update:

The physics are a little glitchy; I've gotten permanently stuck in walls before. Also had a ship where the only way to reach the shield module that was protecting the core was to go through a really narrow gap between the walls, and it turned out that while it was possible to get in, no matter what I did I couldn't get back out.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

those are patch notes. am i missing where someone says if it is good or not

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

:justpost:

Given that they are all working on Tangledeep Switch (well, okay, not all...) it's just a matter of time now.
For various values of the word "work", yes.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

madjackmcmad posted:

For various values of the word "work", yes.

Hey, Freehold is working very hard at executive production (i.e. not working at all and watching Jim and Andrew sweat it out hardcore)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

vorebane posted:

I maaay have trapped myself with the Weevil by teleporting into a confined space that counted as outside the ship, so I morphed to spacewalk form one time.

That was the worst bug fix.
E: I guess technically it was an exploit fix, not a bug.