Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

NBC showed a weird rear end ad for the NFL involving child rapist Lawrence Taylor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I've got a question about NFL half time shows. During the game we got yesterday in the UK, at half time of the Rams @ Eagles games, they went to the "VISA Half Time" show, but obviously Fox has other games on in that same window, so do they just cut to that show from each game no matter what time they reach the half?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I've got a question about NFL half time shows. During the game we got yesterday in the UK, at half time of the Rams @ Eagles games, they went to the "VISA Half Time" show, but obviously Fox has other games on in that same window, so do they just cut to that show from each game no matter what time they reach the half?

DJExile would probably have a better idea since he knows the industry, but I believe they record things whenever the first half ends in the earliest game and just play that back for every ensuing game when the break hits?

I'm not sure how that works with something exciting happening at the end of a half though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Basically it's most likely a mix of tape-delayed stuff and live stuff. Most times as a game reached halftime they'd cut 'live' to Jim Brown, or whoever's hosting the halftime show now, who'd give a quick hit then immediately throw it to commercial. Ideally you'd have every game ending at about the same time but that's just not gonna happen, so as the first game ends, whichever it is (let's say a Cleveland/Pittsburgh game), they likely do a live recap of the first half highlights, and then tape it as well. 5 minutes later the Detroit/Chicago game goes to halftime, and they can run the CLE/PIT highlights and do a live DET/CHI highlight. You can also tape some fairly generic "what do you think of Kizer's first half?" stuff to fill where needed.

This is a little easier with league like the EPL, where you know for sure that every game is going to hit halftime or end of the match in a pretty close window.

You're basically asking quite a bit of the editors and producers to get everything cut and thrown together consistently. It's not easy but it can get done.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Thanks for that, it's been something that I've wondered how they manage to do, especially as obviously here in the UK we don't get the half time shows that Americans do

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
For ages international broadcast of halftime in the premier league was just some naff stats and Kasabien's im on fire for 20 minutes.

Hell I kinda miss that tbqh.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

It's been pretty obvious that the group that bought UFC was kind of counting on massive rights fees once the Fox deal expires as a way to help subsidize their purchase. Let's see how that's working out for them!

quote:

The UFC’s seven-year deal with Fox ends next year. The current Fox deal is worth an average of $120 million per year, with the fee jumping to $160 million in the final year of the deal, sources said.

Fox allowed its exclusive negotiating window to lapse early last month without submitting a formal bid. Sources say the two sides would like to continue their deal, but as of now are far apart in price. Fox Sports President Eric Shanks told Endeavor CEO Ari Emanuel and co-President Mark Shapiro that Fox was prepared to make an offer worth around $200 million per year, less than half of the $450 million per year average the UFC wants.

Talks between the two are ongoing. Shanks has remained in steady contact with Emanuel and Shapiro, sources said.

Executives with CBS, ESPN, NBC Sports and Turner Sports took the UFC’s meetings over the past month, during which UFC executives presented a deck outlining the growth of the UFC and justifying why its media rights should increase.

Turner Sports executives showed the most interest in a potential deal, sources said. But uncertainty over the pending AT&T-Time Warner merger, which currently is experiencing trouble as it moves through the Justice Department, has dampened enthusiasm for a UFC deal. A merged AT&T-Time Warner could let DirecTV handle the UFC’s pay-per-view, AT&T oversee UFC’s mobile apps and Turner use UFC content on its channels and OTT platform.

They'll come out with more than they got from Fox the first go round, but I don't think they'll get anywhere near what they're asking for. Kinda hope the rights fee bubble is about to burst but I won't pretend to be optimistic about it.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Other than "we're the live programming you crave", how can UFC justify asking that much? MMA is nowhere near the same level it was when Fox first picked them up.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Dango Bango posted:

Other than "we're the live programming you crave", how can UFC justify asking that much? MMA is nowhere near the same level it was when Fox first picked them up.

It's literally just live programming. I mean, you can look at their numbers over the years and the drop in viewership is staggering. It doesn't help that their biggest stars never see Fox and stick to PPV and nothing else. People know they're not going to get mega stars on broadcast TV and the ratings reflect that. I posted all their numbers up to 24 (couldn't find 25) but 26 is a genuinely big name in Robbie Lawler so if the ratings are poo poo for that as well they've got an issue.

quote:

UFC on Fox 1: Velasquez (c) vs. dos Santos 2011 - 5,700,000
UFC on Fox 2: Evans vs. Davis 2012 - 4,570,000
UFC on Fox 5: Henderson (c) vs. Diaz 2012 - 4,400,000
UFC on Fox 6: Johnson (c) vs. Dodson 2013 - 4,220,000
UFC on Fox 7: Henderson (c) vs. Melendez 2013 - 3,700,000
UFC on Fox 10: Henderson (c) vs. Thomson 2014 - 3,220,000
UFC on Fox 22: VanZant vs. Waterson 2016 - 3,178,000
UFC on Fox 14: Gustafsson vs. Rumble 2015 - 3,049,000
UFC on Fox 20: Holm vs. Shevchenko 2016 - 2,975,000
UFC on Fox 9: Johnson (c) vs. Benavidez II 2013 - 2,800,000 (tied for 10th)
UFC on Fox 16: Dillashaw (c) vs. Barao II 2015 - 2,800,000 (tied for 10th)
UFC on Fox 13: dos Santos vs. Miocic 2014 - 2,800,000 (tied for 10th)
UFC on Fox 17: dos Anjos (c) vs. Cerrone II 2015 - 2,781,000
UFC on Fox 15: Machida vs. Rockhold 2015 - 2,745,000
UFC on Fox 18: Rumble vs. Bader 2016 - 2,685,000
UFC on Fox 19: Evans vs. Texeira 2016 - 2,500,000 (tied for 16th)
UFC on Fox 12: Lawler vs. Brown 2014 - 2,500,000 (tied for 16th)
UFC on Fox 11: Werdum vs. Browne 2014 2,500,000 (tied for 16th)
UFC on Fox 4: Shogun vs. Vera 2012 - 2,400,000 (tied for 19th)
UFC on Fox 3: Diaz vs. Miller 2012 - 2,400,000 (tied for 19th)
UFC on Fox 8: Johnson (c) vs. Moraga 2013 - 2,380,000
UFC on Fox 23: Shevchenko vs. Pena - 2017 2,189,000
UFC on Fox 24: Johnson (c) vs. Reis 2017 - 1,996,000
UFC on Fox 21: Condit vs. Maia 2016 - 1,983,000

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

this goes here because it is very good

https://twitter.com/World_Wide_Wob/status/933190058806362112

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Dango Bango posted:

A lot of it is because their demos skew younger than most sports and advertisers like that but they’re still asking for way more than they’re going to get.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://youtu.be/iY4ljn9yAso

35 seconds in.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

throw start="35" into the tag to deep link a start time. Also are we watching this cause the dude farts at 37 seconds in because I can't see any other reason to watch this

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Wrong thread or wrong link?

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
I think that's Lupica who farted.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Boosh! posted:

I think that's Lupica who farted.

Yeah, Lupica farted. You can see his face tense up as his body deflates a little.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

http://awfulannouncing.com/espn/method-man-blunt-dan-le-batard-lacrosse-stugotz.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/14700384148783104

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

TAke a look, y'all: rear end.jpg

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Saturday's OSU/Michigan game was Fox's highest rated regular season college football game ever

quote:

The Game, airing on Fox for the first time, drew a 6.7 metered market rating, surpassing October’s Ohio State-Penn State matchup, which garnered a 6.4. Both contests trail various Fox bowl games and the 2013 Ohio State-Michigan State Big Ten Championship.
Despite Fox’s strong ratings for Ohio State-Michigan, that contest was actually not the most watched college football game of the day. That distinction belongs to No. 6 Auburn’s upset of No. 1 Alabama, which scored a 7.8 overnight rating on CBS, the best of any college football game this season and of any CBS regular-season matchup since the 2013 Iron Bowl.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Looks like The Ringer now has JJ Reddick's podcast on their network.

https://twitter.com/ringer/status/935241126038114306

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Looking forward to it. The Yahoo version was fun and now he's embedded with a really interesting team.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ShannonSharpe/status/935213939637362688

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bill Walton continues to own

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/935866503123144705

i heard it's going to be mainly behind the scenes people, but still

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/935866948533006336

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 29, 2017

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Happy Holidays! Now get out.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
It's the most wonderful time of the year

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Someday we are all owed Darren Rovell justifying his own dismissal on cost/benefit grounds

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
They needed to cut a minute from the end-of-year credits to fit in more hot takes.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/johnborukNBCS/status/935933310475423750

I think we went a whole couple hours in between philadelphia reporters being awful, thank god john boruk stepped in to correct that

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ElwoodCuse posted:

Someday we are all owed Darren Rovell justifying his own dismissal on cost/benefit grounds
We all know he will somehow escape dismissal despite not having any real purpose on the network

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
ESPN is never getting rid of Rovell because he's the designated brown-noser for their corporate sponsors

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/BBCAMERICA/status/934980367794221056

This poo poo will be appointment loving television :munch:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Benne posted:

ESPN is never getting rid of Rovell because he's the designated brown-noser for their corporate sponsors

They can pay someone 1/100th what he gets to parrot press releases and steal tweets from actual content creators

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/935983429900029952

the 7-11pm shows on espnnews are done as of tomorrow

just shut down that channel, there's barely anything original on it outside of the random college game

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/BBCAMERICA/status/934980367794221056

This poo poo will be appointment loving television :munch:

ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

ElwoodCuse posted:

They can pay someone 1/100th what he gets to parrot press releases and steal tweets from actual content creators

Yes but what about the brand value of the source delivering that important information

(guarantee he quotes his own Q Score in contract negotiations)

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Didn’t they just start pushing SportsCenter on Snapchat?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ESPN's NBA viewership has risen 24% from this time last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

This just in: The NBA rules