Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

Fair enough answers dudes. I guess it's not really the same thing.

I guess the real answer is that any dlc of any kind is pretty much validated by how willing people are to pay for it.

I think there is also a straw that broke the camels back thing happening. This is a distasteful practice in general but when it comes to mob justice there are only two settings: “just ignore don’t buy it if you don’t want it” & “BURN THE RICH”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Fair enough answers dudes. I guess it's not really the same thing.

I guess the real answer is that any dlc of any kind is pretty much validated by how willing people are to pay for it.
If you want to see a really hosed up DLC, check out Gal Gun. It has maybe $200 worth of DLC, including one that is $90 alone that lets you see through girl's clothes.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

homeless snail posted:

If you want to see a really hosed up DLC, check out Gal Gun. It has maybe $200 worth of DLC, including one that is $90 alone that lets you see through girl's clothes.

Lol loving doa5 has thousands in dlc. Get on my titty game level, son

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

Playing more Ratchet & Clank.

I dunno why but the game feels pretty rough? It's kind of hypocritical given I forgive a ton of poo poo in the Sonic franchise but even for a 2002 game the level design feels kinda... I dunno. The longer I go the more frustrating a level feels.

I'm playing this on my sister's prompting and I wanna see it through to the end, but I'm curious if the sequels get better in this area.

I mean if you played and have nostalgia for those sonic games but not ratchet & clank, that'd make sense

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Lol loving doa5 has thousands in dlc. Get on my titty game level, son
The moral of the story is that horny people have loose wallets, who needs loot boxes when you can just sex em up.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

reading about the bs sports games pull

I'm surprised people have tolerated it this long

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Manatee Cannon posted:

I mean if you played and have nostalgia for those sonic games but not ratchet & clank, that'd make sense

Sonic was my childhood, yes. But still, I'm seriously wondering if the sequels improve things.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

To everyone buying HZD, yes, it's a great game and yeah everyone agrees gently caress that guy

also lol this part

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 22, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

yeah I cannot see any real reason to wait to get it, it's that good

having a blast going back through all the poo poo I missed. Once you get your skill tree going it gets a lot better

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Manatee Cannon posted:

skins are rare drops so keep killing them. there are skills to boost the amount and quality of drops iirc

Ah it like this shouldn't be in a modern game. It's never fun. Never.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

homeless snail posted:

Honestly even with that and DoA while the amount is ridiculous it's all cosmetic stuff, things like Shinovi Versus making the last story missions DLC or Blue Reflection having a mission that you can only get if you buy the $80 costume pack are worse.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

TFRazorsaw posted:

Sonic was my childhood, yes. But still, I'm seriously wondering if the sequels improve things.

Absolutely, when the Ratchet and Clank collection came out I skipped the first game entirely

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Renoistic posted:

Ah it like this shouldn't be in a modern game. It's never fun. Never.

It's not like 1:100, I'd say closer to 1:10 maybe? And you don't have to keep getting them, those drops are for stuff like permanent upgrades to bag/ammo capacity. The stuff you need to make, say, ammo? All over the place, plentiful enough that you end up never really being short on anything unless you specifically start selling whole stacks of wire and then stop killing things.

There's a merchant selling all/nearly all the ammo ingredients, too, in case you do choose to drop all your wire and stop killing things.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I remember making a conscious decision to stop collecting ridgewood like halfway through the game and now in the DLC I had to start again cause I'm actually finding myself short somehow

But yeah. it's easy to forget that ammo is purchasble from any merchant for just shards and that shouldn't be a problem by the endgame

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

ya some sort of auto scavenge would be cool or just not requiring it at all idk

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

limited inventory is poo poo. at least they don't also have weight

also I wish there were more reasons to explore. you can't find anything cool and quests only give you exp and loving loot boxes, which is lame. the dlc is better about that at least. it gives you weapons as part of quests and by makes the new currency a collectible/quest reward, giving you reason to explore the world and find quests

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Manatee Cannon posted:

also I wish there were more reasons to explore. you can't find anything cool and quests only give you exp and loving loot boxes, which is lame. the dlc is better about that at least. it gives you weapons as part of quests and by makes the new currency a collectible/quest reward, giving you reason to explore the world and find quests

I liked trying to see what landmarks I could recognize.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ElwoodCuse posted:

Absolutely, when the Ratchet and Clank collection came out I skipped the first game entirely

I'll keep at it then.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'll keep at it then.

The last boss of R&C1 is pretty much the hardest bit in the entire series.

Just, generally, the first game was a great leap forward at the time, but now shows its age more than any of the others. The only part of a later game that leaps out at me as being as bad as the back half of 1 is the snow yetis in 2; those actually got an internal award as worst feature of R&C2.

e: And by "got an award," I mean they created a physical snowbeast award just to have something to give the guy responsible.

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 22, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

wonderful.

I dunno. The game feels like it can't decide if it wants to be a standard platformer or an action game, and the parts where it comes together seem few and far between.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

When I go back and play the series, I make one attempt at the last boss, then just go on to the next game. They get shootier and less platformy as time goes on, but they keep enough platforming that it still feels unique.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Man Battlefront 2 is running some sweet tech. Frost Engine, right? It look good.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Feenix posted:

Man Battlefront 2 is running some sweet tech. Frost Engine, right? It look good.

Frostbite, but yes it's a nice engine. It's a shame it's attached to a shameful thing.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Frostbite works pretty good in FIFA. It's no Fox Engine but I tried Pro Evo and hated it. Plus they have garbage licensing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Manatee Cannon posted:

You explore because every single frame of the game is gorgeous and for bomb-rear end photo mode shots.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

exquisite tea posted:

You explore because every single frame of the game is gorgeous and for bomb-rear end photo mode shots.

Also it's good to get a picture with the bus-sized corpse of your first thunderjaw kill.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

if looking good were enough, people wouldn't poo poo on the order. but it's not and they do

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Photo modes are loving weird, as are people that get excited about them.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I dont even take photos when i pay a buttload to travel on vacation

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I take photos cuz i inherited a dslr but I don't look at them. I have a memory card full of photos from over a year ago that have never been seen by anyone

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

fridge corn posted:

I take photos cuz i inherited a dslr but I don't look at them. I have a memory card full of photos from over a year ago that have never been seen by anyone

Put that card in one of those lovely lcd frames that cycles through the photos on your desk i guess.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm kind of over graphics at this point. Sure it's nice when a game looks good but it's all very secondary to me.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Manatee Cannon posted:

if looking good were enough, people wouldn't poo poo on the order. but it's not and they do

The collectible poo poo is neat too though. The banuk sets and the metal flowers end up getting you into some neat places and the vantage set is a fairly engaging story even if you gotta take the effort to read it past what the voice clip covers.

But the game is well-received for a more than just the visuals and not only because it triggers gamergate types.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Do old rear end games like Journey ever go on sale?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

Put that card in one of those lovely lcd frames that cycles through the photos on your desk i guess.

Gotta make sure there's nothing errr inappropriate on there first

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

fridge corn posted:

I don't have anything against photographs per se (I usually shoot film), I just think videogame photo modes are an incredibly weird phenomenon.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I don't have anything against photographs per se (I usually shoot film), I just think videogame photo modes are an incredibly weird phenomenon.

Yeah same

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
They're good, actually.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't know how anyone could care that much about them either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
If there was a PS4 game about directing awesome combat scenes and taking screenshots of them I’d be doing it there instead but afaik there isn’t.