Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Andyzero posted:

Sure!

In ''Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen"

As I was saying, you can use the Brunhild/Brynhildr/BroomHilda to unlock all kinds of seals.

One of those seals is the seal of Demon King Galf. Now, the really tricky thing about this was you had to have a high enough reputation to get the Broom Hilda to start, but then you have to knock it down low enough to think releasing Demon King Galf is a good idea. That required...dedication. It's not something you do by accident.

Otherwise you fight him, kill him, and he gives the traditional "As Long As There Is Evil, I Can Come Back" speech (There's like, 5 people in the Ogre verse who can do this). Or if you're evil, but not evil enough to be stupid, he'll give you a gift and you go your merry way; he's still bound but hopefully your being evil will shave a few centuries off until he can be released.

If you go above and beyond and GIVE him the BroomHilda; he joins your party, kills dudes for you. You play through the game. You fight the endboss. You kill the Evil God Whatever the end boss summons with his death because of course he does.

And then....PSYCHE! Demon King Galf BETRAYS YOU, and because he has Broom Hilda, is even stronger now, and he possesses your body so nobody even knows what's coming. The End. All endings had Tarot Motifs, and this was appropriately the Devil Ending.

I'm pretty sure it isn't canon.

You guys can see the actual ending starting at 1:17:35 in this video.

https://youtu.be/WDd1FESCxwA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Chapter 52 - Mreuva

Welcome back.

Before we begin, I should note that the fight we're about to get into has a lot of variations depending on who you bring to the fight.

As a brief recap, several updates ago now we were introduced to the Cleric Olivya, daughter of a High Priest of the Temple of Philaha, Mreuva.

Archiereus Mreuva was an old friend to Prancet, and with his dying breath, Prancet bid our hero to find Mreuva, to find out what Dorgaluas legacy could be in order to protect Catiua from the manipulations of the Knights Loslorien.

Archiereus Mreuva had four daughters -

Olivya, who accompanies us.

Cerya, the leader of the Liberation Front who's fate is unknown and was last seen being dragged away by the Knights Loslorien to be raped and presumably murdered.

Cistina, another member of the Liberation Front, last seen having been rescued by us in Chapter 1 and was to return to the Liberation Front. Her fate is unknown, but she is presumed dead, along with the rest of her compatriots in the raid that saw Cerya captured.

The last daughter, is Sherri, who we are about to meet.

In the fight I'm about to do, I did not bring Olivya.

When we do eventually return to the Chaos route, we will bring all of the sisters with us, for further non critical story revelations - I simply thought that if I'm going to do this fight again in the future, I might as well do it when I have all of the available affected characters.

Sure as poo poo had nothing to do with forgetting to swap out HEALBOT for Olivya, no sir.

-----------//-----------

Hi Sherri

: I do not. And I wouldn't tell you if I did!

: Is that any way to speak to your own daughter? Or...have you abandoned me, as you did mother?

: I have abandoned no one.

: Then you'll tell me where to find the Apocrypha.

: You'll have no aid from me in that foolishness, Sherri. None!

: You leave me no choice but to bring you with me.

: I'm sure you'll change your mind once we've reached Heim.

: Do not do this, Sherri!

: Prepare him for the journey.

Levi Pavel, known defender of Geriatrics.

: Abuna Mreuva, are you all right?

: Who are you?

: Would you know me if I said I was Levi of Golyat?

: There will be time for talk later. Let me handle this.

: Yes...but please, spare the woman.

: What?

: She is my daughter, Sherri.

: I always knew LeRozza was useless. All breeding and no substance, that one.

: What about you, Levi?

: I seem to remember you as a fey child, delicate as a rose.

: But no matter. Such fancies will not stay my blade.

-----------//-----------

No mercy for old childhood friends, Sherri's got Stockholm syndrome, and she's got it bad.

You'll notice it says "Vanquish"

Sherri's another recruitable character, so naturally not killing her is a requirement of this, unfortunately this requires that we get her to <5% hp which is more difficult than it sounds given her defences are only slightly higher than the average caster.

Enemy Composition:

Sherri (Witch)
H. Dragoon x2
H. Knight x2
H. Ninja x4
H. Wizard
H. Cleric
H. Terror Knight

Sherri's got the Witch class, and good offensive stats.

There's two items of difficulty in this fight - the Ninjas, and the "trying to do just enough damage to Sherri" part.

You'll see why the Ninjas are annoying shortly.

-----------//-----------

Decay is an AI Ninja spell, which is to say it is not a naturally occurring skill for player Ninjas. It is staight up a single attack immunity. From a single damage stone to a to a nuke, the ninja takes no damage.

Player ninjas can learn it via scavenging enemy ninjas, which is a process I'm not too familiar with. My somewhat vague understanding is that you recruit the enemy ninja, then murder them to death until they have no lives left (ie, let them getknocked out, then let their timer expire 3 times), then loot their corpse to learn their skills (ala Final Fantasy Tactics Crystalling).

This may be incorrect - I never scavenged so I don't know how it works entirely. Happy to be corrected.

I'm really overdue to do something with Ravness - she's extremely squishy right now, lacks spells and I'm also short on MP reagents. Might be time for me to do an SP update / spell update at some point in the near future.

no kill quite like overkill.

We carve out two enemies from the slowly meandering horde.

Old man murder gets a taste of his own medicine.

Nice.

Martine's really starting to fall behind here in terms of damage output. I may well put her to the sword in the post game.

-----------//-----------

Sherri hurts. Jeunan's no slouch in defensive stats.

Ruhoh.

Well gently caress

Well, RIP Jeunan.

Let's rewind shall we?

-----------//-----------

Nothing major changes this time around

Our two frontlines are thoroughly enmeshed, though for all that we've carved out about four or five of them, the rest are functionally unharmed thanks to all the decoys.

Ah poo poo. Well, my guys have good resists / defensive stats, it'll probably just be Marti..

gently caress

Ravness is currently silenced so can't heal.

Time to try to stomp on this fight and get it done.

So naturally, the enemy team decides to sandbag.

Ravness is re-silenced.

Nice. I mean, not nice. gently caress.

Donnalto also gets silenced, but you can't like, stop the avatar of murder, Man.

Our frontline's fallen apart thanks to that loving petrifog. Our healers are being shivved and our offhealers are mute.

-----------//-----------

: Why drive your family to the feet of he who ruined you?

: Because there is no surer road to victory than to join the winning side.

: What good victory without principles?

: As much good as taking your principles with you to your grave, surely.

: It is the victor who lives. that is the only truth that matters.

-----------//-----------

Jeunan comes through for me in a pinch.

-----------//-----------

: Then help me.

: What good will come of it? I know you are no tyrant - no Balbatos or Ronwey.

: But it is the people who suffer in any struggle, however noble.

: You know this as well as any. Your own Golyat suffered such a fate.

: We must forever rid the isles of the vile instruments the Heirophant and the duke have used against us.

: As Dorgalua once united us, Valeria must unite itself!

: Dorgalua's time is long past.... What vestiges of that era remain are in the hands of the Dark Knights.

: Catiua...

Mreuva is telling us here in no uncertain terms, that reconciliation is only going to be possible with the aid of our sister. The sister that loathes us and is disinclined to aid us.

This choice is not entirely game defining, but it is important for a future encounter that will in part determine Catiuas fate.

1. That I Cannot do
2. I Shall Do What I Must

Make your choice.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

i shall do what i must

We already massacred a town and (minor spoilers in case I got my timelines mixed up) a pregnant pirate woman . Might as well fight your sister.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
That I Cannot do

SgCloud
Oct 30, 2011
I shall do what I must

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Yeah, we already butchered a whole town of folks. gently caress it! I shall do what I must.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

In the original game you could shield bash all those nerds into the tiles you can't walk on. They were bottomless pits, and a OHKO.

Is that still a viable tactic here?

PS: I don't remember what choice leads to what, but let's be consistent with the morally repugnant law route and do what you must

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
Pregnant Pirate is Chaos only.
HOWEVER. You can spare her now. In the original you couldn't.
You have to talk to her, let her talk. Get her health down half way, let her talk. Get her health below 10 hp. Let her talk.

No difference in plot, but it does change her character description and make you feel a little better.

Speaking of plot, we could have killed Sherri though. She only warps away at like, 10 hp or lower, if I recall. So if you hit her at more before she got that low, she just dies. This does an effect on plot; but the way to see it later is so esoteric it still bugs me.

ALSO speaking of plot, note the place we were at, with the crystals and such. If you place the cursor over them, it will describe those crystals as being filled with elemental light. Sherri was after that power. This will SORT of be discussed later in the game, but there will be a bait and switch.

Also, that choice you have to make to the question matters, but in a weird karma-esque way. Nothing permanently bad happens, as long as you know what to do later.

That said, That I cannot do is more interesting.

Andyzero fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 21, 2017

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

We shall do what we must. Learning from your mistakes is for the weak!

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Put your sister to the sword. Someone who can talk so casually about running away from the island when there's a literal Hitler type killing your people, actually ditches what little family she has left on the excuse that said family abandoned her if that makes any sense, doesn't give a poo poo about the man who raised her because they're not blood, then seals her awfulness by joining someone who casually attacked her town and next we see her, slashes at her brother for no real good reason, is not someone who can see reason.

Yeah, I know it's a complicated political situation and whatnot, to say nothing of how bad a decision like this would actually play out in the game and in real life but seriously, gently caress Kachua.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

FairGame posted:

In the original game you could shield bash all those nerds into the tiles you can't walk on. They were bottomless pits, and a OHKO.

Is that still a viable tactic here?

PS: I don't remember what choice leads to what, but let's be consistent with the morally repugnant law route and do what you must

Yeah, that's literally what happened to Jeunan in this. He got crit from a safe space, to being perched behind the tile. Enemy ninja came up and shielded him off - he fell to his death. He would have lost one of his hearts / lives but he would have been back in the next map.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That I cannot do. Man goes unarmed into the camp of violent rebels and he won't talk it out with his own presumed flesh and blood?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
That I cannot do

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

I shall do what I must. We're already damned; might as well keep as many others from being damned as we can. Sis wants to change her mind she's more than welcome to.

(See, I don't need out of character knowledge to vote :black101:)

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Can't do that poo poo man, that's some bad juju. I think Levi has already gone about as far down, morally, as he really can. He's seen what happens when you try to shoot awkwardly for the greatest possible good. Start from what you know is right, and work from a solid foundation.

Buried Treasure
Oct 23, 2008
Throwing in a vote for That I cannot do.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
Many are the corpses in your wake already -- siblings themselves, no doubt, to now-grieving innocents. To avoid the anguish of facing a beloved in battle is a selfish luxury you no longer deserve.

Do what you must. This is bigger than you or her, now.

fluffyDeathbringer fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 22, 2017

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I shall not stay my pimp hand

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
We shall do what we must.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
my vote is for That I cannot do, it's more interesting if Levi actually sticks to continuing to actually do the right thing.

RydogZeta
Feb 14, 2016
That I cannot do

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
This I cannot do. We do what we can for a better world . We do what is necessary and we do so gladlessly. But if we kill our sister, how can anyone have faith in us or believe us? How can we believe ourselves? How can we possibly presume anyone would trust us or follow us? How could we follow ourself? We would just be one more tyrant in a long line that would salt the earth and call it a kingdom. We are willing to do what we must. But if doing what we must justifies that we are willing to kill anyone and everything in the name of ease, then we are no better htan those who have come before us that we swore to never be.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Catiua feels wronged and I doubt the Dark Knights tell her everything - it's too bad there's no option to say that you'd at least talk before fighting it out, but in absence of that I'd say that this we cannot do.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

She decided she hates the man who lovingly raised her based solely on the words of the comically evil man that they wanted revenge against as their only goal initially.

She's a dick at heart, and not very sympathetic.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

She stepped out of line and we'll do what we have to.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Terror Knight

Pardon me while I try to recreate it entirely from memory:

Yep, that's exactly right.

"Luke.......................... I......................... Am................. Oh he's already gone. Kids these days, no patience..."

Races: Human, Skeleton, Orc
RT: 38 Move: 4 Jump: 2/3 Move Cost: 4/tile
Weapons: 2h Swords, 2h Axes, Hammers, 2h Cudgels, 1h Crossbows
Armor: Heavy
Magic: Dark
Drain, Instill, Paralytic Wave, Sleep, Gravity Flux
Rampart Aura IV, Counterattack III, Knockback III, Strengthen IV, Fortify IV, Resistance II, Truestrike IV, Trueflight III, Spellstrike III*, Dodge IV, Sidestep III, Spell Ward II, Constitution IV, Insight II, Expand Mind II, Channeling II, Tactician II
Other: Parry, Deflect, Overpower, Absorb MP II* Reflect Magic II
Action: Fearful Impact, Lament of the Dead, Squash, Shadowbreak
Special:

Terror Knights are ludicrously slow and they aren't as tough as Knights, despite the highest HP in the game, and the whole thing can seem like a waste of time, and you wouldn't be too bad off for assuming that. Their magic, besides Instill Darkness, is three low-end statuses and the drain spells and they don't have the INT or MND to really do much with them. Their weapon choices are oddly restrictive and tend towards further burdens on their RT, and at 1 range they further burden the Terror Knight's ability to get into scraps. Fearful Impact is decent but everything else about the class holds it back.

The big problem is, their upsides take a long-rear end time to show up. Lament of the Dead is level 20, and it's what vindicates the Terror Knight. Fear is a pretty strong status effect that makes the target Generally Worse At Fighting, and Lament doesn't take the user's turn to drop it. It ranks up, but a level 29 2h Sword gives two extra ranks, and even at level 3 it's decent enough since the Terror Knight still gets their main action that turn. The dark spell Drain Power doesn't rely on stats very much and lets the Terror Knight control enemy TP while getting more for more Laments, becoming a really specific and narrow type of support unit. But since it's TP management and one of the better status effects, it's a good type. And they're still pretty good at chopping.

Still not that hot, but by the time it comes together, the Terror Knight finally has a role to fill and some good playthings to use, and they get two dark-based equipment sets, but selling a class on those is like, I don't know, you're looking at over 100 hours before you get the payoff.

For weapon choices, it's pretty much 2h swords for the Dark Headsman. Hammers weigh to goddamn much, and 2h axes are technically fine but don't offer as much. I'd almost argue a Damasc Crossbow +1 forever just to take potshots, but Lament isn't that long range. Their emphasis on dark as an element isn't that big of a deal with the undead, actually, Lament still works and the slashing part of their sword still slashes.

All in all, Terror Knights leave a bad first impression because they don't have their upsides until much later, and even then the payoff isn't too exciting. But they're loving Terror Knights. If you can't resist the style and panache then go for it, just know what you're getting into.

A note, skeletons do a surprisingly fine job as Terror Knights as getting bashed to bits isn't really a big deal to them. Do watch out for exorcisms though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I found a couple typos!

tithin posted:

Chapter 51 - EXPOSITION

An easy enough fight, though it's presented as easier than it is. We have natural lava chokepoints which against humanoids are fine, excepting that dragons are immune to level, so if you setup your squishies along the labva bank the enemy dragons will happily jump into the lava and take a chunk from them.

With our north flank mostly secure, we move our archers to taking out the flanking enemies at our south east.

Jeunan doesn't have quite enough TP to land a Dragon Slayer yet, so ge sticks the dragon with the pointy end of the stick to get some more TP.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I found some mistakes too.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Not sure who this is thanks to being on mobile, assuming it's my own :v:

I'll fix the typos tonight when I get home

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

RareAcumen posted:

I found a couple typos!

I fixed these - thank you :)

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

voting is now closed, and we have the will to wage war on our sister... though it was very close in terms of voting.

Next up: An outcome to the Hobyrim / Ozma sidequest

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Correction: Next up team emptyquote gets loving rolled, jesus christ.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

tithin posted:

you loving wot mate?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Birdstrike posted:

you loving wot mate?

The enemies on the Krysaro map are using the next tier of gear / spells, and are higher level than team emptyquote, so I have some grinding to do!

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

tithin posted:

This tends to be everybody's experience on that quest, along with the chaos-exclusive character's related battle. You think you're a badass unit? gently caress you, enjoy Sparksphere Is ripping you apart for like 120 damage per cast. It's rough out there.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

tithin posted:

The enemies on the Krysaro map are using the next tier of gear / spells, and are higher level than team emptyquote, so I have some grinding to do!

Looks like you raised a bunch of fuckboys
next time, do better

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Alkarl posted:

This tends to be everybody's experience on that quest, along with the chaos-exclusive character's related battle. You think you're a badass unit? gently caress you, enjoy Sparksphere Is ripping you apart for like 120 damage per cast. It's rough out there.

I was actually fortunate enough to clear out the Chaos Exclusive character with no ~major~ troubles - turns out not using cards the whole game means you have a lot of guys able to teleport and fortify an area real fast.

raisamike3
Oct 13, 2012
In case it still matters

This I cannot do
As much as Levi has tried to do right by the people around him, he has always been characterised by his love for his friends and family.
It might not be the right thing to do, but it IS something Levi would do

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Hey y'all,

you'll notice it's been a week and I've not updated in that time.

I tried to do the battle to recruit Oz and got stomped six ways from Sunday - so instead, I'm doing some wildwoods grinding to bring some of my less used classes / characters up to par, but it's slow going because I'm only doing a battle or two when I've got spare time.

I'll be back soon - hopefully - with an update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
finish your op

wait