Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Inept posted:

Yeah there's no way to actually make sure an email is being opened on the same computer as the browser.

edit: also the scammer could just have the verification email forwarded to them if it's something dumb like a long code you have to copy and paste

coinbase uses standard 2fa with a 6 digit code via sms iirc and requires you to do it again after logging in to withdraw funds etc. there's no way this isn't monumental user error and/or an employee at the daycare

if they'd walked in and dropped $10k in cash into a donation box, and that went missing, they'd be just as hosed

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

poverty goat posted:

coinbase uses standard 2fa with a 6 digit code via sms iirc and requires you to do it again after logging in to withdraw funds etc. there's no way this isn't monumental user error and/or an employee at the daycare

if they'd walked in and dropped $10k in cash into a donation box, and that went missing, they'd be just as hosed

If you can get your target to go to your fake website and provide you information, it's not that hard to bypass most 2 factor devices aside from hardware tokens that get plugged in to USB/bluetooth

https://breakdev.org/evilginx-advanced-phishing-with-two-factor-authentication-bypass/

https://github.com/ustayready/CredSniper

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Inept posted:

If you can get your target to go to your fake website and provide you information, it's not that hard to bypass most 2 factor devices aside from hardware tokens that get plugged in to USB/bluetooth

https://breakdev.org/evilginx-advanced-phishing-with-two-factor-authentication-bypass/

https://github.com/ustayready/CredSniper

so, user error then

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

scammer over phone, who is currently trying to log in posted:

Okay, I'll be happy to help you. in order to keep your account secure, we're going to send you a security code. when you receive it, tell me what it is

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

poverty goat posted:

so, user error then

quote:

sounds like someone at the preschool is doing a bunch of cocaine

bitcoin and coinbase did this

Person says they gave the preschool a scammer number. Couldn't be they got scammed, must be employees doing drugs and blaming the bitcoins

Also this, SMS codes are garbage and usually don't time out for 10 minutes or more

thehoj
Jan 29, 2003

Who What Now posted:

Good luck liquidating it.

It's really not very hard to liquidate.
Kraken.com

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
That loving idiot just googled "coinbase support" and called whatever number showed up in the results. Didn't check that it was from Coinbase's site, probably didn't even click on the loving search result.

It's so bad that if I didn't believe people were monumentally stupid I'd assume this was some kind of insurance scam, but I don't know any org that would actually insure cryptocurrency. God, I hope that's not a thing.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Get your crypto current insurance here! For just US$ 50/month, we insure any amount of cryptocurrency against any kind of event. Claims will be paid in insurancecoins, which are the same as US$*.

^^ Not a scam, send me your monies right now! Refer your friends for 15% kickback**.

*) insurancecoins not convertible to anything else.
**) kickback paid out in insurancecoins

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
sir i would like to buy some of your insurancecoins

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
GPUs are cheap again, ROI ~6 months at current price/difficulty. When I mined for 1.5 months earlier this year my ROI was 4 months. Then I sold everything but the motherboard/cpu/ram on ebay for 1.5x my cost after fees & shipping, but these prices have me eyeballing getting back into the mining game :homebrew:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Spudalicious posted:

GPUs are cheap again, ROI ~6 months at current price/difficulty. When I mined for 1.5 months earlier this year my ROI was 4 months. Then I sold everything but the motherboard/cpu/ram on ebay for 1.5x my cost after fees & shipping, but these prices have me eyeballing getting back into the mining game :homebrew:

You're including electricity too right?

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Spudalicious posted:

dont mine a coin man, it's autism work.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

H2SO4 posted:

That loving idiot just googled "coinbase support" and called whatever number showed up in the results. Didn't check that it was from Coinbase's site, probably didn't even click on the loving search result.

It's so bad that if I didn't believe people were monumentally stupid I'd assume this was some kind of insurance scam, but I don't know any org that would actually insure cryptocurrency. God, I hope that's not a thing.

You can basically buy insurance for whatever you want.

BitPay insures their bitcoins, but a year or two ago when they lost 2 million bitcoins due to their CEO's credentials getting stolen the insurance company didn't pay out because the insurance agreement only covered the physical theft of bitcoins. Classic

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

No poo poo, it turns out that the "exchanges gonna rip you off and keep getting hacked" people are 100% dumb and making ridiculous arguments, just as I have been pointing out for months!
Funny that Ham Sandwiches is nowhere to be found when he's so obviously proven wrong yet again.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

IIRC that was right before I discovered that a major exchange had been hacked every month since June, and when I posted about it Ham Sandwiches didn't bother posting here for a whole week and later denied that those hacks ever happened (but the internet still remembers)

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Is this about the recent thing where Mods on r/bitcoin ran bots to downvote and upvote bot comments to drag money into Bitcoin cash?

*edit* this thing? https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/7eil12/evidence_that_the_mods_of_rbitcoin_may_have_been/

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Personally I thought that Bitcoin: Civil War was only okay, I was a much bigger fan of Bitcoin: CARL MARK FORCE IV

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Is there any way to get this poo poo (SALT, Ltc, Bitcoin, Etherium, Dogecoin, whatever the gently caress coin) off of an exchange, onto a physical usb drive, and lock it in a safe? Or is all of this bullshit still tied up in the "exchanges" where your butts are only so good until the exchange gets hacked and all you're left with is no butts and a massive poop emoji?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Avalanche posted:

Is there any way to get this poo poo (SALT, Ltc, Bitcoin, Etherium, Dogecoin, whatever the gently caress coin) off of an exchange, onto a physical usb drive, and lock it in a safe? Or is all of this bullshit still tied up in the "exchanges" where your butts are only so good until the exchange gets hacked and all you're left with is no butts and a massive poop emoji?

yeah, you can get your coins off an exchange and store the address and private key on your computer, on a USB stick or on a piece of paper. this is what "wallet" software actually does. it's a stupendous pain in the arse, though, so people use exchanges as (shoddy) banks (run by incompetent crooks).

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Yeah theres offline wallets like Electrum (sp?).

They may have backdoors or something though, who knows

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Yeah theres offline wallets like Electrum (sp?).

They may have backdoors or something though, who knows

it's ok! being your own financial institution chief security officer is totally easy and straightforward and

it's on the wiki posted:

Tomb is a simple tool to manage encrypted storage on GNU/Linux. Among its features are bind-hooks to set up a tomb's contents in the place where other programs expect them, for example in our case mount -o bind the .bitcoin directory in a user's home.

First install tomb from https://files.dyne.org/tomb (homepage is on http://www.dyne.org/software/tomb)

Among the requirements: zsh, cryptsetup, pinentry-curses, gnupg, sudo.

Recommended: wipe, dcfldd, steghide, qrencode.

Then create a tomb (we name it bitcoin) with three commands:

tomb dig -s 100 bitcoin.tomb

tomb forge bitcoin.tomb.key

tomb lock bitcoin.tomb -k bitcoin.tomb.key

Then open it

tomb open bitcoin.tomb

This will require you to input again the password you selected.

Once open the tomb contents are in /media/bitcoin.tomb

Move there your bitcoin wallet:

mv ~/.bitcoin /media/bitcoin.tomb/my-safe-wallet

Then create a file "/media/bitcoin.tomb/bind-hooks" and put a single line:

my-safe-wallet .bitcoin

Which means that every time the tomb is open, the directory my-safe-wallet needs to be bound to ~/.bitcoin. Just make sure an empty ~/.bitcoin directory exists in your home.

Now close the tomb and store its keys safely, make sure you memorize the password. Have a look at Tomb's documentation, there is a number of things you can do like steganography or printing out keys on a paper to hide and such.

That's it. Every time you like to access your wallet open the tomb and the .bitcoin will be in place. One can also store the bitcoin binary inside the tomb and even start the bitcoin client using the exec-hooks. Tomb's manual page "man tomb" explains the possibilities.

The advantage of this approach over an encrypted home is that it becomes extremely portable across computers and even online shells: a Tomb is just a file and its key can be stored far away, on different shells, usb sticks or mobile phones.

your mom will totally be at home with this procedure

(to be fair, they replaced this loving shitshow of a page with a simplified version a couple of weeks ago. the trouble is that you do still actually have to know an absolute shitload of technical detail to store bitcoins securely.)

divabot fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Nov 22, 2017

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer

divabot posted:

it's ok! being your own financial institution chief security officer is totally easy and straightforward

quote:

Time-locked wallets
An interesting unconventional solution. The idea is to use time-lock contracts to create a wallet which cannot be spent from until a certain date. One possible use-case might be by a gambling addict who locks up money for paying bills for a month, after a month has passed and their time-lock wallet is opened they use that money for paying bills instead of gambling.
Yes, he will use it to pay the bills.

EVERY aspect of this thing seems thought through for about 75%, the rest is just hand-waving.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

the insurance agreement only covered the physical theft of bitcoins.
lol that owns

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

QuarkJets posted:

Personally I thought that Bitcoin: Civil War was only okay, I was a much bigger fan of Bitcoin: CARL MARK FORCE IV

I'm seriously disappointed there's still no Coen Brothers-ish movie based on the escapades of the Bitcoin community. Seems like there's a lot of material to mine there.

(Pun intended).

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

cryptonuts please post more pictures of your bank accounts so you can have a sense of worth before they get hacked

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Tiberius Christ posted:

cryptonuts please post more pictures of your bank accounts so you can have a sense of worth before they get hacked

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

FogHelmut posted:

You're including electricity too right?

Yep, I use cryptocompare tools which let you specify power consumption and $/kwh, and it takes current difficulty/price into account, but not future difficulty increases or price shifts.

Which means that when ETH skyrockets to $8k that mining rig that had ROI of 6 months will be more like 6 days! :getin:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I want to short bitcoin. It was 10,400 in cad bucks last night. I watched that movie where autist Christian Bale phones some companies and they're like "Nobody bets against realestate!" And then he made a bunch of money while air drumming to Creeping Death.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

jonathan posted:

I want to short bitcoin. It was 10,400 in cad bucks last night. I watched that movie where autist Christian Bale phones some companies and they're like "Nobody bets against realestate!" And then he made a bunch of money while air drumming to Creeping Death.

You're going to run into the same issues that they did where the people you're betting against will manipulate the market for as long as possible.

Although at the same time I'm dying laughing just thinking about that comment where a Bitcoin proponent said trying to cash out 1.5 million would crater the market.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I prefer buying local and risking getting stabbed buying (empty) usb drives from strange nerds. Shop local, don't support your big box Bitcoin stores

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

jonathan posted:

I want to short bitcoin.

Do not do this.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Although at the same time I'm dying laughing just thinking about that comment where a Bitcoin proponent said trying to cash out 1.5 million would crater the market.
it wouldn't. on GDAX, selling $1.5 mil of bitcoin right now would drop the price from $8158 to $8120

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Uranium 235 posted:

it wouldn't. on GDAX, selling $1.5 mil of bitcoin right now would drop the price from $8158 to $8120

So its essentially a low volume penny stock?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Uranium 235 posted:

How do you get that number and does it take into account what other people do when they see $1.5 million sold? Not a smart rear end question, I'm actually curious. This whole thing is fascinating to me

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Uranium 235 posted:

except the order book is full of spoofer bots, so any orders down or up will jump away from you with any volume

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

COMRADES posted:

Do not do this.

this is funny because why not just put all your money and max out as many loans as possible going long?

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You should do neither of those things.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

How do you get that number and does it take into account what other people do when they see $1.5 million sold? Not a smart rear end question, I'm actually curious. This whole thing is fascinating to me
i just looked at the order book on the exchange, and at that time there were bids for about 200 bitcoins at $8120 or higher. so at that moment, you could sell 200 bitcoins and only drop the price to $8120. that's only a drop of ~0.5% which is small compared to bitcoin's daily volatility, so i don't think it would cause any serious shock. people will take notice of market orders that big, but they aren't rare and they don't cause significant changes in market psychology, from my observations.

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

Daily volume for BTC/USD is in the billions, there is a buyer and seller for each of those transactions, so no, selling $1.5 million in BTC would not crash the market.

edit: actually since BTC transactions are public, there are probably "whalewatchers" who would notice if someone with thousands of coins was mass selling them and that could lead to a chain reaction crash, but again I think 1-2 million is too small relative to bitcoin daily volume

GastonEatTheEggs fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

GastonEatTheEggs posted:

Daily volume for BTC/USD is in the billions, there is a buyer and seller for each of those transactions, so no, selling $1.5 million in BTC would not crash the market.

edit: actually since BTC transactions are public, there are probably "whalewatchers" who would notice if someone with thousands of coins was mass selling them and that could lead to a chain reaction crash, but again I think 1-2 million is too small relative to bitcoin daily volume

Is that for all crypto exchanges or just one?