Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Everything's a little discombobulated right now because I'm having troubles with MeGUI, but I figure I should at least post the YouTube video link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNSCuAqGUzk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
The "wear the dress for the flower arrangement" thing might be due to nonsensical rewrites. There is little evidence of flowers around, so it is likely more of a wedding dress supplier than a florist, but they changed the dialogue so she was there for flowers rather than a dress fitting. Also, what was with the strong Chinese accent of the clerk? None of the other characters talk like that in the mission.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Isn't white the colour for a traditional Chinese funeral, tho?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Samovar posted:

As I understand, red is traditionally the symbolic color of happiness worn at Chinese weddings. I believe Japan also associates white with death though someone better versed in this than me can elaborate on this.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Samovar posted:

It's a Western wedding, so they're using Western conventions and symbolism.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

That's right guys! Wei is a full blown crime boss now!

BEST. COP. EVER. :v:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I always like wearing the Winston's Laundry outfit when Wei tells Raymond "I am Winston now!" or at least imagining it. :)

New Cast-

Peggy- Lindsay Price

Mrs. Chu- Irene Tsu

The level where Wei steals a Black Orchid from the Temple is another event that deserves special criminal charges IMO. :D

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I assume everyone you talked your way past in the temple were other people dressed in Buddhist robes for various hijinks. "Oh good, he bought it. Now where did the rival frat stash our mascot?"

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

achtungnight posted:

The level where Wei steals a Black Orchid from the Temple is another event that deserves special criminal charges IMO. :D
willful endangerment of rare horticulture?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

That's right guys! Wei is a full blown crime boss now!

BEST. COP. EVER. :v:

Well, yeah.

If the head of the triads is really a cop, then all crime doesn't count any more. Thus Wei Shen has ended all crime forever.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

It's a Western wedding, so they're using Western conventions and symbolism.

Also western weddings have way shorter "ceremonies" which means they get to the good part(food and booze) faster.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Go back and get the man his wine, Wei. Christ. Impossible to find good help these days...

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It's interesting to me that the wedding winds up being more of a vehicle for Uncle Po's characterization.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 21, 2017

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
Winston's fiancee is... insane. If nothing else, for telling Wei he has a good heart moments after he ran a woman over with a van and beat the crap out of all the monks in a temple while stealing things.

So as always, we have new and interesting ways to cripple and kill people on display this time around, and judgment calls to make. That first monk, for instance, not only gets the crap beaten out of him, but is thrown back headfirst into a rock at the end. I ultimately decided not to interpret him as dead, as there was no confirmation of his demise, but these are the choices one must make when one is passing judgment.

For similar reasons, most of the events of the wedding itself are not crimes (though they do count for the kill/cripple total), as there are few clearer-cut cases of either self-defense or legal justification found in the game so-far. Only in the extreme cases did I break out the rap sheet (no, the chandelier doesn't count. Wei was under attack at the time by multiple assailants and improvised).

People almost certainly permanently crippled/maimed by Wei Shen: 15 (total: 190)
People definitively killed by Wei Shen: 33 (total: 132)

Crimes:

1 Count Simple Assault
1 Count Inventing Transparent Lies
2 Counts Levitating without a Permit
2 Counts Aggravated Violation of the Laws of Physics
1 Count Carjacking
1 Count Vehicular Assault
3 Counts Misdemeanor Hit & Run
1 Count Felony Hit & Run
2 Counts Reckless Endangerment
1 Count Grand Theft... Cake? (Call it Petty Larceny)
1 Count Trespassing
1 Count Taking Advantage of Mentally Disabled Monks (I have no other explanation)
1 Count Grand Larceny (Flowers that rare have to rate Grand)
1 Count Wilful Endangerment of Rare Horticulture (Thank you Double Nine!)
8 Counts Assault & Battery
1 Count Littering (Extenuating Circumstances)
1 Count Being a Motherfucking Terminator

Which means that, despite the tremendous violence this time around, what we have here is a session sentence of 29 Years, 3 months.

Not bad, given everything.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid
how to write strong female characters, step one; have them appear in one mission with no introduction acting as though they're a well-established character, then kill almost immediately them off without giving them any further dialogue :v:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Azure Dreamer posted:

how to write strong female characters, step one; have them appear in one mission with no introduction acting as though they're a well-established character, then kill almost immediately them off without giving them any further dialogue :v:

TBF, there is ONE halfway-decent female character in this game. But she hasn't shown up yet, so I'm not gonna talk more about it until she shows up.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

VolticSurge posted:

TBF, there is ONE halfway-decent female character in this game. But she hasn't shown up yet, so I'm not gonna talk more about it until she shows up.

If she's the one I foreshadowed being one of my favorite characters in my post about Big Smile Lee, than she's easily one of the best written characters after Wei himself.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!
A few episodes back you asked about the streetcar lines. They're very much in use, and as of 4 years ago, quite practical and pretty cheap. They're called 'dingdings' and they're a bit jerky and slower than the subway(MTR) but very usable. There's also a copy of a Star Ferry in Central not far from the actual terminal.

Like most of Hong Kong's colonial era history, there's a thorough Wikipedia article on the subject. On an unrelated note goddamn do I need to go back to HK. Sleeping Dogs Pork Bun guy is absolutely on point when it comes to the connection between being a whole man and having a pork bun.

Edit: and since it's always worth mentioning, if you're interested in the history of the territory, the luminous Lazlo Montgomery did a highly accessible, if somewhat long, History of Hong Kong series on it as part of the China History Podcast.
http://chinahistorypodcast.libsyn.com/webpage?search=The+history+of+Hong+Kong&Submit=Search+

YouTube link:
https://youtu.be/fqOgqmKhpyM

MarsellusWallace fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 21, 2017

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Azure Dreamer posted:

I actually liked Peggy and the wedding is the point I really fell in love with this game, but ymmv.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid

Mantis42 posted:

I actually liked Peggy and the wedding is the point I really fell in love with this game, but ymmv.

peggy definitely gives a solid showing as a character for the one mission she appears in before being killed. i just wish she'd been in the game for more than one mission. it's a symptom of how rushed the game's story feels at time - i could just as easily say that wei met uncle po once and the guy trusts him enough to implicitly give him winston's old job. the game's story is great, but the actual execution has a lot of little problems like this.

i'm also gonna clarify that the game does have good female characters. there's inspector teng, mrs. chu, not ping, and at least one well written badass lady we've not met yet. i guess i'm just complaining because this should be a really good scene but the game didn't really devote the time needed to establish peggy and as a result it loses a lot of the impact it should have had. maybe it's just my inner writer noticing things no one else would notice or care about, i dunno.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It feels like there's just a lot happening between the characters between missions that's never really shown.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

It feels like there's just a lot happening between the characters between missions that's never really shown.

Pretty much.

It's like reading a decent novel where a misprint means your copy is missing chapters. You're able to get the gist, but it's pretty awkward.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Oh I definitely agree with all that. I think the performances really help bridge some of the gaps in the writing.

Silver Spooner
Jun 10, 2013
I don't remember the chandelier attack in this sequence, so that was another holy poo poo, Wei.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Silver Spooner posted:

I don't remember the chandelier attack in this sequence, so that was another holy poo poo, Wei.

This was like the absolute one time I'm not sure Wei being brutal and completely willing to go lethal was inappropriate, though.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Silver Spooner posted:

I'd have to go back and check, but I think the guy that fell from the sky to fight Wei on the bottom floor in that sequence looked just like the one that was strung up. If so, we can just assume it's the same dude.

Otherwise they can fly and teleport, and that's just not fair.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I think I only ever knew Drunken Master 2 as Drunken Master 2 and not Legend of Drunken Master; maybe surprising considering what it was like trying to watch foreign films in Australia (or anywhere really?) in the nineties. Man it was frustrating sometimes. Most often all you could get was VHS tapes from the local rental place, and they were always English dubs because of course they were. If I got lucky I was able to tape an older Jackie Chan movie off SBS sometimes. SBS was pretty drat good back then at least; basically the "foreign content" channel - they would show stuff without ads and in their original language, with subtitles.

Rumble in the Bronx, though... it was good, but wow was it a strange movie in places. Some odd tonal shifts, with a particularly horrific bit in the middle somewhere. I also remember it as the movie where Jackie broke his foot jumping onto a hovercraft, and then had to film the remaining scenes wearing a cast that was made up to look like a shoe.

Going back to Romeo Must Die from last time; I remember seeing that at the cinema with some friends when it first came out. Pretty sure I haven't seen it again since, but I always remembered those x-ray scenes. It was definitely in the early-post-Matrix era when lots of movies were trying for gimmicky camera-work, editing, special effects, etc.

Anyway I liked Jet Li, though it always seemed like he was in movies that used a lot of wire-work, rather than the more grounded (... so to speak), "for real" stuff seen in Jackie Chan's movies.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

That black orchid is really a monkey's paw for her, isn't it?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

That black orchid is really a monkey's paw for her, isn't it?

it's better to burn out than fade away?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Maybe they didn't sell that orchid because it was extremely cursed. It was located behind a shrine in a forboding forest illuminated by a ray of light.

One count dissemination of cursed paraphernalia. :v:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

When you describe it like that, I kinda want one now

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9TunVxN1BE

Next week will be off again because of Thanksgiving and my still-ongoing encoding woes.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

I wish the DLC was a bit longer - didn't have nearly enough tournament 'politics' or kung-fu treachery. The rewards aren't even that great, but at least it's fun. I wish there was a little more to combat in the game, though.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Bobbin Threadbare, suddenly I'd like to leave your thread!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I couldn't find a cast listing for the Zodiac Tournament DLC. Oh well. :(

I like this DLC usually- some of the fights can be rough, though, especially the big one where you need to jam the gears. The MMA guy usually gives me a lot of trouble too. The ending is awesome though. "Not even close." :)

Enter the Dragon is one of the more famous Bruce Lee movies. I personally like Game of Death and Fists of Fury better though.

Bobbin- Hope your coding woes are soon solved.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Way of the Dragon is my favorite Bruce Lee film, mostly for the Colloseum fight at the end.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
I think Wei Shen's "This is insane..." reaction is because he got on a boat in modern Hong Kong, and now he's standing on a mysterious island hearing an evil villain monologue straight out of a 70s kung-fu movie. Probably not what he expected when he got up that morning.

Wei Shen may also be genre-savvy enough to realize that the kind of person who hosts tournaments and gives speeches like this probably isn't planning on scoring the matches based on points.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Also I managed to miss the dock entrance to the DLC both playthroughs and drove a boat to the island to start it.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Interesting how those generic mooks willingly join the fray after the ceiling starts coming down. Also, Wei Shen prefers to finish the tournament to reporting back to the HKPD something like "they are casually killing dozens of people over here, send in the big guns!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
A couple of Hong Kong stars made cameo appearances in "Enter the Dragon". Sammo Hung is Lee's opponent in the opening scene, and Lee's master is played by Roy Chiao, who some of us might remember as Lao Che in "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom".

Bolo Yeung had a very lengthy career playing villains in Hollywood and Hong Kong following the success of "Enter". He appeared in a series of Hong Kong films as the "Chinese Hercules", fought Jean-Claude Van Damme in "Bloodsport" and "Double Impact" and even got to play a kindly mentor in "Shootfight".

Jim Kelly starred in one of my favourite guilty pleasures, "Black Belt Jones". I don't know if it will get covered in this LP, but if blaxploitation kung-fu action is your cup of tea, see this movie. See Jim Kelly take down the mob with fists, feet and...soap???

• Locked thread