Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Christmas season starts AFTER Thanksgiving, you drunken pervert.

Bern's look of utter disgust and disapproval over the insufficient level of craftsmanship in a card made by children. Man, she is going to be the best therapist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wait, something just occurred to me with Luann: how does Bernice know that Tiffany's having a rough enough time with things that she needs a counselor? Did Gunther blab to her?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
the bus

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flashback Gordon

2004 Spiderman

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
"HAMMERHAAAAAAND! YooooooUUUUU can't escape meEEEEE! I'll follow you to the ends of the earth!" (Newspaper Spider-Man, probably)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Between Hammerhand and Venom, Spider-Man villains have real problems with road rage.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Julet Esqu posted:

Christmas season starts AFTER Thanksgiving, you drunken pervert.

Bern's look of utter disgust and disapproval over the insufficient level of craftsmanship in a card made by children. Man, she is going to be the best therapist.

I like the passive jab at Tiffany. "Yeah she didn't even like them but they still care about her, I bet she'll spit in our faces as we give this to her!"

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Nekonaughey

Wikipedia posted:

In a yakiniku restaurant, diners order prepared raw ingredients (individually or as a set) which are brought to the table. The ingredients are cooked by the diners on a grill built into the table throughout the meal, several pieces at a time.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Evil Mastermind posted:

Wait, something just occurred to me with Luann: how does Bernice know that Tiffany's having a rough enough time with things that she needs a counselor? Did Gunther blab to her?
Gunther went straight to the school bullies with the juicy gossip that Tiff was a fatty because he's a really good friend.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Ghostlight posted:

Gunther went straight to the school bullies with the juicy gossip that Tiff was a fatty because he's a really good friend.

While I'm sure this is true (how else would they know?), I don't think we were shown that. I looked back and I think the last time we saw Gunther was him giving Tiff a hug at the end of their heart-to-heart. Granted, I skipped weeks that appeared to deal with other storylines because even I can only take so much Luann.

I admire Bernice, Future Pro Therapist, casually telling her friend that Tiff is getting counselling because why should she care about patient privacy? (It has, of course, been established in her interactions with Piro that Bernice does not.)

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Julet Esqu posted:

While I'm sure this is true (how else would they know?), I don't think we were shown that. I looked back and I think the last time we saw Gunther was him giving Tiff a hug at the end of their heart-to-heart. Granted, I skipped weeks that appeared to deal with other storylines because even I can only take so much Luann.

I admire Bernice, Future Pro Therapist, casually telling her friend that Tiff is getting counselling because why should she care about patient privacy? (It has, of course, been established in her interactions with Piro that Bernice does not.)

Comic Strip Megathread XVII: Even I Can Take Only So Much Luann

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (June 12, 1952)

Wash Tubbs (March 29, 1930)

Gasoline Alley (April 25, 1924)

Lil' Abner (December 25, 1937)

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

Barney Google (April 28, 1923)

Alley Oop (July 28, 1934)

Oaky Doaks (July 24, 1935)

Dickie Dare (September 6, 1933)

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

Bringing Up Father (January 6, 1940)

Krazy Kat (January 6, 1936)

Polly and Her Pals (January 6, 1937)

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Haifisch posted:

Flashback Gordon

2004 Spiderman

You just yanked the driver of that van right out of the seat, Peter. It's probably wrapped around a tree by now.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Senior Woodchuck posted:

You just yanked the driver of that van right out of the seat, Peter. It's probably wrapped around a tree by now.
"In some nutty way, I guess I win!"

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Pop Team Epic

Squirrel Nuts

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimms

Hagar The Horrible

Old New Yorker Cartoons

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

treasureplane posted:

Dickie Dare (September 6, 1933)

:sigh:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set is open to new experiences.

Working Daze lives up to expectations (such as they are).

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is going to be here a while.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe
Gilchrist is feeling a little, uh. Well, let's let him tell it:

quote:

PLEASE...Anybody that's ever been a fan of me please listen to this even if you don't believe in God. God made you and he loves you and by the way so do I and that's why I if I have ever done anything in my life I did it just to make you happy. So....If you ever think for one moment you are so sad you would want to end the miracle that you are by taking your own life, God loves you so much he doesn't want you to go to Heaven if that's the way that you want to go. Because he wants you to be loved and feel love while you are on this earth, and then to go meet him him in heaven. I know that life is rough and that we all hit rough spots and we all feel like we want to die at one time or another and God knew this too. Heknows everything. And he wants you to just take a deep breath; figure things out. Say a prayer to him because he'll know you haven't figured things out yet.

Just take a moment and pray, and ask God what you should do. I know God pretty well and he's gonna tell you 'I love you'; so calm down and realize even if you feel like no one on earth loves you, God loves you and he wants you to be happy. And then you just start figuring out what made you feel so bad and get that person or that situation away from your life because it, or they, or someone made you feel so bad that you wanted to leave this earth and you felt so bad about it. But you can't even go see God and all the people who died and live with him now forever. So please, if all the cartoons, or all of the things that I ever do mean anything to you honey, remember I just did that to make you happy.

And I'm telling you right now if you feel unhappy that makes me sad and makes God sad too and you can talk to God anytime you want even if sometimes you can't talk to me right away because I am off making somebody else happy. Maybe at someone at the fair where I'm working, one little boy or a girl who feels sad, or maybe through TV and movies and all the things I've done it's trying to make everybody feel happy instead of sad. I don't care about money. I care about you. And so does God. And I if you think I'm smart, no I'm' stupid. Because God is smarter than me and he is my boss.

Paragraphing is mine, because good luck reading that in one big block on his website. (Which was down for a little while.)

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I, for one, am glad to know that Guy Gilchrist's love for me is like God's love. Because I like cartoons.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Lowen SoDium posted:

I, for one, am glad to know that Guy Gilchrist's love for me is like God's love. Because I like cartoons.

It definitely reads as drunk talk-to-text to me, like those messages he left for the woman who said he assaulted her. Did Gilchrist drunk-edit his website in a weird fit of martyrdom, like he's Jesus Gilchrist? This assault accusation/alcohol/pills might be really getting to him now.

Oh my god, I just had a thought: what if his website's had that message for a few months?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I personally feel uncomfortable that Gilchrist is apparently working at a fair targeting young girls and boys that look sad. AND it's not because he needs the money.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

The signal jammer one seemed interesting, so I looked it up. The church is smack-dab in the centre of Naples, and there was a bit of arguing back and forth between the priest and nearby storeowners, since according to them the jammer also affected their customers' cell phones and, most importantly, their POS credit card terminals; the priest replied that he got a permit from the police for the signal jammer (it's illegal to operate one in Italy without authorization), and anyway he'd had it turned on for several months before announcing it and there were no complaints before that.

I don't know how it turned out in the end, as I can't find further details beyond the original 2014 newspaper article.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Mikl posted:

The signal jammer one seemed interesting, so I looked it up. The church is smack-dab in the centre of Naples, and there was a bit of arguing back and forth between the priest and nearby storeowners, since according to them the jammer also affected their customers' cell phones and, most importantly, their POS credit card terminals; the priest replied that he got a permit from the police for the signal jammer (it's illegal to operate one in Italy without authorization), and anyway he'd had it turned on for several months before announcing it and there were no complaints before that.

I don't know how it turned out in the end, as I can't find further details beyond the original 2014 newspaper article.

That is the best bit. It's like when people were complaining about all sorts of poo poo about a cell phone tower, only to be told that IT WASN'T EVEN loving TURNED ON

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Johnny Aztec posted:

That is the best bit. It's like when people were complaining about all sorts of poo poo about a cell phone tower, only to be told that IT WASN'T EVEN loving TURNED ON

On the other hand, if it's just strong enough to make the reception in nearby shops inconsistent rather than blocking it completely then the owners may have been complaining to their service providers for those several months, never suspecting that anyone would be crazy enough to use a signal jammer in the middle of a city.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah. Dustin has a lot of reasons to be thankful for that. :(

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (April 18, 2006)

Arlo and Janis Classic (April 18, 1996)

Garfield Classic (April 18, 1986)

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is going to be here a while.

This is one of my all-time favorites. I'm a sucker for time travel paradox gags.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Thanks, Sheriff Gianthead Tinyhands!

What happened to the bag of money anyways? No wonder Tor is so sad.

Mary Worth

Dare to dream, Wilbur.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

This storyline is a little weird to me. I understand it is hard to sex cats sometimes (especially kittens, I believe?), but is this really an issue with dogs?

Rex Morgan MD

Apartment 3-G

Merry Christmas to you, comic strip thread, from 1971!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Well, racism was pretty much inevitable the moment they said Robinson Crusoe.

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Everyone's proportions in this strip are so goddam weird. I would pay to see the artist attempt to draw the lower halves of their bodies in that first panel.

Johnny Walker posted:

This is one of my all-time favorites. I'm a sucker for time travel paradox gags.
My favorite Hitler vs time travelers comic:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Professor Wayne posted:

My favorite Hitler vs time travelers comic:

Believe it or not, there's a novel where Earth is invaded by aliens, and the humans have technology that allows them to call up soldiers from the past to fight for them -- so they decide it's a good idea to call on the loving Waffen SS. And yes, this is all meant to be serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

• Locked thread