Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

Didn't Joey beat Yugi canonically, and that's how he got his red eyes black dragon back? Or was that a filler thing

No that's literally what happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
However, that duel is never shown.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
in the latest movie yugi throws down with the badguy, kaiba and the badguy on magic without any magic of his own and pretty much fucks them all up like even kaiba had to pull a god card out of his rear end to go against the badguy

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Then they gently caress all that up by having Atem show up for real and make everyone look incompetent, even after Yugi proved he was gone for good. That was really lame.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

This discussion made go rewatch Joey vs. Marik, but I watched subs on Crunchyroll and lol the episode preview for the last turn

"Don't die Jounochi!"

"Next time on Yu-Gi-Oh, Jounochi Dies"

Like the episode title is literally "Jounochi Dies"

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
He would have one that one too if he stayed upright.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

This discussion made go rewatch Joey vs. Marik, but I watched subs on Crunchyroll and lol the episode preview for the last turn

"Don't die Jounochi!"

"Next time on Yu-Gi-Oh, Jounochi Dies"

Like the episode title is literally "Jounochi Dies"

This is exactly what this thread has made me do for the past five hours.

Old school subbed Yu-Gi-Oh is great.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

It's just a shame that it's not all there yet. At least it updates consistently, I guess - are they literally ever going to finish Arc-V?

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Joey loses a shadow game and is back on his feet a few episodes later, without anyone having to win his soul back or any of that. And if we're talking about TDSoD, he does the same thing in that movie too. Dude's sent to what is for all intents and purposes The Shadow Realm and fights his way out of hell by remembering the pharaoh real good.

Joey has so much burning shounen fighting spirit that death cannot claim him.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I've been rewatching the original (read: second) series, but subbed for the first time (mostly because by the time I thought "actually I DO want to watch a bunch of yugioh" the twitch marathon was in season 4). Aside from Duelist Kingdom, anyway, which I don't like very much and didn't care enough about to want to pay attention to, so I just had the dub going in the background. It's weird seeing all these little things the dub made changes to in Battle City. Censorship stuff aside, things like the Yugi vs Seeker duel where, in the dub, Seeker threatens to tear Joey's Red-Eyes in half if he tells Yugi about his Exodia strategy. Meanwhile originally he makes no such claims and it's entirely Yugi declaring he has no right to know his opponent's strategy and wants to play honorably. He winds up figuring it out by turn 3 either way.

Also:

Never change, Kaiba.

TriffTshngo fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Nov 10, 2017

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I really like how Mokuba is such an insufferable poo poo in the original. He's a little poo poo to everyone but Kaiba...and maybe Yugi.

It's amazing.

Rishido is loyal as gently caress. I want him as my friend.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Momomo posted:

Then they gently caress all that up by having Atem show up for real and make everyone look incompetent, even after Yugi proved he was gone for good. That was really lame.

I hate that so much. It totally misses the point of the end of the original series.

Honestly, I'm not that big a fan of the movie anyway. There's a lot about it that just rubs me the wrong way.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Dexie posted:

I hate that so much. It totally misses the point of the end of the original series.

Honestly, I'm not that big a fan of the movie anyway. There's a lot about it that just rubs me the wrong way.

Do tell! No one watched the movie with me so I'm not sure how people liked it or not. Plus I don't hang on Pojo's forums anymore so I dunno anyone to talk to about it. :v:

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Momomo posted:

yeah it was kinda lame but all atem did was draw the last card that yugi couldn't it's basically the same situation as with joey and marik but yugi gets to win

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wasn't the ending implying kaiba committed spiritual suicide just so he duel atem

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That would be Kaiba as gently caress

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Knowing Kaiba it wouldn't surprise me if he also invented a way back with a box of afterlife egyptian scraps

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Kaiba can't die, he still has to send cards into space to teach aliens how to duel.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Manga canon!

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I thought the movie was pretty good but not great. It could have easily been a lot worse, like the way they beat the big bad, but I am glad Yugi got to beat Kaiba all by himself.

CharlestheHammer posted:

That would be Kaiba as gently caress

That was rad as hell but I can't help but think Atem would have no way of dueling him since the card game doesn't seem that developed in Egypt.

It also meant Kaiba learned absolutely nothing from the whole affair. He should be finding a new rival in Yugi, not chasing after the guy who died thousands of years ago.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
There was a piece of art from one of the animators that had Kaiba reeling from one of Atem's attack, so I'm sure Atem would find a way to accept Kaiba's challenge. Although in second thought, Kaiba probably had one of those nifty new discs ready for Atem in his coat.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
We don't see their duel because it would take forever to drag out and stack up 40 stone slabs for Atem's deck.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tae posted:

Wasn't the ending implying kaiba committed spiritual suicide just so he duel atem

i guess we're not using spoilers but yeah he basically was spending the whole movie trying to find a way to use his computer to send him to the afterlife and i'm assuming since atem seems to be in his own egyptian afterlife as a pharaoh he should be basically a god and can make himself some cards

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Overall the movie was great fun, but ueah, echoing the setiments that Atem should have stayed gone. Besides that, my only other two complaints are The made up ruleset for the villain duels, they were pretty lame, and his motovation/backstory not really being explained all that well, leaving me to not give two shits about the lost children.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

This week's episode of Vrains was absolutely incredible. Holy poo poo, my sides.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Finally, good duel writing.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Someone using Soul Charge is the most realistic YGO has ever been.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Momomo posted:

It also meant Kaiba learned absolutely nothing from the whole affair. He should be finding a new rival in Yugi, not chasing after the guy who died thousands of years ago.

I don't know I thought it was hilarious that Everyone in the movie's going "Kaiba let it go for god's sake." and Kaiba just goes "gently caress all of you, I'm getting my salty runback." And through sheer force of will, he actually gets his rematch! It's why I love the big goof.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I love Kaiba because he's just this complete rear end in a top hat who listens to nobody, and also has no idea he's an rear end in a top hat. Like there's multiple parts of the story where he states that he's no thief and he earned everything he has through hard work, when his very first appearance is him beating the poo poo out of Yugi's grandpa and stealing his card

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

AlphaKretin posted:

This week's episode of Vrains was absolutely incredible. Holy poo poo, my sides.

Now that was some real Yu-gi-oh playing

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

Now that was some real Yu-gi-oh playing

That was the most realistic duel I've ever seen in this franchise. That said, I like Brave Max and hope he sticks around for a while.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 15, 2017

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Kaiba calling yugi and his friends the geek squad, geeks, nerds or whatever throughout the entire series dub was a master stroke from both the translation/localization team and Kaiba’s voice actor.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Kaiba calling yugi and his friends the geek squad, geeks, nerds or whatever throughout the entire series dub was a master stroke from both the translation/localization team and Kaiba’s voice actor.

a man who made a jet shaped like his favorite dragon trading card calling other people nerds.

edit: also the only duel he wins in the movie is his pretend fight with atem. i like to think that the real one curb stomps him in two moves at the end.

Elfgames fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Nov 22, 2017

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Kaiba definitely won his duel with Aigami where he ripped Obelisk out of hell. If your opponent quits, that's not a draw game.

He would also claim to be instrumental in winning the tag duel at the end. So that's two and a half wins if we're being modest about it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Next week's episode title is making me think VRAINS is about to do another recap episode.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

From the episode summaries, you're unfortunately correct. :argh:

They specifically promised there wouldn't be another one for a while after apologising for the most recent one too. It really sucks, because ever since after the second recap the series has actually been really good apart from the huge overdose of recaps.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Has anything really happened yet though? They've established who the good guys are, who the bad guys are, and what the stakes are. Mostly. That's it though. No plot twists or change of setting or any of that. Yusaku is still in Link VRAINS fighting the Knights of Hanoi to find the facts about his past and this was established in episode 1. How can they begin to justify being on their 4th or 5th clip show? Is there a writers strike or something?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Hjalmar posted:

Has anything really happened yet though? They've established who the good guys are, who the bad guys are, and what the stakes are. Mostly. That's it though. No plot twists or change of setting or any of that. Yusaku is still in Link VRAINS fighting the Knights of Hanoi to find the facts about his past and this was established in episode 1. How can they begin to justify being on their 4th or 5th clip show? Is there a writers strike or something?

The show has been a complete mess from the beginning. It's assumed that production was troubled because it took so long after the initial announcement of the series to get any real details on it. Arc-V was announced with a trailer, but VRAINS was announced with a couple pieces of concept art and then silence for almost six months. There was also a delay between the end of Arc-V and the start of VRAINS, and to my knowledge that's never happened before.

The assumption is that they had to shoehorn Speed Duels into the series at the last minute when Duel Links blew up in popularity, and there's a decent amount of evidence to support it. Between that, and the direction changing after a dozen episodes, I think it's safe to say there's something else going on behind the scenes and they're still trying to iron things out.

EDIT: It's rolled over into the actual card game somewhat as well. The three main boosters released so far in the VRAINS-era are drastically underpowered compared to the last few years worth of sets, so much so that the meta in both OCG and TCG right now consists mainly of decks left over from the Arc-V era. They've changed their entire booster design style as well: In the past, they'd introduce a new non-anime archetype and then give it follow-up support in the next set, but all of the non-anime archetypes save for one have been abandoned and not gotten the follow-up support they so desperately need.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 24, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Well I would have never checked out Duel Links if not for the show so I can't really say that was a completely wrong decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This week's episode had a G Gundam reference thus making up for last week's episode being yet another recap episode.

Even if the subs managed to completely miss the reference.